Chapter Four

Lamia Febris

Chapter Four

Two weeks after adjusting to his new life Jungkook started to become restless. He only slightly started to trust his Uncle considering he gave him a roof to sleep under and the blood to keep him from going crazed. Blood, he couldn’t believe that he’d started becoming what he’d saw on the computer. Jungkook spent mostly all of his time in the guest room looking up at the dark ceiling contemplating whether to go on to the next day or end it all right there and then. His family, gone, his home, gone, his reputation made off of the tragic accident. Everything that was normal was no longer existent and now everyone in the news wants to know where he is, what he’s doing, what he’s going to do. Jungkook has barely even recovered himself enough to think of what to do next. Whether to jump up and out the window or stay put living off of his uncle until he fathoms a plan.

As Jungkook was laying down on his back looking up at the dark ceiling drawing imaginary images with his eye Yoongi knocked on the door opening it slightly.

“Hey can I come in?” he said opening the door more. Jungkook only moved his eyes to his uncle then moving them back up to stare at the ceiling.

“So I think that it’s time for you to get out,” he said going over to the bed sitting at the edge of it.  Jungkook looked at his Uncle at the word “out.”

“When I say out I mean school.” Jungkook’s head turned at the word school. His uncle wanted him to see other people? In this state? With one red eye?

“I know that you may think you’re not ready but you can’t stay in this room and stare up at the ceiling for the rest of your life,” and at that Jungkook repositioned his eyes to the ceiling breathing deeply.

“Jungkook you’re still young, and I don’t think your parents would want you to bum around the rest of your life not doing anything.

“You don’t know that the hell my parents would want,” he whispered sharply under his breath. Yoongi looked down at the floor and tightened his jaw.

“You’re going to school tomorrow Jungkook. You need to get through this as if you’re ok. There will be people tomorrow that will look at you like you’re a ghost. There will be people who will look at you like you’re a monster. The only thing to do is keep your head straight, pay them no mind, and do what you’re supposed to do at school which is study.” He looked over at Jungkook for a response which he didn’t get.

“You’ll get up with me tomorrow at 6:30 and because I’m the principle we’ll be there a bit early.” Yoongi got up and walked towards the door.

“I’ll leave your uniform on the top of this dresser tomorrow morning, it’ll be your alarm. I’ve already packed your lunch so grab it from the refrigerator before we leave.” Jungkook looked towards Yoongi as he paused in the doorway.

“I’m sorry of what happened Jungkook, but you’re a strong kid. The fact that you survived that accident alone proves that much,” he said looking up at him, “so I’m not going to pity you. You’ll get through this and I’ll be here every step of the way. But in the end it’s up to you to make yourself take that step again, I can’t force you to do it.” Yoongi looked at Jungkook for a moment and walked out the door. Tomorrow was Jungkook’s first day of war, with the rest of the world.

                                                                        Lamia Febris

When Yoongi and Jungkook were on their way to school no words were exchanged. Yoongi felt more nervous for Jungkook than anything not really knowing how the school would interpret his nephew. Jungkook on the other hand had replayed what Yoongi had said to him last night. That he was strong and he was the only person that could move forward when it came down to it. He believed his uncle, it made him understand him a little more because he was right. Jungkook was the only person that can control his reaction. He was the one that would be targeted by the rumors and the stares, and the best way to fight that off would be to ignore them, act as if they didn’t exist. If you don’t react then they’ll have nothing to feed off of. That much his dad had taught him.

They arrived at the school about 6:50 and Jungkook waited in his uncle’s office until he saw the other students coming into the school through the window.

“Now, don’t be nervous. If anything happens, if anyone bothers you let me know and come straight to me,” said Yoongi staring at Jungkook moving back in forth between his red and normal eye. Yoongi didn’t look at Jungkook like a monster, he looked at him as if he was his own son. Jungkook looked at Yoongi and nodded. Yoongi patted Jungkook’s shoulder and although he didn’t pull back he did stiffen. Jungkook didn’t fully trust Yoongi but right now, he was all he got.

After Jungkook was given directions to his class he stopped in front of the door and took in a deep breath. He knocked on the door and slid it open. He looked straight at the teacher and bowed not paying any attention to the small gasp and heavy stares of the other students.

“Isn’t that the guy from the accident? What is he doing here? Why haven’t the police been able to find him?” he heard the peanut gallery whisper amongst each other.

He tightened his jaw trying to practice building up that wall and walked over to the teacher. The teacher was a man and as soon as they made eye contact the teacher actually smiled. There was no type of surprised or disgust in the man’s face, just a genuine smile. It was an unpredicted reaction but Jungkook walked over nonetheless.

“You must be the new student Jungkook is that right?” he said smiling straight into Jungkook’s eyes.  Jungkook didn’t say anything nodding to the question as his response.

“Your uncle told me that you don’t speak much because of the accident is that correct?” Jungkook nodded again. The teacher smiled.

“Well that’s perfectly fine and understandable. My name is Namjoon, Kim Namjoon. You can call me whichever, I like to keep the environment between student and teacher relaxed. So call me which you prefer,” he said reaching out to shake Jungkook’s hand. Jungkook looked down and hesitantly took Mr. Kim’s hand. He shook it and felt the almost ice skin from the man. Mr. Kim smiled at Jungkook and turned to the class.

“Everyone give your greetings to Jungkook. And as you all know, yes, he is the boy from the accident and because of that he doesn’t speak much. Don’t force him, welcome him warmly and help him through the year ok?” he said smiling at the class. As the class was responding with a yes Jungkook turned to them revealing his whole profile. He was then greeted with gasps and short breaths.

“Why is his eye like that? What happened? It must be because of the accident? Did the doctors not do their job?’ were the words exchanged throughout the room. Jungkook tightened his jaw and bowed to the class.

“You can go sit in the desk in the back by the window,” said Mr. Kim gesturing his hand in the direction. Jungkook nodded and walked passed the heavy scared and curious stares. He sat down in the almost isolated desk. Great, he’s even more ostracized than he thought he’d be but at least he had the window to distract him. His view was of the baseball field and behind that was the city. It wasn’t a bad view besides the tree that he had to look through to see all of that. Jungkook took a deep breath still feeling the whole class look back at his existence. He tightened his jaw and looked straight towards the board not intercepting any of the other student’s eyes.