When Worse Turns to Worst

Young Love

 

I was about to press the down button when I heard a 'ding' sound and I knew the elevator was on the same floor. I waited for it to open and I was surprised with what I saw. 

Zico was on his knees and had his arms wrapped around Chaerin's shoulder. A tray was lying on the floor and there were many broken pieces of glass. Chaerin was sitting on her legs with her head hung low. Blood stained the side of her shirt and she was sobbing quietly.

 

"Chaerin!" I immediately ran to Chaerin and pushed Zico away from her. I made a mental note to apologize to him later. Right now, I need to attend to Chaerin. "Chae!" My hand rose into her hair, pulling her head closer. I could hear her soft sobs as she buried her tear-stained face in my chest. "Chae~"

 

"She accidentally stabbed herself with the big pin..." Zico pointed to the pin that was loosely attached at the side of Chaerin’s shirt. “It’s supposed to be a safety pin but…” he didn’t continue his joke when I looked at him coldly. I was still Chaerin’s protective boyfriend after all. An ex, that is.

 

“OMO! What happened? Pudong-ah!!!” Dara noona was with Minji and they both ran to us. I draped my arms around Chaerin’s shoulder and gently pulled her up. I noticed that she wasn’t bleeding that much so I tried not to be as exaggerated like how I was earlier. “Pudong-ah!! What---” she paused when she saw the unfamiliar face. “Oh. Annyeong haseyo!” She bowed awkwardly to Zico.

“Ah, annyeong haseyo, sunbaenim.”

“I think you’re the artist Chaerin and Jiyong will be working with, right?”

“Ah, ne.” Zico nodded.

“Ah… Mingkki-ah!” she gave her dongsaeng a light push. “Why don’t you keep him company for awhile? You two should eat.” The maknae nodded and left with Zico.

“Jiyong!!! What have you done to my Baby Rin!!” Dara punched my arm!

“Noona!” She might look thin but let me tell you, she has the strength of Hercules. She was looking at me with a murderous stare and I pretended not to be bothered by it. “Chaerin just stabbed herself with a pin. It’s nothing serious.” I told her. I was still supporting Chaerin and I felt her move her head to nod.

“Nothing serious?! She’s bleeding!”

“That’s a minor bleeding. You don’t need to worry that much.”

“He’s right, unnie. Don’t worry about me.” Chaerin reasoned out. She pulled herself away from me, her hand finding the blood-stained part of her shirt. “I’ll change my clothes.” Her soft mumblings were hard to miss. From the looks of it, she’s complaining about her shirt. I looked at it closely with pursed lips. Her tee must be an Irene Alvarez. This girl is so cute, I thought. “Ah, unnie, please ask help from a janitor.” She pointed to the floor which was full of broken pieces of glass and scattered food.

“I’ll come with you.” I went next to her.

“I’m fine. I can go by myself.” The words left and she didn’t even bother looking at me. I let my eyes linger on her shirt for awhile before casting it upward, on her face.

“I’m going to change my clothes too.” I sighed. “Look. This is your blood right here.” I smiled cheekily and pointed to my shirt.

“Oh,” she looked sorry. That was one of my favourite expressions of her. She looks cute!

“This is one of my favourite shirts.” You should feel guilty~

“After you changed your clothes, give me your shirt, okay oppa?” I should give myself a pat on the back! I held back the grin that threatened to split my face but I think she noticed it because she let out a sigh.

“Okay.” I replied coolly with a stiff face.

Chaerin left first, leaving Dara and me behind. When she was out of sight, I brought my palm to my face and chuckled.

“Dara noona! Did you hear that? She called me oppa.”

“Aigooo~ childish Jiyong! Big deal.” She rolled her eyes at me but failed to suppress her giggle afterwards. She was very supportive of my relationship with Chaerin. Our SkyDragon fans must be right, Dara noona truly is one of our hardcore shippers. “I guess someone’s getting his laundry done.”

“Of course, she needs to wash this shirt!” I chuckled. “She should wash it with me!”

*SMACK*

“Ouch, noona!” I rubbed the back of my head when she hit me.

“Yah! Have you even thought of a good plan to win her back? Jiyongie you’re so slow!” she complained.

It’s not that I’m not doing anything. She’s… not ready yet. That’s what I think.

“I’m not slow.”

“Yeah, right,” She rolled her eyes.

Chaerin’s very reserved and I know that she just can’t properly put her feelings and thoughts into words. When she broke up with me, she told me she needed space, she needed time to think about things and she’s afraid that her love for me was gone.

“She’s taking her time and depriving me of hope at the same time.”

 

 

Jingyo-oppa, our relationship’s not gonna work. I can’t picture you and me in the future.

At first, I thought she was just joking. She wasn’t the type to stay serious for a long time especially when you’re with her. Sooner or later, you’ll be familiar to her childish and humorous jokes.

 

I need time. Please let me go.

But she wasn’t the type to say those kinds of words either… unless she really means it.

 

It’s not you!! Just… leave me now and don’t ask any more questions!

We fell in love. You agreed to be my girlfriend. We swore to be together, and just because you can’t picture you and me in the future, you expect me to leave you?! Do you think I’m stupid? Though sometimes I am, that still doesn’t mean I’d concur to that ridiculous idea of yours. Then let’s paint a picture of us in the future, babe. What are you afraid of?

 

I don’t love you anymore. I’m sorry.

And of course I didn’t believe it. Just like how you shouldn’t say sorry when you’ve done nothing wrong, you shouldn’t say things you don’t really mean. How can you simply let shattering words off your mouth when you don’t stand for it in the first place! What got you so confused? Tell me.

 

Goodbye Jingyo.

No oppa? No goodbye kiss? Just Jingyo?

Is this really our end?

 

“I’ll wait for her until she decides to come around.” I told Dara noona in a shy tone. I wanted to know if I satisfied her with my answer.

“Right,” she slowly nodded twice. “It is true that sometimes, to keep it together, you have to leave it alone. But Jiyong,” she looked at me doubtfully. “Still!” Her eyebrows were now furrowed and she was giving off this ‘since-I’m-an-expert-at-this-you-should-listen-to-me’ feel. “Don’t let Pudong… Ah! I mean Chaerin, to have the satisfaction of knowing you’ll always be waiting for her. It’ll only drift you two apart and you’ll both be regretful in the end.”

She was right.

“And Jiyong-ah!” her switch flipped back to her being a noisy noona again. “You’ve been bugging her all this time! I thought you wanted to give her space and time?”

“Noona. I’m neither an astronaut nor Cronus!” I joked but she didn’t laugh. Hmn, loading. “Anyway, thanks for the advice! I’m really thankful you’re making an effort to get us back together!”

“Of course! By this time you should already be planning about your marriage or something!”

“I should be the one telling that to you, noona!” she gave me a pretty hard kick at the back of my leg. “Ahhhh!! It’s not my fault Youngbae’s not taking the next step! I’m pretty sure both of you are interested in each other, right? I’m just--- ahh!!!” she kicked me again and it made me bend my back and hold on to my leg.

“Forget it. I suddenly think it’s better this way. At least I don’t have to raise our child alone. TamTam must be lonely.” How weird. “Yah!” She looked at me again.  “Don’t forget about Chaerin. Go change your clothes and make your move! Also, uh, that Zico! You can’t just leave him wandering and knowing what’s what in YGE. He’s from a different company after all. Even if your only purpose is to help him, I don’t think that’s a good idea. Keep an eye on him, okay?”

I nodded and laughed at her then she left.

--

 

“Why should I call you oppa!” My new dongsaeng was really amusing! I didn’t expect that our personalities would click right away.

“You called me oppa just now, by the way.” I chuckled.

“Aisht, you’ve finished eating, right? Go back to the studio!” She was pouting and I find it really cute. She finished the sandwich in one big bite and looked away.

“But Mingkki-ah, I don’t know where the studio is.” Seriously, did she consider that it’s my first time being in YGE and I could get lost anytime?

“Don’t call me Mingkki!”

“But you told me to call you Mingkki!”

“When did I tell you that? I didn’t!” I don’t know if she’s really annoyed with me but her expressions are too cute!

“Ara. Mianhae. I’ll just ask other people to help me find the studio. Nice meeting you, Minzy.” I and walked away but I was surprised when she didn’t even stop me. I guess I’ve really made her mad? Way to go, Zico. Way to go.

Walking out of the restaurant, I sighed deeply, not thinking about my album but about Minzy.

---

 

“Of course! By this time you should already be planning about your marriage or something!” Youngbae hid himself behind the wall not too far from the two. He didn’t peek at them. Instead, he just eavesdropped on their conversation. That was the safer choice. He didn’t want to be caught from doing a wrong deed.

 

“I should be the one telling that to you, noona!” Jiyong replied, earning a pretty hard kick from his noona.

“Ahhhh!!” He held on to his leg. “It’s not my fault Youngbae’s not taking the next step! I’m pretty sure both of you are interested in each other, right? I’m just--- ahh!!!” His expression screams ‘Stop it’ but Dara looked really annoyed.

Not taking the next step? The man eavesdropping has his nose scrunched up as he contemplated on his thoughts. Oh you mean…

They talked for a while about TamTam, Chaerin and Zico before Dara left.

When Youngbae went out of his hiding spot, his best friend has already turned to his direction.

“Youngbae.” Jiyong called his attention as he walked closer to him.  

“Uh, yeah..” Youngbae scratched the back of his head; a sheepish smile forming on his lips. He turned around and saw Jiyong in front of him, grinning. “Sorry for… err...”

“I know you were eavesdropping.” There was a short pause then both of them laughed. “Come on.” Jiyong gave his friend a pat on the back. “Why don’t you confess to noona now?”

“What noona are you talking about!!!” Boy was he loud. Typical reaction from Dong Youngbae.

“Dara noona! Unless you like a different noona?” 

“No one! The girl I like is only her.” It’s about time you confess that you like her. “And what are you talking about? Me? Confess to her? And what do you mean now!? I can’t do that now! I didn’t prepare a script…..”

“You’re starting to sound like Seungri!” Jiyong laughed at his reaction. “Trust me, it’s better that way!”

“No, Ji! Not cool. What if I say something I’m not supposed to say?”

“Just think that you’re doing a little impromptu speech, k?” Jiyong pushed his friend inside the lift and pressed a random floor for him. “Come on, you were the one always complaining about needing a girl. For years, that girl had always been with you. Why aren’t you making a move?”

When the door of the lift closed, Jiyong smiled at himself for ‘helping’ his best friend.

“Now where’s my girl?”

---

 

“Annyeong haseyo, Daesung hyung!” I greeted my sunbae, popularly known as BIG TONE, who passed by me. He greeted me back with a warm smile and a pat on the back. “Ah, hyung! By the way, have you seen Sandara noona?”

“Your noona?” he gave me a playfully annoying smile. He sipped his coffee when I nodded and the expression he threw me was again, PLAYFULLY. ANNOYING. Ah, hyung!! “She left with the coordi noonas. I think she’s going to film for another cf? Uh.. what’s that cosmetic shop she’s endorsing again? The Face Shop?”

“Etude Shop!” I corrected him, almost hollering. How could he think Dara noona’s endorsing for The Face Shop?!

“Oh, yeah. I just got ‘The Face’ wrong.” He chuckled. “If you want to see her, might as well follow her. Do you have anything in your schedule today?”

My lips unconsciously formed the fish lips all my fans were laughing about.

“Nope, I don’t have any. The others have packed schedules though.”

“I see. Especially GD, right?” I nodded pleasingly. “I have to go now! Teddy will kill me. Bye! Goodluck confessing to your noona!” he waved and went away.

“Ah, hyung!” Am I that obvious? Even when I tried to keep it from the family, the still saw through me!

--

I was cleaning my wound with a cotton when I heard our doorbell rang. I stood up from the bed and peeked from my room and called my other members. “Mingkki-ah? Bommie unnie!”

 

 

No response.

 

 

 

“Dara-unnie????”

 

 

 

 

 

No response.

 

 

Oh. I forgot. She recently went out to film for another Etude CF.

Aisht.

 

 

“Who is it?” I was nearing the door when I asked that and I think the answer’s a bit obvious, don’t you think? It must be Jiyong.

“It’s Jingyo oppa!” Right. It’s him. And ugh, the Jingyo oppa name again.

I typed some random codes on the number pad button, and then the door opened, revealing a very handsome man.

Damn it.

“The shirt?” I wanted to get this over with. His gaze fell to his side where he was holding the shirt stained with my blood. “Thank you.” I immediately got it from him. “I’ll wash it today! Bye!” I was about to close the door but he made everything impossible for me when he blocked it with his foot.

“Not so fast. I need to check on you.” And as if knowing that I’d retort back to his words, he spoke again. “As friends, it is only right to care for each other, right?” That’s not it. You’re not here as my friend, Jiyong. Why are you making things so hard? You’re good at confusing my feelings!

I didn’t want to be so rude so I let him enter anyway.

“Where are the others?”

“Nowhere near us.” WTF. Why did I reply like that? I saw him smirk and I was slightly irritated. Slightly irritated because he was so good-looking. “If you’re concerned about me, then don’t worry anymore. I---”

“I hope you’re okay.”

“I am! Don’t worry!” Why do I feel a need to assure him I’m fine? I don’t want him to worry about it. It’s not a big deal.

“I hope you’re okay.” He emphasized the word. “But I’m not,” the smirk left his face and was replaced with a sincere smile and a pair of loving but somehow sorrowful eyes. When was the last time I felt my heart flutter? Right, not too long ago. He was looking at me fixedly I thought I was going to faint from his gaze!

Using his shirt as a distraction from his stare, I looked down and mumbled my reply timidly. "Jiyong, I was the one who got hurt. And it was a minor accident. You don't need to make a big fuss about it." And I mean it. It’s nothing serious!

"You don't feel pain anymore?” He said in a soft, intimate tone.

"No.” I flashed a little smile. He should go now.

"Well I do." I was surprised when he reached for my hand and placed it above his chest, right where his heart is. "It hurts here." I immediately pulled my hand away. I didn’t want to be ‘under his spell’ right now. He still had an effect on me and it’s the type to make me blush and spazz uncontrollably. The thing is, I learned how to control myself. But not fully. I sighed.

"Stop changing the topic, Ji." I walked to the sofa and he followed me.

"I'm not,” he defended. “I was hurt when I saw you crying earlier." I was just sobbing. It wasn’t some major wailing like crazy thing.

“Aren’t you going back to the studio?” I asked him as I turned the television on. I felt him sit close to me and I just left it that way.

“Are you telling me to work alone?” He chuckled. “Tom and Jerry! Tom and Jerry!” he pointed to the television when I was switching the channels. I pressed the channel for Cartoon Network since I don’t want to hear him nagging about not letting him watch what he wants. He was like that before, till now. He looked at me again. “Oh, right. Uh, Zico’s with Minji and I’m with you.”

“Yes, my friend. I want some time alone.” I turned to him but he wasn’t looking at me anymore. He was watching Tom and Jerry seriously. “Yah. Jiyong-sshi!”

“Can’t I stay here?” he asked.

“No. You have lots of things to do.”

“But I want to rest.”

“You have your own apartment, duh.”

“I want to be here, where you are.”

 

--

 

 

“I want to be here, where you are.” When I looked at Chaerin, she had this dumbfounded expression on her face again. “Look, Chaerin, I know that you’re having a hard time working on--”

“Oh no.” she let out a dry laugh. “You’re not getting started again.” She stood up and walked fast. She was heading to her room so I followed her again.

“Yah, Chaerin. I just wanted to talk to you! Why are you so stubborn?! You’re always like this! Why aren’t you letting me talk?!”

“There’s nothing to talk about!” she shouted but she had her back turned to me.

“Just listen, okay!”

“No!”

“Yah!”

“Jiyong, you know I don’t want to fight with you, right?!”

“If you just listen to me and not retaliate so much, then maybe we’d fix our relationship!! For how many months have you been not talking to me properly? For how many months have I been dealing with your terrible attitude towards me? For how many months are you depriving me of hope, huh, Chaerin? I’m always running after you. Why don’t you stop and just wait for me so we’d patch things up?!” I got so worked up all of a sudden. I had so many things to tell her, yet, I still chose the words I have to say. I didn’t want to hurt her. Even if she had hurt me so much, who was I to hurt her back?

“I told you already! I just want you as my friend! Why can't you understand that!!!" She was screaming and was definitely mad. But why was she mad? I should be the furious one, not her!

“Face me, Lee Chaerin!” it sounded like a command. She didn’t face me, nor respond.

“Lee Chaerin!”

“Why can’t you understand that you are waiting for nothing?”

"Because I know you're lying! I know you still love me!" But truth be told, I was unsure of my answer. She loves me. I’ve always believed that. But why do I feel like nothing to her now?

"Wake up, Jiyong! I'm never going to be your girl again!" My heart ached from her words. Does that mean… we have no chance? The ‘us’ have no chance? A lump formed in my throat when I tried to answer her back. I couldn’t think properly.

Was my heart a failure in giving her love?

Was I not enough for her?

Poor heart of mine. I could feel it breaking.

I was about to say something when I saw that her body started shaking. Probably from anger? I guess so.

Wake up, Jiyong!

Wake up, Jiyong!

 

When she entered her room, I finally broke the silence she has created.  

“I won’t be holding onto you anymore.”

Then I left the room.

 

 

---

 

“If you just listen to me and not retaliate so much, then maybe we’d fix our relationship!! For how many months have you been not talking to me properly? For how many months have I been dealing with your terrible attitude towards me? For how many months are you depriving me of hope, huh, Chaerin? I’m always running after you. Why don’t you stop and just wait for me so we’d patch things up?!” I’m sorry Jiyong. I never meant to hurt you like this. I didn’t want you to be hurt, that’s why I broke up with you, but it just made things worse. Please, just go. I don’t understand my feelings. I really don’t.

“I told you already! I just want you as my friend! Why can't you understand that!!!" I tried my best to sound really angry and I succeeded. But it just made me lose control of the tear that trickled down my cheek. I closed my eyes and mentally encouraged myself not to cry.

“Face me, Lee Chaerin!” I heard him yell. Forcing myself to be strong, I stopped the new tears that were b from my eyes.

“Lee Chaerin!” Compose yourself now before he’d notice, Chaerin-ah!

“Why can’t you understand that you are waiting for nothing?” the harsh and cold words left my mouth.

"Because I know you're lying! I know you still love me!" his voice was full of determination, like always. It sounded like he won’t give up in getting me back. He wasn’t someone who’d just surrender to something. He’d always fight for what he wants, for what he loves.

I don’t deserve your love!

"Wake up, Jiyong! I'm never going to be your girl again!" I am confused of my feelings but it didn’t confuse me that I was actually pained too when I said that. Unable to stop my tears, I let it roll down my cheek and I bit my lip to stop myself from crying more. I didn’t realize that my body was already trembling. I wanted to cry in his arms. I wanted to make him feel that he isn’t the only one in pain. I cursed myself mentally for being this kind of person. Why did I fall in love with Kwon Jiyong only to get tired of him when we were already together? I don’t understand.

 

“I won’t be holding onto you anymore.” Jiyong broke the silence and the next thing I know, he already left the room and I fell on the floor crying uncontrollably.

 

 

---

 

There. An update because I'll be busy for the next few weeks! T_T

I was thinking of pairing Minzy with Zico, what do you think? I think they look cute together! XDD FOR A CHANGE! Keke. Good news! Youngbae's going to confess to his Dara noona soon!! Kyaaahh~ But there's bad news too-- Ji's giving up on Chae. *!?!?* After 6 months, there had been no progress in his 'get-back-with-chae' mission and of course, he's tired of running after her, ne? Don't hate Chaerin though! She's really really confused of her feelings. Idk if anyone of you has experienced it before. Chaerin loves JIYONG. Don't worry about that. But sometimes, she feels tired of being with him (i.e. runs out of reasons why they should be together, feels like she's not good enough, she's not deserving of him, he needed to be with someone who can love him wholly)--- that kind. :<

So, yeah. Good night now! ^__^