Chapter Four

Heartstrings

Chapter Four

            After Psychology was over Mark rushed from the room. Jaebum had been staring at him the whole time and it was freaking Mark out. He understood that was really special for some people but for Mark it wasn’t or at least not that particular incident. Mark thought he was home free until he felt a hand on his shoulder and he did not have to turn around to know who it was.

            “What do you want Jaebum? I get it we had now go away. Every time I look at you I just see…well you know that  and I am at school now in the world of the living dead so please tell me what your deal is so I can go eat ty school food in peace!” Mark huffed out, completely drained from the whole situation.

            “I was just gonna ask if you were okay? You seem kinda off today.” Jaebum admitted, cocking his head to the side, confused as to why Mark was acting so weird.

            “I’m not some love sick girl Jaebum, I’m not going to cry if you don’t call me about it or whatever, if anything I want to forget it ever happened.” Mark said continuing his way towards the cafeteria.

            “But you are a love sick girl, just not for me.” Jaebum said following Mark to the cafeteria.

            “Oh yea well please be my guest, who exactly am I lovesick for?” Mark asked, stopping his steps, making Jaebum bump into him a bit not expecting the sudden halt of movement. Laughing a bit Jaebum pointed to a lunch table and said him. Sure enough Jaebum was pointing at Mark’s usual lunch table where Jackson was sitting with Mei-Rin. Suddenly Mark lost his appetite.

            “You think I’m in love with Jackson? My best friend Jackson whom has a girlfriend?” Mark asked, slight hysteria in his voice. How the hell had Jaebum found out. Mark’s life motto for weeks was conceal don’t feel.

            “I don’t think Mark I know. It makes sense, the way you stare at him when he isn’t looking. Or the way you got piss-drunk at my party yesterday all because he kissed Mei-Rin. I mean I know I was used by you to forget about Jackson and trust me I don’t mind at all, with you was actually fun.”
            “Shut up! Don’t say it out loud idiot.” Mark said slapping his hand over the taller boy’s mouth. Jaebum just chuckled and removed Mark’s hand.

            “Oh look Jackson’s waving us over, let’s go say hi to your boyfriend,” Jaebum said grabbing ahold of Mark’s wrist and pulling him to the lunch table.

            To say Mark was pissed would be an understatement, the boy was livid. Not only did Jackson ask Jaebum to sit with them, but Mei-Rin was practically flaunting how much she got to touch Jackson. Okay he got it, you took the love of his life no biggie. Mark tried to bear through the lunch but he yelped and smacked his knee on the lunch table, earning a few stares when he felt Jaebum’s hand land on his thigh.

            “You okay there Mark?” Jackson asked, concern causing Jackson to have the cutest puppy dog face.

            “Peachy,” Mark said pushing Jaebum’s hand away.

            “I didn’t know you two were so close,” Jackson said, pointing a French fry at Mark and Jaebum before taking a bite. “I know most of Mark’s friends and he’s never mentioned knowing you, that’s pretty ed up Mark,” Jackson said before feeding Mei-Rin a fry.

            “We’re new friends, I met him at my party and I don’t know we just clicked.” Jaebum said smiling at Jackson. “We’re actually going to the movies together, so that we can get to know each other a bit better.” Jaebum said. What…when had Mark agreed to this? Mark was about to say no when Mei-Rin smiled wide and said, “We should double up! Jackson and I were trying to figure out what our first date should be and the movies sounds like an awesome idea. Me and Jackson, you and Mark.”

            “I don’t know Mei, Mark doesn’t really like movies all that much.” Jackson said, confused about Jaebum’s declaration. Mark had always hated movies, said he couldn’t stand to sit for hours in a dark room with strangers.

            “N…No I wanna go with Jaebum. It’ll be fun, right Jaebum?” Mark said gripping the football player’s leg extra hard. 

            Jaebum simply nodded and said, “Yea loads of fun, we can go before the kick back.”

            “Perfect oh what a wonderful idea!” Mei-Rin said kissing Jackson on the cheek. Jackson smiled at the girl before wrapping his arm around her. They looked happy…and it made Mark sick.

            “I…I forgot something!” Mark said suddenly, standing up quickly and saying, “I’ll see you guys later okay,”  

            Mark took off, running away from the cafeteria and pushing the door open into the male bathroom. Mark made it just in time to the handicap stall before sliding to the ground. Tears streamed down his face as he wrapped his arms around his legs. This wasn’t fair, Mark wanted nothing more for his best friend to be happy, but his best friend was also hurting him in the worse way. Jackson was breaking Mark’s heart and he didn’t even realize it. Mark was a fool to love Jackson and he was an even bigger fool to not have confessed to the boy. Mark felt completely miserable, just how much more could he take before his heart finally broke into pieces?