The Wintry Forest

The Prince of the Underworld

Warning: There is a fair bit of violence in this chapter.

***

                The trek north was much more arduous than Wooyoung anticipated. He managed to keep a low profile as he journeyed. He only stopped people to ask if he was on the right track. He also received several warnings not to go to the Elven domain. He tried to not to think of too much on the way, and wished now he had at least asked for company to be with him. He doubted he would have gotten anything, but being so alone and by himself, his thoughts often wandered to less pleasant things. His horse also wasn’t the best conversation partner. So, his days went undisturbed and he was able to figure out his abilities and his the items he received from Min on his person. The fragmented memories of this dream’s ‘Wooyoung’ only gave him headaches with his complexity. He was plagued at night with disturbed dreams of losing everyone, and failing. When he awoke, he held an even greater fear. Witches, if they attacked, would be a ridiculously unpleasant thorn in his side. He did his best that they wouldn’t find him, and his dedicated horse.

                Day and night, he trampled on. More and more he began to see plants of various kinds, but soon, he came to frost covered lands. He’d been travelling without incident for six days. Six days and he’d finally managed to catch sight of his destination. On the sixth evening, the sky was darkening, the air cooling. A subtle wind blew snow swirls about him. The looming trees of the forest rose high in the distance. Then, he heard a cackle, and he dove off his horse and ducked behind a large boulder. Looking beyond, he eyed three women around a fire of pink and green flames: witches. Just his luck and on the last day! He would be able to face them better in daylight.

                “Hello darling.”

                Snapping to the one now beside him, he rolled away and put up a defensive shield just in time. She cackled and twirled her long golden locks around her finger. His horse sped off with all his supplies, but didn’t make it far before bursting into shreds.

                The others joined her side and laughed. “Well, well, it isn’t often we get prey so pretty.”

                “Who are you, stranger?” The pink haired one asked.

                “Just a weary traveller.” He said and edged in the northward direction.

                “Oh, you wouldn’t want to be going that way. The Elves live in these northern forests.”

                Wooyoung shrugged, “well, I hear they’re quite hospitable.”

                “Sassy one isn’t he?” The third chuckled and flew closer on her broom. “Hmm...Revolutionist clothing...”

                “Oh, quite a feisty one then, but a long way from home.” The pink one said.

                “I sense...something about him.” The one with golden hair said and floated nearer. “Oh...”

                Wooyoung smirked and turned tail. He could see the boundary of the forest. Feeling something latch around his wrists, he felt his body rise high into the sky. Magic clasps were tightening painfully, and burning the skin of his wrists.

                “I got you, handsome!” The pink one laughed and zoomed towards him.

                “Release.” The clasps broke and he was falling to the earth. He put up a shield just in time. Her spell shot back.

                “He is feisty!” The third shouted.

                Wooyoung set off bursts of magic, not holding back and they dodged and deflected. He took off once more. A monstrosity of magic surged around him and he went sailing as a clasp caught his wrist. This one was metal. Hanging in the air, the witches circled around him, the magic swam under him. Feeling his other wrist become trapped, he gasp as electricity shocked through his body. Gasping hard, his Wolves danced around angrily inside him. “Haa...haa...” He gasped and managed to break the restraints once more. He weaved spell after spell above him, their magic unable to penetrate. He shook horribly and bolts of electricity ran into the ground. “ing witches!” He cursed.

                He clapped his hands together and lightening rained down from the sky. He heard laughs and screams. Maintaining his shields for as long as he could, he made for the forest. Feeling pain surge up through him, he collapsed and gasped heavily. Looking upon his hands, he noticed they were healing but very slowly, and his wrists were heavily chafed. Looking up into the darkening blue sky, he quickly faced forward and carried on. His lungs and legs burning, and his energy fast decreasing, but he was determined to reach his destination. He passed by young trees as he went, and they grew in number.

                Crossing into the forest boundary, he looked up in wonder at them. They were shimmering blue in the fading light and their leaves shook in the strengthening wind. Feeling pain shoot up his leg, he crashed into the forest canopy and cries softly in agony. Hearing that sickening laughter, he managed to roll himself onto his back as they appear over him. Two of the three women, mounted on their brooms, circled menacingly around him.

                “Ah, finally lost your strength, demon?” The slender pink-haired one asked as she floated down.

                “Aren’t you so lucky?” He wheezed cheekily.

                “Shut it!” She huffed and kicked him. “You killed my sister. I’m going to have to punish you, cretin.”

                Managing to pull himself away from her, he shrugged, “I don’t know what you’re talking about. You attacked me first. I’d say her death was fair game.”

                She stormed towards him and gripped his neck tightly. “Do not test my patience, Immortal. You know how strong coven bonds are.”

                “I think it’s...good redemption...for what she did to me...” He managed and sunk his claws into her forearm, causing him to fall. She kicked him back into a tree.

                “Why would a being such as yourself complain about what she did?” The second witch wondered. “I can smell it reeling off of you, the scent of raging anger. I think we could be allies, you and us.”

                Rolling his eyes, he leaned against the tree heavily and looked up. “Yeah, a lot of people feel that way around me, and no thanks.” He murmured and rested his head back against the smooth bark. It smelled so nice here, fresh and clean. The lands of the previous dream could not compare.

                “We shouldn’t be here, sister!” The blond hissed suddenly. “If they find us here, we’ll be under suspicion.”

                “They won’t care if they realise we’re chasing someone like him.” The pink-haired witch said and pressed her wand into his shoulder. “Prepare to die, monster.” She hissed.

                He could only smirk of course. “Good luck.”

                Her palm connected with his cheek sharply.

                The air shifted though. The pleasant smells faded and then it began to grow very dark.

                “Sister!”

                Warm droplets hit his face. Looking up slowly, the smell of blood overwhelmed him and she descended to her knees.

                “Sister!”

                “Leave now!”

                She began to wheeze until another arrow appeared, striking her in the temple and she collapsed to the ground. Before he could react, a shimmering blade came to his neck, and a figure adorned in black and green clothes knelt before him. Their face and one eye was covered, but the striking amber kept him still.

                “Who are you?”

                Silence encompassed him and he found it hard to respond. They were male, that he knew for sure. His scent was overpowering him more than the stringent smell of blood. Witches always had a putrid flare to their scent.

                “Answer me, or I’ll slice you open!” He pressed the blade closer.

                “I...whoa! Hold on a second!” He said and raised his still injured, blackened hands. “I don’t mean you any harm. I was escaping from them,” he pointed to the fallen woman. “I assure you I did nothing to them, they attacked me first.”

                “Tsk...” The man scoffed and loaded his bow. “No surprise with an aura like yours.”

                “Witches!” He defended, exasperated beyond anything. “Witches do whatever they want!”

                “Fine. Why seek safety in Elven territory, stranger?”

                “I wasn’t –” He slumped back, “well...I’m looking for someone.” He said quickly.

                “You should know that the Elves of this area do not take kindly to Immortals like you, dark one.” He said curiously and pulled back on his arrow.

                “Well...that’s kind of news to me...” He said and felt exhaustion barrel through him. “The person I’m looking for is from Lunaris.”

                The bow wavered. “How do you know he is here?”

                “A hunch...I guess.” He said. “Ah!” He gasped and ducked his head as the arrow came flying at him. The blade tip skirted along his cheek. “I’m sorry!”    

                “I don’t have time for this...” He heard him mumble. He stepped back and walked around the witches before pulling up some chains. He made his way back. “These are made of Dwarf silver.”

                “I...I know...I can see that.” They snapped around his wrists. “What?!” He pressed back against the tree as the blade pressed once more against his throat.

                “If you know how to hide your aura it would be beneficial to do so now.”

                Wooyoung did as told, and just in time it seemed.

                “I warn you, scum, if you try anything: I will dismember you piece by piece.”

                Wooyoung had never met an Elf like this one before. He also seemed excited at the possibility of killing him.

                “Strange One, have you felled these witches?”

                Wooyoung looked out at more figures standing around the battle scene.

                “Yes, they were chasing him.”

                Only two others had their faces covered like the man before him.

                “Is he injured?”

                “The battle seemed to have been intense.” He said. “I believe they were trying to capture him.” He indicated to the restraints around his wrists. “Probably trying to run away from them.”

                “Bring him to the city, Dwarf silver is very valuable.”

                Wooyoung was hoisted up into the man’s arms. “Don’t do anything funny.”

                “Y-You’re not...gonna try and kill me anymore, right?”

                “Can’t promise that if you don’t behave, but you wouldn’t have been worthy to keep alive if you were struck by my arrow.” He sighed and began to walk.

                Wooyoung felt as if he was experiencing déjà vu. “Do you always carry your prisoners?” He asked quietly.

                “Do you want me to drop you?”

                He shook his head and looked up at him.

                “Those chains are very valuable. Erenia will know how to remove them.”

                “Well, you’re very welcome to have them. Not that I have a choice I guess...” He grumbled, wanting them gone from his body. Dwarf silver was also something Wooyoung detested with a passion. It stunted his healing abilities so he felt even weaker. “I feel...sick.” He said, body heating uncomfortably.

                “It’s the poison of Dwarf silver. You can manage for a while yet.” His ‘saviour’ chided.

                Glaring, he slumped against him. He was receiving first class treatment here, he shouldn’t complain. Although, he didn’t know how he’d find Chansung like this.

                It seemed like they walked for hours. By the time they came to the city in the trees, Wooyoung was feeling terrible. He was taken up high into the gossamer boughs, where he was laid out and a red-haired Elf looked over him. Her hands gripped the Dwarf silver and she murmured some things he didn’t understand. He felt instant relief when they fell away from him. In seconds, he was feeling better and he rolled away from her.

                “Who are you, stranger?” She asked.

                “Probably someone you dislike...” He said and looked over his wrists. They were finally beginning to heal.

                “You are dark Immortal...” She said and watched him closely. “Only dark Immortals can heal that quickly.”

                “I’m from Inferna...er, Lunaris.”

                Her gaze sharpened if possible. “You are assisting with the war then?”

                “In some capacity, yes.”

                “Then we want nothing to do with you-

                “I’m just looking for someone. After that, I promise to leave and never return.” He said and held up his hands.

                “Who?”

                “A man by the name of Hwang Chansung.” He said.

                “There are none here who go by that name.” She said and motioned to the door. “If you would be so kind.”

                “It is of grave importance that I find him.”

                She looked over him once more and smiled, “if I could be of assistance, I would, but I cannot. Please, leave our trees.”

                “Where is the man who carried me here?”

                “Within the forest...”

                “That’s...vague.”

                “If you wish to wander feel free to do so at your own risk, we will not help you. Farewell, dark Immortal.” She departed and the other Elves remained guarded.

                “Fine, fine...” He murmured and walked out. “Could have at least been nice since I brought you Dwarf silver...”

                He walked out beyond the tree city, and felt immediate cold. He may be Immortal, but his humanness was causing him several problems. Not everything about him was the same, Helios had indeed changed some things about him – or whatever his other self permitted. Looking around, he didn’t even know where to start to find him. Something told him he was here, but he couldn’t figure out why. Walking around, he looked up into the night sky and breathed deeply. He was finally beginning to feel better. The night was probably helping. He cursed Helios immensely for making him human – or whatever. At least he still had several of his old abilities. Asides from his exhaustion, losing all his supplies and the death of his horse, shocked with malevolent electricity, and then subjected to one of the holiest metals ever created, he was fine. At least, that’s what he kept repeating in his mind. Then he turned slightly delirious, “it’ll be fine, it’ll be fine.” It became his mantra as he lost himself in the trees.

                Smelling something sweet, he looked about. It was almost like...cinnamon. He began to follow it. The trees seemed to be growing darker and darker. Then, he found himself before different trees. They were more stout, and thick. They were not blue. No, they were adorned with leaves of rich purple-red. However, blue leaves speckled their way up the taller trees just like the others.

                “Wooyoung?”

                Turning, he breathed heavily and found no one. “Okay...”

                Facing the red-purple leaved trees once again, he noticed red eyes gleaming from under the canopy. Panic arose within him, and his breathing came in short pants. It began to move closer.

                “...” He gasped and collapsed to his knees.

                “Wooyoung!

* Memory *

                Opening his eyes, Wooyoung found himself standing beside his mother. She was talking animatedly with others. He was young. Looking at his adolescent-sized hands, he felt tears at his eyes. He had been a young man once, and he was accompanying his mother to a social function it seemed.

                “Wooyoung?”

                Looking up, his mother smiled at him. “Yes mum..?”

                “Why not go and mingle? But no trickery or offensive magic!” She warned and pushed him along.

                He grinned and walked off. He interacted with many, but he found none interesting. He knew he should be making connections, but he had no interest in this party. Coming to the gardens, he smiled at seeing small red flowers, beside them were larger purple ones. Then, he saw him. Their eyes locked and he stared mindlessly into the red and amber irises. He wore red and black, and his long hair was braided. He lay quietly on a stone ledge, flowers all around him, and a book dangling from his hand.

                He smiled.

                Wooyoung returned it. “So bored you’ve come to a garden to read?”

                “These functions are more for business...politics, things I find boring at the moment.” He said as he rolled onto his back, and gazed upon the pages of his book. His power rolled off him in waves.

                “Sometimes business and politics are important.” He said as he came to stand beside him.

                “You wear black and green, are you a member of the Jang family?”

                Wooyoung nodded, “I am.”

                The fellow teen’s interest turned back to him and he lay on his side, face in his hand, book abandoned. “Oh?” He sat up and came to stand before him.

                Wooyoung looked up and held out his hand, “Jang Wooyoung.”

                His hand was clasped in a firm grip, “Hwang Chansung.”

                He gasped and bowed immediately. “I’m sorry, I didn’t realise-

                A tender grip clasped his jaw, and Hwang knelt down before him. “Don’t treat me that way. You are in as high a standing. I believe you’ve attended some of my brothers functions. We’ve never been properly introduced, however.”

                Wooyoung shrugged, “we are different.”

                “Yes, you and your family are true prodigies.”

                He flushed deeply as Hwang moved closer to him. He made to speak but words failed him.

                “Hmm,” he smiled and released him. “I thought you had more bite, that is…at least what the rumours tell me.”

                “Yah, you can’t compliment me and then insult me.” He grumbled and received an amused laugh. “Jerk...”

                Hwang smiled and sat back on the ledge, and took up his book again. “That’s better, don’t you think?”

                Wooyoung walked forward and leaned against his thighs. “Are you flirting with me, your highness?” He asked as he pulled down the book.

                He shrugged, but his smile never faded, “maybe. I’m meeting a very interesting person so I can’t help myself.”

                “And yet you still wish to read in my presence?”

                He shrugged, “I guess I’m poor at engaging with someone I admire.”

                “I should be the one saying that.” He said and stood back. “I hear your family might try to forge an alliance with Baxkos.”

                Hwang looked off into the distance. “Probably, it’s of no interest to me.”

                Wooyoung clucked his tongue, gaining his attention once more. “You should pay attention to those kinds of things, Hwang.”

                “Lecturing me huh?” He chuckled and set his book aside once again.

                Wooyoung smirked, “There’s nothing I like more than bossing people around, especially those who are supposed to be of higher status than me.”

                Hwang bit his lower lip and leaned closer. “I like paying attention to the things I want.”

                Wooyoung blushed once more and smiled lazily. “You’re a dangerous flirt, Hwang.”

                “I’m not the only one...”

                “I’m going to be in so much trouble.” He grumbled and stood back.

                “Because?” He asked and leaned back.

                “Numerous reasons, my mother, connections, a certain High Mage in training who I am involved with...and train alongside...”

                Hwang’s eyes widened and he once more leaned forward. “You’ve trained with the High Mages?”

                “Yes, they’re so stressful.”

                Hwang looked even more impressed. “I can’t imagine the things you’ve been able to experience.”

                Tilting his head, Wooyoung sighed, “what? You can’t go out and explore?”

                Hwang shrugged and came to stand before him. “You should know what would happen to me if I went beyond the boundary of our lands.”

                Wooyoung held his chin and looked out into the night sky. “Perhaps...but it’s not a life to be constrained by the walls of royalty.”

                Hwang smiled, “no it isn’t. It is, however, unfortunate that you are already claimed, Jang.” He said softly.

                Wooyoung met his eyes once more and reached up. He took a soft flower petal from his hair and found his lips taken. Well, he supposed this was better than playing pranks on servants and guests. Feeling larger hands down his backside he melted; definitely better than playing pranks. “That’s as much as I can do.” He said and backed off. He wasn’t the only one panting. He tightened his hand around the petal and smiled.

                “Your High Mage?”

                He nodded. “Although, he knows my habits by now...I always make sure he’s alright with it.”

                “His word is higher than mine?”

                Wooyoung smiled. “My cute love is most important to me, your highness. He’s been with me for a long time.”

                The prince leaned back. “You truly aren’t like other elites.”

                Wooyoung tilted his head, “how so?”

                “Anyone else would have given in already?”

                Wooyoung shrugged, “I am not so easy to win, your highness. Besides, you don’t know how jealous he gets.”

                Hwang laughed.

                Wooyoung inched forward, “he’s quite talented and very…powerful. Also, he’s figured out how to keep a hold on me, and I’ve just met you.”

                “True...”

                “Perhaps one day you and I will go on an adventure, and you’ll really fall for me then.”

                Hwang smirked, “have you already fallen for me?”

                Wooyoung shrugged. “I am attracted to power, but unlike most, it takes more than that to have me.”

                Reddened cheeks were answer enough. “Will I see you again soon?”

                “If your guards let me in.”

                “Well, I don’t expect you to sneak in, that’s-

                “Impossible? Don’t entice me with a challenge, Hwang.”

                He grinned, “I figured an official invitation would be suitable.”

                “I like the idea of sneaking in...”

                Hwang shrugged, “kiss me again and we’ll see.”

                “Would you tell your guards an intruder might come if I don’t?”

                Hwang smirked.

                Wooyoung stepped closer and rested his hand against his chest. “I really can’t.”

                “Then don’t sneak in.”

                “You make this really hard for me...”

                Hwang laughed.

                “Wooyoung?”

                He looked back and saw his mother. Well, his fun was now over.

                “Oh, your highness! My apologies.”

                Hwang waved it off and picked up his book, “Wooyoung and I were just talking about this tome here, time rituals and the alchemical formulae.”

                Wooyoung’s brow rose and Hwang shrugged.

                “My, my, that sounds complex…” His mother asked and gave him the look.

                “Time travel, astral synchronisation, implications for affecting the future,” Wooyoung affirmed. “Oh the wonders of what you could do…” He rambled on. “Home, mum?”

                She looked between them. “Yes...”

                “Thank you for your company, Jang.”

                Wooyoung halted and turned back. “Perhaps we can continue another time.”

                Hwang smiled, “I would like that.”

                Wooyoung bowed and followed after his mother. The instant they were in their carriage she cooed, “oh! My little Wooyoungie, for once I approve of your wandering.”

                He rolled his eyes. “Mum, you’re so-

                “Sly?”

                “It is an interesting book, the one he was reading.”

                “Oh stop...”

                “I’m serious...”

                “He was reading about time rituals instead attending the party with dignitaries from across the lands?”

                Wooyoung nodded.

                “I shouldn’t have bothered you then...”

                He laughed. Looking out the window he sighed, “I wonder if Junho is back yet?”

                “He said he would be. You have the two years of training coming up, remember?”

                “Not really convenient with this connection, mum.” He grumbled.

                “Well, be amazing and do it in a year then. I’m sure you’ll be able to visit and have visitors at some points during your time there. I have to see you, your my little boundless ball of cunning joy after all.”

                Astounded, he sat back, “you think I can?”

                She winked, “who knows. Training doesn’t start for a couple months.”

                “I have to wait and see what Junho says.”

                She cooed and hugged him close. “You two are so adorable!”

                As they pulled up to their house, Wooyoung raced ahead of her up the stairs and into his mage’s arms. “Mm! It’s so good to see you.” Wooyoung hugged him tightly and spun him around. “You won’t believe who I met today.”

                Junho groaned. “Who?”

                “The younger Prince Hwang.” His mother said as she strolled by and into the house.

                Junho looked at him surprised, “you serious?”

                Wooyoung nodded and bounded into the house. He came to his rooms and collapsed onto his bed. Hearing a sigh, he looked at Junho and found him troubled. “What?”

                “You’re smitten.” Junho huffed, obviously jealous.

                “Sorry Junho...” He said and reached out to him. “I love you most.”

                Junho blushed and looked away. “I don’t know what you’d do without me.” He said and slowly came to lay beside him.

                “Everything would fall to ruin.”

                Junho forced a pillow into his face and rolled away. Wooyoung caught him and hauled him close.

                “You know it’s true, Junho. If I didn’t have you, my life would be the absolute worst.”

                “Shut up...I’m alright with it.” He grumbled.

                “Really?”

                “Well, I don’t have a choice. We both know you have another bonded-

                Wooyoung kissed him deeply and held him closer. “I love you.”

                Junho blushed and snuggled closer to him. “I’m still jealous.”

                “I know...but having you be so understanding and honest…I couldn’t ask for a better partner or lover.” He nuzzled his neck and smoothed his hands under Junho’s shirt. “I missed you.”

                Junho sighed softly and looked back. “Tell me about him...”

                Wooyoung grinned.

 

* Memory End *

 

                Gasping awake, tears rolled down his face and his chest pained, although not from physical injuries. Before he realised what was happening, a gentle hand brushed at his cheeks and he found himself face to face with the mysterious man again. “You shouldn’t be wandering out around here.”

                “I...I have to find the prince...” He said and looked about. His mind was filled with his memories of Chansung and Junho. Chansung had seemed so different, so much more open. Junho...he missed him far, far, far too much. Hugging himself, he couldn’t stop the tears no matter how hard he tried. He wanted to be free of all this already. He wanted to be free of Helios and his schemes. He wanted Junho, Chansung, Nichkhun and Taecyeon safe. “Everything is so wrong...” He whispered. He felt something warm settle around his shoulders.

                “If you’re prone to fainting like that, I don’t understand why you’re up here alone.” He said as he pinned the small cloak together.

                Wooyoung leaned back against the tree. “It’s because of who I’m looking for.” He said looking over the mysterious man with more interest.

                “Well I can’t very well leave you out here to fend for yourself as ill-equipped as you are. You’re proving to be quite the burden. Follow me if you wish.” He said as he rose to his feet and turned away.

                Running his fingers over the soft material, for the first time in ages, he felt comfortable and not alone. Getting up, he ran after the man. They walked for a while, past trees like those with the rich red-purple leaves.

                “I always believed Elves loved beautiful, pale coloured things...”

                “Hm, not all Elves are pure and goodly,” the man chuckled in amusement. He led the way to a small staircase. Up they went, high into the trees again, until they came to a doorway adorned with elaborate lines inset with small green jewels. “Come in quickly, the snow will begin again soon.”

                As the door fell shut, little sprites bounced up immediately and spiraled around them. One lingered around his face and its little laughter jingled in his ears.

                “Yes, yes, we have a guest.” The masked man said and chucked his bag – most ungracefully – onto his table. He pulled out a small pouch and took up a little saucer. Little red berries tumbled down and they swarmed him. Hearing his laughter, elicited a very unexpected response from his body. “By the way, I should have asked your name, Revolutionist.” The little sprites gasped and twinkled, hiding behind him.

                Feeling the exhaustion from the past six days catching up with him, the room began to spin. “I...” He started and began to fall. Caught in strong arms, he felt a hand against his forehead. “I have to find him.”

                “Why do you have to be so stubborn?”

                “Because...he’s...” He closed his eyes tightly. “Because he’s important to me,” he said brokenly.

***

Next Chapter...The Prince of the Underworld