Four

Beside You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was Saturday morning and Yoseob lay on his bed, his mind churning furiously as he was thinking about his life.
Friday afternoon had passed pretty uneventfully after the morning's happenings. But at night, it was a different story.
He had forced Junhyung to have dinner with Gayoon and for the second night in a row, Junhyung did not return before 9.
In fact, he had not return at all.

However, this time, Junhyung had called Yoseob, informing him that he would be staying at Gayoon's place.
It was the first person that had Junhyung not coming home. 
Yoseob had released a large amount of tears and sobbed himself to sleep.
He scolded himself for being stupid, for even crying.
He was the one who had pushed Junhyung to Gayoon, he was the one who had wanted Junhyung to find the right girl for himself.
And yet, he was the one who was crying when he is watching it unfold. 

His phone rang and he glanced at his clock, realising that it was only 8 in the morning, before picking up the phone call.

"Hello?"

"Hey..."

"What's up? Why are you calling so early?" Although he asked, he really didn't want to know.
Yoseob did not want to know what was Junhyung's plan, he did not want to know what Junhyung wanted.

"Could you help me get a et of clothes and send it to Gayoon's place? We're heading out for lunch in awhile and she doesn't have clothes that fit."

"Sure, just message me the address!" He replied, a little too cheerfully and he hung up really quickly, afraid that the fresh new wave of sobs that emerged from the back of his throat would be heard by Junhyung. 

As hot tears rushed down his face, he got up and headed to Junhyung's room, packing a set of clothes for him. 
He knew he had to give it to Junhyung fast and couldn't waste any time crying around.
As he prepared himself to set out of home, he wiped away his tears, smiling sadly to himself while realising that this was the first time Yoseob had so easily agreed to helping Junhyung pick something up from home. 
He had always waited for Junhyung to beg him a little more but this time, he didn't want to hear it.
He didn't want to hear Junhyung begging him for the sake of Gayoon.
There was only so much his heart could take.

Practising calming breathing techniques as he drove to Gayoon's place, he reasoned to himself as logically as he could be.
That he should have expected this.
That with Junhyung searching hard for true love, he was bound to find it soon enough.
That he should have been prepared for this.
That with Junhyung's parents wanting a grandchild, they were bound to have one soon enough.
That he should have anticipated this.
That with Junhyung being a male, he was bound to find another female.
 
As he placed the bag of clothes at Gayoon's door step and messaged Junhyung that the clothes were delivered, he sat in his car, wondering where should he drive to next.
He received a message and upon opening it, the dam of tears was opened once again.

"Thanks, you're really my best friend!" 

And so he drove, towards the familiar expressway, towards the familiar road, towards the familiar path, towards the familiar hospital.
Except, this time, he was alone. 

He ran the moment he stepped out of his car. He ran and ran and ran until he reached his mother's side and he wept.

"Mum, I expected it. I prepared for it. I anticipated it. But I realised I cannot do the one thing that is the important thing to do.
I cannot accept it. It hurts, it hurts so much.
I want to feel happy for him. I want to wish the best for him. I want to be able to share his joy. But I cannot.
Why am I so selfish? Why am I such a terrible terrible friend?
He has done so much for me and I can't even do something as simple as being happy for him.
I'm such a bad person. I must be really evil for being so upset about him finally finding his happiness.
Mum, can you please wake up for your selfish son? Please, I need someone. I need you."

Pearl sized tear drops fell onto his mother's hands as he wept into them. 
His sobs coming out harshly as he panted from the sheer exhaustion of crying so hard. 
His heart hurts so much that he thought that he would faint from the pain but he didn't.
The worst thing was, he wanted to. He wanted to lose consciousness, he wanted to not be able to feel the pain.
He wanted to tear the pain away, he wanted to tear his heart away.
But just like how he knew he couldn't have Junhyung, he also knew he couldn't remove this pain.

Hours passed as he had fallen asleep in a sitting position on his mother's bed. 
He awoke to an aching back, and an aching heart from remembering what had happened. 
Not wanting to return to an empty home, he reached for his phone and made a call to other close friend, Doojoon.

"What's up?"

"Can I come for dinner?"

"Since when would you ask? Come! Should I tell the crew to start preparing you and Junhyung's favourite item now?"

Doojoon did not receive any reply and after five seconds of silence, he was about to ask if Yoseob was still on the line when he heard a strangled voice.
"Just mine, will do." 

"Yoseob, what happened? Are you crying?" 

Yoseob bit hard on his fist as he tried to hold back his sobs, "I'm fine, Doojoon ah."

"No you're not. Where are you now? I can pick you up."

"It's fine. I drove. I'll be there in abit, I'm in the hospital now."

"Alone?" Doojoon was extremely worried now because he knew that Yoseob never went to the hospital alone. 

"I'll be there soon," and that was all Yoseob replied before hanging up the phone. 
He could not speak anymore as a new bout of tears overwhelmed him. 
Kissing his mother on the cheek lovingly as a form of goodbye, he walked out of the hospital trying his best to calm himself. 

Doojoon stared at his quiet phone and returned to his senses after an intense ten seconds. 
Looking at the clock, it was 4.00PM so the place was empty after the lunch crowd had dispersed. 
He went into the kitchen, gathering his service crew with him and announced grimly, "I'm closing the restaurant early today. You all will still be paid but you may go home now. Thank you for the day."

Everyone stared at their boss weirdly but hearing the seriousness in his tone, they simply nodded their head and started packing up. 
Doojoon then went to his office in the kitchen, grabbed something and went to the restroom.
When he emerged, he was in his chef attire, something that he have not been wearing for quite awhile.

As he stared at the empty kitchen, he placed a finger thoughtfully on his right temple and wondered...

"What food would ch

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter