Twelve

Beside You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

He collapsed in front of the operation theatre to his knees and stared at the closed doors that separated him from Yoseob. 
There was a commotion going on behind him but he wasn't interested at all.
All he wanted was for the door to open, for the doctor to come out with good news, for the nurses to wheel Yoseob out, back to him once again. 

"Woohyun, tell us what exactly is going on right now!" Kikwang had grabbed Woohyun by the collars and was shaking him roughly, demanding an answer. 

"He...he fainted before I could release him. The doctor said he was fine after the car crash as the injuries were superficial.. 
But because I delayed him from receiving treatment, his wound got inflammed and.. and his blood pressure has became so low and his heart struggles to pump blood through his whole body.. The doctor said he would do whatever he can but we should prepare for the worst. Kikwang ah.. I can't live if he dies.. I can't..."

"You should have thought about that before you did something so stupid!" Doojoon roared before punching Woohyun squarely in the face. 

Instead of reacting or fighting back, Woohyun lay weakly on the hospital floor and sobbed silently. 

Gayoon approached the despairing back of Junhyung and slowly lowered herself to kneel beside him. 
Raising her hand slightly, she comfortingly patted Junhyung's back and whispered, "he will make it through." 
She really wanted to cry and to have someone reassuring her that Yoseob would be fine, that everything will be as how they used to be before the car accident.
How terrible she felt, she could only wonder how much worse, how much more intensed would this horrid feeling be like for Junhyung.

As she peeked a look at him, her heart clenched tightly when she saw the empty, souless eyes that had replaced Junhyung's once bright and expressive eyes. 
A tear escaped from her eyes as she choked on her words, words that she hoped could bring some comfort to him, no matter how small and slight.
Before she could force the words out of , a hushed voice rang loudly across the area outside the operation theatre.

"Right till the end, right before he fainted... He said that his heart was with you and any attempt to remove it was as good as ripping it apart." 

Junhyung turned his head towards Woohyun, the movement was so small that Gayoon wondered if he really did or if she had imagined it. 

"He said that he had tried leaving you so many times before. 
He said that it was terrible trying to control his feelings while being under the same roof as you.
He said that it tore him everytime you go on dates.
But he said that everytime he left, he would still return because he could not stand the thought of him not being there beside you, being there for you.
He said that..."

"That he would wonder if I was eating well because I am such a terrible cook.
That he would wonder if I was lonely without him by my side.
That he would miss laughing or arguing with me.
That he would constantly think of what I was doing, where I was."

Junhyung added in a soft, trembling voice. He knew, he knew how Yoseob felt and what Yoseob felt.
Yoseob had always nagged at him whenever he made a mess in the kitchen.
Yoseob had always complained at him whenever he asked him to travel down from his office to meet him for lunch because he didn't like to eat alone.
Yoseob had always laughed at Junhyung's silliness and argued with him when he was being unreasonable or throwing a tantrum for nothing.
Yoseob had always said he would not miss Junhyung when he went on overseas trips but everynight, they never fail to talk on the phone and Junhyung notices that most of the time, Yoseob was the one calling first. 

Gayoon could no longer hold back her tears as she watched Junhyung struggle to speak. 
Doojoon and Kikwang could not even keep their eyes on Junhyung as they leaned against the walls and looked to the lights, blinking furiously and willing themselves not to shed any tears.

Woohyun stuttered and feebly sat up as he watched the man that was evidently in so much hurt and so much pain.
He had wished for this, he had wanted for Yong Jun Hyung to suffer much more than he had for the years he pinned for Yoseob.
He should be feeling a sense of euphoria from watching Yong Jun Hyung being so crushed and so subdued.
Yet, he only felt guilt. Was it because of how Yoseob had so graciously forgiven him?
Or was it because what he went through looked like nothing compaerd to the pain that Junhyung looked like he was going through now?

"...How did you know...?"

This time, Junhyung undoubtedly turned his head more towards him and gave a smile so sad that Woohyun's eyes burned with the forming tears. 

"Because he's right. I would not eat well, I would feel terribly lonely, I would be bored... I wouldn't be me.
I need him by my side, I always did and I always had. I can't even remember my past days without Yoseob because ever since he entered life, he became part of me."

"Don't you hate me? Why are you behaving so calmly towards me?"

Junhyung lowered his head and murmured, "because if I did anything untowards you, Yoseob would feel sad. He had forgiven you and if he could forgive you despite suffering so much, who am I to continue hating, to continue being angry?" 

"And you're right. My Seobie would have been proud of the man he love."

Junhyung's neck almost snapped as he looked up so quickly at the new voice. 
A voice that he had not heard for more than a year, a voice that he had hoped to hear so much.

"Eomonim..! Since...when?"

"Since last night... the nurses said they couldn't contact Seobie at all till today and when I suggested for them to call you, they said you had told them you were on your way here already. I assumed you were here to visit me so I went to the lobby to wait...You and your friends rushed by me and so I followed.."

"I thought the nurses called me for Yoseob.. I'm sorry eomonim.. I'm sorry I didn't---"

"Of course you would think of Seobie first, don't be sorry. Now, don't hurt your knees any further. Get up and sit with me here on the bench. 
I just woke up from a really long coma, I shouldn't even be out of bed so don't make me stand too long."

Junhyung stood up so quickly that he felt the blood rushed to his head but he still hurried over to help Yoseob's mother over to the bench and sat beside her. 

Woohyun also rose to his feet and he walked towards them before kneeling in front of them, his head bowed so low that even his back was hunched.
"I'm Woohyun. The culprit who harmed your son. I'm sorry madam, I really am. Please hit me if you feel like it."

"Do you want me to fall into a coma again?"

"What!? No! I didn't say that!" 

"Then don't ask me to hit you. I am not supposed to exert any strength."

Woohyun gaped wordlessly at Yoseob's mother, not knowing how to respond to the woman who sits so calmly with a small smile on her face despite her son being in the operation theatre.

Heaving a small sigh, Yoseob's mother patted Woohyun's head lightly, "I wish my Seobie is fine. I missed him so much and I really want to celebrate my birthday with him. You made a mistake but then again, who doesn't? It's just that the consequences of your mistake is harsher than others but if Seobie, who is at the receiving end of your mistake, forgives you, I'm sure he believes that it really isn't your fault. And I trust Seobie more than anyone else. He always has a knack of seeing the best of people and be right about it." At her last sentence, she gave a cheeky wink to Junhyung who couldn't help but break into a grin.

The lightened atmosphere was ruined as the lights of the operation theatre that signalled an operation in progress was switched off. 
Junhyung stood up from his seat just as the doctor exited from the doors.

"How is he?" He bravely asked as he noted the doctor's grim face. 

The doctor sensed the plea and breathed deeply as he tried to phrase what he was going to say without hurting the desperate man that stood infront of him, mentally cursing this part of his job. 

"He had lost a lot of blood but we managed to get him in time for blood transfusion.. but..."

"But?"

"He's in a com

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter