Ending the Artificial Dreams

The Prince of the Underworld

*

Ending the Artificial Dreams

*

           Wooyoung looked above. I’m near the mansion, Chansung. No reply came. Chansung? Groaning, Wooyoung carried on. Soon, he came to a familiar road and at the end of it, his old mansion. An unsettling air was about the place now. Wooyoung sensed a stronger barrier than he originally felt around it. Slowly coming to stand beside the Wolf, it looked up at him and gave a soft whine. “Well, I’m here. You may let down your barrier now.”

            The wolf ran off into the distance and looked back at him. Smiling, Wooyoung watched as it slowly and steadily ran off into the sky, running hard, and then the barrier shattered around them. He looked upon his old mansion. His mind raced with the memories of him and Nichkhun having to escape. This was the cycle. If he failed here it would begin all over again. He would leave the mansion with Nichkhun again and the dream would reset. Returning with Nichkhun felt surreal. He was beginning to feel more and more anxious.

            Wooyoung!

            I’m here.

            I know where you are. I’m coming.

            Chansung soon appeared with Junho and Taecyeon. They were all breathing hard and covered in injuries.

            “Are you all alright?”

            Taecyeon dropped to the ground and shook his head.

            “I’ll be back with the rest.” Chansung said.

            “We have to go underground.” Wooyoung looked at Nichkhun whose eyes were now glowing, “that way,” he said pointing to the basement doors. Slowly, Wooyoung made his way in the direction Nichkhun indicated and they were followed by the others. The air began to feel stickier and less welcoming. Lighting torches as they went, Wooyoung felt another presence within Nichkhun. It was familiar. Wooyoung’s stomach began to churn as they came to the ritual room. He knelt down and pressed his hand to the ground, “reveal.”

            The rune circles appeared and the room began to glow and flutter with magic.

            Hearing a pop and then the sound of someone retching, Wooyoung looked back to find Zahi keeled over with Sano at his side. Changmin was shoved down to the ground and Chansung wiped fresh blood from his cheek. “We don’t have time to waste anymore.”

            Wooyoung brought Nichkhun to the center and lay him down. Weary grey eyes looked up at him. “You did good, love. You stayed awake.”

            Nichkhun smiled, “you kept me warm.”

            Wooyoung brushed back his hair and then got to his feet. “Taecyeon, I want you to come and stay beside Nichkhun.”

            The wolf did so and took over holding Nichkhun’s hands. It was instantaneous, a pink hue graced Nichkhun’s cheeks. A little bit of life was given back to him.

            “Excellent; Sano and Zahi, you are in this circle.” He directed them.

            Restraining Changmin, Wooyoung dragged him over to where Helios had sat. “You can die all over again, you worthless trash.” He seethed.

            Hearing loud creaks and crashing noises, Wooyoung looked up as the ceiling burst open. Helios descended and gave him the most wretched stare. “You foil me again?”

            “Of course,” he said and prepared himself.

            “And what will you do when you wake from this dream? How will you wake from the first, if you even wake up?”

            Wooyoung shrugged, “I have an idea.”

            Before Helios could strike him, Chansung’s black threads tightened around Helios’ body. “You forget, Helios, I am here this time.”

            Wooyoung leapt out of the way as Helios was slammed into his place beside Changmin.

            “You accursed wretch!” Helios bellowed.

            “You and I have done this dance for far too long.” Wooyoung said as he walked down to Junho. “We are all gathered here, together, something I think you did not expect.” He said and stood with Junho in their circle. “You are outwitted once again.”

            “Taecyeon! How could you?!” When Taecyeon did not respond, Helios fumed even further and turned his attention back on him. “And what would you go back to, Wooyoung?! You want to return to that dismal thing you called a life? Come now, Wooyoung. What more could you want than a game within dreams where anything is possible. Where we can find out the truth-”

            “I am tired of your dreams – your nightmares.” Wooyoung said and he looked back at Chansung who nodded. “My life, my story, the lives of all those I have come to cherish...ruined, stolen, because of your greedy ambitions! All because you wanted a power you could never attain, and you tried to breed it, and you failed. So you trapped us, trying to find a way to get it, and that did not work either. Now here we are, and I am prepared to sacrifice everything to make sure you no longer exist.”

            “Wooyoung!”

            “We’re going back. This dream, this artificial life you have created and riddled with your insanity, will vanish. If it take my soul to make it happen, I will return us, and they will have their lives back.”

            “Don’t you know what you are saying?! All the work I’ve done the past two millennia, to be undone because you-”

            “Two millennia...” Wooyoung said with a bitter laugh. “None of this is real, Helios. I want the truth – reality.”

            “I can give you the truth!”

            “Wooyoung, Nichkhun is fading!” Taecyeon urged.

            “I no longer have the time to humour you, Helios. Throughout the entirety of this dream you have been stalling time, trying to imprison us forever in this desolate landscape – this nightmare, sending our souls to wander the cosmos forever.” He said and looked to Nichkhun. “Nichkhun, the choice is yours. You can wake us up...”

            “What do I...have to say?” He asked weakly.

            “Wooyoung!”

            “Repeat after me.” Wooyoung felt shivers race up and down his arms. It was beginning, finally.

            Nichkhun nodded weakly.

            “I, who have been placed within the center, which holds this dream together, call upon the deep magic: awaken and dispel this dream.”

            Nichkhun spoke as loudly and confidently as he could.

            The ground gave way, Helios screaming and attempting to break free. They began to fall. Lights shot up around them. Wooyoung turned his head as Junho’s grip on his hand tightened.

            “I’ll see you when we all wake, Wooyoung.”

            Looking up at Chansung, Wooyoung smiled. “I’ll make it right.” He promised.

            Chansung nodded and vanished. Slowly, they all succumbed to darkness.

 

            *

 

            Eyes snapping open, Wooyoung gasped for air. His body was sailing through nothingness. Feeling himself becoming stable, he felt hands upon his shoulders and he looked back to find his mother and his other self. They both smiled and then pushed him forwards, breaking through the wall. Wooyoung bolted into a seated position and inhaled desperately for air. Dispelling the rigour from his body, he rose to his feet and looked around the room. Hearing groans from all over, he turned his attention to where Helios sat. Stalking up to him, he drove his hand into his chest, waking him violently. “This ends now!” He seethed and released a toxic spell into his body, then retracted his hand. Covering him in restraints, he felt a weakness in his limbs from overexertion.

            Turning away he found Junho sitting up. “My head...” He murmured.

            “...” Nichkhun wheezed and rolled onto his side. “Why do I feel so cold still?”

            Wooyoung marched over to him and found the Frozen Heart syndrome still present. Hearing Helios chuckle behind him, Wooyoung narrowed his eyes. “What have you done, Helios?”

            “Oh nothing, just ensured that no matter what, you’ll lose them.”

            Wooyoung’s eyes shot up to Chansung. He broke his restraints and took him down. Resting a hand against his cheek, Wooyoung rested his hand over his mouth and felt the barest of breaths. “Chansung?” He asked softly. “Please wake up...”

            Slowly, his eyes opened. “W-Wooyoung...”

            “Zahi! I need your help!” He beckoned. Junho came to sit beside him.

            Zahi and Sano had finished restraining Kim before making their way over to him.

            “We’re still in a dream. We need to find the next ritual location.”

            Junho gripped his arm. “I...I think I may know where it is...”

            Wooyoung turned to him.

            “The house where...Helios made Nichkhun massacre the Hwang family.”

            “You’re sure?”

            Junho nodded, “there was a barrier over the house, and it makes sense. If Helios wasn’t having any luck getting access to Chansung or the power he was seeking, I’m sure that’s why he made Victor.”

            Wooyoung’s eyes shot up to his sacrificial pole and found it empty.

            “Victor would have had Chansung’s blood, but he was not an heir so he couldn’t enter. So, Helios attempted to recreate this in another world, to try a different approach, because you cannot change a dream’s make-up once it is activated. Only sages have the power to manipulate and change dreams. That’s why he continued to reset this one...and kept failing. Someone else protected the house...”

            The black wolf in the other dream popped into his mind. Wooyoung couldn’t help himself, he kissed Junho deeply, “my clever mage, I so love you.”

            “Well, we need to move quickly. If anyone here dies now, they won’t make it back.” Zahi said and began to draw a rune circle. “If we need to go to where the Hwangs were hidden, that is where we shall go. Since I’m back in my...er kinda old body, I can get us there quickly.”

            Wooyoung felt the fear creeping up within him. He didn’t know yet if it would work, but it just had to.

            Zahi took some of Chansung’s blood and completed the inside of the circle and a portal opened up.

            “Chansung would need to go first to allow everyone entry into the house. There’s still an intact barrier.” Junho informed.

            “What’ll happen if Helios crosses into the barrier though? Isn’t that where he was trying to go?” Sano asked.

            They all fell quiet and looked at one another. “I don’t think we have a choice, especially if the original dream ritual is in there.” Wooyoung said, “but, I’d rather make sure the ritual is inside before we bring him in.”

            “Alright...” Zahi said. “You go on ahead with Chansung and Junho.”

            Wooyoung nodded and both he and Junho carried Chansung through the portal. “Chansung, I need you to allow me access to the grounds.”

            Junho helped Chansung cross the barrier and Chansung did as asked. Wooyoung walked through slowly but retook up Chansung’s other side and they made their way into the house. Horrid memories sprung up in Wooyoung’s mind as they walked inside. Junho led them down into the basement and they came to a room untouched by time. Wooyoung looked over the marble floorings and the many paintings. “I...didn’t even know this room existed...”

            “Well, I imagine you were very busy with what happened here.” Junho said.

            Wooyoung nodded and they came to Chansung’s painting. “Vita paintings...” He murmured and Chansung leaned heavily against him. “Look, Chansung...even your painting shows you were hit with a memory curse...”

            “I know...” He murmured. “Junho told me...when we came.”

            Wooyoung smiled. “Well, I should find out if this is our spot, yes?” He knelt down and pressed both hands to the floor. “Reveal...” The relief he felt as seven circles appeared, similar in design to those from the second dream, was limitless. This was it. Once he took care of Helios here, he could bring them back to the real world.

            Laying Chansung down, Wooyoung looked over him but grabbed Junho’s hand before he made his way back up the stairs.

            “Wait, Junho.”

            “What’s wrong? We don’t-

            “I know, but this is important.” He said and brought Junho down beside him. “I don’t know if we will even wake from this, so please, give me a minute.” He said and Junho’s arm gripped his waist.

            “You silly man, you got us here didn’t you?” Junho asked quietly. “Have some faith in yourself.”

            Wooyoung swallowed hard and Chansung was looking at him with a questioning gaze. “I...I am nothing but a dream. My physical body, like yours, is gone.”

            A deafening silence fell between the three of them. Soon, Junho was holding him even tighter. “What do you mean? You feel real...” Junho said softly, desperately. “Are you trying to tell us we might make it out but not you?”

            “Yes.”

            Junho’s eyes widened and he gasped, “why? What have you hidden from us?”

            Wooyoung smiled and brought him closer. “I am the dream of my real self. However, I have to ensure that our plan is exacted no matter what.”

            “What is it? The vanquishing ritual?” Chansung asked.

            Wooyoung glanced at Chansung. “Yes.”

            “What about it?” Junho asked.

            Wooyoung relieved the envelope and tome from Min from his body. “Only if I don’t make it with you, you must do this for me. I may not remember anything, I may not even be myself. Helios can be used as payment to go back in time. You must use me to vanquish him in whatever form I take.”

            Junho pressed his face into his shoulder and gripped Wooyoung’s side so tightly is hurt.

            “Promise me, Junho.”

            “You’re asking me to kill you to destroy him...”

            “It may not need to happen.”

            “You’ve already decided...”

            “Yes.”

            “You’re so unfair.”

            “I want you to live your best life...”

            “It will never be if you’re not with me.”

            Wooyoung took his own turn in feeling deeply emotional. He knew this would be hard. “Believe me, my mage, my love.” He said and got him to look at him. “This is honestly just a precaution. You more than me have the power to ensure this happens.”

            “Don’t try and flatter me...”

            Wooyoung smiled, brushed away Junho’s tears, and kissed him hard. “Promise me, Junho.”

            Junho gripped his hand tightly. “I don’t like it...”

            “We don’t have the option now. Do not let that go, it’ll help. It’ll fix everything, I promise.”

            Never in his life did Wooyoung ever expect to be in this situation. It destroyed him.

            “I...I know why you’re doing this...” Junho said and then covered his mouth and looked away. “You...you better make it back with us!” He stood and hid the envelope and tome on his person. “You’re making it back with us.”

            Wooyoung smiled. That was as good as he was going to get. It was enough.

            “I’ve...set the barrier so that they can get in now.” Chansung said quietly.

            “Go up and get them, Junho.”

            Junho hesitated for only a second before he ran from them and up the stairs.

            “You’re not being fair to him.”

            “Quiet, I didn’t think your consciousness from the previous dream would come with us.”

            “Well...technically it was unlocked...” Chansung murmured. “You’ve started the awakening, Wooyoung. This means everything is coming to its conclusion.”

            Loud bangs resounded in the halls above.

            “I agree with him. I would never be able to use you in a ritual. You have to make it back with us, Wooyoung.”

            Wooyoung gripped his hand. “I said I would fix it, and this is the right path. Whether it is him or me doing the ritual matters not. Just one of us has to make it.” He turned to Chansung then and rested his hands over his chest. He murmured a small but complicated set of words, and Chansung gripped his wrists as some of his life force poured into him. He jolted into a seated position and gasped for breath.

            “Why did you-

            Wooyoung shook his head. “Stop asking me why questions...”

            “But they’re our favourite kind...”

            Wooyoung smiled sadly and held him close. “I hope we have better lives...”

            The door burst open and Zahi dragged Helios in. He was holding his side and breathing heavily. “This bastard is not going down easy let me tell you...”

            Wooyoung chuckled and waited until they were all in the room. He made his way over to Helios and knelt before him. “I know you’re not going to make this simple.” He said and raised his hands. Resting his fingers against Helios’s temples, Wooyoung stared into his eyes. Helios attempted to put up a mental defence, but the poison that Wooyoung had injected him with made him weak. Are you there, Marigold? Helios fought hard, but Wooyoung felt a hand upon his back. Turning, she smiled down at him quietly. Show me where everyone goes.

            Marigold led him to Chansung and indicated to his circle. She then brought him to Junho, and he did this for everyone until finally, Helios was kneeling in the center. This was it.

            This was really happening. He looked at everyone, and hoped with all his soul that this would work. Hands beginning to tremble he looked between Chansung and Junho. They both gave him reassuring smiles. They were so exhausted. ‘Please...please let them at least make it. Enough of this!’

            Marigold, you may release the dream.

            Helios’ hands dropped to his sides and his head fell back.

            I have been waiting a long time to see this moment come true. Let us see if we meet on the surface, Jang Wooyoung. She said and Wooyoung nodded.

            It was happening.

            Finally.

            “I, who have been placed with the center,” Helios began but he began to cringe and arch from fighting Marigold, “which hold this dream together, call upon the deep magic: awaken and dispel this dream.”

            The air began to shift. Red lightening began to dance across the floor and a warm sensation came over Wooyoung’s body. Then, everything collapsed. The ground gave way, the stone began to disintegrate, and loud crashing noises filled his ears. They were distended in the air. And then, they dropped, and descended through a wall. Wooyoung felt the last of the dream magic beginning to leave him. He looked over Junho’s and Chansung’s faces.

            “Please...” He said desperately as they raced upwards. “Let us be free.”

 

            *

 

            There was a ringing in his ears. His limbs, his chest, his neck, his hands, his feet, everything felt stiff. Slowly coming to open his eyes, Wooyoung inhaled deeply, and it burned. Oh, did it burn. Gasping for more and more air, he clawed at the ground, and found cool stone. Opening his eyes, everything was a blur. His eyes felt so dry. His heart was thudding madly in his chest and his vision was spinning. He didn’t know how long he lay there, trying to grasp his senses and reality, but when he finally managed it, a wondrous and fulfilling energy burst within his chest. Slowly rising up, he looked around. The others were here, some of them moving in the manner he was, and it truly, truly excited him. He could feel his joints clicking and his muscles straining from under the movements he was making. His attention snapped to the center and his eyes widened. Helios sat there, but frail and with leathery skin. His hair was white as snow and his face looked gaunt, almost like he was dead. His soul was diminishing. Near him, as he thought she might be, knelt Marigold. She too was beginning to move.

            Hearing coughing beside him, Wooyoung dragged himself over to Junho and rolled him onto his back.  Checking his pulse, he cradled Junho’s head after feeling it faintly.

            “W-Wooyoung...” Junho wheezed and looked up at him.

            “Hello my mage.”

            Junho held up the envelope. “Here...” He said and looked into Wooyoung’s eyes.

            “Thank you.” Wooyoung said. “We need strength first to do it right.”

            “You’re here...” Junho’s hand slowly reached up and frail fingers brushed into Wooyoung’s hair. “Did we really make it?”

            “You test for dreams better than I.”

            Junho rested his palm upon the ground and shimmering golden ripples started from his palm and dissipated into nothing. Tears appeared in his eyes, “we made it...”

            Wooyoung smiled and kissed his palm, and then his lips, “we made it.”

            “We’re in the real world.” Junho gasped.

            “We are. I promised didn’t I?”

            Junho nodded and pulled him down, “Wooyoung, I feel terrible.”

            Laughing, Wooyoung brushed their noses together, “I do too.”

            “Where’s Chansung? Nichkhun?”

            Wooyoung looked up and found Chansung staring upwards looking at his hands. He looked beyond thin. “Chansung...”

            Watching him sit up, Chansung managed to also surprisingly get to his feet and look around. “We’re really here.” He walked haphazardly to the vita painting lining the walls. They were no longer shrouded in darkness. The door burst open then and people rushed inside.

            “Oi, they’re awake!”

            Wooyoung looked back and noticed people racing towards them with blankets and water.

            “...”

            Looking over at Nichkhun, Wooyoung grinned. They had done it. Collapsing with Junho, Wooyoung held him close as his love began to cry even harder.

            “I’m surprised you can even shed tears. I feel like a piece of dried up old piece of wood.” Chansung said as he came to sit beside them.

            “I’m surprised you can move.” Wooyoung slapped his knee.

            “I am the prince of Inferna.”

            “Chansung! My son!”

            Feeling hands in his hair, Wooyoung looked up and found the face of his own mother. “Mom...”

            She sniffled and then took him and Junho into her arms, and pulled Chansung in too. “We have you back!”

            “Madam Jang, let me have my son!”

            Wooyoung felt energy being shared with both him and Junho. He was beyond tired. “What about Helios?”

            “He can’t harm you. Marigold and Queen Hwang have made it so he can do nothing anymore.” His mother assured and kissed his forehead, and then Junho’s. “Ah, my little ones.”

            “Mom!”

            “Quiet, let me love you. I just got you back.” She sobbed and held them tighter. “I have you.”

            Wooyoung smiled and then found Junho sound asleep.

            “It took us twenty years...it must feel like it has been ages.” She said. “I’m so sorry!”

            Wooyoung shook his head, “we’re back.”

*

A/N: There's going to be another delay for the next couple chapters. I'm almost done my second last semester of my Masters so don't have time to fit in writing as much. Hopefully sooner than later though! Hope you enjoyed :)