Residues of the Dream

The Prince of the Underworld

A/N: Sorry this took so long. I knew end of term was going to be super hectic and stressful but it was more. A little bit more drama and more back story. Hope you enjoy!

Chansung's POV

*

                Chansung felt like he had been asleep for eons. Ever since waking, sleep never came to him once. He was restless. He could feel so many things, energies he had not felt in a long time, auras, and most importantly: the deep magic. It was as if some seal had been relieved of him and everything felt limitless. Wooyoung and Junho were different, however; Wooyoung especially because he had overexerted himself to bring them back to reality. And, Chansung was most worried for Wooyoung. Chansung had never felt or seen anything like him before in his life. Perhaps it was because they had been taken to a dream, but everything just seemed...different. Strange. Something beyond.

                The days following their awakening Madam Jang assured him Wooyoung and Junho would be fine. Wooyoung and Junho were most usually resting together, and Chansung tried to join them but he could never quiet his mind. Sometimes Wooyoung would awake in a cold sweat; memories of different kinds came to him. Chansung often comforted him and lulled him back to rest. He could feel the exhaustion in both them slowly ebbing away. Yet, he could not sleep.

                There were times he felt his own core absorbing large quantities of energy. It was almost as if he was a sponge. He didn’t understand what was happening, but he became grateful for it. The third night after they had awakened Chansung felt that something was strongly amiss; he felt it deep within him. Wooyoung sat up beside him immediately and looked at his palms. “Something is wrong...” Wooyoung said tiredly.

                “Where?”

                Wooyoung’s eyes flickered a strange colour, “cold...Nichkhun maybe.”

                Chansung pressed down on his shoulder as Wooyoung made to rise. “I know you’re tired. Let me handle it.”

                Wooyoung let himself be pressed back down onto the bed. “But I want to go...”

                Chansung leaned down and kissed him tenderly, “I know, but it would be best for you to keep resting.”

                “If it’s him...please...” Wooyoung gripped his hand. “Not him...”

                “Shh, I’ll let you know.” He said and reached over to Junho as well who made to speak. “Rest, neither of you can help in your condition.”

                Rising up, Chansung vanished to the lower floors and found Madam Jang slipping on a coat.

                “Oh, what’s wrong, Chansung?” She asked.

                “You felt it too. I’m coming with you.” Chansung said.

                She paused but gave him a curt nod, “alright. You’re better at travel, focus on what you’re feeling and it’ll take us there.” Madam Jang held out her hand and he grasped it tightly.

They flashed out of existence and reappeared in the lower dungeons of Inferna. It was almost as if they had descended into the dead of winter. Their breath was visible as they walked swiftly. They stopped abruptly when they came upon a figure at a wall. Ice was encroaching up the walls.

                “...” Madam Jang hissed and made to move forward.

                “Be still, Madam. I will take care of this.”

                Both turned and watched Marigold walk forward. Madam Jang and Chansung followed behind her silently.

                “Prince Horvejkul, may I ask why you have come?”

                Chansung’s stomach dropped as Nichkhun turned to face them. His eyes were bluer than the sky, lips a scary shade of purple, and his skin was paler than snow.

                “I felt a beckoning.”

                “From within the chamber?” Marigold asked.

                “Yes.”

                “Where is Taecyeon?”

                Nichkhun’s head twitched and he looked passed them. “I...don’t know. A woman came. She spoke strange words. Someone else was there, too.”

                “You look cold, my dear. Why don’t we go and have some tea?”

                “But he beckons me. He said he would be able to make the cold stop.” Nichkhun said and held up his hands. They were blue and purplish now.

                “I thought the syndrome was gone.” Chansung hissed.

                “Clearly not, and none of us sensed it was within him still.” Madam Jang said. “Your highness, come away now, he cannot help you. He was the one who cursed you, remember?”

                Nichkhun gripped his temples and began to tremble. “No...he wasn’t.”

                Chansung felt fear rise within him. He didn’t know if it was possible to heal someone this afflicted with Frozen Heart Syndrome to this extent.

                “My dear Madam, would you do me a favour?” Marigold asked.

                “Yes love.”

                “Retrieve the cub, if he does not come soon...I fear Nichkhun will surely die.” Marigold said.

                “I will come with you.” Chansung offered.

                “Yes, that would be best.” Madam Jang said and grasped his hand again.

                Chansung sensed for Taecyeon. Something was definitely wrong.

                “You feel it too, don’t you? Volatile magic...”

                “Yes.” Finally pinpointing Taecyeon’s energy, Chansung vanished them and they came to a large shrine. “What is this place?”

                A heavy energy descended around the area and it made Chansung’s skin crawl.

                Madam Jang kept a firm grip on Chansung’s hand and pulled him behind her. “I know your work anywhere, Arenna. It has been a long time since I have seen you. How could you have fallen to Helios’ clutches?”

                A woman Chansung had never seen before appeared in front of them. It took everything in him to not move as Taecyeon was forced to his knees beside her by a man he thought had only been a dream: Toren. He smiled scathingly at him.

                Chansung?

                Northern Witches and someone else I did not expect, he communicated with venom. Your mother and I should be okay. He assured. Wooyoung and Junho wouldn’t be able to help in their condition. “Are you the one who originally cast Frozen Heart upon Nichkhun?” He asked.

                Junho and I will send protective magic.

                “That man...” Arenna hissed, “He promised me power.” She spat. “I helped him with his absurd dream and now, well, here we are.”

                Send it to Taecyeon, Wooyoung. He desperately needs it.

                “Why did you ever think Helios of all people would give you anything, you fool?” Madam Jang chuckled. “That is not the Arenna I know.”

                “Oh be quiet, Jang. You can only say that because of your lineage and your bonds.” The Witch hissed. “I may have made the wrong choice for allegiance, but I still believe in his vision. The Deep Magic is attainable.”

                Madam Jang scoffed, “you are more foolish than I remember. Didn’t the Witch Queen make it clear, Arenna? You can never contain the Deep Magic. It cannot be something you control.”

                “Of all people, you are telling me this? After what you and Marigold accomplished, you tell me I cannot contain it?!”

                Chansung made to deflect the volley of magic Arenna shot at them, but Madam Jang moved quicker.

                “That isn’t very nice, especially since my dear son is accompanying me and he’s been through a trial because of you and Helios.” She said calmly. Chansung felt as light as a feather and very proud. “Now why don’t you hand over Taecyeon so we can be on our way.”

                “You’re a fool if you think I’m going to just let you take him.”

                “Chansung?”

                “Yes?”

                “I want you to take him back to Nichkhun.”

                “I’m not going to leave you alone.” He said firmly.

                She smiled at him, “you’re so sweet. However, Nichkhun needs him and you can travel much quicker than I, my dear.”

                “How dare you speak as if you have already won, Jang.”

                “If you were at full strength Helios would have already been freed. You were foolish enough to try and go through Nichkhun and Taecyeon. Now you’re just causing unnecessary pain, which I will not tolerate.”  

                “Not tolerate...you belittle me so-

                A violent flash of light hit Toren first, and then Taecyeon was colliding with Chansung’s body. He almost toppled to the ground but righted himself and the Wolf before looking up to find a large orb swirling before him. It was a vivid purple with flickers of silver and green. Hoisting Taecyeon up, he didn’t stare for long. Whatever Madam Jang was, she was powerful and angry. He didn’t want to get in the way of her fury.

                Beginning to transport them, he focused back on Nichkhun and made to leapt them there. Only, a strange dizziness came over him and he was being forced into the ground. A wild smell overwhelmed his senses and claws pressed into his neck.

                “Don’t move, your highness, I do not wish to harm you.”

                “What did you do to me?” Chansung hissed.

                “Please remain still.”

                Chansung blasted the Wolf away and looked around. He was surrounded. “Where is he?” He asked darkly.

                “With his father.”

                “Are you working with the Witches?” His vision was hazy and he felt overwhelmingly nauseous.

                “Alpha only wanted his son back!”

                Chansung almost scoffed, but then he began to shiver and felt like throwing up. He didn’t want to do it but he called for help. Wooyoung, I need you.

                The air shifted beside him and a gentle hand touched his shoulder. “Why are you in Wolf country?” Wooyoung asked softly.

                Whatever was inside Chansung’s body was getting worse. “I...I was taking Taecyeon back to Nichkhun. The Wolves intercepted me with the aid of Witches.” Chansung informed shakily.

                “You dare interfere with the Prince of Inferna whom you formed relations with to protect?” Wooyoung spoke clearly with confidence.

                Growls came from all around. “Our bond with our pack is based on blood, nothing compares.”

                “Who saved you from the Elves when no one else would? You should be ashamed of your actions.”

                “Ok Taecyeon is with his father, your highness.” A gentle voice came.

                Both looked over at a tawny Wolf. Wooyoung pulled whatever was inside Chansung and banished it.

                “Please, if you do not tell me where his partner will not survive this night.” Chansung pleaded, finally gaining his bearings.

                “I will take you.” A female Wolf came forward. “Come with me.”

                “You traitor! You dare go against the clans?”

                “Asides from the pact we made with the Hwangs over a thousand years ago, Jang and Prince Hwang stopped Helios, along with their mothers. You dare keep them from saving their dear friend, to preserve blood ties which could have been destroyed?” She growled and snapped her fangs. “Keep out of my sight.” She huffed and then motioned for them to follow her.

                Walking side by side, Chansung looked down at Wooyoung. “Sorry I called you away.”

                Wooyoung took his hand, “Junho is with Marigold and Nichkhun. I have to bring them together. It’ll be the only way I feel I have repented for everything I’ve done to Nichkhun.”

                Healing magic began to fill Chansung. Whatever remaining dizziness he was experiencing slowly began to ebb away until his mind was clear. “How deeply would the Syndrome have to have been buried that no one sensed it?”

                “Very deep,” Wooyoung answered gravely. “It was a poor assumption that the curse was entirely gone. Helios really is trying to kill him...” Chansung was tugged closer to Wooyoung and brought down to eye level. “You’re tired, my love. No matter how restless you might feel. You’re as exhausted as Junho and I. You just don’t realise it.”

                Chansung closed his eyes as Wooyoung kissed him deeply.

                “I bet you feel like a lot of energy has come your way...” He whispered. “But that’s just how much you lost, idiot.”

                “I’ve been restless...”

                Wooyoung gripped his hand and pulled him along. “When this is over you are going to rest.”

                They came to a clearing and found Taecyeon in Wolf form, baring his teeth at his father. He looked very rundown. His father was in similar condition, and breathing just as heavily. Blood splatters covered the snow. This was not good. This would only make Nichkhun’s affliction worse.

                “Leader, prince Hwang and Jang Wooyoung are here.”

                “We are busy!”

                “Leader, I plead with you,” Wooyoung said boldly, “let Ok Taecyeon come with us. If you do not, prince Horvejkul will die.”

                Taecyeon growled, “do you see! You took me from him when he needed me most!”

                “Your place is here!”

                “My place is at his side!” Taecyeon bit back. “I need to leave!”

                “If you leave, you will never be able to run for pack leader. You are my flesh and blood, Taecyeon!”

                Taecyeon bowed his head and then shook it, “my place is at Nichkhun’s side. One day...one day perhaps you will understand. I cannot succeed you, father. There are others who can and who would do much better than I.”

                “You will be nothing but a dog – chained and used for what?”

                “You are wrong!” Taecyeon bellowed, back in human form. “I will prove you wrong. If my leaving now means you exile me from the pack, then so be it. I thought you were more understanding, father.” Taecyeon turned to them and Chansung held out his hand. Without waiting for a reply, Taecyeon met his gaze. “Let’s go.”

                Chansung nodded.

                 “Taecyeon! You cannot mate with him-

                 “I already started the process. If you...” Taecyeon’s grip on Chansung’s hand was growing tighter. “If he dies, I will return, and I will finish you.” He swore.

                Before another word could be said, Chansung wound his arm tightly around Wooyoung’s waist and he warped them back to the Inferna palace. Nichkhun was encased in magic.

                “Come, Taecyeon, only you can bring him back now.” Marigold beckoned.

                Chansung relieved his hand from Taecyeon’s and he watched him walk forward. Despite his relation with Taecyeon in the Dream being nothing but artificial, he did care very deeply for the Wolf. In many ways it was the same for Nichkhun. He wanted them to be happy. Wooyoung slumped against him and Junho appeared at his side. “Get back home and rest.” He said to them both. “You’ve done all you can.”

                Wooyoung didn’t put up a fight. Junho embraced him and looked up at him and said softly, “You better come home soon...be safe.”

                Chansung’s chest tightened and he smiled, “I will.”

                Wooyoung had the most blissful expression on his face. He made to speak but Chansung shook his head. They vanished and he turned back to the scene before him. Marigold was speaking to Taecyeon quietly and weaving magic gently. Chansung had never witnessed magic like this before. He could feel it even where he stood just how gentle yet powerful it was, and it made him feel small. Soon, she stood up and took a few steps back until she was side by side with him.

                “Would you do me a favour, Chansung?”

                “Yes...”

                “I know Madam Jang is powerful, but please return to her and assist her if she lets you. I would let you watch over Nichkhun and Taecyeon but this is a very precarious situation.” She voiced, never taking her eyes off of Taecyeon and Nichkhun.

                Not needing anything more said, he brought himself back to the shrine. The damage winded him. The shrine was broken into pieces. He noticed a still form off to his right and he made his way over. Large volleys of magic were being passed beyond his sight. Realising it was Toren, Chansung steeled himself as he came to kneel beside him.

                “What monsters exist...in this world...” He muttered. “It was foolish from the start.”

                “What was?”

                “Trying to contain...deep magic,” he wheezed. Cracks began to form all along his skin, slowly breaking away into nothing but dust. “He’s a dream too, Hwang. Eventually...this will be his fate.”

                Tensing, Chansung clenched his fists tightly. “Well, considering this was all Helios’ plan I guess we both know who we can blame for this, don’t we?”

                “You don’t know,” Toren laughed. “You don’t know anything do you? You don’t know...what they are, do you? Marigold, Arenna, Jang...the Jang brat, even Junho, and...even yourself. If only you understood...you would know why we fought so hard.”

                “If I do not know, then my past lives and whatever led to my being born intended me to find out if that is in my destiny.” He said calmly. “Unlike you, I seek answers without needless destruction. Imagine what could have been if you had only formed partnerships with us instead, huh?”

                “I don’t want your pity. We did what we thought was right.” Toren said, growing quieter and quieter. “Maybe in another life...Hwang.”

                Chansung watched until nothing was left, “maybe, but I hope for your sake we do not meet again.”

                Walking with steady pace to the place where the sounds of destruction had once been, Chansung only saw a dark orb, similar to the one he had seen before departing with Taecyeon. Coming closer and closer, Arenna dropped out of it, covered in blood. The orb dispersed and Madam Jang stood there with strange markings lining her arms, neck and face. Her eyes, normally a soft amber, were vivid purple, and they turned to him.

                Instantly, she reverted back and collapsed to the ground. Coming to her side, heat barreled off of her body in waves. “Are you okay?” He asked.

                “Give me some space.” She said warningly, but with concern. “I figured you would be the first to see me like this...”

                Chansung had so many questions for her but didn’t know if he would ever have the courage to voice them. “Marigold was worried about you.”

                Madam Jang laughed and then created a cloak. “My dear, would you be so kind as to take us away from here?”

                “Of course,” Chansung said and helped her with her cloak. “I feel like I was pretty useless...”

                “Nonsense, you got them back together.” Madam Jang said and cupped his face. “You survived twenty human years in a dreamscape, you’re only days out of it, yet here you stand. I didn’t want to put the burden of a fight on you.”

                “You’re very important to me, Madam Jang. You’ve been more of a mother to me...than my own at times.”

                “She is quite queenly isn’t she?” She chuckled.

                Chansung couldn’t help but share his own laugh, “she is...shall we go?”

                “Oh yes.”

                Back at the palace, Chansung found a more heartwarming scene. Taecyeon had Nichkhun in his arms while Marigold spoke to him. His eyes were glowing with the same shine Wooyoung’s did whenever something associated with their bond was happening.

                “I knew you would have done everything on your own.” Marigold said.

                Madam Jang shrugged, “I had to relieve some anger.”

                “Everything okay?” Chansung asked and Taecyeon nodded.

                “Yes, I’m really grateful to you all. I don’t know what I would have done.”

                “I’m going to keep them with me for about two days.” Marigold informed. “I told the Queen that I would take responsibility for this attack.”

                “Marigold-

                “There’s enough time.” Marigold interrupted Madam Jang. “I need to make amends in whatever way I can. If that means taking the responsibility for this to settle the tensions between Inferna and Baxkos just a little, I will. It is time to undo what Helios has done.”

                “Is there any worth to me visiting the Witch Queen?” Madam Jang offered.

                “She has already approached Queen Hwang. They need to form connections on their own.”

                A very intense look passed between Madam Jang and Marigold before Wooyoung’s mother finally turned to him. “Shall we head home?”

                “Do you require transport, Marigold?”

                “Oh no, I think we’ll be okay. Head home to your loves.”

                “Thank you, Chansung.” Taecyeon said quietly. It was so strange to hear him speak this way.

                “Until you are well,” He said back.

                Taecyeon gave him a curt nod.

                “You, Nichkhun and I will always be more than friends. I hope you know that.” He said and held out his hand to Madam Jang.

                “I do, and I know Nichkhun does.”

                “When we are all in good health I promise Inferna will be more open to forming relations. Tell Nichkhun that.”

                “That means a lot.”

                “Ready, Madam Jang?” Chansung asked.

                “When are you going to call me mom anyway?” She scoffed.

                Chansung smiled, “Is that what you want?”

                “Ooo, you and your way with words, cut it out!” Madam Jang smacked his arm, very reminiscent of the way Wooyoung did sometimes. “Let’s go home, dear.”

                Back at the Jang household, Madam Jang bid him goodnight and went towards the north wing. He watched her until she was out of sight. She felt so frail. There were things she wanted to say to Marigold, which meant their relationship went far deeper than just friends. Making his way back up to Wooyoung’s bedroom, he found them both curled up together. Junho awoke as he came to lay behind Wooyoung.

                “Is everything alright?” Junho asked.

                “For now, Nichkhun and Taecyeon are with Marigold.”

                Wooyoung shot up then, “where’d my mother go?”

                “Here I thought you were sleeping.” Chansung chuckled. “The north wing.”

                Wooyoung vanished, leaving Junho and Chansung alone.

                “You need rest...”

                “I don’t feel tired.”

                Junho frowned slightly but didn’t press. “I trust Marigold more than I did before.”

                Chansung met Junho’s eyes. So wonderfully green.

                “I really thought that he was going to die.” Junho murmured and brushed his hand over the bed where Wooyoung once lay.

                “The affliction would have had to have been cast here in the real world, wouldn’t it?” Chansung asked as he gripped Junho’s hand.

                Junho tensed for a short while but slowly relaxed. “Yes, and considering the curse was as deep as it was, it is likely that it was cast after the dream was cast. Things move slower when you’re asleep. The curse probably buried deep and then was set into motion when we were nearing the end.” Junho said and then he was touching Chansung’s face.

                “Were you worried about me?”

                Junho continued to trail his fingers over Chansung’s skin and then he sat up. “Of course I worry about you.”

                Chansung brought Junho closer to him and finally closed his eyes. “I guess I do feel a bit tired.”

                “What would make you feel like you could sleep, Chansung?”

                “I...I don’t know.” He said honestly. “Nothing really takes away the fear that if I go sleep...I won’t wake up. The dream will be back.”

                Junho’s soft chuckle had him looking up. “Something about you being afraid makes you so much more endearing.”

                Chansung frowned slightly, “why?”

                “Because...you always seem so invincible.” Junho said as he slowly came to lie down beside him. “I know you in a different way than Wooyoung does, Chansung.” He said as he trailed his fingers over Chansung’s skin. “My love for you grew in a different way. It has let me see things about you, ones I know Wooyoung also knows about, but we understand them differently.”

                “Oh?”

                Junho nodded, “you don’t have to be afraid to tell us when you’re scared.”

                A strange emotion overcame Chansung then. Between Wooyoung and Junho, he didn’t expect this from the mage. He didn’t know what to say because it would mean admitting what he wasn’t ready to say yet. “I think you’d be the only one to understand my real fear.”

                “I know...” Junho said and let Chansung cup his face. “I don’t want to lose him either...”

                Junho always had such courage, to say the most vulnerable things, and to speak the words Chansung so desperately wanted to say. “I thought I could handle it, for some reason. I know we don’t have a choice...but I’m scared of what might happen.”

                “Did something happen?”

                Toren beginning to disintegrate flickered through his mind.

 

                “He’s a dream too, Hwang. Eventually...this will be his fate.”

 

                “It’s almost as if we lost him in that dream...” Chansung whispered. “But it feels like he is here with us. Wooyoung is here.”

                Junho slowly leaned down and brought their foreheads together. “Wooyoung is here.”

                Chansung felt all his walls crumbling then, the pain, the exhaustion, the truth; it came at him all at once. “I don’t want to feel like this.”

                “I know.” Junho said, keeping him. “You’re the only one who understands...how much this all hurts.”

                Chansung looked up into those beautiful green eyes, now filled with an immense sadness. Junho slowly came to curl and lay against him.

                “We should be happy to be out of the dream...but I just...I can’t.” Junho said brokenly.

                “We’ll make it, Junho.” He said, but he wasn’t sure he believed it himself. No more words passed between them. It was a while before he felt a familiar pair of arms bringing them both close.

                “Rest.” Wooyoung said.

                It was instantaneous. Chansung felt so heavy, so tired.

                “I love you both, so very much.”

                Chansung heard Junho mumbled something of the like back, and he was sure he did too. Curse Wooyoung for being so comforting and lulling them to sleep. But Chansung was far too comfortable and finally felt safe. He couldn’t resist. He fell into a deep, restful slumber.

*

Next Chapter will be Nichkhun and Taecyeon :)