Deadline

That Tomboy Girl

 

Luhan buttons the cuffs of his shirt and folds the collar before he smoothes his shirt so that he will look neat. He takes a deep breath while looking at himself in the mirror. He looks different than his casual self. Now, he looks really formal with his hair brushed up, black shirt and formal trousers like he has an occasion to attend. He doesn’t have any event today except his ‘romantic’ dinner with Seohyun at 5-star restaurant.

Why does he call as romantic?  Because today, he decides that he wants to confess and propose to Seohyun, asking her to marry him. He waited for this for quite some time although he still hesitates to do so. However, with Seohyun’s parents’ encouragement, he knows that he needs to act fast. Well, for her parents, it’s not that nice for a single guy and lady to stay in the same house without any tie. They wanted to see them together too. Basically, they have approved Luhan for Seohyun when they met for the first time.

Another thing that why he decided to do it today because it is a deadline for him to propose to her and he only has 5 hours left before the deadline. He is so nervous with this. What if Seohyun rejects him? What if Seohyun is not ready to get marry yet? What if Seohyun wants to finish her study first? His mind couldn’t stop thinking only negative. If it wasn’t that deadline, he would probably prepared everything first.

Why does he even have a deadline to propose to Seohyun? Well, her father is the one who gave the deadline to him.

 

~1 week ago~

 

After his never-ending cry, he felt a lot better now. It feels like everything that he kept inside has finally leaved his body and he admitted that his body feels lighter now that the burden inside him has gone away. Of course, with Seohyun’s father by her side, now he knows that he has someone to be with him even through his hard times. Although he just met with her father, he felt like Mr. Seo is his own father but better than his own father.

 

“Do you like Joohyun, Luhan?” Mr. Seo asked.

Luhan was startled with the question but his cheeks turned red a bit because it would be so embarrassing to say that he likes Seohyun in front of her father.

“I take that as a ‘yes’.” Mr. Seo said with a smile as Luhan didn’t answer his question but he knew that Luhan likes his daughter judging from his shy smile and red cheeks. “Then, when are both of you planning to get married?”

Before this, he was startled. This time, he was literally choking and dumbfounded with Mr. Seo’s question. Plan to get married? He hasn’t confessed to her yet. How is he going to plan that? “I haven’t confessed to her yet, abeonim.” He said while grinning like an idiot.

“What? You’ve known my daughter for so long but you haven’t confessed to her yet? When are you going to confess to her?” Luhan was surprised with the sudden changed tone of Mr. Seo from soft and gentle voice to an angry voice. He asked him in harsh tone.

“I-I-I will c-confess to her. Soon.” Luhan stammered while answering. He didn’t know what to say as he was shocked with Mr. Seo.

“When is that ‘soon’? By the time you’re dying?” At this moment, Luhan had lost his words to say anything to Mr. Seo. Who would’ve thought that behind his calm look, there is a scary side of him. “What I want you to do is that you ask her to marry you. Because you haven’t confessed to her, I will give you a time to do that.” Luhan blinked while trying to understand what he was telling him. He waited for Mr. Seo to continue. “I will give you a week to do that. You have to give me the answer personally whether my daughter said ‘yes’ or ‘no’. I will give you until next week Saturday before 12.00am. You have to give me the answer before 12.00am sharp. After than that, even just 1 second, I will against your marriage with my daughter.”

Luhan’s eyes widened after hearing the order that was given by Mr. Seo. He likes Seohyun obviously but he is not ready to confess to her for now. At least, maybe after she finished studying? He knew that Seohyun will reject him if he asked her to marry him.

“Do you get it?” Mr. Seo asked in strict voice.

He had no choice but to nod his head quickly. Within a second, Mr. Seo turned to the Mr. Seo that he knew; the kind and calm Mr. Seo that was with him just now. It’s scary to think about how a person can change within a split second. He was smiling at him and told him that they should get back now since Seohyun and his wife were waiting for them. Add that, they were making a dinner and for sure they don’t want to eat a cold food.

~End of flashback~

 

Luhan comes out from his room and Seohyun also comes out from the guest room or maybe he should called, her room now. She is wearing white one-shoulder long sleeve dress until her knee length. The dress is a two-layered dress but the outer layer is made from the lace which covered from the one-shoulder part to the knee. Meanwhile, the inner layer is just a plain white dress but only covered from her chest to her thighs. That means, the dress from his eyes is y and the lace didn’t even help it either.

Luhan did nothing but stares at her mesmerizingly. The dress is totally hugging her body and he can see how great her body proportion is. He even starts to imagine some things but totally releases that thought because it is inappropriate for him to think that.

‘If I want more than that, I have to make her say ‘yes’ to me first.’ He thought while trying to erase the naughty thoughts about Seohyun’s body.

 

“Uh, oppa?” Seohyun asked him as he was standing there while staring at her deeply from the time both of them went out their respective room.

Luhan immediately brought back to his sense after Seohyun called him. He clears his throat and tells her that they should go now for dinner. However, he didn’t mention about the ‘romantic date’ that he always thought himself for a week. It’s hard for him to prepare within a week. He rushed basically everything. He had to find time to buy a ring for her and he had no idea what is her size. He finally bought it but he is afraid if it isn’t fit with her finger, be it smaller or bigger than the one he bought.

 


 

Both of them arrived at a fancy restaurant which only a rich people could go. Seohyun is surprised when Luhan brought her to this place. She is not used to this kind of fancy place and she doesn’t know why Luhan had to trouble himself just take her to this place. For her, street stall that sells ddeobeokki is enough.

Oppa, this restaurant looks expensive. Do you have money to pay all these?” Her biggest worry is that they have no money to pay the foods. It looks like she forgets that Luhan is an inspector now. His salary is definitely higher than before but he never shows it. He prefers to live a normal life with basic stuffs.

“Don’t worry, Joohyun. I can pay. Just order what you want.” Luhan said as the waiter gives the menu to them.

Seohyun reads the menu and her jaw drops while looking at the price of each of the dish that on the menu. Looking at the price, she could buy a ddeobeokki, six pieces of kimbap, and a bowl of eomuguk from the street stalls that equals with the price for one dish in this restaurant. Luhan urges her to pick what she wants to eat. She frowns while looking at the menu. It’s not that it doesn’t look tasty, no, it is tasty and she wants to eat that but just looking at the price made her loss her appetite.

Luhan waits for her to choose something from the menu and while he is waiting, this is his chance to stare at her face lovingly. He knew that Seohyun doesn’t like it but even with frowning, she still manages to look so beautiful that he doesn’t want to take his eyes off her.

While he is endlessly staring at her, his phone rings indicating that someone is calling him. He takes a look on his phone and frowns when Tao is calling him. Why is he calling him now? Does he know that he is busy?

“Joohyun, I need to take this call. Okay?” Luhan told Seohyun and she just nods before her eyes focus back to the menu in which she flips it in bored expression.

 

Luhan goes to somewhere far to answer his phone so that he won’t disturb other customers. He picks up the call and asks Tao, “What do you want, Tao?”

As Tao explains something to him, he frowns in annoyed. “Why me? Aren’t anybody else there?” He starts to feel annoyed even more as he grits his teeth in anger. “But I’m not working at night shift, you know right?” He reminds Tao again.

Luhan shuts his eyes tightly and feels like he wants to punch the wall now. He is so angry right now. “Okay! I’ll be there in a few minutes!” He said irritatingly and just hangs up without waiting Tao to say something.

He grips a handful of his hair tightly before ruffles it hardly. Damn it! Tao just called him and said that he has to come to the office for a new case. He doesn’t understand why because usually if there is a new case arrived, it will be the inspector who is on duty that shift will handle it but he doesn’t understand why this one is given to him. There are a lot of inspectors that having a duty tonight and it should be them handling the case.

Tao is also another problem. He knew that Luhan isn’t working at night shift today so why does he have to give the case to him? Tao also mentioned that he is the only one can handle this and that the other inspectors agreed with that. The other inspectors are more experienced than him. It’s obvious that they can handle the case. It’s impossible the other inspectors couldn’t handle that at all.

Then, he looks at Seohyun who is sitting at their table while still flipping the menu. Suddenly, he feels bad for her and he feels anxious too, anxious because with him has to go to the office now, when is he going to confess to her? He thought that after bringing her for a dinner, they will go to the Han River and he will confess his love to her and propose her to marry him. He wants to do something romantic tonight and thought that it will happen.

He looks at his watch and it is 8.00pm now. 4 hours left. Can he make it? He has no choice but to confess to her while he is sending her to home. However, he wants to propose normally like how people do; with kneeling while showing the ring to her. He can’t do that while he is in the car. Or maybe he will do that in front of the door of his home while he escorts her to there.

 

Seohyun turns to Luhan when he comes and she noticed that he looks so sad. Is there anything happened? Could it be that his money isn’t enough to pay the food? Well, she hasn’t ordered yet.

“Joohyun,” Luhan stopped while thinking how to say that the dinner is cancelled. “I’m sorry, Joohyun. My workmate called me and told me that I had to go to office now because there is a case that I need to handle.”

Seohyun nods in understand. She really understands that he has a work now and he needs to go to his office. “Does that mean that this dinner is cancelled?”

He nods sadly. “I’m really sorry, Joohyun. I don’t understand why I need to go to office now. You know that I’m not working for night shift for today.” For the past few days, he was working on night shift and he could say that he rarely meets Seohyun when he is back from his work. By the time he came back, Seohyun had already slept.

“It’s okay, oppa. I really understand that. Let’s go now. You need to be there fast.” Seohyun said with a smile while eager to go home. She feels glad because she doesn’t have to stay in this restaurant any longer and he doesn’t have to pay a huge amount of money for their dinner. Although she feels bad for him because he had prepared everything for this dinner, he doesn’t have to trouble himself.

 


 

Both of them are in the car now and Luhan thought that he could confess to Seohyun but Tao called him every minutes and it annoyed him so much. He picked up the phone on the first call but Tao asked him where he is making Luhan said that he will be there soon and he will be late a bit but Tao doesn’t accept that. Tao called him after one minute and asked the same question and it repeated again and again. In the end, he silent his phone but Seohyun told him to answer it. She feels annoyed with the ringing and vibrate sounds non-stop.

 

“What else do you want, Tao? I told you that I’ll be there but late. I’m busy, you know!” Luhan muttered angrily.

Since he is driving, he uses hands-free to answer all those annoying calls from Tao. “Do you think that I have a teleporter power? If I have that, I will be there by now!”He said sarcastically when Tao said that he needs to be there by now.

Luhan grits his teeth and he feels like he needs to punch something but he can’t do that in front of Seohyun. “I’m driving, okay! And I’m not the only who drive a car on this road.” Tao thinks that his joke would be funny to Luhan but not if he keeps going to push him like this.

“I will be there, okay! Bye!” Luhan hung up his phone and immediately switches it off to prevent Tao from calling him again. He can’t take it anymore.

 

Luhan thought that this is the right time to confess as he finally switched his phone off but unfortunately, he finally arrives at his home. He wants to follow her until she reaches his home but she stopped him.

“Your workmate is waiting for you, oppa. I’m sure there is something urgent. Just go, oppa! I will text you when I reached home. Bye, oppa! Be safe!” Seohyun kisses her fingers before waves to him and Luhan responds with the same action.

Luhan isn’t sure whether it is a flying kiss or just a wave. If it’s just a wave, she wouldn’t have to kiss her fingers. If it is a flying kiss, she doesn’t blow like how people do. Maybe it’s a mix and match. He did ask her why she did that and she said she likes to do that. However, Luhan had never seen her did the same thing to others, even to Irene.

 


 

Luhan enters his house feeling furious with what happened at the office just now. Believe it or not, he just spent two hours at the office only to find out that he was prank by Yifan, Yixing and Tao with the help of the other inspectors and polices as well.

At first, he thought that something big happened but it turned out that the new case is about a girl who was sad because her boyfriend dumped her and Luhan was asked to interrogate that girl. Of course, he doesn’t understand why but his friends and other inspectors urged him to do that so he followed their order.

 

While he was interrogating that girl, the girl acted really like a crazy woman. She cried and even asked him how to get her boyfriend back. Luhan was dumbfounded when she asked that and told her to move on but what he didn’t expect is that the girl assumed that she should move on and date Luhan.

It was unexpected for her to say that. Not only she said that, she even attempted to hug or kiss Luhan but luckily he was fast enough to avoid her. However, he was trapped when that girl basically pinned him to the wall and tried to kiss him but he tried his best to avoid her.

Then, his friends and other officers came while laughing and with their phone on their hands like they were recording the scene. That’s when Yifan told him that this is a prank and all of them with that girl. It turned out that the girl is a newbie. She has a crush on Luhan but he never noticed her.

Well, it’s true. He only focused on his work and personal things were put aside from work. In fact, he doesn’t even know that girl at all. He was so furious and wanted to leave immediately but his friends were teasing him with that girl. Don’t they know that he has someone else? Oh, wait! Only Minseok knows. He knew that he could trust Minseok. Even when Luhan didn’t said to keep it as a secret, he won’t tell anyone.

Luhan sarcastically thanked Yifan, Yixing, and Tao for ruining his night and wasting his time. He even asked them to do it again because he really loves it although his expression says otherwise. Basically, his friends just ruined his plan to propose Seohyun.

 

Luhan looks at the clock that was hanging on the wall. Time is 11.30pm now. 30 minutes left! His eyes widen after he saw that. What should he do now? He is pretty sure that Seohyun is sleeping now. But time is running out. Should he asked for postpone? But her father is serious about this. He doesn’t want her father to go against with their marriage. He wants to marry Seohyun.

Should he just confess now? But waking Seohyun from her sleep? He feels bad about that but there’s no choice left. He wants Seohyun and the only thing to make her to say ‘yes’ is by asking her now. By now means that he needs to wake her up. He heaves a heavy sigh.

 

He opens the door of her room and gets inside slowly not to wake her up. She is sleeping and he didn’t dare to wake her up. But his mind is only thinking about married to Seohyun. Even with hesitation, he wakes her up. “Joohyun?” He shakes her shoulder slowly and it becomes a little bit faster after that.

Seohyun stirs in her sleep but she is barely awake. When Luhan wakes her again, she is almost awake. “Huh?” She asked in sleeping voice. She is so sleepy and her eyes are still closed.

“I want to talk something to you.” Luhan said but whether Seohyun heard it or not, he doesn’t know. “Sit down, Joohyun. Can you?” He requested.

“Huh? Hmm.” She answered. Not exactly.

With a tired feeling, Seohyun pushes her body to sit herself on the bed while Luhan is kneeling in front of her. Her head begins to nod itself showing that she is sleepy.

Luhan holds her hands while looking at her sleepy face with her eyes almost closed. He hopes that she will hear him for what he will say. “Joohyun,” He began. “On the first day I met you, you’re the only one who asked me whether I’m a guy. I was so nervous because everyone I met didn’t say anything about me. When I saw you for the first time, my heart beat really fast. At first, I thought it’s because of my anxiety because I’m scared if I got caught that time. But I know that I’m not anxious. I know how I feel when I’m really anxious. Joohyun, wake up!” Luhan shook Seohyun to wake her again when her body is slowly leaning forward.

“Huh, what? Hmm.” She managed to speak a few words.

“You know what, I tried my best to avoid you because I don’t want to get caught but day by day, I’m getting closer to you. When I found out about your fear and your past, my heart said that I should protect you. Joohyun!” He shook again and Seohyun awakes with her eyes half-closed. “I don’t really know how or when it happened but I really want to protect you that I don’t want you to leave by my side. That’s when I realized that I have a feeling for you. I started to like you. More than just a friend.” Luhan looked somewhere else while he said those words and brought back to his sense when Seohyun’s head hit his head.

“Huh? I’m sorry, oppa.” Seohyun apologized in sleepy voice.

“When I kissed you that time, I finally knew my exact feeling for you. I really love you. But I was so stupid for doing that because you didn’t know me yet that time. It really hurt when you were avoiding me but it’s my fault. But I just can’t. I can’t leave you even just awhile. Joohyun? Joohyun!” Luhan lifted her head and called her name to wake her up.

Seohyun tilts her head to the side with her eyes barely open. She keeps humming every time Luhan called her. Whether she heard the words that he said or not, no one knows.

“I was worried of you when you’re not with me. Every day I think about you. That’s when I realized that I can’t stay away with you. I want to be with you forever. I want to protect you until our last breath.” Luhan let go of her hand to take something inside his pocket. He takes a ring box and opens it in front of sleepy Seohyun. “Seo Joohyun, I love you so much! I want to be with you forever.” He gulps his saliva before he continues his words. “Will you marry me?”

Luhan waits for her answer but she doesn’t give any reaction about it. Maybe she is sleeping. He shakes her body and Seohyun bolts upright when Luhan shook her body. “Joohyun, will you marry me?” He asked for a second time.

Seohyun is still half-awake when Luhan asked her for the second time. “Huh? Hmm.” She hummed in her sleep.

“Is it a yes or no?” Luhan wants an exact yes or no answer. If she keeps humming, he doesn’t know whether she really said yes or no.

“Yes.” She mumbled sleepily.

Luhan’s eyes widen after hearing her answer. She just said yes to him? She wants to marry with him? “Really? You want to marry me?” He asked again for confirmation.

“Yes.” Seohyun said with sleepy voice again.

Luhan can’t say anything right now because he is too happy with the answer that he received from Seohyun. She just said yes. To him! Of course he is happy. He takes out the ring from the box and put it on her ring hand. Surprisingly, the ring fits nicely on her finger. He can’t believe it. The size that he knows by heart is fit on hers. He takes a look on her. Seohyun keeps nodding her head because she wants to sleep. He lays her down on her bed and pulls the blanket up until her chest to cover her so that she won’t get so cold. Then, he her head without leaving a huge grin on his face while looking at her sleeping face.

“I love you, Seo Joohyun. Have a nice dream!” He said softly. As much as he wants to kiss her now, he holds himself from doing so. He wants to do it when they get married. When they are married, he can do anything he wants with Seohyun. All of sudden, he can’t wait for their wedding.

 

= = = = = = = = = =

 

Abeonim, I have confessed and proposed to Joohyun. She said yes!” Luhan talked to Seohyun’s father about the answer that he waited since last week.

It’s almost twelve and at first, Luhan doesn’t want to call him because he was afraid that he would disturb his sleep but it turned out that Mr. Seo was waiting for his call.

“Really? Thank goodness! I’m so happy with this news, Luhan. I’m really happy. I will come tomorrow to discuss everything for the wedding. I want to make it quick. It’s not nice for both of you to stay together without any relationship.” Mr. Seo is extremely happy with the news. He really wants to see his daughter to get married but knowing her, it would be impossible. He is so thankful to Luhan for changing Seohyun’s mind and thought about boys. Luhan did change her. He never believes that his daughter will eventually get married and he is glad that she is going to marry someone who understands her and loves her so much.

“Sure, abeonim. I can’t wait as well.” Luhan said giddily before he ends the call with Mr. Seo.

He looks at the time on his phone. 11.59pm. That was a close call. He heaves a relieve breath when he managed to tell her father about this. He lies down on the bed with a big smile on his face. Seohyun’s answer earlier at least makes his anger towards his friends dissipated a bit.

 

That night, he manages to sleep in peace following the smile on his face that never fades.

 

 

 

 

 


I really want to post this chapter about three days after I posted the last chapter. However, I received a message from my lecturer said that he wants his students to send reports for our internship to my college and the deadline is today 30/11/2015. I'm doing my reports like a crazy girl. Had to ask my friends what did they put on their report, how to do the front page and all. My lecturer even told us last minute. It's really crazy. I sent my reports on Friday and I feel like my body is lighter than before. Hahaha.

Enjoy this chapter! I know you like it (maybe). Luhan had no choice but to propose to Seohyun while she is sleeping. What do you think about it? Wonder if Seohyun really heard his confession and proposal or not?