Prologue/Chapter One

Lamia Febris

Prologue

            In the year 2015 the vampires of the world decided to stop hiding, new medicine discovered allowed them to finally defeat their main enemy the sun. It was then that the vampires of the world started an all-out war against the humans nearly eradicating each other. In order to stop the war the highest elders of the vampire community called the Elite came together in 2034 with the world powers and signed the VTP, or vampire treaty pack. This called that vampires would no longer have to hide from humans if they regulated their feeding. Attacking humans was also strictly against the law and was punishable by death. Humans also were not allowed to discriminate against the vampires and any human that did was charged a fine for their injustice. Humans were also not allowed to kill vampires unless they were defending their lives, any illegal murder of a vampire was punishable by jail time or death. Now in 2047 only thirteen years later tension is still high between the vampires and humans, and everyone’s question is can they truly live in peace, or is war their only option.

Chapter One

Jungkook sighed and watched his breath fog up the window. He looked at his two parents who were arguing with each other. They were on their way to visit his uncle Yoongi to check out the new school he’d just turned principle for. Jungkook never met his uncle before but his dad insisted that he met him once when he was a baby but of course he didn’t remember.

 It was snowing today and for some reason it felt off. The snow was drifting slowly onto the pavement casting a subtle shadow over the road. It looked like the snow made time go slower, almost like the calm before the snow. Jungkook looked out the window and looked ahead to the bridge that they were about to pass over. The water had almost completely frozen over, it was so pale and eerie. The river looked almost beautiful, the way it wore the snow like a pale white dress, like a haunting bride to be.  He leaned his head back on the seat and closed his eyes trying to channel out all of the voices of his parents, and then it happened.

His back was the first thing to arch forward as his head followed. His eyes flashed open and all he saw was the front window’s glass shattering and mimicking the falling snow flakes outside of the car. His father’s hands flying up in front of his face as his mother crouched to the side trying to block her own body.

In front of the car Jungkook could only see that they were smashed into the bridges wall, he couldn’t focus. He felt a sharp pain go up his ribcage as he smacked his head onto the side window. Everything went black. Jungkook’s skin suddenly felt a sharp coldness coursing through his body starting from his fingertips. He opened up his eyes lightly vision blurring in and out. He could only make out the glass shards indented in his hands. He tried opening his eyes wider and tried moving tilting his head to see that the car was on the other side of the bridge. His mother hanging through the window like a towel over a hanging rack. His face scrunched in an emotional cry but it hurt to even move a face muscle. His father was nowhere to be found. There was blood seeping down his mother’s leg, dripping down the back of her calf and onto the seat that’d somehow broke out the car.

“Mom,” he tried to say, but his wind pipe was smashed on the impact, the word barely able to leave his lips.

Jungkook could hear the loud buzz of sirens coming towards the scene. Jungkook’s eyes opened and closed as clipped scenes of an ambulance neared him. The sirens felt like an alarm far away but his vision showed it was right next to the crashed car. His vision faded as the volume in his ears started to turn up.

“Two dead but this one’s still breathing,” he heard what he assumed was one of the EMT’s saying as they pulled his body up onto a stretcher.

“What’s the severity?” another voice said, female.

“Both are dead, the man is over the bridge and down in the river, our rescue team is going down to get his body. The mother was finished off by the glass from the window she’s dangling in.” Jungkook felt the pain in his temple spark as the man described his parent’s death. His chest felt like something was stabbing at his heart making it heavy and unbearable. Air was leaving his body and he felt himself getting colder and colder.

“We need to get him back to the hospital now he’s losing blood to fast,” said the woman. Jungkook’s ears were ringing at this point. His body felt like it was on fire with the muscle in his hip feeling like it was sliding off, ripping veins as it went. He wanted to yell out in pain but not even his voice could succumb to building the energy for a scream. Pain, red, death. The only things that Jungkook could see and feel.

The EMT’s lifted Jungkook’s dying body into the back of the ambulance. His eyes slowly opening to stare at the blinding light at the top of the ambulance slowly closing again.

“He’s awake! Get us there faster his breathing is getting slower,” he heard the man EMT say.

“Poor thing can probably feel everything,” he heard as the woman’s voice fading until his senses ceased.