Chapter Seventeen

Lamia Febris

Chapter Seventeen

Jungkook watched as Jimin typed away at his key board, the sound of his heavy typing the only audible sound in the room, aside from Jimin’s heartbeat which was pounding in Jungkook’s ear. Jimin was nervous…what exactly happened to that student in the room. Perhaps it wasn’t what it seemed? Maybe they were releasing the student, Jungkook could only hope. 

“O…okay I think I’ve found the hidden file but it needs to be decoded first. It looks like there’s some type of password on it.” Jimin said, his eyes never leaving the screen, his skin illuminated by the harsh computer light. 

“Will you be able to crack it?” Jungkook asked, pacing the room. His skin was crawling with tension, he needed this to work so that they could figure out their next move.

“Well yea, but I don’t know how long it will take. This password seems a bit advanced for the common school security camera, even if this school has vampires. The most we can do is let my password cracking program do it’s job for now…but that’s gonna take a few hours or so.” Jimin said, clicking a few more buttons. 

“I don’t have a few more hours, my uncle can’t find out about this. I’ll need to make it back home before he does Jimin.” Jungkook said, finally deciding to take a seat next to his friend and just dig his fingers into his knees to ground himself. 

“Don’t worry, I have an alarm on my phone that will tell me when school is about to end. You’ll be able to make it back home in no time…now we should totally entertain ourselves with something hilarious because everything I’ve seen in the past couple of hours has been nothing but doom and gloom and blood. I need a good laugh.” Jimin said sighing, finally turning to smile at his friend. Although the boy was smiling Jungkook could tell it was forced. Jimin was trying to put on a good front but he smelt like fear and that was not helping Jungkook’s situation at all. He was at war with his own body and he needed to find some control.

“Yea…maybe a good laugh would help us both out, What did you have in mind?” 

“Well, I can’t see the secret files yet but the normal files on the camera are still there, wanna listen to the juicy gossip what goes down in the student council room?” 

“Seriously, that’s your idea of a good laugh?” Jungkook asked but Jimin ignored Jungkook’s sarcastic tone and started to open up the video feed. 

“Please reality television is pure gold and anyone who says otherwise has no taste. Now shh it’s about to come on.” Jimin said reaching in his drawer to pull out some Red licorice candy. He moved his hand out in offering to give Jungkook a piece but the boy just raised his eye brow as he released his fangs from his jaw, the silent, “I’m a vampire?” not needing to be said. Jimin just shrugged his shoulders and shoved the piece of candy into his mouth, half of the string of candy dangling from his plump lips. 

Jungkook focused on the screen and watched as students came and went, talking about who was dating who, what they should eat for lunch and a bunch of other useless pieces of information but Jimin seemed entertained by the students, claiming that it was like they were spies once more before shoving more candy into his mouth. 

Jungkook was about to move elsewhere when he heard his name being mentioned. Jimin noticed it as well and tried to zoom in to see who was talking and staring there in the middle of the room was Taehyung and Kai, the kind boy from earlier. 

“That kid needs to get the out of here!” Taehyung yelled at Kai, who was seated on top of a desk looking at Taehyung, his elbow perched on top of his knee as he watched the boy with disinterest. 

“Come on now Taehyung you pushed him over the railing, anyone would be upset about that. If anything you need to say sorry for giving the boy such a hard time, he hadn’t done anything wrong to you up until that point.” Kai said, which made sense but Jungkook didn’t blame Taehyung for not saying sorry and hating his guts, he had nearly killed the boy. 

“Say sorry, have you gone mental? All that senior power mess up your brain? He nearly killed me, look at what he did!” Taehyung yelled, pulling the collar of his shirt to the side so that Kai could see the meaty scar left by Jungkook’s large fangs. 

Jungkook tried to ignore Jimin’s audible gasp but it was hard to with the smell of his fear and some other strange scent coming from Jimin. It smelt warm almost, it resembled cinnamon in a way. What did that mean? 

“Yes that’s unfortunate but it will heal after time, not that it will help with your appearance any. Look it would be in your best interest to stay away from Jungkook, he’s not only a new vampire but he’s unstable and while he might not look it on first glance the boy is dangerous. You know that better than anyone now. It’s best to observe the boy from a distance for now, and it would be best if you told your trouble making friends to stay away from him as well.” 

“Please, I’ll do whatever I want. That kid earned himself a one way ticket to hell because of what he did to me and I’ll be sure to give anyone who want’s to get in my way of revenge a harsh lesson if need be, including you.” Taehyung said but Kai simply laughed at the boy, standing up to brush some imaginary dirt from his pants. 

“I’m sure you’ll do something idiotic and while it amuses me to see you fail miserably I can’t allow you mess with the students of this school. Jungkook could lash out at anyone if you piss him off so think twice before you plan on pushing the boy. You’re just lucky I was there to help handle the situation.” Kai said walking to the door way, pausing to say, 

“Oh and Taehyung, don’t act as if you could beat me in a fight. I know you’re stupid but come now, have some self respect.” Kai said before leaving. 

Jimin turned the feed off to look at Jungkook who had hot tears sliding down his face. He knew he had hurt the boy…he knew that people where scared of him but he had thought that maybe it wasn’t so bad. He supposed optimism was no longer his friend.  

“Woah…that’s kinda freaky.” Jimin said staring at Jungkook’s face. Jungkook wiped the back of his hand over his cheeks and saw blood smeared on them. Oh yea, he forgot about that part. 

“You probably think I’m some sort of animal like everyone else huh?” Jungkook asked, grabbing the tissue that Jimin passed to him to clean up his face. 

“No not necessarily but you have to admit you are a bit freaky, but in a good way! You’re unique and that’s pretty awesome. Don’t worry about what those two said because they don’t know you. You’re stronger than your impulses, well I mean you could be with time. I can maybe look up ways on how to make being a vampire easier for you. I’ll call it, ‘Jimin’s how to be a vampire for dummies’.” Jimin said smiling at Jungkook and while Jungkook didn’t necessarily feel all that great about the situation he was happy to have Jimin there. Optimism might have died for Jungkook but at least Jimin had it, and maybe just maybe it could be enough for the both of them.