Chapter Nine

Forgotten Memories

Chapter 9

 

It was nearing midnight when Seohyun finally arrived in her house, more like her parents' house. She lost track of time when she was with Kyuhyun and it was him that reminded her that it was time to go home. At that moment, she didn't feel like going to a place where the truth was hiddden away from her. However, Kyuhyun talked her out of it, explaining it in the most optimistic way as he could. He said, "Knowing the truth can place a heavy burden on the rate of your recovery, I know you know this is the main reason why they kept it away from you all this time. All they want is for you to get better and then they will tell you everything whether you remember or not. They are thinking that revealing the truth now is not the right time." He kept repeating those words over and over again until I could fully understand.

He drove her back to her house and went in with her to apologize to her parents when he saw that the lights in their house were still brightly lit despite nearing midnight. Of course they were worried. Apparently, Seohyun's phone was switched off this whole time. He had a gut feeling that if he wouldn't be there, it'll make everything worse.

As they guessed, her parents were sitting and waiting in the living room, each with a stern expression especially her father. But when Kyuhyun entered their field vision, their menacing aura dissipitated. Fear flashed through their eyes. "Kyuhyun, what are you doing here?"

Kyuhyun greeted them with a bow. "I'm sorry for bringing her home late. We met by chance in the hospital and we were... catching up on our memorable trainee days, isn't that right Seohyun?"

What is this...? She sensed something different about the way he talked to them. 

"Y-yes," she agreed hesitantly.

"Hospital?" her mother asked, unsure if she heard it right. 

"Yes, my wife just recently gave birth so she came to visit with our other friends from the company," he was so good at keeping his face straight that made Seohyun impressed.

"T-that's right!" she didn't want his effort to waste. She was unsure of what he was doing at the moment but she was sure he will explain later. "I met the others by chance when I had my check-up. I asked them if it was okay to tag along. A-and we had dinner that's why I came home late."

"How time flies. Can't believe she's an old lady now," he teased which earned a slap on his arm from Seohyun.

"Says the one who is actually three years older than me. You may be my senior in the company but I will not tolerate that." Their acting continued on.

Both her parents looked relieved and this did not escape Seohyun's eye. "Thank you Kyuhyun for bringing her home," her father joined in.

Kyuhyun tilted his head down and left without ushering a single word. Seohyun was a bit disappointed but there must be something he was planning on because of the excuses he started blurting out. He could've just told them the truth that both of them spent a long time together because she found out about her accident and also her baby. She wanted to figure out his intentions. 

After excusing herself from her parents, she went directly to her room and locked herself in. As she predicted, her phone rang and she picked it up right away. "What was that?"

A deep chuckle was heard first. 'I'm sorry but I had to do that.'

Seohyun ran her hand through her hair and plopped down the bed. As expected, she was tired without realizing until she felt her back on the soft pink covers of her bed. All she wanted to do was close her eyes, sleep and to not think anymore but before that, she had to get explainations from the man on the other side of the phone.

"To be honest, I felt irritated when you did that."

'You mean when I called you an old lady?'

"That's not what I meant," she sighed. "I wanted to confront them." She waited for his reply but got none. She continued on, "No matter how much I try to understand, I just can't find any reason why they had to keep everything away from me. My daughter was hanging on to her dear life and all they tell me is to relax? What type of parent am I when my baby is struggling and needs a mother's care? Wouldn't I be called a monster?"

No answer came from the other side of the call. She waited a few more seconds and thought she went too far. Kyuhyun was already on her side, she knew, but as her husband he was trying to be practical and empathetic on his in-laws views. Sure, what he would have done was something completely different but he respected the decision of her parents as they know her best. Of course, he knew his wife really well but he respected her paarent's decision more at that moment as he was still shaken after the accident.

'I was there, wasn't I?' he said in a soft voice. 'I completely understand what you are feeling and I want to apologize for everything. But remember, they are thinking all of this for you. It's not for selfish reasons that they kept everything from you and acted like nothing big happened. They are your parents. It was difficult wnough for both of them when they heard their only daughter was in the hospital on her deathbed along with their grandchild. Please understand them. They mean no harm.'

"What if my daughter really died? What would be the difference of knowing I was in an accident that nearly killed my baby to knowing my baby has died because I was the cause of it? The answer is simple. Learning that my child died would hurt me more than knowing I was a woman in my mid-thirties and married. And if I knew that my baby has a chance of living, I would want to be there because I am the mother and that is my child." Seohyun's tears was unstoppable and her chest tightened even more after the thought of her child dying. She wanted to erase this thoughts and instead reassured herself that her daughter was fine, she was alive and thanked the heavens for giving her child a chance to be loved and cared for.

'I'll talk to you tomorrow. You had a very difficult day today.' His deep voice soothed her to her soul. It was making her feel that everything would be alright. All these were just bumps in the road of their long journey.

"Okay. Can I see her tomorrow?"

'Of course you can. You have to come and be by her side.'

A smile appeared on her face as soon as the heavy feeling in her chest evaporated and disappeared. He was too perfect and it made her question the universe of what she did to deserve such a man.

"See you then."

'Have a good rest. I love you Joohyun-ah.'

Seohyun's heart started beating faster and she could feel her face warming up. They were husband and wife but she was unsure whether she loved him or not. After the whole reveal, everything has changed including her feelings. Was her feelings, of what she thought was love, a remnant of the past Seohyun? She was sure she had feelings of love for him but was it enough? Seohyun felt like a completely different person so would the love she felt be more like what she felt when she was 24 years old. She didn't know. But she knew something more certain.

"I love you too,so much." Seohyun was close to tearing up again but she ended the call before she could let Kyuhyun hear her sob.

 

 

 


A/N

Short update to let yeeeeeee know I'm still here xD

Of course I am! I just got lazy. Like you know how after all exams you decide to take a short break (by being updated with kdramas and fanfics and all) but then turns to be a vveeeeeeerrryyyyyyy long break. A year was too much but recently i did notice I was getting even MORE lazy. Yup.

So anyways, I'm still here and I really can't leave this unfinish. I may write from time to time but I'm unsure on when to update (hopefully not after a year).

Again, please let me know if there are any mistakes (because I know even myself I get a bit irked with wrong grammar and spelling [FYI: I am bad at those]).