Chapter Twelve

Forgotten Memories

Chapter 12

 

Seohyun was feeding Huiyoung when Kyuhyun came back from his late schedule. She was watching some sort of drama and she was into it. Of course, she would look every and then to Huiyoung to see if she was drinking or if she was sleeping. 

She followed Sooyoung's advice of regular and frequent feeding and she noticed improvement already. They were close to running out of milk from the hospital so she was glad that would no longer be a big problem to them.

He approached her and gave her hug, also cradling their little girl.

"Where's Dahyun?" he asked.

"He went to sleep an hour ago." she replied. She secretly tried lowering her top to cover more of her exposed skin from feeding. 

Kyuhyun leaned back and went to for a shower. She sure knew he had a long day. He was still a celebrity. A job that is no easy like the others.

She made sure Huiyoung burped before placing her down in her made-up bed in the living room. She went to the kitchen to prepare her husband dinner. She never expected she would get to experience married life. Her dream became reality. It scared her of course. What if his expectations of her were too high and she disappointed him. These types of thoughts kept circling her head. Her headache would come too when she thought of it.

Kyuhyun came out not long after, his hair still damp. 

"Have a seat, Oppa. Dinner will be ready shortly," she informed him. He gave her a smile and sat at the table. The cutleries were already arranged. A bowl of warm white rice in front of him. She placed the freshly cooked stew. The simmering of the soup and the smell were salivating. 

Kyuhyun started eating and was too focused on digging in. Seohyun could see he was tired. She appreciated him being to patient with her. The night before, instead of getting to bed early and resting to prepare for his work the next day he was hands-on with Huiyoung. Whenever she was hungry or that her diaper needed changing, he would get up the bed first before Seohyun could even move. 

She felt sad he would think of her as incompetent. Yes, this was new to her because not only she was looking after a newborn, she was also looking after a toddler. Dahyun was a good boy but like any other kid, his curiosity of the world was sky high.

"It's delicious," Kyuhyun said, acting energised after a few spoonfuls of her dish.

Seohyun went away but came back shortly carrying a small towel. She gently placed it on his head as she started rubbing his damp hair dry. It took a lot of confidence for Seohyun to do this. 

"You're going to catch a cold if you don't dry your hair properly," she said, continuing her ministrations.

He stopped eating and put down his chopsticks. He gently took her hand to lead her to his side before pulling her down to his lap. She stiffened at first and it was then Kyuhyun remembered of the fact that Seohyun had amnesia. He thought the action he did was making her uncomfortable. He was going to let her go but when he felt relax and continue to dry his hair. 

He missed her so much. But he had to hold back. He was the Seohyun he knew but it wasn't the same for her. She was adjusting to her new life, a new life she could have turned away from but decided to face it head on. He could see the exhaustion and he was grateful she wasn't giving up.

The gentle rubbing was soothing for him. "You don't have to do this if you don't feel comfortable."

She gave him a glare before intensifying her rub on his scalp to the point where she might have damaged a few of his hair strands. She was too comfortable. If she was indeed uncomfortable like he said, she would not have decided on staying with him and their two children. If she was uncomfortable, she would have flinched back every time he was close to her. She would have asked their parents to stay with them.

But here she was. If it was possible, she would want to be as close to him as possible. If she could, she would kiss him there and then. But she wouldn't. She couldn't. The guilt of being beside him buried her wants. 

Her resolve made her leave the comfort of his lap. She fixed herself before telling him to resume his meal. Her face felt too warm and too red. A nice cold bath might help. 

"You should eat some more before it gets cold." She said as she went back to her seat, adjacent to his.

He nodded is response. He had a spoonful of the white rice and then the stew before scooping another spoonful and offering it to Seohyun. She took a bite. 

The suddenly heard crying from the living room. It was Huiyoung. Probably crying out of hunger.

Kyuhyun was once again faster than Seohyun. He was up before Seohyun could move a muscle. He went to Huiyoung and picked her up. "How is my baby girl?" He cooed. 

Huiyoung stopped crying. It seemed she was a daddy's girl. He took a quick sniff at the baby's diaper and grimaced at the possible scent that intruded his nose. He placed her back on the made-up bed, went to the bedroom to take some wipes and fresh diapers. He changed her quite efficiently. It showed how much he was involved in raising his kids.

According to Seohyun's friends, most of  men would not even touch a dirty diaper. Of course these friends of hers never had children yet. Society is changing and even men are more involved in rearing their offspring. Her mom once told her her father never changed or feed her when she was an infant. He was never alone with Seohyun when she was a baby. He rarely held her. It was only when she was a bit older that her father showed some 'love'. 

"Joohyun-ah, is it time for her to eat?" He asked as he fixed Huiyoung's onesie.

She shook her head. "I fed her when you arrived. My guess is that she is crying because she wants your full attention. See, when you picked her up, she stopped crying."

He caressed Huiyoung's soft, short hair and then her chubby cheek. Her eyes full of curiosity of the man who was carrying her. "Shall we play, my little princess?" he asked using a baby voice. Huiyoung answered with coo. 

"Let me hold her while you eat, Oppa. At least finish your food properly." Seohyun held out her hand, gesturing for him to hand the baby over. 

He cheekily shook his head and sat back down, carrying Huiyoung on his left arm and the chopsticks on his right hand. He would look at her and make funny faces from time to time. Seohyun felt she was forgotten. She was kicked out of their own little bubble. She did not mind... They were pleasant to look at.

Seeing Kyuhyun being a doting dad gave her butterflies in her tummy. She already saw how he was with Dahyun. She was lucky indeed to have married a person like Kyuhyun.

Little footsteps heard running towards them. Both of them looked to the source: a sleepy Dahyun who was rubbing one of his eye from sleepiness. Once his eyes were set on Kyuhyun, he ran towards his father at record speed. Kyuhyun placed down his chopsticks and gladly took him in his other arm and gave him kisses. "How is my big boy? Were you well behaved?"

Appearing to be still sleepy, Dahyun only nodded his head. Seohyun remembered once again how lucky she was with her family. 

"Dahyunnie, why don't you come to me and let your father eat. He must be still hungry. Let mommy hug you instead." Dahyun did not hesitate to climb out from his father's embrace and into his mother's. He got comfortable and not long after he was fast asleep.

The same scene went on for a bit longer. Both Seohyun and Kyuhyun enjoying their bonding moment of the day.   

 

The sun was shining very brightly. Only if she could spend some time with her children. Unfortunately, that was not the case. That morning, her mother visited her. Kyuhyun had another early schedule and left at dawn. Being a mother herself, she noticed how Seohyun did not look well and insisted that she go to the hospital. The headache was persistent but Seohyun did not think too much about it. 

After being threatened by her mother if she did not go, she finally went. Her father drove her to the hospital and accompanied her.

By the time she came back home, Kyuhyun was also home. Not even a chance of setting her bag down, Kyuhyun was already asking a lot of questions. "Are you okay? Is something wrong? What did the doctor say?"

While in hospital, a few tests were done. Blood test, scans and more neurological assessments. While also there, she was advised to visit her OB-GYNE for post-natal check-up which she had not done since she gave birth.

"Dr. Kang said all my tests were normal. But he did want to keep an eye on me and advised if I could stay a night in the hospital."

"You should stay, Joohyun-ah." Worry etched on Kyuhyun's face. "I can look after the kids. Your health matters more."

"They're not going to do anymore tests. I am just staying there to sleep. There is no point."

"If you feel any discomfort at all. Let me know and I'll send you there."

He was such a worry-wart. Her mother was too but seeing Kyuhyun all worked-up, she left the worrying to her son-in-law. 

The ache were like waves, it comes and it goes. Sometimes at unexpected times. Another episode of this headache happened while she was showering after their conversation after her hospital visit. Hospitals were not exactly the cleanest despite the smell of anti-septic everywhere. 

She felt like her head was being smashed and crushed. This was worse. It made her crouch down to the floor as she held her head in between her hands, a gesture that may help prevent her head from actually being split apart. She tried her best to keep her voice down but failed because Kyuhyun was at the door looking worried yet again.

Seohyun could not hear him. She was sure he was calling her name but the pain was too intense. And all of a sudden she was lifter from her position and was settled in bed. Everything felt serene all of a sudden and a rush of memories came like the sand slowly descending to the other chamber of a hourglass. 

"Joohyun-ah! Joohyun-ah!" Kyuhyun was calling out to her. She reached towards him to re-assure him she was okay as she could not find her voice yet. Her mind was all too juggled up from the pain and the new memories. 

The memories were like pieces of jigsaw puzzle. She knew each picture of the piece yet did not understand the picture unless she solved it. One memory was of a bloodied pavement. A small body dismembered, all twisted in weird ways she did know the body could be capable. She knew the body was broken but the pain that came along with it must be intense. 

Another memory came to her mind, the first time Kyuhyun confessed to her. It was sudden and unexpected but she was content. What she thought was a one-sided love became mutual. 

Another memory of when she was heavily pregnant with Huiyoung. It was during the time they took the family picture that she saw on Kyuhyun's phone. Seohyun could feel her face was happy but there was wrenching in her guts. Was that one of those false contractions? Or was it something else? She did not know.

These images were circling her mind like a broken VHS tape or a GIF. She tried remembering past those but all she got was a more severe throbbing in her head. And then her vision turns black.

 


A/N 

Woot Woot! Another writer's block. I'm getting it quite frequently now. I do write my ideas but then I would forget how I would approach that idea and put it into writing. 

Nothing else to be said but....

 

ENJOY!