Your Love

Against All Gods

Run, Yoona, run.

I didn’t even know why I was hurrying. After all, it was 2 in the morning, and certainly Seohyun will be there, asleep.

It’s not as if I wasn’t going to find her there when I arrive.

It’s not as if she were going to leave tonight.

She’s not going to leave tonight, but she will soon, and she might not return.

I run.

 

When I arrived at Seohyun’s place, I am exhausted and breathless. I look up at her window, and saw that the lights in her room were open. She’s still awake at this hour? I walk towards her window and whisper as loud as I can. Seohyun!

I call out a few more times, trying my hardest to not shout too much because her parents might wake up. After a few minutes, there was still no response.

Damn.

I could feel my courage slowly evaporating, and doubt started to fill my heart. I guess… I’m just not supposed to confess to her? I looked up at the dark sky. Is this your way of preventing me, huh? You don’t play fair.

As I turned away from Seohyun’s window I saw something at the corner of my eye.

A ladder.

 

Seohyun’s room was quiet as I ascended the ladder. What is she doing?  I reached her window and took a peek at her room.

Seohyun was there, in the middle of her carpeted room, lying spread-eagled on the floor. She had her eyes closed and her yellow earphones on.

I sat on her windowsill and took in the sight.

She was wearing her favorite Keroro pajamas that I gave her last Christmas (somehow she has managed to not outgrow her love for Keroro) and she was humming to the music on her iPod, her hands drumming the floor to the beat of whatever song she was listening to.

After a few minutes of staring at her I go down from the windowsill and walk towards her, my footsteps muffled by the carpet.

I lay on my side beside her, and whisper, Will this be the last time I do this?

“Why though? You can still visit me at the convent.”

Shocked, I sit up and look at her as she sits up and removes one of her earphones. “When did you get here?”

“I—I—you knew I was here?

“Not really. I just had a feeling that you’d be coming, you know? I was sleeping and I dreamt of someone, he told me that you were coming over. And I don’t know why, but I believed him and the lights so that you’d know I was still awake, and I was waiting for you. Then the song I was listening to stopped and I heard you whisper beside me.”

“Someone told you I was coming over?”

“Yeah. In my dream.”  

I looked at her, trying to guess if she was joking with me.

“And no, Im Yoona, I am not joking with you.”

She removed the other earphone and moved to sit in front of me, our knees already touching. “So,” she said, as she looked intently at me, “what’s wrong? Do you have something to tell me?”

“Did the guy in your dream… not say why I was coming to see you?”

Seohyun shook her head. “He just told me you were coming. That’s it.”

Weird though her story was, I decided to bite down my questions. The longer I postponed my confession, the more nervous I’d get, and I might not end up telling her anything.

“I…” I didn’t know how to begin. Now that Seohyun is in front of me, ready to listen, I suddenly felt that I don’t know what I was supposed to say, or how to say it.

For minutes, we were just silent, sitting in front of each other and looking at each other’s eyes. I felt I could just stay in that moment forever, drowning myself in the endless pool of Seohyun’s beautiful brown eyes.

Please, god, if you’re really there, let me relish this moment first.

Once I confess to her… I don’t know if I’ll be ever able to look her in the eye.

Words have utterly failed me. I didn’t know what I should say. Help, I silently begged, please send help.

Suddenly my eye catches sight of her iPod, still lying on the floor. I gently pick it up and scroll through Seohyun’s songs. I know I’ll be able to find the song I was looking for, because it was her favorite song.

 

-Flashback-

Seohyun was dragging me towards the nearest church. Classes for 10th grade have just ended, and I badly wanted to catch Ouran High on TV, but Seohyun caught my hand and refused to let go until we were inside the church.

“Ya, what’s the point of bringing me here??” I complained loudly. “You know I don’t pray... you can just pray alone!”

Seohyun looked at me and tugged harder at my hand. “No, I’m not going to pray! I just want to see—come on!”

As we entered the church we saw flower arrangements at the door and at the aisles, and a red carpet laid out.

“A wedding?” I looked questioningly at Seohyun.

“A wedding of sorts, yes,” she said, her eyes fixed on the altar. “It’s a vow ceremony.” She added, her eyes misty, “they’re going to marry Christ.”

“A what??” I looked at the altar, and saw that there were 4 or 5 women standing in line, wearing white dresses. As I listened to the priests’ words, I realized that I was looking at a vow ceremony for nuns.

After the nuns have finished taking their vows and have already put on their veils, the choir started singing.

 

I am all alone without you
My days are dark without a glimpse of you
But now that you came into my life, I feel complete
The flowers bloom, my morning shines
And I can see

Your love is like the sun that lights up my whole world
I feel the warmth inside
Your love is like a river that flows down through my veins
I feel the chill inside

 

I look up at the choir, startled. “But that’s not a church song.”

“It’s not,” Seohyun said, “but don’t you think it fits perfectly with what the nuns are feeling now? The song perfectly expresses their love for Christ, hence their reason for taking the vows and spending eternity with Him.”

She looked at the nuns, their faces radiant with happiness, and smiled.

-End flashback-

 

I plugged out the earphones and pressed play on her iPod, and the same song we heard years ago at the church echoed throughout her silent room.

You're the one that never lets me sleep
To my mind, down to my soul you touch my lips
You're the one that I can't wait to see
With you here by my side I'm in ecstasy

I am all alone without you
My days are dark without a glimpse of you
But now that you came into my life
I feel complete
The flowers bloom, my morning shines
And I can see

I looked up, and saw Seohyun staring at me, her expression unfathomable.

Without thinking, without pausing to think of what will she do if I do this, have I gone crazy?, I reached for her face and kissed her lips.

Your love is like the sun that lights up my whole world
I feel the warmth inside
Your love is like a river that flows down through my veins
I feel the chill inside

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've actually been despairing for days, because I couldn't find the perfect song to motivate me to write this chapter. D: Thankfully I stumbled upon someone's comment online, about a song that sounds like a love song but is actually a worship song (according to the composer himself). The song that Seohyun and Yoona heard was Your Love by Alamid, and you can listen to it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZfdDA2-qRk It's actually a beautiful song, and I've heard it used in quite a lot of weddings. 

There are some things I'd like to point out in this chapter: first, I hope all of you have noticed the "help" Yoona got. ;) Second, the "vow ceremony" that Yoona and Seohyun witnessed varies depending on the sisterly order one takes, but the newer ones tend to let their nuns-to-be choose the song to be sung on their vow ceremony, giving off the feel that one is to be, indeed, a bride--the bride of Christ. And third, I admit I'm kind of off-color these days, hence the not-so-planned-out writing. Huhu. :( 

Nonetheless, I still hope you stick with this story and the upcoming chapters! :) Your comments reeeeeeally motivate me to write more, and you guys are such angels huhuhu *tears of joy*. Again, please leave a short comment to make this moody author happy. :) :) :) Thank you! 

PS A belated happy birthday to the subscriber there who just celebrated her birthday! Hehe. Sorry I wasn't able to update on your birthday. ;) ;) ;)