The Kids Aren't Alright

Not the Only One

Today was the day that she used to dread. In the past, she thought she would be dead when this event occured. But, today would be the day that she would officially let him go. Here she was in front of the busy banquet hall that was bustling with people, which made her almost regret even coming, but she knew what needed to be done. Because of that, she wore an oversized sun hat. In the distance, she could see his father, mother, and future grandfather in law shaking hands and receiving blessings from the guess. She saw Mother's face. A false smile dressed her face as she greeted the guests. But, she knew what Mother was feeling. Behind the smile she could see her crestfallen attitude. It hurt her to see that. 

"Hani Nuna?" Hani turned around and saw Eunjo, Seungjo's younger and only brother, asked in surprise. She held a soft smile on her face. She ruffled his hair affectionately and to her surprise, he didn't reject it. Just like his mother, his face was also crestfallen.  

"Ah, Eunjo. Look at you! You've gotten cuter over night." he scrutched his nose upwards at her comment. She dug in her handbag and pulled out a pink envelope. He begrudingly accepted it. "I'm counting on you to deliver this, okay? I'll see you around." he nodded. She smiled and patted his head.  As she began to walk away, Eunjo tugged on her dress. She looked back at him in question.

"You were only here to give him a letter? Y That question startled her. She almost forgot that how direct he can be. 

"No, I'm not here for that. Why would I do that?" She bent down to his level. He didn't look her in the eye. 

"I thought you loved my brother. Don't you?" Hani sighed. She knew this would come up. 

"Eunjo, well, many things happen for a reason that sometimes can't be explained. Seungjo and I can't be together. We just weren't right for each other."

"But, you and my brother were supposed to be together!"

"No, we weren't. Every little thing doesn't suppose to have a perfect result," she explained to him sternly. He looked up with an unknown emotion in his eyes. 

"Really? Are you going surrender just like that?"

"There was no fight to win in the first place." Eunjo had a baffled stare and then a split second later his eyes widen. 

"So, this is a goodbye? I'm never going to see you again?" 

"A goodbye? You're going see me again! Ah, why didn't I mention that eariler?" a smile tugged on her face. She pulled her flipphone out and checked something. A smile made spread on her face. "Oh, I have to go now. You have my number so you can call me anytime, okay Eunjo?" she gave him a pat the head and took her exit.

"Oh, hyung. You blew it for real this time." Eunjo mumbled under breath walking to Seungjo's preparation room. He swerved pass by many people and ignored who ever tried to greet him. He could care less at the moment. It didn't feel right to him. Eventhough he didn't want to admit his stance, he always thought that Hani would end up with his brother. But, a crossing thought dominanted his mind. He remembered the smile on her face when she checked her phone.That's the smiled she had when Seungjo did a rarity in her favor. Now, she seemed to be uncomfortable talking about him. He busted out his thoughts when he opened the door. 

Seungjo was sitting in a daze. His eyes were oddly unfocused and uncharacteristically lost. He was dressed perfectly in his tuxedo with his hair slicked backwards. He looked like the perfect groom. But, his brother knew him well. He was mentally a mess. Eunjo walked up to him and placed the pink envelope beside him. He proceed to leave out the door. Seungjo sighed. He glance at the envelope. His eyes quickly looked back at it. He knew that envelope. He picked up the envelope and opened it. There was a thick letter.

Dear Baek Seungjo,      

                                   Congratulations! You are getting married today I've heard. In the past, I thought that I would be in that place instead Haera. I loved you for four years. You were practically my everything. You meant so much that I attempted to commit suicide over you. Now, I realize that it was necessary. That one incident opened my eyes and made me witness reality. Those words you said in the rain killed me. I heard the hate, the sorrow, and the madness behind them. It was too much to bear. But, I'm fine and better now. All that time before was spent dedicated you without finding myself. After the suicide was unsuccessful, I didn't know who I was or what I wanted. I was lost in a dark place. But, someone helped me see what was worth while. I owe that person my life. I thought that I would have been dead by the time this day arrived. This letter is my final goodbye to you and my love for you. 

                                                                             Sincerely yours,

                                                                                                  Oh Hani

He let out a ragged sigh. The wall of his emotional indifference began to create more cracks than before. His rationality was hanging off a cliff that would eventually lead to an abyss of his demise. There was a knock on the door. He knew what it signified. He sighed and stood up causing the evenlope to fall to the ground. He looked down and saw another letter that fell out. He picked it up. It was her imfamous letter confession. Then, at that moment, his mental wall crumbled in debris. He ran out the door, pushing whoever was notifying him. He was going to find Hani.

                                                   ~~~

He sprinted. Civilians walking down the street stared at him perculiarly. He didn't care about what they thought. This was his last chance to get her. It was to last chance to love. He arrived at the first place he thought of. Her father's restaurant. He arrived bursting through the door of the establishment, startling the costumers. Hani's father moved from behind the counter to approach him.

"Seungjo, why are you here? Aren't you suppose to be at your wedding?' he asked. 

"Yes, I was supposed to, but I couldn't go through with it. I love Hani, sir. I know it's late. Where is she?"

"She left to the park ten minutes ago. Seungjo, I understand why you had to do what you did but it still doesn't change the fact that you hurt my precious daughter."

"Thank you, ajussi." Seungjo rush out of the spying eyes of the restaurant. Hani's father sighed in stressed and took a seat at the bar. 

"No need to thank me, son. There's no reason to thank me. You'll regret it."

                                                   ~~~

He went to the spot she would sit at when she visited the park. It was also the historic spot where he kissed her for the second time. His feelings for her were gradually growing for underneath him. He saw a woman removing her sun hat. She ruffled her brown hair and slid it behind her ear. He caught a glimpse of the woman and almost choked. It was her. He observed her movements and small antics. She looked up to the sky and smiled. Her smile was one the list of things her loved about her. It delighted him so. But as soon as his observation begun, it shattered as an unfamiliar face put his hands on her shoulder. She jumped in shock. 

"Ah, what a beautiful day," he stated sitting beside her. When she fully recoiled, the stranger felt the force of her punch that landed on his arm. He whined rubbing his arm. 

"Jungkook oppa! Don't scare me like that!" 

"I'm sorry." he kissed her cheek and pulled her closer with arm wrapped around her shoulder. She relaxed into his embrace. Seungjo felt as if his heart dropped to the bottom of the abyss. His feet fell heavy as he walked towards them. Their hands clasped together and soft, amorus smiles held on their faces. At that moment, he felt his heart crush further. 

"Oh Hani," he called out, getting the couple's direct attention. Different emotions were expressed on her face. He saw shock, worry, and slight dissapointment. She mouth slightly dropped in surprise. 

"Seungjo, how- why are you here?" she asked in a baffled manner.

"I receive your letters."

"If you got them, you shouldn't be here. Go back to your wedding. To Haera." he almost jumped at the force of her stern and softspoken words. He never heard speak in a stern manner before and it placed fear in him.

"I can't marry her. I just can't!"

"Seungjo, please. Why are you acting like this?"

"Because I'm still in love you." Jungkook let out a frustrated sigh and stepped forward. Hani stopped him by his arm, feeling his emotions. She turned to him. 

"Oppa, could you give us a second?" Jungkook gave him a deadly glare that could instantly kill. 

"Fine," he put his hand on her shoulder and leaned into her ear. "Don't take too long," she nodded and patted his hand. With one last glare pointed towards his opponent, he quickly strode away. Once he was out of ear shot distance, they sat on the bench. She sat arkwardly, wating for him to say something. He fidgeted in his spot.

"How are you feeling?" Hani broke the ice, making him slightly more comfortable with the situation. A soft smile finally cracked across his lips.

"I'm feeling okay, how about you?" He responded, though they could both feel the air growing thick with an arkward undertone.

She let out a sigh. "I've been better." Seungjo chuckled to himself.

"Were you always this satirical?" He asked. She smiled, and he remembered all those first-love moments again. All the tiny things they did to remind each other about the love they once had. But the feeling was fleeting when her smile dropped and in response to his question, Hani shook her head and picked up his hands, meeting his eyes with a certain unhappiness that he didn't want to acknowledge. Her love for him had faded, he knew, but maybe he could brighten it up a little, put the vibrant colours back to her memories.

"Seungjo, you know how I feel about you. I don't want to make small talk about this. I told you everything in the letter," she told him. Seungjo felt his heart clenching.

"But, H-Hani, I-"

"Please. Just do this for me. If nothing else, I want you to do this one thing for me and go back to your wedding with Haera," she told him. He didn't want to believe his ears or his eyes, as they were focused on her beautiful face that he hadn't appreciated enough.

"But I can't be happy with her," he choked. She cooed and kissed the tops of his hands, letting them fall in her lap with a force that shattered his pride and his newly broken heart.

"Well, I can't be happy with you. Not anymore."

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

hey hey hey, it's Lilly, biasedonaron1.

I know I dont usually do author notes, but i had to finish this chapter due to my lovely coauthor's hiatus, which i will explain next chapter

but i hope you like this chapter! I know my coauthor worked super hard on it, (and i may have messed it up a bit at the end bc i didnt know what to finish this chapter with) but nonetheless i hoped it was enjoyable