Nine

Beside You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Glasses tilting forward on his nose, Junhyung read through the proposed contract carefully.
His right hand was busy scribbling notes at the side, marking down the areas where he wants things to be edited or cancelled. 
Just as he was about to flip to the next page, he heard an urgent knocking of his door and before he could give any word of acknowledgement, Kikwang's head had already popped into his office.

Cursing slightly at the disturbance, he growled, "Kikwang ah, I told you not to disturb me for the next hour didn't I?"

"Mr Yong, this is serious. It's about Yoseob."

Lifting an eyebrow slightly, his heart started to quicken a little, "What is it?"

"Yoseob met Miss Gayoon for breakfast today and they were on their way to the office, in Yoseob's car.
However, their car crashed into a construction site."

"What?!" Junhyung exclaimed as he stood up and walked towards Kikwang hastily.

"Miss Gayoon was found, unconscious in the car. She has been sent to the hospital and is being treated right now."

"What about Yoseob?" Junhyung asked, eyeing Kikwang suspiciously as he was certain that Kikwang would know better than to report about Gayoon first instead of Yoseob.

Kikwang averted eye contact and looked down onto the ground as he mumbled softly. 
Junhyung's heartbeat was racing so quickly that he could feel all the blood rushing to his head, and the dizziness overwhelming him. 

"Speak up!" He bellowed at Kikwang impatiently.

The shorter male looked up, his eyes filled with tears, "Yoseob is nowhere to be found. Only his blood was found on Miss Gayoon."

Junhyung stumbled backwards, and collapsed to the couch, his heart coming to a complete standstill.
The blood that ran through his veins was ice cold and his chest started heaving as his body attempted to regulate his breathing.

"Mr Yong, you have to stay strong. Let's go to the hospital and get more information from Miss Gayoon." Kikwang's voice was laced with constrained worry and sadness.
In the few days that he had interacted with Yoseob, Yoseob had always been a real friend, a kind man to him and now that he was missing, Kikwang was exceedingly alarmed. However, he wanted to remain calm because he knew that anxiety would not help the situation at all.

Junhyung could only nod weakly as Kikwang helped him up and supported him to his car. 
As Kikwang drove, thoughts ran through his head. 
He had a strong feeling that Yoseob's disappearance was linked to all the strange happenings in the past week. 
Furthermore, Yoseob had said that he was going to confront Gayoon and then the accident happened. 
It was all too coincidental, all too connected. 

"Doojoon, Yoseob's missing. I'll explain more later. Meet me at the town's hospital now. I'll reach in about 15, so you might need to wait since you're nearer." 

Kikwang took a sideward glance at Junhyung who was now keeping his phone back into the pocket.
He wanted to assure his boss that everything was going to be fine, he wanted to give him a pat on the back to give him some moral support.
But the anguish that flooded his boss' eyes were so intense that Kikwang felt that whatever he said was going to be pointless so he decided to stay quiet.
He decided to give his boss the silence and space that he obviously needs.
The confident man who often sat and walk straightly with an air of class and leadership, who often spoke and command with much pride and gusto..
He now sat on the passenger's seat of his own car, back slumped depressingly, eyes darting around nervously, hands trembling with fear.
Kikwang couldn't imagine what would happen if he told Junhyung about the threats that Yoseob was receiving. 

When they reached the hospital's carpark, Junhyung was already out of the car and running towards the entrance.
As the entrance doors' opened, a handsome man was standing there, seemingly waiting for Junhyung and he patted Junhyung's back on the shoulder before following him towards Gayoon's ward.

The silence that filled the lift was roaring as the three men waited for it to reach the fifth floor.
The doors weren't even fully opened but Junhyung had already squeezed out of them the moment there was a small gap.
After what seemed like ages of running around, they finally reached Gayoon's ward.
When inside, Kikwang saw how she lay on the bed, staring blankly into the ceiling, tears falling from her eyes silently. 
She looked so broken, so depressed that he wondered, 'could she really be the one who made those threats?'

"Gayoon, how are you?" Junhyung asked softly. He wanted to ask about Yoseob but looking at the weak girl, he knew that what she went through wasn't easy either.

The injured lady wiped away her tears as she pushed herself up until she was sitting on her bed.
"I'm fine," she whispered brokenly, "Thanks to Yoseob oppa." 

"Could you tell me what happened? And where is he?"

Strangely, Gayoon shook her head, gathered her knees to her chest as the tears st

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter