Prologue: Waking in the New World

The Prince of the Underworld

*

                Someone was panting heavily. Mixed feelings coursed through his veins: fear, anger, confusion, and pain. Where was he? He could hear voices.

                “What’s happening to you, Helios?” He knew that voice: Zahi.

                “Nothing! I’ve just been straining myself...” The man he had hated for centuries answered.

                There was heat, the sounds of clashing blades. He began to breathe heavily. Dozens of yelling voices caused anxiety to well up inside him. He needed to wake up!

                “Be still, you do not need to wake yet.” A kind voice said to him and it felt as if someone was pushing him back.

                “Lady Hwang!”

                “Save my family! If he catches any of us we’ll be finished!”

                He needed to see - no matter the warmth surrounding him, or the soothing brush of fingers through his hair. He opened his eyes.

                It was chaos. Platoons of soldiers were marching in front of him. The battlefield was shielded with smoke, but he could hear weapons colliding in the distance. He was back in time, back during a war between two different peoples he did not recognise.

                “Wooyoung!”

                He turned immediately. White light flared across his vision and he was sailing back. He lost consciousness.

                “Damn, this is becoming insane!”

                “You need to get back behind our defence line. Wooyoung!”

                Then it all stopped.        

                Kneeling now, a warm wind swirled around him. Opening his eyes, he was seated in a dark place, but then, the darkness ripped away and he found himself staring at a familiar sight: the kingdom under the rule of the Horvejkul. Why would he be seeing this during a Dream Ritual? Helios’ words came to mind.

 

                “Did you tell them the truth about Nichkhun’s lineage yet?”

 

                “Oh, I felt something was amiss.” The familiar voice called out softly. “First you enrapture my attention during my run away from bandits and the Hunter Guard, proceed to then break into the inner chambers of the castle, followed by cross-dressing and posing as a woman to not only build business relations with my family, but, get close to me. Now here you sit upon my balcony like some watchful guardian. Your persistence is becoming quite...charming – in a weird way.”

                “It...is the only way I can keep watch over you...” Wooyoung couldn’t help but smile. He remembered those words so vividly. He turned and found his First dressed in a night gown as he came to lean against the railing beside him. “Did I wake you?” He asked.

                “No...you know I haven’t been resting well.” Nichkhun murmured and his gaze became downcast. “Tell me, Jang Wooyoung...” Nichkhun closed his eyes. “What’s it like to be out in the free world, to be away from captivity?”

                Wooyoung let the question roll over his very being. Nichkhun sounded exactly the way he remembered. The Dream Ritual seemed to revolve around his First, or at least a significant part of it did – which didn’t make sense since there were 5 sacrifices, he would need to ponder on it.

                “Amazing,” he finally replied.

                As Nichkhun had begun to reply, it was as if everything went mute and the dark threads of his insanity wove themselves across his vision. He began to heat up, a rage that wasn’t his bellowed within him. The deafening silence made him curl up and cover his eyes. The chaos within him was going to be unstable again. But, as soon as it came, a calm soothed over him and he felt like he was floating towards something. Then, he was once again surrounded in warmth. His head cushioned by silk, the hand once again smoothed through his hair and a soft melody graced his ears. Slowly opening his eyes, he wanted nothing more than to snuggle closer. Why did he feel so content and safe right here? He knew everything was going wrong but he wanted nothing more than to remain where he was, and never move.

                A soft chuckle graced his ears the melody ceasing. “Oh, as cute as you are, and as much as I would love to see you remain this way, won’t you let me see you? I have always wondered what you would be like after all...” She said. She...

                A tremor of realisation jolted his body into a seated position. Finding no one there, his chest tightened. He knew he had heard her. Rising to his feet, he heard a soft humming noise and found another figure, seated behind him, in the center of a rune circle. He had midnight black hair which flowed loose about their shoulders, his complexion a mirror of his own and mischievous brown eyes to match. His words stolen from him he clenched his fists tightly. His body began to shake and he hesitated to move forward. “How...is this possible?” He asked, terrified to hear the real answer.

                The man who sat in the middle of the rune circle, rose up, and stood at the exact same height. He swore clothes of green and black, but his feet were bare, and no weapon adorned his body. But, what truly surprised him, was the uncanny resemblance between them. He was looking upon himself.

                “You...are me?”

                “Well, I suppose so.” He chuckled and rested a hand against the invisible barrier, probably created by the rune circle. “I didn’t think I would be able to do this...”

                Wooyoung glanced from his reflection the world surrounding them. “Who was she?”

                His double shrugged, “she can tell you when she is ready.”

                Taken aback, Wooyoung turned away and began to pace. He’d never encountered this before in his life, seeing a double of himself. “I’m at the bridge between reality and a dream and I encounter someone who looks exactly like myself so I encourage you not to speak in riddles or a roundabout way.”

                “I agree, and I wouldn’t want to, not with how important it is to finally meet you.” He said and smiled.

                “Who are you?”

                “I am you...but the foundation of who we are.” He said and closed his eyes.

                His voice was so much like his, down to his mannerisms and even his smile.

                “What is your earliest memory?”

                Stunned by the question, Wooyoung thought back. “Pain...darkness...waking up confined to a madman.”

                He nodded and leaned back against the barrier. “Do you know how you came to be in Helios’ possession?”

                “He stole me away from my mother, and killed her.” His eyes strayed back to where he knew he felt her fingers in his hair. “However...something tells me that isn’t exactly true...”

                “Well, he did steal you away, along with everyone else we were connected with. We were linked with who Helios wanted, and he sought to control us.”

                “How do I know this is real and not some trap designed by Helios?”

                He reached into his robes and pulled out a pendant. It was sparking with magic. “Do you recognise this?”

                Wooyoung felt his head beginning to hurt. Memories, he thought, rose within him, but remained blurred. “It triggers something within me.”

                “It is because of this that I am here right now. We are running out of time. Your memories of the past were erased, and this was the only way I could get in touch with you. Helios has taken you to another level of sub-consciousness, he is that desperate now.” His double explained.

                “Sub-consciousness..?

                “Yes...” He said softly and folded his arms across his chest. “It does not surprise me you believe our mother is dead, it is all you’ve been let believe all these millennia. Do you remember your homeland?”

                Wooyoung stood upright. “A land beyond a desert-

                “You can’t remember.”

                Clenching his teeth, he walked up to the box. “I could dissolve this.”

                “I know you won’t, because we are one and the same.” He said calmly. “Have you ever wondered why the ‘immortals’ inside you only act up every 400 years?”

                Wooyoung recalled the memories of pain, the way his Wolf and the many beings inside of him would lose all sense, and the madness. “It’s because I’m a creation.”

                It was hinted, but he saw the amusement on his face. And then, he was outright laughing. “Ah, have we become so pathetic, you and I? Look at us, barely able to keep those we love safe, and we can’t even keep ourselves in control because of the lies of one, power hungry man.”

                Wooyoung stumbled back. This was definitely him. He didn’t know how he was sure, but the way his eyes were so listless, and the look in his eye told him he was exactly who he said. “Tell me...”

                “You are not a creation, or at least, the part of you that is a part of me isn’t.” He said and sat down and crossed his legs. “I’ve been waiting so long to finally meet you, the one who has persevered in this false reality.” He looked up at him, eyes different colours.

                “Then, what am I and why is this a false reality?”

                “You were once from Inferna.”

                Wooyoung’s breath caught in his throat.

                “You...” He said softly. “You have been trapped in an endless dream ritual.”

                Shocked by his words, Wooyoung slammed his hand against the barrier. “We both know it’s impossible to be within a dream ritual for this long!”

                “Not if you are immortal...” He said and began to comb his hands through his hair. “It feels like whole lifetimes have passed, yes, but Helios has made it so that the dream continues, and resets when it does not go in his favour. The cycle seems to go through 400-year dream cycles. In that time, you feel you have been tortured, as the earliest dream has made you believe, and he’s taken parts of our past lives, and inserted them to make this all seem believable.” He explained and began to braid his hair. “I separated into two parts so that I could work towards finding out how to stop the dream and ways fo obliterate Helios completely. In that time, your memories have been erased over and over, and the same events have transpired again and again. You dream of intendeds, because Helios wants to find them. Each one you woo in some fashion. Nichkhun, the Baxkos – or Hunter’s prince; Junho, the mage; Chansung, whose past is also dark; and Taecyeon, who was a Wolf long before you got to him.”

                Wooyoung collapsed before him. “I’ve only wanted to protect them from Helios.”

                “And you did, over and over, defeating Helios’ schemes again and again, forcing his hand. You protected them, up until he reset the dream and began the endless cycle of pain again.” He said and leaned forward, pain in his eyes much too truthful.

                “But...what I’ve been doing has been meaningless-

                “No, you’ve been doing exactly what we always do: survive, overcome the situation. We have been in this perpetual cycle of pain and survival for so long, it’s all we’re used to. He has made you feel this is real. But now, now I want this all to change, and I want to finish him once and for all. I’ve finally come up with a solution, and the time to make it a reality.” He said, eyes brighter, and his twin grin flashing in the dimness of the room. “You have survived this endless dream, and by continually defeating Helios. By splitting up, and your perseverance in facing the dream over and over, I was able to observe and plan. I’m just sorry it’s taken me so long.”

                “Dream rituals and memories being erased are good enough excuses-

                “No, you have done bravely, and now it is my turn to save you, especially as this desperate plan comes to light. I believe this can be stopped.”

                “In order to stop the dream I have to gather everyone who was in the glyphs.”

                He nodded, “yes, but...there is a complication.”

                “What?” He feared the answer.

                “We are entering a dream within a dream now...”

                Eyes widening, he felt all feeling leave his body, and he could do nothing but stare. “It...” he began, finally catching his words. “It’s impossible to activate a dream ritual within another dream! We could be lost to the cosmos forever!” He snarled and punched the ground.

                “Don’t I know it...”

                “What am I to do then? What have you come up with?” He needed to know. This was getting more and more dangerous.

                “Well,” he knelt closer and rested a hand against the barrier, “believing me is a good start.”

                “It would explain many things...lapses in my memory, give depth to my origins, and answer the endless questions about where I come from, and my inability to give sound answers.”

                He smiled softly and rested his forehead against the barrier. “I can’t...express how relieving it is that you believe me.” His expression fell. “We’ve been through too much. I want this to stop, and to give them their lives back.”

                Wooyoung edged closer. “Then tell me.”

                “I want this to be the last time that man has any chance of harming us, and the people who are so very dear to us.” He said, voice firmer and his resolve showed on his face now. “You need to save them once more, and bring us all together again. The seal upon your memories and the dream surrounding this one will begin to break. If you do not succeed, Helios will again gain the upper hand and restart the dream once more. You, along with Nichkhun, Taecyeon, Junho and Chansung will have your memories reset. The cycle will begin again, and I won’t be able to help anymore. I do not want a repeat of this travesty.”

                Wooyoung rested his hand where his lay against the invisible wall. The power behind it...was reeling. If this was his true self that he was seeing, then the person he was now was only a fraction of his real self. But, to know that his reality was beyond the edge of two dream rituals, he was overwhelmed. “I cannot fathom...this thought of being within a dream in another dream...”

                “Aye, but it is happening right now. You are between the two, and I’ve been holding you here so I could tell you where to find what will stop this forever.” He collapsed against the barrier wall and was beginning to breathe hard. “I’m...losing strength holding this.”

                “I’m listening.” He said, trying to remain calm but unable to hide his urgency.

                “Min...you know her.”

                Wooyoung nodded.

                “I...tampered with her presence in this dream. She is a scribe that you must find. She will have the new ritual I have completed; however, it can only be used in reality, because I did not anticipate Helios creating a second dream. You must bring everyone who was placed in the runes to the ritual location in this place and nullify this dream first, and then do it again in the previous dream. Only then can you change everything. If you activate the ritual while in the dream, it will have no impact on reality.”

                Wooyoung nodded, “well, neither of us could have anticipated a second.”

                His other self smiled and he huddled closer. “I...” Strangely, tears flew down his cheeks. His ’true self’...could cry. “I’m sorry it took me so long.” He whispered.

                “You persevered, and you did what was necessary. I’m proud to know that we are the same...”

                “Hm, proud of yourself?”

                He grinned, “of course. You and I have been through much to make it to this point, and now, we have a chance to change things.”

                “Change history...and the lives of those around us...”

                He nodded. “One last thing...if I am able to speak to you now, it means you’ve always been able to influence the dream.”

                “Well, you cannot alter a dream once it is in motion. However, we are all dreamers, so I could only do it in little ways. Books, parchments, wisps, creatures...just little ways to steer you in a direction I needed you to go.” He smiled and began to collapse. “Please...find Min. I can’t do much from afar, but I promise to support you. You are me, after all.”

                “You’ve watched the dreams over and over, haven’t you?”

                He saddened.

                “Even I am a dream, but it’s better to know that we have been strong enough to see beyond the dream. I will do this, I promise. I am...I am very proud of us.” Wooyoung said and that pained smile was enough.

                “Reclaim our lives...”

                He nearly fell forward as he vanished. Water began to flood throughout the room. The weight of the reality of their situation slammed into him, causing his knees to buckle and he crashed to the floor. “Please!” He cried. “Please, just let this work...give me the strength to make it through this...” The water bellowed around him, lifting him up. A different pain, one he’d never felt before choked him and he lost his strength. It was pointless. It felt as if it had gone on for ages and ages. When he felt his body settle, he found he couldn’t move for a long while.

                It was calm, quiet. He could smell the earth; feel the moisture in the air. Opening his eyes, Wooyoung immediately shut them. He felt like he’d slept for centuries. Taking a deep breath, he realised then how sore his body felt. “Ooh...” He huffed and tried to roll onto his side but wasn’t successful. His chest pained the most, “stupid heart.” He froze. His fingers curled into the damp grass, he took some deep, steady breaths. This couldn’t be real. But there it was thudding loudly, filling his ears with its beats, getting worse and worse as he grew more aware of it. Then something even stranger began to happen, his eyes filled with water. “Impossible...” he croaked painfully. Shutting his eyes tight, his tears slid down the sides of his face. Wet and hot, he really felt them. Then he was sobbing and had finally managed to roll onto his side. What had Helios done to him? What had he really lost in this fight so far for Helios’s ambitions?

                When he was finally able to calm himself, he felt as if he was forgetting something. Looking around, all he saw for as far as he could were trees. It was as if he was back in the Old Forest. When he could finally manage it, he rose to his legs. “I feel like an old man!” He growled and pressed his hand into his back. He was suddenly confronted with the smell of smoke. Looking around, he saw nothing but the imprint of his body in a small bed of blue flowers. It was as if he fell here out of the sky and had been in a deep slumber. Feeling around his clothes, he looked down. He was clad in a rich navy uniform and black cloak. Marigold’s words came to mind.

                “Oi!” Turning quickly, he was confronted with what seemed to be village-folk. Slowly more of them came, holding pitchforks and an odd assortment of household items shakily.

                “Is the dream in the distant past or something?” He looked over his hands. They were pink, and swelling. “So...this is what it feels like when your hands go from immense cold to hot...” Clenching his fingers, he closed his eyes.

                “You there?!” Finally they seemed to be near, but stopped a ways away.

                “Aye, I can hear you just fine.” He responded finally.

                “What’s an Revolutionist like you doing in these parts?”

                Suddenly, he was on the pointy end of spears. Raising a brow he sighed. “I seem to have lost my way. What, my dear sir, are Revolutionists?” That caused the horde to erupt into laughter. Well, not really a horde, more like eight men...still a ghastly horde. “I assure you I am not amused. I don’t know to whom these clothes belong, nor why I am dressed in them.”

                “Don’t listen to him, Charlie!” One man called near the back. “He’s like the rest of them, cunnin’ and vile liars.”

                The man named Charlie was a stout looking fellow with reddish brown hair. He looked to be in his late thirties. “What’s yer name?”

                Wooyoung touched his forehead. He’d better keep playing the ‘amnesia’ card. “I...I don’t know.”

                “How do I know yer tellin’ the truth, stranger? We get a lotta action in these parts, and I’m not one ta be trustin’ no Revolutionist that can’ even remember ‘is own name.” The Charlie fellow said remaining distrustful.

                “Please, I do not know why I’m out here or who I am. I have no idea what Revolutionists are...” He noticed movement out of the corner of his eye and turned to the right. People wearing uniforms just like his stood there.

                “Now there are more a’ ye!” Charlie bellowed. “Next t’ing I knows the Baxkos soldiers’ be tearin’ down our fields!”

                “Wait!” One of the Revolutionists called out. He unveiled himself and Wooyoung swore he nearly fainted.

                “S-Sano..?” He mumbled.

                “We mean you no harm here. It seems our dear ‘Prince’ wandered too close to your territory.” Sano gave him a look that told him to follow along. Wooyoung slowly shifted back.

                “Who knew?” He laughed and tried to make his way over.

                “The Prince...” One of the other men muttered. “Are you sure?!”

                Before he could reach him, a figure dropped down between him and Sano. He saw the flicker of a grey and black uniform. A weird energy pulled at his gut as the figure rose. Slowly trying to stand back, the figure turned to him and a sword was pointed in his direction. “I think it best you come with me, your highness.”

                “Who are you?” He asked wearily.

                “Wooyoung! Do not go with him! He’s of Baxkos!” Sano shouted out to him.

                Baxkos? Probably like the old Hunter’s kingdom which had opposed Inferna, the kingdom which enslaved Immortals and made them their puppets, and sent them out to do their dirty work. Helios had recreated the past and infused it with their memories and spirits. Without warning the sword rested against his neck. A gloved hand slowly rose up and gripped the dark hood. His eyes widened as it fell back. There he stood like a breath of fresh air.

                Chansung smirked at him and winked briefly. His arm came to circle around his waist and held him close. “I do think this is a fair prize for the king of Baxkos, do you not?” Chansung had turned to Sano and his squad.

                “You’ll do no such thing! Victor!” Sano roared and brandished his weapon.

                Wooyoung felt his spirits plummet. However, he dismissed it quickly. Victor had been a sacrifice, and if he was here with him, it meant Chansung was also present somewhere. But, could he truly trust him? What was going on? Why was Victor’s hair so ridiculously long and alluring? He’d never seen him like this before. He was tempted to reach up and run his hand over the long braided hair and his handsome face but Victor had turned back to him. “How do you always manage to get yourself into situations such as this anyway?” Wooyoung felt his hood come up over his head and let Victor hold him tight. “If you’ll excuse us, we’ll be on our way. I realise your community has been neutral in the war, do forgive us.”

                Wooyoung felt like his head was spinning in circles already. He was a ‘prince’ here? He grinned to himself; that was something he could definitely get used to. Feeling that warmth beginning to encompass him he peered up and attempted to ask him a question. “Victor-

                “Hush now, we need to get you to safety.” He whispered into his ear, “he will explain shortly.” Wooyoung gasped as Victor leapt up. As they came to descend, Victor sprinted into a fast run. “Never thought the day would come when I would be the one to hold you in my arms, saving you,” he teased. Before he could say anything more Victor leapt up once more, high into the sky, far above the trees and continued in the opposite direction of the setting sun. Wooyoung didn’t know where they were going or if it was safe. For now, we just had to go along with it. He didn’t know his own abilities or what his role was in this world, he was lost. However, he would never deny feeling comforted by being in Victor’s arms. He wasn’t Chansung, but it just made him feel safe.

***

A/N: FINALLY! Finally I'm back to moving the plot along for the Immortal Wooyoung Series (yep, changed the name). Thanks for the subscribes and upvotes already! Just a heads up, this story is 14 chapters in length at the moment, I've recently had to change some things so this number might change ^^

Chapters will be posted every Sunday. It goes without saying, and as indicated by this chapter, I'm going to be changing a lot of things.

I apologise in advance for any cliff-hangers haha. I look forward to reading your comments when you wanna share 'em, and just having a fun time again with these lovelies. This is my longest running series and probably my favourite. I just hope you guys enjoy too :)

Until next Sunday with Chapter One: The Soldiers of Black and Blue