Chapter Eight

Lamia Febris

When Jungkook woke up on a hard bed his eye was throbbing. When he opened them the first thing he saw were thick bars from both his left, right, and forward fields of visions. Was he in jail? He sat up quickly looking around to see an empty cell to his right, but a person in the cell too his left. He quickly ran over to the left side getting on his knees wrapping his hands around the thick metal bars.

“Where are we?” he asked the person who was in the farthest corner from Jungkook’s cage like containment.

“We’re in a cell. They put vampires down here when they lose control or are about too,” he said looking at Jungkook staring straight into his red eye. The guy wasn’t anyone he had seen before, he looked perfectly normal. Jungkook’s breath started to pick up as his brain registered the word “control.”

“Lose control?” he whispered. He shook his head in doubt and tried to figure out why he was down here. He didn’t lose control. The last thing he could remember was bumping and falling down on the floor because of that boy Taehyung. How did he get from there to here? At that moment he heard heavy footsteps coming from the far right. He looked through the bars of the other cells and saw his uncle walking towards his cage.

“Why am I in here?” Jungkook asked ending up right in front of his cell at the bars in a flash. When did he get over here so quickly? Jungkook looked down at his hands and feet trying to look for any bruises that Taehyung could possibly have given Jungkook, there were none. The only thing that hurt was his red eye.

“Because you bit Taehyungs neck splattering blood all over my god damn hallways making the students think you were some kind of monster we set loose,” said his uncle with an irritated and crescendo-ing voice. Jungkook blinked and stepped back at his uncle’s sudden anger. He didn’t understand what he did wrong. He didn’t understand what happened. Bit Taehyung’s neck? When did he do that? Jungkook shook his head in disbelief.

“No, no, no. I didn’t,” he said stepping back more. With that one step back his uncle reached in through the space of the bars pulling Jungkook’s face up to his.

“Learn to control yourself,” he growled with the rage building at his throat. Jungkook could feel the anger radiating off of his uncle. He was so shaken at the fact that his uncle would think he could do something like that. This man was the only person he had left and for the only person on this earth to not believe him made Jungkook’s stomach twist and eye throb. He straightened up mentally whipping the shock off of his face leaning into his uncle’s face through the bars.

“I said I didn’t do it,” Jungkook said emphasizing each word in a low growl. Yoongi’s nostrils flared and he looked Jungkook’s face up and down tossing the boy back letting his shirt go.

“Then how do you explain a bleeding student up in my nurse’s office,” he said pointing in the direction of the path he came from with one hand on his hip his chest rising and falling.

“I don’t know. I told you I didn’t do it. The only thing I remember is falling down across a ledge because one of the idiot students of yours want to outcast me because of this eye and my dead parents,” he said almost matching the yelling tone of his uncle. His uncle’s face changed and softened as he hand fell down to his side. Jungkook’s chest rose and fell quickly as his rage brewed in the back of his head. How could he be punished for something he doesn’t remember doing?

“Do you seriously not remember what happened, Jungkook?” he asked in a softer tone. Jungkook breathed deeply and nodded. Yoongi’s jaw tightened as he looked at Jungkook and let out an audible sigh rubbing his face with one hand, his other still on his hip.

“The senior president told me you two brawled it out until jumped Taehyung and bit his neck,” he said looking back up at Jungkook. Jungkook’s gaze didn’t waver. Taehyung probably deserved it after the crap he put Jungkook through.

“They said you drunk Taehyung’s blood Jungkook,” he said almost in a whisper. Jungkook’s eyes widened at the statement and he stepped back.

“What?” he whispered.

“You drank another student, a vampire’s, blood.” Yoongi looked at Jungkook. Jungkook’s mind didn’t know what to think. The fact that he drunk blood was already hard to handle, but another vampire’s blood? Jungkook shook his head and tried to remember what happened. But the time between when he fell and when he woke up in this bunker was covered with a red color, he couldn’t remember anything.

“I don’t remember any of that, I didn’t do that,” he said stepping back to his uncle.

“You did Jungkook, the bleeding student in the nurse’s office as well as the students that watched the fight, hell the whole school probably knows, and can vouch for you doing that.” He said shifting his posture running a hand through his hair. Jungkook’s heart sank. All he wanted on his first day was to blend in, he didn’t want any trouble, but look at where he was. In a jail cell.

“So, what happens now?” he whispered to his uncle not sure as to what was going to happen.

“The punishment for biting another student is expulsion,” said Yoongi heavily looking down the hallway then back at Jungkook.

“However, nurse Jin has claimed that he’d diagnosed you as “not ready” for school but let you come anyway, therefore this was bound to happen and the blame has landed on his shoulders,” continued his uncle.

“So what does that mean?” asked Jungkook.

“That means nothing will happen to you, that you won’t be punished,” he said taking out a key from his pocket and walking to the door of Jungkook’s cage unlocking it.

“What?” you heard the student you’d talked to earlier say under his breath. Yoongi walked over to the boys cell and unlocked the door as Jungkook opened his own.

“It’s time to go home, school is over,” He said walking passed Jungkook. Jungkook paused and looked at the other student who glared at him heavily. Just a few minutes ago the guy was hesitant towards Jungkook, now it looked like he wanted to kill him. The student stopped in front of Jungkook looking straight ahead.

“That’s bull,” he whispered and walked the path behind his uncle. Jungkook’s jaw tightened as he understood that even though the adults let him off the hook, the students wouldn’t.

 

                                                                                                                Lamia Febris

 

Jungkook and his uncle hadn’t spoken when they rode home together nor did they speak the next morning. He said nothing to his uncle as he’d told him to keep his eyes straight and to not start anything before he left for class. It wasn’t fair to Jungkook how he couldn’t remember anything. What he did notice though, was that his voice had returned, in its entirety. He could speak now and have a normal conversation if he wanted to, but he didn’t want anyone else to figure that out. There was no need for him to talk.

As he walked down the hallway he took in all the heavy glares and whispers coming from the general student population.

“He’s still here!” “Shouldn’t he have been expelled?” “He bit Taehyung yesterday,” “I heard he almost killed Taehyung,” “He’s dangerous why is he here?” “He should’ve been put in a real prison cell not the ones in the basement,” was everything he heard. Jungkook’s jaw tightened with every phrase making him tighten his grip on his backpack hanging off one shoulder. He kept his breathing in check and remembered that he does need to keep control or else more unnecessary scene will occur. As he turned into the hallway is class was in he saw three students shoulder to shoulder walking straight towards his direction.

“We thought you’d be crawling around this way,” said the one in the middle as they walked up towards him. He remembered that he was the guy that was with Taehyung yesterday. Jungkook tightened his jaw changing his direction to walk around the boys. The guy on the side behind him blocked Jungkook’s path. He stopped and took in a deep breath.

“Oh we just want to talk that’s all. We were surprised when Taehyung told us that they’d let you off the hook. No punishment for eating our friend huh? What has this world come to?” the guy said chuckling. “So we thought that we should repay the debt you know? All is fair in love and war,” he said grabbing Jungkook by the shoulder. Jungkook, without knowing how he could move so fast, took the boys hand and twisted his wrist down so that the boy’s body was facing away from Jungkook bending down to try and get out of the hook. The two guys look down at their mini-leader and were about to move onto Jungkook when he heard a booming voice from the end of the hall.

“Hey, that’s enough boys,” said Mr. Kim walking down towards the four of them. Jungkook quickly let go of the guys arm and watched Namjoon come towards them as he heard the guy moan and rub his shoulder.

“There’s no need to pick fights here, get back to class,” he said waving off the three Taehyung minions. Jungkook watched the boys scowl at him as they moved passed and too their original destination. Jungkook looked at Namjoon who smiled at him and gestured him to follow.

“I heard about everything that’d happened to you yesterday. I’m guessing you didn’t get too many of your classes,” he said looking at Jungkook. Jungkook nodded in response.

“Well it looks like you also get lost quite easily so there’s someone I want to introduce to you,” he said turning into the classroom to see a boy about his height leaning back on the board. His arms were crossed and he watched as his gaze drifted over to the entrance that Jungkook came through. The boy looked at Jungkook up and down landing on his red eye. The side of the boy’s mouth pulled up into a grin.

“Hi, I’m Jimin,” he said walking over to Jungkook without hesitation. He had his hand out as well to greet the boy. Jungkook looked from the smiling expression down to his hand.

“Jungkook,” he said as he shook the hand.

“Nice to meet you. Mr. Kim said he wanted me to walk you through the school,” he said smiling at Namjoon.

“This was the person I was talking about. I knew you two would pair just fine, go give him a tour and be back before math starts. Here’s his schedule,” Namjoon said handing Jimin a piece of paper. Jimin nodded and smiled at Jungkook passing him and back out the doorway disappearing around the corner. Jungkook waited a moment as he watched the boy’s head peak back around the corner.

“What’re you doing? We don’t have all day,” he said motioning Jungkook to follow him. Jungkook had no idea why this kid didn’t treat him like the other, but he was grateful that he didn’t.