Ask and You Shall Receive

Against All Gods

People keep saying “Be careful what you wish for”, but I never fully understood that sentence. If you wish for something, it’s because you want it, right? Why then would you be “careful” of what you’re wishing for, as if the thing that you want will bring you harm?

I never fully understood that… until now.

* * *

God, give me a sign. Anything. Tell me, did I make the right decision?

Suddenly the bell rang, signaling the start of the students’ recess. I stood up from my kneeling position and left the chapel, walking towards the guidance counselors’ office.

“Sister Seohyun!!”

I turned around and saw Yeri, running to me and shouting out my name so loud that some of the nuns were already looking scandalized.

“Yeri!” I said, as she stopped in front of me to catch her breath. “What is it? Is something the matter?”

Yeri was one of the students who confided in me the most, and I found her very intelligent and sweet.

“Sister Seohyun! I have a favor to ask.”

I nodded at her and said, “Okay, what is it? As long as that’s not against the school rules.” I looked at her sternly and she shook her head.

“No, of course not, Sister! Actually…” She bowed her head and looked at her feet, intent on avoiding my gaze. “Well, you see… Sister Irene told me you were a good singer, so…”

“What??” I blurted out. I wasn’t really a good singer, but ever since Sister Irene heard me singing in our room she has never stopped asking me to sing again. It seems she has also started broadcasting my average singing skills. I sighed.

“Okay then… but what’s the occasion?”

“OMG, really?? Thank you so much!” Yeri clapped her hands and took out a piece of paper from her pocket. “You see, it’s my parents’ 20th wedding anniversary! And you know, I wanted to give them a special gift, so…” She did a 90-degree bow and said, “Could you please sing for them? This is their favorite song... While you’re singing, I plan to give them my gifts and read them my letter… please?”

* * *

It has been a few weeks since that incident. I kept Yoona’s tissue in the drawer on my desk, but I had no idea why I did that. Maybe I did it just to acknowledge that okay God, I got your sign. Noted.

Noted, but never acted upon.

I sighed. I looked up to the sky, the last rays of the setting sun tinting the sky orange as around me, students ran around, excited to go home.

I asked for it… now what do I do?