Chapter One

Forgotten Memories

 

Chapter 1

 

 

 

Seohyun could not remember what happened to her but she clearly knew the place she was in. A hospital. White walls all around her, an IV bag dripping just above her head and the beeping of the monitor gave her the idea of where she was. Something major must have happened to her as pain was shooting across her body, from her head down to her toes. She was awoken by the losing effectiveness of the analgesia.

She adjusted her head and saw a woman with her head on the bed while holding onto her hand. The face was too familiar for her not to recognise. How could she not? It was her own mother. Seohyun couldn't pinpoint it exactly but there was something different about her mother.

"Mom?" even though her voice barely came out as a whisper, the woman immediately woke up and when she saw Seohyun's opened eyes, a tear escaped and thanked the heavens for this wonderful miracle. 

"I was so worried. You have been sleeping for five days and even the doctors didn't know what's wrong."

Seohyun tried to speak but her dry throat prevented her from doing so. Her mother immediately noticed this and poured her a glass of water before helping her drink it. 

"What happened?" Seohyun asked after having a few sips of water.

"There was a child crossing the road and there was an incoming car. You jumped in to save the child," her mother was in tears once again. "What you did was really reckless but I'm glad both of you are okay."

Seohyun kept thinking back if she ever did save a child but if her memory served her right, she had never saved a child that was nearly run over by a car. Heck, she had never saved anybody that was going to be crashed by a speeding car. What was her mother talking about? 

"What do you mean, mom? I don't remember doing anything like that." 

"What do you mean?"

"I don't remember what happened."

Her mother's face showed worries, lots of them. Her mother's optimistic side was thinking that this was just a simple memory loss due to trauma and that Seohyun would remember everything in no time. 

"I'll call the doctor to check on you, just in case." Her mother left the room and Seohyun was left alone.



The doctor arrived half an hour later along with a nurse and Seohyun's mother. The doctor checked her vital signs, neurological observations and a few more examinations as well as asking her a few questions. 

"How do you feel, Joohyun-ah?" the doctor asked after doing all necessary examination. 

Seohyun was wondering why the doctor was acting familiar with her and she barely knew the guy. Usually, doctors would introduce themselves when meeting a patient or client for the first time and call them with honorifics unless being told it is fine to be informal.

"I…. I'm fine," she replied. 

"Relax. There is nothing to be scared about now that you are awake. Plus, it's just me, your high school classmate, Kang Ilhwon." 

"Kang Ilhwon?! The gangster?! You are a doctor now?!"

Kang Ilhwon was one of the 'bad students' during her high school years. Low grades, bad reputation and hideous hairstyle. Even the teachers disliked him.

He chuckled in embarrassment, "There is no need to repeat that reaction. Once, during our high school reunion, is enough."

What reunion? She thought. But something else buried that idea, "Were you perhaps a genius? It has only been around five, six years since we graduated from high school."

Time stopped in the hospital room where she was admitted. Dr. Kang Ilhwon and her mother turned their heads and looked at each other with fear clearly shown in their faces. He looked back at Seohyun, hoping that it wasn't what he thought it would be. 

"Joohyun-ah, how old do you think you are?" he asked.

She looked at him weirdly. Surely he knew how old she was since they were old classmates. Their ages should roughly be the same.


 

"I'm twenty-four."

Her answer made her mother faint.


 



Seohyun was sitting on the bed while looking outside the window. She was exhausted after what happened afterwards. More nurses were called into the room so that they could help her mother who was unconscious on the floor. Seohyun couldn't move the way she would have liked to help her mother but because of the pain, she couldn't move a single muscle unless done very slowly. She then went to have an MRI scan of her head after everything has calmed down a bit. Ilhwon continued asking her questions as he checked the condition of the rest of her body. The results came back normal and questions started circulating in his mind as to what caused her memory loss.

Her father arrived a few minutes after her MRI scan with a plastic bag filled with her favorites. Similar to her mother, her father's face was very different, like a lot of time has passed since she last saw him. And it finally clicked. Both of her parents looked way older. 

Before she could continue with that though, her dad gave her a pat on the head and asked her, "How are you feeling, Joohyun-ah?" 

She showed him a smile that conveys she was alright as to not make him worry any further. 

"I'm fine, dad. They were all panicking but I'm fine. Everything is normal."

"That's great. I am just glad that both of you are okay after the accident," he said as he caressed her hair. "You made me age twenty years older and I still want to look handsome for my grandchildren."

"You are so funny, dad. You still have a hundred years to live so you'll still meet your great-great grandchildren. And about the child I saved, I haven't heard anything about it so I don't know if that child is fine." 

"That little girl you bravely saved only had a few bruises. Apart from that, she was fine and was sent home on the same day. I talked to her parents just before I came in and they kept apologizing. Of course, I told them that everything was fine. All three of you are fine."

"Three? Don't you mean two?" 

"No, it's three. That little girl, you and..." Her father noticed there was something wrong. Since the time he came, there was no word about it. Seohyun didn't look too worried and he knows his daughter pretty well.

"What's wrong, dad?" It was Seohyun's turn to notice something wasn't right. He wasn't looking good. His breathing rate increased and deepened. 

"Umm… where is your mother?" he asked Seohyun in a slight hurry.

"Don't avoid the question, dad. And mom is in the next roo-"

Just before she could finish, the door opened and her mother entered the room. Her father immediately went to her and guided her out of the room. The door wasn't closed properly so Seohyun could only hear bits of their conversation.

'How's your condition? I heard you fainted...'

'I'm fine... Seohyun.... something is wrong....'

'…… where is Dahyun?.…..'

'…..company …… members……'

'…… she should not be stressed….'


They mentioned more but it was not clear enough for her to hear it properly. They mentioned a few names and some were not familiar and it made her think if she missed something important. 

Her thoughts were cut when her mother called her name. Both her parents have come in while she was day dreaming.

"Yes mom," she replied, looking at her mother's face.

"We have something to tell you and you must listen carefully, okay? I know you are confused that's why I will explain everything to you. But I want you to promise me, you have to remain calm," her mother held Seohyun's hand and gave a reassuring smile.

"It might surprise you at first but this is important. Don't worry. We are always here," her father held her other hand.

Seohyun had a lot of questions that she wanted to ask but she let her parents talk because she was sure the answers were there.

"Joohyun-ah," her mother started. "The reason you can't remember anything prior to waking up is because you have temporary amnesia. You didn't lose all of your memories but only a segment of it. According to Dr. Kang, it's not that serious and your missing memories will come back but you may have a hard time adjusting."

"W-what do you mean?" she asked, still a bit confused.

"Joohyun-ah, you lost eight years worth of memories. Meaning, you are already thirty-two years old."

 

Seohyun's mind was trying to process the huge information provided by her mother. Without the tight grip of her parents' hands holding hers, she was so sure she would break down. For the rest of the day, they comforted the shocked Seohyun and never left her side. Their daughter lost the most precious memories of her life. It was as difficult for them to see their precious child suffer like this.

 

 

 


A/N

First chapter!!!! and it's already predictable xD

I have been thinking a lot nowadays and I usually don't think. I just go with the flow.

But today I kept thinking of what would happen if either Kyuhyun or Seohyun started dating and its not to each other. I would be happy but not as happy if its not them and also I would probably stop writing SeoKyu stories xD except if they are dating each other of course but that happening is flat zero percent (Seokyu dating).

 

xD oops sorry for ranting a bit (if that's what you call ranting)

I hope you enjoyed the first chapter ^^

Saranghaeyo <3

 

04/17/17 : Edited