Dense as a Brick

Kai and You

 

“I’m a musician! You’re right. I should have chosen YG.” You ranted, the phone is already hot on your ears. You’ve been talking to Rina for 20 minutes while waiting for Jongin.
Jongin is a slowpoke. You’re already dressed and ready. He still hasn’t texted you. He’s supposed to text you when he’s already in the parking area so you’ll meet him there. 
“There you are again. There’s no use crying over spilt milk.” As expected of Rina, the blame always goes to you. It’s like both of you are looking at a painting, and while you’re so focused on one part, there she is looking at the bigger picture. 
“Shut it. Stop blaming me when you’re the one who left me!” You whined. 
Laughing, she said “Excuse me? You chose that apartment over our home.” She reminded. 
“But you don’t come anymore!” 
“I have work already. I’m a newbie. And besides, what do you need me for? You have people there at your disposal.” She reasoned. 
“You’re my conscience, my alter-ego and my personal cross! What are you talking about?” You heard her laughing and somehow that made you laugh too. You just missed Rina. 
“You’re crazy. I’ll pay you a visit this weekend before Aunt Jina leaves.” She said, reminding you that next week, your mom is going back to Singapore and you suddenly missed the heat and your friends there. “About your album. If they decide to give you songs to sing, just think of them as covers. Just like whenever you sing other singer’s songs.” Point taken. “Besides, it’s all about money. If the album doesn’t sell well that means they’re doing something wrong. Let them realize that.” 
How does Rina make things easier? You want to know which angle she’s looking at so you’ll see things the way she does and not mess up your own career with bad decisions. But you’re not going to allow yourself to get your hopes up anymore. That’s how people get hurt.
“I have a news for you this weekend so look forward to it, ‘kay?” Rina said. 
“Better make sure it’s good news, I don’t want another downer.” You told her then afterwards heard the doorbell ring. Rolling your eyes, you sighed. The pizza Nawoon ordered 15 minutes ago is faster than Jongin. The EXO dorm is apparently just in Nonhyeon-il while your apartment is in Nonhyeon-i, which is basically just the same area!
“You’ll be surprised.” She said, trying to sound mysterious just to make you more interested. 
“Don’t yo-” You heard some knocks on your door and it opened to reveal Yunsoo with an excited and flushed face. 
“EXOs Kai is here.” Yunsoo looked like a fangirl who is forced to contain her feels. 
That made you get off your bed so fast you almost lost your balance. “Rina, thank you, saranghe, I’ll call you back. Annyeong!” 
Why did Jongin come up here? You specifically told him to meet you in the parking area. Beating Yunsoo from going out to the living room, you saw Jongin sitting on the sofa talking to Suri about something. Suri was laughing so heartily while listening to Jongin’s story. Both clearly knows each other to act so comfortable together. 
When Suri noticed you, Jongin followed her line of vision and you smiled at him when you met his eyes. “Jongin!” You motioned for him to sit again when he stood to bow to you. “You didn’t tell me you’re already here.” You sat beside him. He looked so casual with his moss green cargo pants and gray shirt and a black Nike slide sandals. 
“Ne. I’m just telling Suri-noona and your mother you want to go to the gym tonight with me.” He explained.
Wow. Jongin just destroyed your plan. You're supposed to meet him in the parking area.The reason you want him to pick you up here is because you want him to drive since you want to try drinking and you’re not going to drive drunk afterwards. Not that you’ve been drunk before but you suddenly wanted to try and see why problematic and frustrated people drink to their hearts content. 
You wanted to protect Jongin’s image by hiding his identity. If your mother finds out you’re drunk, they’re immediately going to assume the person you’re with is a bad influence. 
“And he also told me how you met for the first time. You didn’t tell me about that, Kaela-ya.” Suri added. So that’s what she was laughing at. 
With a tray of juice and some of her pastries on her hands, your mom appeared from the kitchen. “You should have some before you leave, Jongin-sshi.” Your mom placed the tray on the center table. Your mom’s pastries and hospitality is the reason why your friends like to visit you at home in Singapore instead of going out. Not that you have a problem with that. 
You noticed how Jongin’s face flushed at the attention he’s getting and you just couldn’t help but smile. Why does he look so cute? “O, kamsahamnida, ajumma. You didn’t have to.” He said. 
“No worries, Jongin-sshi.” Then your mother turned to you. “Are you going to have dinner outside or should I leave some for you and maybe even for Jongin here when you get back?” 
Disappointed that your plan was spoiled, you don’t feel like going out anymore. “On second thought, I don’t want to go out anymore.” You said. “Jongin and I will just go chat in my room and please don’t hesitate to call us out when dinner’s ready. Okay?” You said and then leaned on the center table to bring the tray with you then started marching back to your room expecting Jongin to be following you. But when you turned, he was still on his seat looking so bewildered on your direction while Suri and your mother both were shaking their heads with your impulsiveness. 
“I think she wants you to follow her.” Suri told Jongin. 
“Chinchayo?” Jongin even made sure. 
Gah. “Come on, Jongin-ah.” You called out, then you heard your mom ask why you're not calling Jongin 'oppa' and he explained that you're more comfortable like that.
He stood, still a little confused but because you motioned for him to hurry, he walked towards you but looked back to your mother and Suri twice who both just gave him a nod. 


$$$

After closing the door, you turned to find Jongin standing awkwardly next to your bed but eyes on you. He looks like he’s not entirely sure he should be where he is as of the moment. He looks so cute just like a lost dog. You really don’t understand why you find Jongin so adorable. Like you literally want to pet him right now for looking like the way he does in front of you.
“What? You look so lost.” You laughed and reached to pinch his cheeks. Jongin pulled away, his warm hands captured yours. 
“I thought you want to exercise to release your frustration?” He asked. 
Now that he reminded you, you remembered what you forgot because Jongin was looking so cute. Pulling your hand away, you walked to get your guitar from the corner and sat on the couch facing Jongin who was still standing like a dance pole. So awkwardly cute. Wait, how many times have you used the word ‘cute’ towards Jongin today? And there, you just said it again in your head! 
“Will you sit? Stop tiptoeing in my room like you’re a ballet dancer.” You jested. 
A smile made its way on Jongin’s lips. “I’m a ballet dancer.” Then he paused and continued. “Or was.” 
That really surprised you. “Really? Wow! Can you show me?” You asked.
Finally sitting, Jongin shook his head. “What happened, Kaela?” He asked. “Over the phone earlier you sound so angry.”
Right. “I was.” No. “I still am.” Then you unconsciously started strumming your guitar. Now you remembered what the producer said about your songs and you’re starting to feel angry and sad again. All you ever wanted was to make music and touch people, hoping they’ll appreciate it. You thought that once you got signed into an entertainment company that everything’s going to fall into place. But it’s more difficult than you expected.
“That sounds good.” You heard Jongin said out of nowhere and you suddenly realized that he’s still in the room and you’re playing something random in your guitar. Again. It usually happens. 
“Huh?” You had to look at what your hands were doing and chuckled. “Oh, I didn’t even hear it.” You said absent-mindedly. 
“That’s cool! You’re so gifted. You can make great music so effortlessly.” He praised. And though that’s supposed to mean a complement but...
You put the guitar down and reached for a piece of pretzel knots from the tray of food your mom prepared for Jongin beside you and took a bite. “But the producer said they’re redundant and too negative for South Korea.” You raised your hands in the air. “Yey! I’m looking forward for the next five years of my career life. Wohoo! Oho...” But unfortunately, the pretzel bits in your throat betrayed you and tried to cut the air off of you. Just like everyone else in your life. 
“Here, here...drink this.” Jongin pressed the glass of juice gently on your lips and you gulped the entire content like a thirsty desert traveler. When you finished the entire thing, Jongin’s hand brushing your back really felt good. “Are you feeling better?”
“Yeah, thanks for saving my life.” You uttered and glanced at the tray. “Oh my god, I ate and drank your treats.” You stood looking back and forth between Jongin and the tray of goodies supposed to be for him. 
“I still have dinner.” Jongin said. That made you laugh. 
“Right.” You nodded. 
“Uhm...” Scratching the back of his head awkwardly again, Jongin hesitated on saying what he wanted to say. 
You reached; actually tiptoed, to put an arm around Jongin’s shoulder. He’s so tall, but a great wall to lean on. “Don’t be so stiff. Is this your first time inside a girl’s room?” You asked and laughed when Jongin’s eyes rounded at you, looking so appalled at the question. “Of course it’s not. But if it makes you feel better, just don’t think of me as a girl.” Wait, what? “I mean, I am a girl but we’re buddies so you can relax around me.” You gently tapped his shoulder. “Okay?” 
Three knocks on the door got your attention. “Dinner’s ready!”


$$$


“Thank you for the dinner, Mrs. Song. It’s one of the best I’ve ever had.” Jongin said after almost kissing his feet from the bow he just made in front of your mom. 
“That’s so sweet. You can bring some sweets I baked for your members, wait for me in the living room.” She motioned for you to lead Jongin back to the living room. 
“If you’re on a diet, it’s best not to come here when mom is here.” You said, pushing the boy in front of you to the living room. “She bakes for a dozen people even when there’s just the two of us and she would always tell me to bring some for my friends and for the teachers and the guards at school even to people on the streets!” You explained and sat on the couch in front of Jongin who was laughing at your story. “She used to be a social worker before she got married, that’s why she got used to cooking extra to give the rest to others. She told me she’d go back after her contract with NUS ends.” 
Throughout dinner, your mom shared stories about the difference between living in England, Singapore and Korea. Everyone was so interested. Even Jongin was asking questions. Apparently being the only dude over dinner wasn’t a problem for him because he’s the youngest of three siblings and the only boy. 
“We have a shoot tomorrow and I have to leave in a few but...” Jongin started looking elsewhere aside from you again. You already know he’s shy and all but you don’t really get why he does that thing where he looks away and act all awkward all over again despite your efforts to make him feel comfortable with you and being with each other for almost two hours now. Wait, hold up! This is the first time you made an actual effort for a guy! What in the world? Although it’s not that much, but still! You want him to like you! Not romantically of course! He’s actually cool to be with. He’s sensitive and he can read you. There aren’t a lot of boys like that anymore. He’s going to be a great confidant. “-you haven’t told me much about what happened earlier.” That’s what he’s being shy about? That’s so cute!
“Well, I talked to my cousin about it and she told me to just think of it like I’m doing covers.” You remembered. “You should meet her, she’s an EXO fan.”
Jongin just smiled politely. “I’ll thank her in person next time.” He said but now suddenly his smile was gone and he’s looking at you seriously. “I understand you don’t know much about the entertainment industry here. You’re a musician...” There goes. Someone other than you and your family acknowledging what your real desire is. “You want to express what’s yours. Your song is still number one on most music charts and it’s already its third week. You haven’t even debuted yet and for a song like that to go that far is saying something.” Exactly. But you wanted Jongin to go on, so you just nodded to motion him to continue. “Most entertainment companies here train performers, not musicians.” He added, “Prove to them that your songs are going to be much more popular than the ones they gave you and that will change their mind about your next album.” 
You looked at Jongin like he’s your savior or something. Of course! This is just a challenge for you. What is life without one? You need to prove them wrong. All of those who doesn’t believe in you. “Tell me more.” You encouraged him. 
Jongin frowned a little and then tipped his head to the side before speaking once more. “Yixing, Jongdae and Chanyeol-hyung co-wrote a song in our last album and fans liked it very much so now Chanyeol and Yixing-hyung are writing one song each for our next album, Baekhyun-hyung is also trying to compose one.” He shared. 
“Daebak. You just lifted my spirits up.” You smiled at him, thankful that you talked to him about what happened today. “Gomawo for listening and...for not judging.” 
Blushing once again, Jongin smiled back and said “You’re welcome.” 
"Here they are, my treats.” Your mom handed Jongin a box. 
“What’s in there, mum?” You asked. 
“Some cookies and the pretzel kno-” 
You excitedly stood and sat beside Jongin then reached for the box to open it. “You’re going to like these cream cheese pretzels mom makes for me, it tastes just like the ones in Disneyland and look at the shape, looks like Mickey Mouse, right?” You pointed the treat in the box when you and Jongin peeked in. “It’s my favorite.” 
“Chincha? I’ll try it later when I get home. My members will definitely like these.” Jongin said. 
Just in time, Suri came out from the kitchen; probably done washing the dishes with Nawoon, and told Jongin he needs to get home now before his managers worry about him and reminded him of the Ivy Club photoshoot tomorrow morning. 
After Jongin has left, Nawoon and Yunsoo gathered in front of you to tease you about Jongin and asking you if he’s the same person you’re busy texting with. 
Thankfully, Suri intervened and saved you from their claws. “You two. Stop pairing them up! They’re friends. Don’t create any reason for awkwardness between them and besides, Kaela isn’t allowed to date.” 
You smiled wickedly at the two.
“Your mood seemed to be better now.” Your mom asked you. The moment you got home, Suri told your mom and the two other girls about what happened and you were still so upset and you just wanted to be alone so you excused yourself and went to your room to dress up since you’re supposed to go out with Jongin and while waiting; decided to call Rina because you suddenly missed her smart mouth. 
“I spoke to Rina.” You told them all what Rina said. “And then Jongin said I’ll just have to prove that my songs are going to be much better than the ones they assign to me so they’ll entrust the entire second album to me next time.”
“You still have to apologize to those people you walked out on.” Your mom reminded and you nodded. Of course you knew what you did was wrong. But it was a momentary lapse of judgment! That’s why you promised your mother you’re going to make it right. 


$$$


The photo shoot will be held in a studio in Itaewon. 
You all walked towards the building fast and when you got in, someone welcomed you and spoke to Suri immediately. The woman lead your group to your dressing room where your wardrobe was already prepared. You gulped, there’s so many of them. That’s a lot of changing you could imagine. 
Apparently they have their own make up artist so Nawoon ended up on standby and sometimes helping Yunsoo with your stuff. 
The make up artist was babbling about how white you are and how small and pointy your nose is and how she no longer needs to put a nose line and all, you just learned to fake a smile and then shut the conversation out in your head. But when she started talking about your song and her favorite performances of you on Kpop Star, you’re all ears. 
The first uniform they gave you was a yellow jacket top with white polo shirt inside and a moss green skirt. The uniforms basically are the same cut but only different in detail and color. The top are of variety but it’s all short skirt. You feel like an anime character. 
“Omo, gwiyomi!” The other female staff shrieked when you came out of your dressing room after one of the producers knocked and told you the first set of shots will be up in five minutes. 
You playfully posed for them outside of your dressing room’s door. “The last time I wore a uniform was back in England.” The uniforms there are quite similar here in Korea too. They’re different with each season, so during winter you wear three layers of clothing; or more plus a hat that also changes in style, two layers during spring and autumn and well, only one during summer. 
“Whoa, you look like a real Korean student, Kaela-sshi.” That was Joonmyeon from your right, and when you turned, you realized the boys saw you pose like a trying-hard Instagram fashion-blogger. But then, so what! You’re a musician and not a professional model. 
Automatically smiling, bowing and greeting Joonmyeon and the boys behind him with the greeting you promised to do only to them, you fist-bumped everyone before you turned to the leader again and said “You look like a real Korean student too.” For the lack of a better response. 
“Yeah, especially a high school student.” Jongdae said, teasing Joonmyeon. 
“You mean, especially the height?” That was Chanyeol who backed off immediately when Joonmyeon turned to give him a look and hid behind Baekhyun, as if the boy’s enough to cover his giant self. The other members were laughing as well. Even though it was all friendly teasing, you couldn’t help yourself. 
“What are you talking about? Joonmyeon-oppa’s height is the best height for me.” You stood beside their leader. “See? It’s easier for girls like me.” You teased. “I don’t like to tiptoe.”
Baekhyun’s eyes widened, including his mouth. “Easier for what?” Only Baekhyun was brave enough to voice out what’s on his mind although it was clear enough everyone basically had an idea of what you meant already. 
You just smiled sweetly at them, trying to make it mysterious before you looked and winked not-so-secretly at Joonmyeon then you walked over to the studio. The photographer greeted you and vice versa once again complementing you and how you carry the uniform. You don’t know what he’s talking about, you just carried it unconsciously. There were other male staffs that gathered while you were shown the photographic storyboard but they dispersed when EXO stood behind you to listen as well.. 
The instructions given to you were simple. You just have to stand in between the eight boys and smile. Wow. This is easier than singing. But just because it’s easier doesn’t make it more appealing than making music. Sure you can do this from time to time, but you should start singing soon. 
The uniform you wore was similar to EXO except of course theirs are for boys. You look like you go to the same school with them. 
“Kai, please stand on Kaela’s left.” The producer said. “Sehun sit on that stool and Kaela turn and face Kai and lean slightly on Sehun’s chair.” Once you three got the instruction, the photographer moved to the other members.
“Good morning!” You uttered when you looked up at Jongin who looked so tense and uncomfortable and you want to know why but you want to cheer him up first because you haven’t seen him smile today yet.  
A small smile appeared on Jongin’s lips in exchange to the cheerful smile you gave him. “Good morning.” He replied shyly. This boy is too shy for his own good. How can one spend time together with someone and even share problems with them, even gave advices and then act all shy again the next day?
“Alright! Eyes on the lens everyone, maintain your poses and try to relax.” Said the photographer. He made you all try some different positions and facial expressions. 
Then they asked each one of you to pose individually. Being the only girl, they did yours first and suddenly; though you’re not the shy type, you felt embarrassed because EXO was watching you as well as most of the staff and even those who are not part of production.
You’ve been giving Suri the ‘look’ to indicate that she do something whenever you get the chance to turn to her, unfortunately, she didn’t get you. 
“Wah, yeppuda.” Says the photographer who made a girly pose for you to imitate. “Try this one, twirl the ends of your hair like this.”
With a fake smile you uttered, “Uhh, this is embarrassing as hell.” Those who heard you laughed. “I don’t even like taking pictures of myself.” You told them and made a face while the photographer kept his camera clicking. 
“You don’t have sns?” Asked the photographer’s assistant. 
“Nope.” You said and copied the pose then acted like throwing up afterwards.
“It’s a good thing you’re effortlessly adorable and beautiful.” Said the photographer while laughing at you. “See? The camera loves you, you register perfectly in every shot with any facial expression. Even these!” He motioned for you to come see it on the screen and you did, only to find out he took pictures of you while making faces and even when you pretended to vomit. 
“Oh, gwiyeowo!” Chanyeol said from behind you and after he said that the other staff came to see them. 
There’s nothing gwiyeowo about those pictures. They’re embarrassing and uncool! Now that’s going to add to people’s dork folder of you. But you took deep breaths and calmed yourself. You really did regret what you did yesterday when you walked out on the producers of your album. You will try to improve your patience because you don’t want another bedtime lecture from your mother about respect and patience. 

$$$

While the other EXO members are doing their individual shoots before the change of wardrobe, Yunsoo gave you food for lunch and told you to eat immediately because you’re going to have to change into the next set of uniform for another group shot. And there’s still going to be eight more afterwards. 

$$$

By 6pm, the shoot was finally over. It was fun. You bonded with EXO. Got to know them a little better and even exchanged jokes with them. Everyone actually started to relax with you except Jongin considering you’re closest to him. But you all got too busy for you to even have time to speak to him. He’s such a mystery. 
Just when you actually thought you’re finally going home, Suri told you that you’re going to have a 30-minute sit-down interview together with EXO for the video promotion of Ivy Club. 
When you came out from your dressing room, still wearing the last uniform from earlier, you saw EXO still did too. You greeted the interviewer before you sat. They reserved a seat for you in the middle between Jongdae and Joonmyeon with Kyungsoo and Minseok on each side and the rest were standing behind you. 
“Annyeonghaseyo! Guess where I am and who I’m with today!” She animatedly opened the show. “I’m with the hottest boygroup in Korea and a very popular rookie champion from Kpop Star!” She presented you all excitedly like a real fangirl when she was a lot calmer earlier. “I’m here on the photoshoot of Ivy Club’s summer collection with Mikaela Bennett and EXO!” She clapped and when EXO joined in, you followed suit. “Whoa! Kaela-sshi please introduce yourself.” Said the girl and you wondered why you have to introduce yourself when she already mentioned your name but well, you’re not going to point that out.
“Annyeonghaseyo, chonun Kaela imnida! Bangapsumnida!” You bowed and smiled to the camera. 
“Whoa! So pretty. I really love your dimples it’s so cute you look like Shin Minah and Miranda Kerr. Yeppuda.” She even moaned. Yes she did and you tried had to act grateful even if you don’t really know who Shin Minah is. 
“O guraeyo? Kamsahamnida.” You bowed and heard EXO agreeing. 
Then the girl asked the boys to introduce themselves and they did with their unified loud voices that surprised you at first, making you reach for your chest and the host noticed and even brought it up. “You scared Kaela-sshi.” She said laughing and the boys playfully apologized. “Kaela-sshi, are you friends with EXO?”
Smiling at the question, you shook your head. “Ahniyo. Do we have to be?” You jested. 
Laughing, the host took it seriously because she had that look of disbelief in her face. “Chincha?” 
“Nongdamiyo.” You took it back immediately. “We’re all getting to know each other and they’re still awkward with me so...” You shrugged.
Joonmyeon reacted, “Kaela-sshi is very cool and approachable. When you’re with her, she removes the awkwardness immediately.”
Confused, the interviewer asked “But why did she say you’re awkward with her?”
“It’s because though Kaela-sshi looks so friendly, but in person when you see her, you’d be thinking..” Baekhyun started scratching his head and acting like someone thinking twice. “Oh! It's Kaela-sshi!” He was acting as if he’d seen you in a distance. “Ah, she’s like a princess, will she even spare a glance at an ugly looking person like me?” Everyone laughed. 
That’s the first time you’ve heard that. “Ahniyo! I’m not like that.” You couldn’t stop laughing because Baekhyun’s acting was priceless. 
“It’s totally like that.” Jongdae added and you turned to make a face at him. 
“That didn’t happen when we first met.” You said.
“What happened when you first met, Kaela-sshi?” Asked the girl.
Chanyeol stepped forward bringing with him Baekhyun who he asked to portray you and re-enacted your epic-fail first greeting with Chanyeol when he first offered a handshake and you bowed and when you offered your hand afterwards he bowed and you ended up fist bumping each other. Everyone, even the staffs were laughing. 
“That’s why right now, we greet each other like that everytime.” Chanyeol concluded when he returned to his seat. “But Kaela-sshi is so cool.”
Cool. Yep. That’s you. So you turned to Chanyeol and gave him a thumbs up. 
“Wah, I can see you have a great relationship with EXO. Who among your SM sunbaenims are you closest to right now?” The interviewer asked. 
“Um, I’m closest to BoA-sunbaenim-unnie and Taeyeon-sunbaenim-unnie.” You answered, making everyone laugh again. That’s when you started to wonder if you should have taken the comedian road instead of the singers’.
“That’s really cute. You call them sunbaenim and unnie at the same time.” She said and you didn’t know it wasn’t common?
She asked EXO about their relationship to the rookies and how they help them. Then the questions were back to you. 
“Kaela-sshi, you were born and raised in England and lived in Singapore for five years before coming here. When it comes to your ideal type, do you prefer British, Singaporean or Korean?” 
You almost-almost rolled your eyes. Thank goodness you saw Suri shaking her head. 
“I don’t really have an ideal type.” You answered. And as a bonus, you said “For me, love comes first.” Yuck, you plan to puke later. 
“Whoa!” It was like everyone planned to react the same way. They even clapped. The other boys voiced out their agreement. 
“The staff went silent while you were answering and I bet they were praying you to say Korean.” She joked. “But do you have a boyfriend right now?”
Gosh with these questions. “I don’t have time. I’m too in love with music to be honest.” 
“SM coached you well.” Said the interviewer and everyone burst out laughing.
“Ahniyo. I’m a very straightforward person. Most of the time, my mouth works faster than my brain so if SM told me what to say, my mouth is faster than my memory so I won't be able to say it anyway.” You explained. 
“Then if you’re straightforward, who is the most handsome in EXO?” She asked to test if you’re one of those who play it safe. 
And to prove that, you smiled and looked at each one of the members. “Suho-oppa is the most handsome.” 
The rest of the members pretended to be hurting and you saw Sehun playfully patting Jongin’s back and the latter turned to hit the maknae.

 

----------------------

A/N: Seriously, Kaela is so cruel to Nini but that's how she is. Well she's supposed to be dense and refuses to acknowledge Jongin's feelings; but for a reason. As much as I want to speed up their romance, I just couldn't. I want to build a really strong foundation so that one day, Kaela will wake up and realize... whoa! I can't live without Jongin... and she'll be crazy in love with Jongin like all of us are. 

Thank you for reading guys! See you next chap!