For The Sake Of Perfection

Kai and You

 

“You guys heading home now?” BoA asked.
“Ne, we have a schedule early tomorrow.” Answered Baekhyun, the only one that you recognized by name. The others really looked familiar. You’ve seen their faces before for sure. Of course you know how popular SM artists are too. You’ve heard of the name EXO; mostly from Rina’s mouth because she likes them so much. 
When BoA noticed that the boys were looking at you curiously, she was laughing when she started introducing you to them. 
“This is Mikaela Bennett, she’s from England and her mother is Korean. She’s currently a Kpop Star contestant and is now in the SM team.” When BoA mentioned that you’re on the SM team, the boys voiced out their approval. 
“Whoa! Good job!” Said the tallest.
“Fighting!” Said the smaller one with a permed hair. 
You smiled and bowed at them. “Bangapsumnida!” You said. 
“Wah, her dimples are so deep.” Says the tallest again.
“She’s very pretty right?” BoA said so proudly, and she looked at you smiling like that of a mother to her daughter except that BoA is too young to be your mother. “Do you know who they are, Mikaela?”
Your eyes widened and the boys laughed, getting the obvious.
“She panicked.” You heard one of them say and you smiled shyly.
“I know Baekhyun-uhhh....” You paused, looking blankly up at BoA then to Baekhyun who looked so amused. There are so many titles in Korea and you still don’t know what and how to address people properly. There are times when people get offended when you choose to call them Ahjussi when they’re clearly over 30. Why can’t there be just Mr. and Miss? 
“You can call him Baekhyun-sshi for now since you haven’t debuted yet. Once you debuted, you can call him and the others -sunbaenim.” BoA explained. 
“You can call him Baekhyun-uhhh.” Suggested the tallest one who laughed so hard afterwards followed by the others.
“How many members does EXO have, Mikaela-sshi?” Baekhyun asked grinning like his other members, determined to prolong your mortification.
“Five.” You said because duh, you can count. There’s five of them in front of you. 
But they all laughed at you including BoA whose face is now beet red because of unrestrained laughter. “There’s nine of them, but the other four are not here right now because they’re busy.” BoA said. “You already know Baekhyun, so...this is Park Chanyeol.” She started introducing the boys. Chanyeol moved forward to shake your hand but you were already bowing so you immediately offered your hand but then Chanyeol was now the one bowing to you and you all once again laughed. So when you recovered, you initiated a fist bump instead that Chanyeol amusingly accepted. “This is Do Kyungsoo, his stage name is D.O.” She introduced the next one who did the fist bump with you. He has a beautiful smile and expressive big round eyes. “This one’s Kim Jongdae and his stage name is Chen. And lastly, this is Kim Minseok and his stage name is Xiumin.” 
“Nice to meet all of you.” You bowed once again and they to you. You fist-bumped all of them, you can’t wait to tell Rina because she will freak out that you met five of them today. 
“Mikaela-sshi is a really good singer. She also plays the guitar really well...” Says Baekhyun who were part of the coach panel earlier. 
“Kamsahamnida.” You said. 
“Okay boys, it’s getting dark and Mikaela have to leave now.” BoA said, already waving to the boys as she coaxes you to the lobby. “Watch out for her on TV, she doesn’t disappoint.” BoA said once again and you want to drown from her praises. The boys remained standing there watching you and their senior leave with BoA’s arm over your shoulder again. “They’re just waiting for their car and their managers. So we have to get out first in case there are fans outside.” BoA said and you just nodded. 
Fortunately, there are no fans outside; just some bystanders, or maybe they’re fans just pretending to be bystanders? Nevertheless, you don’t really care. It’s already starting to get dark anyway and BoA was asking you if you’re going to take the train.
“Ahniyo, I brought a car. I parked it over there.” You pointed the direction of the clothing store. Then BoA bid goodbye and you took your separate ways. 

$$$

“Daebak!” Says Rina. She’s currently put herself in-charge of monitoring your popularity or something like that, on the internet. “You have a lot of stills here on Naver, look!” She raised her laptop for you to see. 
She was righ- yeah you can see it. Every time before your performance, you are all interviewed about your feelings and such. Most of the stills you saw are from those interviews and some are taken from when you were practicing your song choices with other contestants. You go to SBS almost everyday since you arrived in Seoul, mostly for practice. 
“Your performance videos on Naver and Youtube reached one million already!” Rina sounded breathless due to her excitement. That’s probably why people have started to recognize you lately whenever you go out. “The comments are really good too.” She started reading comments. “They like you because your voice is so lovely and you look so pretty, you look like Ti-Tifa... Tifa Ro-Lo-Lockhart. Who is this?” 
You laughed. That is actually not the first time you’ve heard that comparison. Your classmates in Singapore have told you the same thing, except that you have dimples and she doesn’t. You don’t really know her before but because of those comments, you now do. “She’s a character from a Japanese animation movie called Final Fantasy.” And your eyes caught the Kpop Star logo on the TV screen so you sat straight. Tonight’s episode is the continuation of the casting round audition that started last week and tonight is the night your performance will air. The episode that will remind you of Yang Hyunsuk’s rejection.
It wasn’t until the later part of the entire episode that you finally came out. The clip of the interview about who you’d want to cast you was shown first.
“Aghh... Mr. Yang is going to see this!” You complained. Not only that, BoA is going to see this too! Suddenly, you’re worried about her reaction that you didn’t choose SM and she might think you don’t like her. Your head suddenly ached. 
You heard Rina chuckling beside you. “I’m interested in his reaction when you said you’ll make him regret it.” Nope, you’re more worried of BoA’s reaction now. She was just so nice to you and she sees this? 
“Haha, not funny.” You made a face at your cousin and watched your own performance of a Taylor Swift song. 
Then seeing yourself standing in front of the judges along with other nine contestants waiting to be casted made you groan because you looked so tensed. But then you were really tensed that time. When Yang Hyunsuk called his third choice, your face was suddenly focused. Your face! Then they replayed the interview when the staff asked you what if YG doesn’t cast you and you said you’ll make him regret. They even played a dramatic background song. What the?!
You stood so fast, groaning so loud that you probably hurt your throat and not caring about the throw pillow that fell from your lap when you rose. 
“You looked really disappointed.” Rina said, stifling another laughter. 
“Yes I was! But they didn’t have to show it like that. Those cameramen are really ganging up on me. All of them!” You stomped your feet again and again. After Sungjin’s name was called, you saw your shoulder fell, you bit your lower lip and closed your eyes tightly then you opened it afterwards, nodding with a defeated smile on your lips. You were in the process of convincing yourself that you’ve just been rejected that time and when it was BoA’s turn to call out her choices, it was your name first. 
“They’re not ganging up on you. Hello? You get much more screentime than the others, it means the production likes you.” Rina commented again. “You should be thankful because there are a lot of contestants who never appeared on the broadcast.” That shut you up. 
You sat back and finished the entire episode. The teams that were casted have been finalized and tomorrow’s performances will probably be the one to be shown on next weeks episode already, or not. It depends if they’re able to squeeze in all performances in one episode. 
By the end of tomorrow’s performances, the top ten will be decided. If you make it, you will have to stay in a dorm with the other contestants. Maybe you’ll be allowed to celebrate Christmas at home so you can be with Rina and your Aunt Hana? 
Then Rina started screaming, bouncing on the sofa as she fans her face with her hands. “Daebak! Daebak! Daebak!” She said again and again. 
“Yah, gwenchanayo?” You asked her. 
“You are trending on Naver. Number one!” If she widens her eyes more, her eyeballs would come out of their sockets and if she opens more, she’ll you in. Rina is such a reaction queen. But really, you’re number one after the night’s episode? 
“Nongdamiji!” You said. Still not believing that it’s possible. Maybe Rina is just joking. 
“Nongdam aniya! Look!” She turned her laptop and you saw your name on the right hand corner of Naver’s website under the most popular searches. It’s true. It’s true. You put your hands over your mouth because it dropped open and you can’t close it. On number one is your name. 
“W-waeyo?” You uttered. You don’t understand. You trended because the netizens are talking about you but you don’t know what about you they’re talking about. If that makes sense. 
Rina’s fingers were fast. She worked on the computer like an expert. Oh wait, she’s a true blue netizen so that makes her close to being an expert. “Let me check on Twitter.” She opened a new browser and logged in on Twitter and you gasped when you saw the trends on the lower left hand corner of the screen. Your name is also on the number one spot followed by the keywords Kpop Star and then YG. “Oh, they’re talking about YG not choosing you. Saying it’s his loss.” Then there were screenshots of your epic disappointed face. “They said your performance was like a concert.” 
Wow. Your face is all over Twitter. Does this means that people like you? That people support you? Will this help you win? 
“Ohhh...” Rina pulled your face to the laptop to see what she’s found. “See that? That’s a Twitter account under your name.”
“I don’t understand. I don’t have a Twitter account, remember?” You reminded her. 
Rina rolled her eyes. “It’s just under your name. It’s a fan account. There are forty thousand followers as of the moment.” 
“Oh.” That’s the only thing that escaped your mouth. You’re so overwhelmed. Koreans actually like you? Of course that’s what you want, but it’s still...surreal. Regardless, you’re happy. 
“Good job.” Rina smiled at you. She looked so happy for you. “Let’s win this! Fighting!”

$$$

You stopped over a service station for a refuel on your way to SBS. Rina had stopped coming with you after the Ranking Audition. She has work that’s why and you don’t want to keep her from her job since she’s just a newbie there too. 
You’re an independent person who can stand on your own and you’ve managed to do so for a long time now. Your mother raised you as a confident, capable and responsible person. And you’ve become better at it since your parent’s divorce. 
This is your first time in this filling station. It’s a self-service station so you got out of the car and served yourself. You pressed some buttons on the touch screen and when it asked for a payment method you chose a credit card and swiped it. But you got an error and swiped it again, but you’re getting the error still.
They probably don’t accept international credit card. Good thing you have cash. So you have no choice but to go inside the convenience store to pay. You rubbed your hands together to warm them. Even when you have gloves, it’s still really cold. You have forgotten what winter feels like. Singapore’s weather is the best. 
When you entered the store, there were no customers so you were immediately noticed by the cashier.
“Annyeonghaseyo!” You bowed and smiled at her. She was looking at you intensely with furrowed brows. “Your dispenser won’t accept my card. I would like to pay in cash?” 
Then her eyes widened when she finally recognized you. She put her hands over . “Oh my- Mikaela?!” She exclaimed and you laughed at her reaction. The pronunciation of your name is perfect. You clarified that once on one of the interviews before your performance. 
“Ne. Bangapsumnida.” You said once again. People really can recognize you now. How awesome. 
“Omo, yeppuda!” She squealed. 
You laughed. You don’t know how to deal with her. Or rather, how to deal with a fan
“Kamsahamnida. You’re pretty too.” You said. But you’re going to be late so you have to hurry. “Can you help me? Your dispenser won’t accept my card. Maybe it doesn’t accept international card. So, I’d like to pay in cash?”
She nodded. “Of course! Of course! Haesong-ah! Come out here! Mikaela Bennett is here!” You bit your lower lip when she shouted, calling someone out. 
“Ah, four litres please.” You gave her your payment. 
She took your money and punched something on the computer while she murmurs that she’s glad to see you and if she can take pictures with you and she hopes you win the contest. Then a guy appeared from somewhere and is now gawking at you with a big smile on his face. 
“Annyeonghaseyo!” You greeted him. 
The cashier girl handed the guy she called Haesong a card. “Four litres. Fast!” She told the guy who scratched his head while still not taking his eyes off of you. 
“Let’s go.” You said, leading the way. Because if you won’t move, they’re just going to stand there looking at you and you have to make it on time otherwise you won’t be able to practice and perform. End of your dreams. 
You walked out of the convenience store and hoped the guy was following you so you looked over your shoulder. Good thing he was following you but the cashier girl was right behind him with a camera on her hands. So while the boy was pumping your gas for you, the girl took a picture of you and a selfie with you too. 
When the boy was done, he requested for the girl to take a picture of him and you too. Laughing, you agreed. Their happiness and excitement was actually really contagious. They were just telling you a lot of things such as that they like your voice and they’re going to vote for you and all. 
“Don’t worry. YG will change his mind.” Says the girl and you laughed. They’ve clearly seen last night’s episode. 
Suddenly, a car pulled up behind yours. They probably saw the ruckus in front of them and most likely recognized you too, so two kids in their school uniforms immediately exited the car followed by their mother from the driver’s seat with a cellphone in her hands. 
“They like you so much...” Says the mother, talking about her two little girls.”They said you’re like a Disney princess because you’re so pretty.” You smiled and laughed when you heard that but you don’t agree. You’re not like those Princesses who are dependent on a Prince to save them. You can save yourself thank you very much.
On second thought, actually it’s not too bad. You can be Merida. She doesn’t need a Prince Charming to come and make things better for her because she can do it herself. Love doesn’t have to involve marrying a prince or being rescued. And that’s reality. Disney movies are misleading and you don’t recommend them to little girls. 

$$$

That was just... Surprising. Incredible. Amazing. Unbelievable. And so much more. 
Wow. They like you. You thought being a half-blood would be a problem. They might like your music too. You’re looking forward to that and all the more that you have to win this competition. 
Those little girls out there needs a good role model to remind them that they don’t need a prince to be a princess. They are precious and already a treasure on their own. They need to see themselves like that so they won’t easily give-in to dreamy looking men who’ll just hurt them anyway. They need to be independent like you. They need to love themselves first. Because a woman who loves herself won’t allow anyone to hurt her. 
When you reached the studio, the contestants; including you, did one last practice before the judges arrives in the afternoon for the performances. You listened to IU’s song again and again. She has a light voice but you can’t hear a vibrato and she mostly works on her chest voice. You asked BoA yesterday if you can give your touch to the song so you can sing it according to your vocal skills this time. She agreed. 
The SM team was pulled in your own waiting room for your wardrobe and make-up. Right now, just minutes before the start of the battle round, you’re doing some vocal warm up while waiting for the make-up artist. On your chair, you’re now ascending and descending the scales, then afterwards you did some lip and tongue trills, you’re a little worried about pronunciations and you don’t want to make mistakes just because your mouth is stiff. You were already humming when the make-up artist was finally finished with Minyung. 
You stood to greet her and then bowed to her as she also did the same thing to you. “Neomu yeppeoyo...” She whispered when she stared at you. Laughing, you thanked her and sat on your seat again. “Your skin is so white.” She noticed again. Pale is the better term. It’s one of the things you got from your father. You prefer the Korean skin just like your mother’s, because it looked the healthy kind of white but you and your father’s skin looked as pale as Count Dracula’s. In England, people like to get tanned and all but you realized that here in Korea, they prefer white skin.
There really are a lot of difference between English and Koreans when it comes to preference in beauty. In England, imperfections can sometimes become ones best asset. However, here in Korea, they go for perfection. Of course it doesn’t apply to all but definitely to most. According to dozens of jokes, Britons have bad teeth, which is not true for some. However, your mother feared that for you that’s why you grew up with braces when she noticed at the age of nine that you have a few crooked teeth. 
The make-up artist kept on praising you and all. Back in England, your face is so generic and you just started getting a lot of compliments and praises when you were in Singapore. Most likely because you look different in their eyes. And now, the same thing is going on in Korea. 
When the make-up artist was done, you were surprised to see yourself on the mirror. She made you look more Korean now. She shaped your eyebrows into a thick straight line which is known as the Korean eyebrows. She also created a winged eye on you. 
“I hope you choose SM so I could get to do your make-up again, Mikaela-sshi.” She said. You asked for her name, it’s Nawoon. She’s five years older than you. 
“Kamsahamnida, Nawoon-unnie. You have magical hands.” You told her. It’s true. You loved your look right now. The make-up isn’t too heavy and you look natural, enhanced and glowing.
The staff have called everyone on the back stage. Nawoon wished you luck and you thanked her once again. 
The producer explained that each team would have different entrance doors that leads to the stage. Contestants from each team would enter individually and would see their competitor as soon as they’re all on the stage as a surprise. 
“Kaela-yah, hwaiting!” Yoojin walked towards you to wish you good luck and you did the same. 
“Kamsahamnida, unnie. You too. Good luck!” She’s the closest to you in the competition. Since the Team Mission, you started to stick together. She’s from a province called Gyeonggi and both of you are not so familiar with Seoul so you could relate to each other. You’d sit together during lunch and breaks. She is currently staying in the dorm for foreigners and those who live in far provinces. You have a place to stay that’s why you’re allowed to go home like the others who live nearby. 
You hugged Yoojin tight and wished her good luck too. 
When your team entered the waiting room that connects to the stage, the staff told you who’d go first and last. Maybe they’re following BoA’s list because you’re the first one once again. But then it’s okay. Much better actually. To get this over and done with. You don’t have to suffer the agony of waiting. 
From your room, you could hear the judges’ conversation. 
Based on their discussion, they also don’t know the order. They don’t know who’d go up against who. So it will be a surprise for them as it is to you. 
“Okay, let’s call out the first batch.” It was Yang Hyunsuk’s voice. The staff who are assigned to your team asked you to be ready. The camera was following you the whole time. 
You took a deep breath and coursed the stairs when the staff gave you the go signal and the moment you were out in the open, gasps filled the entire studio joined by your own. Right there on the door in front of you, under the sign YG; stood a wide-eyed Yoojin. She’s the last person you'd want to battle. First of all, she’s a strong contender and secondly, in case you beat her; you don’t want to see her go. But this is a competition. Only one is going to come out a winner. 
You smiled at her, nodding to indicate that it’s okay and she was quick to get what you want to hint. She smiled back. The contender from JYP is Hwang Seyoon. He is an Rn’B singer and his voice is really good too. You now understand why you all three are chosen against each other. 
When you all stood in front of the judges, they wished you good luck and then you get to perform first so the two walked to the side to give you the stage. On the corner of the studio; illuminated by white light, are the ten seats for those who’ll make it to the top ten. You filled your chest with necessary air to calm your senses. 
“Mikaela-sshi.” You heard BoA’s voice and you looked up at the judges. 
“Whoa, you look even prettier today.” Says Mr. Park . “You look like an SM artist now.” He said and then looked at Mr. Park with a teasing smile on his lips. 
BoA laughed. That made your worries about her reaction to last night’s episode go. Thank goodness. 
“Mikaela-sshi. After last night’s episode I got a lot of hate...” Mr. Yang said and you knew about that courtesy of the world-wide-web insider Rina. The two judges were laughing at Yang Hyunsuk’s pretend defeated expression. “I’ve never received that much hate in my life.” 
“Chincha? I don’t believe you, hyung.” Said Mr. Park.
“First of all, the three of us really want you to proceed to the next level. It’s just a matter of making sure that all of those who we think is deserving gets through. Do you get what I’m saying?” He asked. What he’s trying to say is that, it didn’t matter which company casts you as long as you get casted. He can’t put everyone in his team and it has to be divided among the three companies for the sake of the competition. 
“Ne. Algessumnida.” You smiled at him. Somehow the rejection isn’t as painful anymore. Still, it would have been nice if he chose you first. But now, you’re going to do everything to convince him that you deserve to be considered as a first choice. 
BoA explained why she chose the song Good Day for you and all your worries and concern and she ended her talk with a good luck for you. 
Then it was time for you to perform. “Eojjeom ireoke haneureun deo paran geonji.” You listened to the song again and again, tried to understand what it means so you could put emotion to your singing only to find out that the song is actually about a girl confessing to a boy. Something you’ve never done and don’t ever plan to. But you’ve learned some ways to fake emotions when singing in theatre so you get to apply it to songs like these. “Nunmuri chaollaseo gogael deureo, heureuji motage tto saljjak useo.” You walked around the stage. To be honest, you prefer performing with an instrument. You don’t know what to do with your hands and how to project without your guitar or the piano. The big notes are coming. IU’s three-step high notes are held in 12 seconds continuously. The first note was for 6 seconds and then she jumped two more times. You don’t have any plans on showing off or even trying to hold it longer because you can’t guarantee you won’t crack. Though it’s still within your belting range, you don’t want to do it because jumping notes is tricky when you’re belting with vibrato. IU doesn’t have a stable vibrato based on her live performances of this song that you’ve watched; and she sang the entire song with a combination of her chest voice and falsetto while you can’t stay on your chest voice when belting. “naneunyo oppaga joheungeol... Aigoo, hana dul.” This is it. “I’m in my dreeeeee-eeee-eeeeeam...” Shoot. How long was that? Thank goodness you didn’t crack or get out of tune. It sounded shorter. Gah! The most important thing is that you delivered the notes. 
When you finished singing, the judges looked like they’re still holding their breaths. And when they realized it themselves, they all burst out laughing at each other. 
BoA looked at you with that proud look on her face again. But it was Mr. Park who spoke first. “BoA chose an explosive song for you.” He said and you braced yourself for a criticism. Maybe you cracked and you didn’t hear it? “I can hear tension in your upper belt register. Although I admire your good breath support and control, but it’s too controlled. You’re holding yourself and I heard it and I wanted you to go higher to finish it off but you didn’t.” He said. Wow. That’s exactly what you wanted it to be. To stay within your comfort range but he wanted you to let go? “F#5 is within your supported range, you can still bring that higher. Next time, I want you to take a risk because today although you hit the right notes you sounded too controlled for me.” Then he put down the microphone.
You bowed to him. “Kamsahamnida.” 
“You did make me regret it now. I should have fought for you.” Mr. Yang said and you all laughed but what did he mean he should have fought for you? “Anyway, Jinyoung is right.” He added afterwards. “Are you afraid to strain? It’s normal but I think you underestimate your range.” He waited for you to answer so you had to.
“Ahniyo. It’s just that I have these control issues. I don’t go for the unplanned.” You answered. Which is also applicable to your personal life. Your mother had pointed it out many times. 
“There is a difference between a singer who relies on style than technique. But you’re becoming too technical. I don’t blame musical theatre because your experience there was great, however when it comes to pop music... There’s this freedom of self expression and your choice of musical style. If you keep on controlling your voice; which I don’t think is bad, but you do it 95% that I can’t almost hear a pop singer but an opera singer.” Mr. Yang continued. 
Damn they’re right. “Algessumnida. Kamsahamnida.” 
“Aren’t they being too harsh?” BoA jested. The other two judges laughed at her comment. “But they have a point, right?” She asked you and you nodded. “You sang great. You hit the high notes with resonance. Your resonance that I love. Your vibrato are so beautiful... Technically, you made your voice teacher proud for sure. But we want you to sing with your heart, not with your mind, next time; okay?” 
Then you were sent to the seat. Your heart beating really fast. Shoot it. You might not make it. It’s your fault. You analyze too much! But you can’t help it. 
Yoojin sounded really really good. She sang Ariana Grande’s Problem and it sounded really beautiful. They both are soprano’s so it was easy for Yoojin. She even looked like she is enjoying and letting herself go. 
You didn’t really remember much about Seyoon’s performance because you were too worried your dream might end this early. 
You three were called on the stage after the judges have finished deliberating. They were saying something about the hardest decision they have to make because they don’t want to let go of any of you but they have to. 
When Seyoon was called as the third placer, you suddenly felt your muscles relax. At least, you’re still going to have a chance for a rematch with the other second placers. You fist-bumped Seyoon and tapped his shoulder before he left the stage. 
You and Yoojin held each others hands tightly. 
“The first person who’ll advance to the top ten is you...” It was Mr. Yang who’s making the announcement. “Kuk Yoojin.”