Far Too Subtle

Kai and You

 

-It’s Jongin. Is your instructor there yet?- 
You smiled. You’ve already finished your coffee and some cookies you and your mom baked that you brought. You can’t not have coffee without a cookie. But of course the instructor isn’t here yet because you’re an hour early and it’s just been more or less fifteen minutes since Jongin has left.  
You’re not really a texter. You prefer a call. But since you’re not doing anything at the moment, you found yourself pressing the keypad on your phone. Yes, keypad. You do not own a smart phone. What you have is still the old qwerty version of Blackberry. Had it for three years and is still working so you’re still using it. You’re not the techie type. You use something until you can no longer use it and that’s when you buy something new. 
Speaking hangul is not a problem even if you still have an accent; reading and writing is. Especially texting! This is why you prefer a call. You’re so slow when it comes to this. Even in English. That’s why when you pressed reply, you only said: -No yet.- Of course in Hangul. 
Immediately after it was sent, the door opened. From slouching on the sofa, you stood to greet your trainer immediately. Surprised that your dance instructor is actually a girl, you stifled a smile on your lips. Silly you.
After introductions and all, you raised your hands in the air and said “I’m not a good dancer. I don’t dance at all, so please go easy on me?” 
Sera laughed. “I saw you dance on Kpop Star.” 
Geez. Who hasn’t seen the mess they made of your image on that competition? Groaning in frustration, you made your dance instructor laugh even more when you made a face. 
Thankfully though, Sera was a very understanding and effective instructor. She said since watching you in Kpop Star, she knew exactly what you need. “Exercise for stamina and interest for you to be actually confident because without confidence, one can look awkward but you definitely have the potential.”
You smiled, “Interest in dancing? Please... After this commercial, I’m not doing anything close to dancing again.” You said, breathless and tired after hours of exertion. You’re so sweaty, and haven’t been this sweaty in a really long time. Sera was right, you definitely need more exercise. 
Sera laughed. “You’re an eye-candy, anything you do will be just fine.” 
And though you know she meant it as a compliment, you were insulted. You know she meant about your looks being enough to draw attention but that’s not what you’ve been working for. She doesn’t know what she’s talking about and it’s the fault of the society who instilled the importance of skin-deep beauty. You love music so much. Even as a child when you first saw a musical, you knew exactly what you want to do when you grow up and until you die, and that’s to sing and make music. You’re going to be remembered as a musician/vocalist and not just a singer with pretty face. 
You’re suddenly upset. But smiling and thanking Sera for her compliment; you stood and started to gather your things. You’re tired and sweaty and you just want to go home and take a shower. 

$$$

-Are you home now?- 
Jongin’s reply just came in as soon as you got inside the apartment. You were in the middle of answering it when you heard Suri calling you from the dining room. 
“Kaela-yah, is that you? Come over here.” 
You saw Suri and your mother sitting there comfortably each with their cups of tea and eating some more pastries your mom baked. Your mom loves to bake and you grew up eventually learning and loving it as well. So you sat right next to your mom and picked a piece of your favorite pretzel knots. You groaned at the familiar taste of your childhood that seems to be a part of the ingredients. 
“Have you taken your lunch already?” Your mom asked. 
“Not yet. I’m gonna take a shower first.” You said, still busy chewing the food in your mouth and your fingers are busy answering Jongin’s text message with a short -Yep, only now.- But because you felt like you’re only answering his questions and you’re not actually making a conversation with him, you added a -You?- on the last part. It’s really difficult to type in Hangul so you have to concentrate because you’re not really good with spelling. 
Shaking her head, your mom gave you a look. “No, you’re taking it now.” She stood and tapped your hand when you tried to get another piece of pretzel. “Enough of that. Eat your meal first, I’ll go get if for you. And no cellphone on the table.” She stood and disappeared into the kitchen. 
Suri was smiling so wickedly at you. “You heard the boss.” She eyed your phone. “Is that one of the Kpop Star boys or the SM boys?”
Wow. Suri sure is sharp. That made you laugh. Which made you think, she’s not married yet and with her current job requiring her to be with you almost all the time; except that you don’t want anyone to be with you almost all the time, how could she still manage a relationship? 
You gotta give her some of yours if you want to get some of hers. So you made a quick glance at the door to the kitchen and leaned closer to her. “It’s just Jongin.” You shrugged. 
Suri’s brows drew together. “Jongin. Kim Jongin from EXO?” 
You nodded. “Yes. We met earlier at the studio and he offered to teach me some dance routines to make it easier for me to learn my dance steps.”
Suri laughed. “That doesn’t make any sense. That’s what your dance instructor’s job is.” Then she shook her head. “That boy sure isn’t as swift and flawless as his dance moves.” She uttered with a knowing smile on her lips. 
Well, you’re not entirely oblivious to what’s going on. You’ve been the object of affection of some guys with not so platonic intentions several times. It’s easy to identify really. Somehow, even knowing that there’s a possibility of Jongin liking you, it’s surprisingly difficult to dodge him. Of course you don’t see Jongin; or any other man for that matter, in a romantic way. You doubt you ever will. You just feel like he’s a very genuine person, someone who has the same intensity of passion as you for music and him for dancing. You can relate to him and you want people like him around you because you know that only those on the same level of dedication and seriousness would understand you like you think you understand them as well. Jongin’s going to be a really great friend. 
“He’s persistent. Plus it’s only when both of us are free, whenever that is. Not a big deal.” You said nonchalantly and decided it’s time to turn the table. “So, are you single-single, or single-taken?” 
Suri’s loud laughter was what your mother heard when she finally reappeared with a tray of food for you. “Kids these days are so complicated. What do you mean?”
You rolled your eyes. “Single-single means you’re not married and you don’t have a boyfriend, while single-taken means you’re not married but you have a boyfriend.” You explained like you would to a child. 
“I’m single-taken, then.” She answered and that only raised your curiosity. 
“How long have you been together? Is it okay for him that you almost don’t have time together? I mean, I don’t mind if you ask for more day-off’s.” You said. 
“Kaela, you’re being too nosy. Remember, we are in Korea.” Your mother said, and that’s what made you sit straight on your chair. 
“Fine.” You uttered and started to focus on your meal. 
“We’ve only been together for two years. When we met, I was only a regular SM staff. Then I became an apprentice-manager, but SHINee’s schedule was very hectic and I have to be with them all the time which is mostly everyday.” She shared anyway. There goes a painful smile yet again on another girl’s lips. 
“But, you’re still together right?” You asked. 
Suri shrugged. “Yeah.” Sadness was unmasked in her eyes. “Maybe. We still see each other.”
“But something’s changed? He’s already cold to you and he rarely checks on you now.” Suri looked at you after you said that, and her face is like how-did-you-know?.
“Kaela don’t-” You unwittingly cut your mom. 
“Then why are you still with him? It’s foolishness to stay in a relationship when you’re no longer happy.” You couldn’t help it. Not when someone in front of you is blinded by this emotion they think they can’t live without. 
“Kaela, what did I say about unsolicited advice?” Your mom reminded you. 
“Right, I’ll save it on my lyrics.” You murmured and slumped on your seat. 
“I’m sorry, Suri-ah. Kaela’s a bit bitter when it comes to relationships.” You heard your mother. Huh, bit! It’s not just a bit. You’re totally a 100% bitter. “She didn’t exactly have a great example growing up, with what happened to her dad and I.” You rolled your eyes. 
Then suddenly, Suri looked like she had a realization. “So that’s why your song is like that?” 
“You say that as if it’s disgusting.” You noticed.That song is still number one as we speak and that only means a lot of people can relate to it. But good news, you’re not alone! There are a lot of you who are suffering who needs to Wake Up.”  
“Kaela, stop it.” Your mom said in her warning tone. So you raised your hands, surrendering and focused on eating while listening to your mom and Suri talking about how negative you’ve become. And it’s not at all bad, people sometimes needs a reality check from their fantasies and you’ll be so happy to do that for them. 

$$$

The next day you spent almost five hours at the studio in the morning to re-record the studio version of Wake Up in Hangul and English which will be released next week for digital download.  
In the afternoon, you attended the rehearsal for the recording of the McDonald’s theme song you’re going to sing and dance to. It was an easy and upbeat song, very catchy that you immediately perfected the song by the end of the day. The recording will then be made the day after tomorrow. 
You were so tired, and you felt even more so when you realized the sun has already set and you spent the entire day inside the recording studio missing it. You started stretching the moment you got out of the car when you reached the apartment building’s parking area.
You, Suri and Yunsoo were already at the elevator when you heard your message alert tone. 
-What are you doing?-
It was from Jongin. Somehow, whenever you read Jongin’s text messages, it’s as if you could hear his voice clearly in your head. You really like his voice, it’s so comforting and genuine. You like his voice and his personality. You’re going to be really great friends.
-Only now home. You?- 
Last night, you talked about Korea, the culture and traditions that you are not used to and you ended up asking so many things about it. Jongin was kind enough to answer all of your question to the best of his knowledge. 
“Who are you texting?” You heard Yunsoo ask as soon as the elevator door opened and with your eyebrows raised, you met her eyes. 
“Why would I tell you?” You playfully asked her.
“You’re not allowed to date for the first three years of your contract, right unnie?” She turned to the manager in hopes that Suri will back her up. 
But Suri only smiled meaningfully at you then to Yunsoo. “Kaela knows what she’s doing.” 
Yunsoo looked back and forth between you and Suri with her hand over her chest and open like she’s suspecting something happened for Suri to be so calm about one of the most important part of the contract. 
You laughed and made a face at Yunsoo, wanting to stick your tongue out playfully at her but just when she opened to speak as you finally got inside the apartment you heard your phone’s message alert tone. When you checked on it, Yunsoo tried to take a peek. “Yah, unnie! What are you looking at?” You hid your phone behind you.
“Who is that?” She asked with a helping of a little pout.
“Why do you want to know?” With that strong interest Yunsoo is showing, you couldn’t help the want to bully her. “Are you a spy? If you found out it’s a boy, are you planning on leaking it to the media?”
Yunsoo cocked her head to the side to give you her own cunning smile. “You are so defensive, Kaela. You like him, whoever that person is.” She concluded. 
Rolling your eyes, you raised your hands in the air. “I’m outta here! You’re delusional. I’m not talking to you any longer.”
Before you closed the door to your room, you even heard Yunsoo’s witchy laughter while saying, “Speaking English because she can’t refute.” 
As if. 

$$$

-Are you free tonight? Let’s have dinner.- 
That was Taeyeon’s text you read right after you and Sera finished your practice for today. Before the actual practice, you had some warm-up exercise and surprisingly it isn’t that difficult to move anymore as it was the first time. 
-Yes. Me call you.-
You replied and pressed the call button after a moment. When Taeyeon answered, she was laughing already. 
“Your spelling and grammar are all over the place, Kaela-yah.” Was the first thing she said, and she’s probably not just talking about your reply just now but ever since you started texting each other.  
“Yah unnie, that’s why I told you to just call.” You countered. 
“Arasso, arasso, mianhe.” She sounded like she was baby-talking you. “What do you want to eat? Do you have a dietary plan or something for your voice?” She asked. 
You remembered one very strict rule that Suri wanted you to follow which is the 80/20 diet rule. Also you’re not allowed to drink anything cold within 24hours before a performance and since tomorrow you’re going to record the McDonalds song, you’re going to opt out on anything cold. 
“The management want me to follow the 80/20 rule, but we’re eating Italian so it should be fine.” You laughed and Taeyeon joined you when she heard the mischievousness in your laughter. 
“Yah! I’m a very stern sunbae, but....I play favorites, don’t tell anyone.” She jested and both of you started laughing again. “Okay, okay...so you’re in Nonhyeon right? I know a place that’s really private. Who’s coming with you?” 
You shook your head even if Taeyeon can’t see you. “No one. I can go alone. How about I pick you up?”
“Chincha?” There was surprise in Taeyeon’s voice. “They let you go out alone?”
Feeling proud, you said “Uhuh. Like right now and the last time I went to my dance practice, it’s just me.”
“Gurae?!” Taeyeon sounded stupefied. “But it’s dangerous! If the management knows-”
“Unnie, I don’t like chaperones all the time. It’s suffocating. I’ll take responsibility to the management.” You explained. 
Sighing, Taeyeon said “But what if that incident at the airport happens again?”
“I promised to stay out of those situation. I’ll run away immediately before people start to crowd.” 
“Algesumnida. If that ever happens again, you’re going to get one from me.” She warned but then laughed at her silliness afterwards. 
“So where will I pick you up?” You’re so excited for tonight. The last time you went out with friends was when you and the other Kpop Star contestants had dinner after the Special Interview shoot. 
“My apartment is in Seocho.” She gave you her address and a landmark since you’re not that familiar with the place. Taeyeon sounded so excited and you remembered that she doesn’t really go out that much so you plan to have fun with her tonight. “Let’s go watch the Banpo bridge rainbow fountain after.” 
“Okay, okay! I’m so excited.”
Before you ended the call she was telling you about bringing a face mask and a hooded coat. 
Sera already went ahead even before you answered Taeyeon’s call. You told her you’re going to stay a little to compose yourself first before leaving. You had a very strenuous practice today. Well more like the exercise were the difficult one because Sera said you need to feel light first because since you don’t exercise at all, your body feels so heavy and it shows when you’re dancing. 
After your breathing became normal and you’ve wiped your sweat off, you started gathering your things when the door suddenly opened and you heard men’s voices, laughter and footsteps. 
“Oh, Kaela-sshi is here.” That was Chanyeol who came in first in his sweatshirt and pants with a snapback on his head. One of their managers was right next to him who smiled at you immediately.
You stood and started bowing. “Annyeonghaseyo!” 
And then it’s like a dozen people came in. They’re all looking at you and you had to bow so many times,you can’t count it anymore and you’re starting to feel your back hurting for real. When you looked up after the last bow, you saw Jongin behind Sehun at the back smiling at you and you smiled back at him.
“You’re practicing a dance?” One of their manager asked. 
“Ne. For a commercial.” You answered. 
Jongdae and Baekhyun started clapping and congratulating you. “Waah, you’re so in demand.” Baekhyun said. 
“Kamsahamnida.” Huh, in-demand yes but not because of your music. For now. 
“We’re so excited for our shoot next week!” Jongdae said. 
Frowning a little and thinking maybe you’ve misunderstood what you heard, you tipped your head to the side and asked “EXO and me?” 
All of them looked surprised. 
“You didn’t know? You were supposed to join us for the Ivy Club spring and summer collection.” Joonmyeon said. 
“Guys it was last minute, she probably didn’t know yet.” Said one of their managers and gently tapped your head. “Your manager’s going to tell you soon, maybe today.”
You smiled and nodded. “Algesumnida.”
“Do you know what Ivy Club is?” Joonmyeon asked. 
Shaking your head, you said. “I’m not familiar, but you said spring and summer collection so maybe it’s a clothing brand?” 
“A school uniform brand.” Chanyeol added and you finally understood. 
“Kaela-sshi, you’re forgetting our greeting.” Baekhyun raised his fist while smiling at you knowingly. 
Laughing, you met Baekhyun halfway when he advanced towards you and bumped your fist to his then your shoulders. The other members lined up for their turn which got you laughing so hard you couldn’t even put force in your fists and shoulders anymore. You heard their managers and assistants laughing behind you watching the scene. 
Sehun and Jongin looked the shyest. They were the last ones.
“Don’t greet others like this, only EXO okay?” Jongdae told you as you went for Jongin last. 
“Okay.” You promised and smiled at Jongin who really looked hesitant to approach you. His face started to flush and he really looked so cute like a puppy. After your awkward greeting with Jongin, you heard Sehun laugh out loud.
“Jonginnie, are you okay?” Baekhyun asked and then you heard him groan when Joonmyeon smacked his bottom. 
“Are you done for today?” Joonmyeon asked you. 
That’s when you realized, you have to leave now because they’re probably going to use the studio and with you around, they can’t start immediately.
“Ne. I’m actually about to leave.” You walked back to the sofa and took your bag. 
“Where’s Suri and the others?” Another manager asked you. 
“Uhm, it’s just me today.” You answered. And as expected, everyone’s faces were full of wonder, surprise and worry. “No worries. I’m very independent. I just don’t like bothering other people with things I can do myself.” 
The manager looked at you like you’re an apparition of his greatest nightmare. “But you can’t-”
“Don’t we all do that sometimes?” You turned to Jongin when you heard him spoke. “Sometimes we even sneak out just to go and do some things by ourselves, right?”
“But she’s a girl and she needs someone physically stronger to protect her.” There goes Baekhyun, dropping the gender bomb in front of you. 
You did your final bow. You can’t stay any longer and hear how weak they think of you; not just of you but girls in general. “Thank you for your concern, but I’ll be fine. I will take care. Good luck on your practice! Fighting!” Waving your hand, you bid your goodbye and left. 
-Thank you.- You sent Jongin to which he replied with a smiley and a thumbs up. Shaking your head, you smiled at the security who opened the door for you. 

$$$

The drive to Seocho-dong isn’t that difficult because it’s really just close to Nonhyeon even when it’s already outside Gangnam. You went inside the drive way of Taeyeon’s apartment building and she was already waiting at the lobby so she came out immediately. 
She looked so amazed that you are actually going out alone and driving at that. 
“Whoa, I didn’t know you have a license here.” She said when she got in. You greeted her, and out of habit pulled her in for an air kiss when you realized midway what you’re doing. 
“Oh-” You laughed and pulled away. “I forgot a cheek-to-cheek kiss isn’t common here.”
Laughing, Taeyeon pulled you back. “It’s okay, Tiffany and I do that too.” So you pressed your right cheek on her and imitated a kiss sound then to the other and when you two pulled away, you were laughing like some invisible hands were tickling both of your sides. 
“Most of my closest friends at the University are either from Latin America of EU and I got used to greeting them like this.” You explained. To be honest, you only greet someone like this when you feel so comfortable with the person and you realized just how comfortable you are with Taeyeon now. 
“I heard that’s how they normally greet each other. Tiffany only does one cheek though.” Taeyeon shared. “It’s different. Cool. I like being both.” 
You laughed at her because the last sentence sounded and looked like she was talking to herself. Then you remembered her question earlier. “Oh, you asked me about my license. I have an International Driver’s Permit. I applied last year when I started driving for myself to SBS.” You told her when you started the car and drove out of the drive way to the main road. 
“Daebak. I love driving so much.” She said and you turned to her smiling. Yet another thing you have in common. 
She gave you instructions on where to go. There’s this Italian restaurant in Banpo-dong she said that she and Tiffany always go to. While driving, she took a video of you for her Instagram update. 
“My personal driver.” Taeyeon said that made you laugh as you glanced at her and then to her phone’s camera. “Please introduce yourself, driver-nim.”
“Annyeong! Chonun Michael-imnida. Bangapsumnida!” You lowered your voice trying to sound like a guy that made Taeyeon giggle like a high school girl. The video was short so she was able to upload it immediately and even showed it to you the moment you parked at the restaurant’s dark car park. “Look at the comments, so funny.” She read some of them. “Michael-oppa is so handsome!” Followed by your laughter. “I can’t wait for Kaela’s debut. Wow. Kaela should make sns soon!” After reading that, she looked at you. 
“Nope.” You said immediately, already knowing what her look meant. “I’m too lazy for that. I’ll just cameo on yours once in a while.” You winked at her. 
“Okay.” She didn’t push. When you’re both already going out, she stopped you. “Use your hood. We can remove it once inside.” And you did.
The restaurant was grand. Big and classy. Apparently, Taeyeon already made a reservation. The staffs didn’t look starstrucked, an indication that they’re used to seeing celebrities in here. 
Once seated, you immediately ordered. Afterwards, like a real concerned sunbae; Taeyeon asked you about your activities. 
“Suri-unnie said that once we start working on my album that I’d get busier than I am today.” You said.
Nodding, Taeyeon told you that’s true. Every day is going to be really hectic. “I heard from our managers that so many interviews, appearances and commercial companies are contacting the management for you.”
“Chinchayo? EXO told me earlier that I will join them in promoting Ivy Club for the spring and summer collection. Suri-unnie haven’t told me anything, she’s out whole day today so probably she’ll tell me later when I get home.” 
“EXO?”
“Um, after my dance practice earlier for the McDonalds commercial they came in to the studio to practice too.” You two stopped talking while the waiter served your orders and continued when he’s left. 
“I think they’re going to do your debut promotion instead of us.” She said.
“What do you mean?”
“Every artists about to debut will team up with a senior artist or group; like, appear in music videos and commercials with them, to promote the new artist.” Taeyeon explained. That makes sense. 
“Who promoted you before then?” You asked. 
“Ah, TVXQ promoted us back then.” She answered. 
“And who did your group promote after?” You asked even though you already are suspecting something. 
“We promoted EXO.” Taeyeon only confirmed your suspicion. When she cocked her head to her side and glared at you, you realized that you’re suddenly lost in your thoughts. “What are you smiling at?” And apparently you’re smiling. 
“Nothing.” You said defensively, stifling your smile. 
But Taeyeon relentlessly bugged you about what you were thinking until you had to spill it later on. You were finally able to figure out how she and Baekhyun came to this. She hasn’t told you that much about what really happened and you don’t want to pressure her by asking. 
But, you didn’t actually have to ask anymore because, she told you what really happened throughout your dinner. 

$$$

“Come on, Kaela...” Nawoon called you out from outside your door and in your hurry, you almost tripped when your foot hit the dresser leg and it hurts like hell. 
“Ouch!” You groaned in pain. You just got home and they told you to get dressed really quick because Suri is going to conduct a meeting. Frowning all the ways to the dinning table, you showed them your leg. “See? Thanks.”
Your mom shook her head. “Come sit here beside me honey.” She tapped the seat beside her. Rolling your eyes to Nawoon and Yunsoo who are smirking at you, you sat beside your mother and later on realized the pile of paper and folders on the table. 
“You can start now Suri-yah.” Your mom told the manager who nodded in agreement.
“So today, I attended a meeting.” Suri started. She said the meeting was all about the product endorsement deals and interview appearances you’ll have to do. “Ivy Club photo shoot for their spring-summer catalogue will be on Friday. They’re just going to make you wear uniforms.” Suri handed you a folder of the pictures of clothes you’re going to wear including a copy of the contract. “Here’s a proposed Lotte Milkis CF deal.” She handed you another one. “You have a magazine cover deal for Nylon and High Cut May issue.” 
“Oh? The same month?” Yunsoo asked wondering. 
“They want to sell the pancake while it’s still hot.” Suri humored. “Kpop Star Radio tour will also start two weeks from now. Contestants are also going to appear on Star King.” Then she looked at you. “Did you know that Sungjin signed with YG?” 
Hearing that reminded you of your original goal when you joined Kpop Star. “Good for him. That’s what he wanted.” 
“You’ve never really told us why you chose SM suddenly when everyone expected you to choose YG.” Nawoon said. 
“Boa-unnie and Taeyeon-unnie convinced me.” That much you can say. You’ve also said that much to your family. 
Suri probably noticed that you’re not comfortable so she proceeded with the meeting. “Also, next month we’re going to start working on your album. They have discussed the genre you proposed.” She said and your heart skipped a beat. 
“What genre, unnie?” You asked with much anticipation and anxiousness. “I’m seriously going to be so depressed if it’s a dancy pop.” 
Yunsoo and Nawoon laughed, joking that they could actually imagine you being the new 9th member of SNSD or Red Velvet’s 6th. 
“It’s pop rock.” That made you squeal in delight. 
“Yes! Oh thank god!” You uttered a sigh of relief. 

------

 

A/N: So this chapter is more of a plot-moving chapter. Nothing much yet. I'm trying to show Kaela's character and the depth of her angst about love and boys. I also want to develop Jongin and Kaela's relationship slowly because since Kaela is a man-hater and Jongin is too shy, I can't fast forward their relationship. Thank you for following this story, I will try my very best to update as soon as possible.