Truths Over Tea

The Prince of the Underworld

A/N: We're heading towards the end now. Two more chapters to go after this one.

*

            “Let me say this once, and once only, Horvejkul.” Chansung’s mother said with stern voice. “I do feel sorry for your brother and your family. However, there is no guarantee that this will not happen again. How do I know you are truly any different than your parents when your brother somehow managed to break into my palace and appear before Helios’ holding place?”

            Chansung was becoming beyond frustrated with his mother. While she had to take into consideration the best options for Inferna, this was just nonsense. His siblings were no great help either.

            “I believe that has already been explained to you, your highness.” Marigold said, tone with a bite of irritation. “There truly is no reason why you cannot trust Horvejkul.”

            “I refuse to trust humans.” Chansung’s older brother said.

            “Well, great for you.” Chansung interjected finally, surprising his family. “If you wish to continue to refuse listening to reason, might I remind you why we wound up in this situation: because of fear.”

            “We do not fear anything, brother.” His younger sister attempted to argue.           

            Waving her off, Chansung scoffed, “yes you do. Keeping Helios contained here doesn’t make you feel safe. His essence is everywhere. He got what he wanted. He’s within the palace.” Chansung said, adding fuel to the fire. Unrest built up and only increased the tension in the room.

            “Chansung, I encourage you to hush.” His mother nearly hissed.

            “Why?”

            She turned to him finally.

            “Are you scared too, mother?”

            “Insolence.”

            “You were not trapped in a dream with him.” Chansung shot back harshly.

            His mother paled considerably, “no I was not, and it was weakness which resulted in your capture.”

            “Oh please, imagine if you had opened up relations to the Horvejkuls and listened to Madam Jang when she told you about Helios before. You wouldn’t even listen to Marigold before the dream, and you still won’t. You’re just going to assist in the uprising of something else. Or, perhaps, you want to be the ones to do damage on the lands this time.” Chansung clenched his fist tightly.

            “How dare you, brother-

            “Shut up, I tire of this.” He said and got to his feet. “When you’re ready to truly negotiate towards peace call me back, until then I will not hear this trivial nonsense about not wanting to. I apologise to you Horvejkul.”

            “No offence taken. I see I am not welcome here.” Nichan said as he rose up from his chair. “Perhaps I too shall await your approval. Until then, we will continue to work with Lunaris and the Elves. I remain open to forming an allegiance that my parents never could, Queen Hwang.”

            Chansung walked behind the still seated Marigold and heard a faint, “good show.” He walked with Nichan to the doors.

            “I apologise for the stubbornness of my family.” Chansung said sincerely.

            “No, do not apologise. There were tensions between all of us for the duration you and the others were trapped in the dream.” Nichan sighed and looked even more tired than before. “I haven’t been able to make sure Nichkhun is okay at times with how much work I have to do. I am truly, truly grateful for everything Marigold, Madam Jang, Wooyoung, Junho and you have done for us. I could...” Nichan covered his eyes. “It feels like we will never receive reprieve. I could have lost Nichkhun to that monster again. How many times must we be subjected to the hostility of this man? What did we do to deserve this?”

            Chansung gripped his shoulder and stopped him. “You didn’t do anything, Nichan. Unfortunately he chose you and your family as his primary victims.”

            “Yes, but to try and get to you. Perhaps it would be better off if we bowed down to the requests of-

            “No.” Chansung stopped him quickly. “Do not let him govern you this far. You are not your parents, and you and Nichkhun will do good for Baxkos. I’m already seeing the difference with the openness towards magicfolk. Others are just stubborn because of the same fear which took over Helios. That cannot also be your fate.” He said and looked out over Inferna.

            “Something has changed about you.”

            “Going through what I have, how can I remain unchanged?”

            Nichan shrugged, “I like the change. You’re more confident.”

            Chansung turned back and became sheepish. “I have people worth fighting for and valuable friendships that I want to protect. Yours being one of them.”

            “Well, I consider myself very lucky. Whatever you decide to do...I just appreciate that you remain stout hearted, and even more so now. It’s refreshing.”

            “I can bring you to Baxkos.”

            “No, head home. You look like you want to be there very much.”

            “It wouldn’t take long.”

            Nichan looked troubled.

            “Let me.”

            Nichan took his hand and they were in Nichan’s study. The man doubled over and sat on his desk. “Oh I can never get used to that.”

            Chansung chuckled, “until our next meeting.”

            Nichan waved him off. “Yes.”

            Chansung warped back and found Nichan’s carriage and guard, “he’s already in Baxkos. You may return back.”

            “Thank you, prince Hwang.”

            “You’re welcome.” He vanished and walked into the Jang household.

            “Oh, welcome home, Chansung.” Madam Jang greeted.

            Smiling immediately he relaxed immediately. “I’m home.”

            “Junho is out back with Marigold. Little baby Jang is still asleep.”

            Chansung chuckled, “I’ll check on him before heading to read in the gardens.”

            “Oh, I’ll have tea prepared for you.” She clapped her hands together and sped away without another word. Chansung made his way upstairs and came to Wooyoung’s room. Sitting beside his sleeping love, he leaned down and kissed his temple.

            “How was it?” Wooyoung asked tiredly.

            “I’ll tell you after I’ve calmed down.”

            Wooyoung barely opened his eyes as he reached up to him. Chansung leaned down and kissed him softly.

            “You’re so cute.” Chansung cooed as Wooyoung’s arms tightened around his neck.

            That finally got Wooyoung looking at him and smiling cheekily. “Thank you for helping Nichkhun and his family.”

            Chansung realised then that Wooyoung was undoing his hair. “Sneak...”

            “You look handsome with your hair free...” Wooyoung grumbled and continued to unfurl Chansung’s braid. “Pretty boy...”

            Chansung collapsed into Wooyoung’s body and closed his eyes.

            “What were you planning to do to calm you down?”

            Chansung grumbled some words as Wooyoung continued to brush his hands through his hair.

            “Can’t understand you love.”

            “Read...” He managed after a while.

            “You haven’t been able to do that in a while.” Wooyoung cooed and cradled Chansung in his arms. “Junho said he found a very nice book about the Northern Elves I think you’d find interesting.”

            “Anything on how to deal with difficult mothers?” Chansung asked as he sat up.

            “Unfortunately, queenly mothers are a bit of a individual case-by-case basis.” Wooyoung answered and watched him as Chansung rebraided his hair. “It’s so magical watching you do that.”

            Blushing, Chansung laughed and slapped Wooyoung’s hand. “I’m just braiding my hair.”

            “y.”

            “Wooyoung!” He rose up, but Wooyoung caught his wrist and tugged him back and quite effectively under him. Looking up into those mischievous eyes, Chansung felt a rush of excitement as Wooyoung made himself more comfortable on his stomach. Closing his eyes as Wooyoung took his sweet time claiming his mouth, Chansung groaned softly. “Wooyoung, as much as I want you to continue your mother promised me tea...”

            “But you’ve been gone for days.” Wooyoung whined and folded his arms across his chest.

            “Well, come out with me then. Get some sun.” Chansung encouraged.

            “I’d rather kiss you in the sunlight.”

            Whatever sound Chansung made he didn’t have it in him to be embarrassed. Plus, it got Wooyoung smiling sweetly at him. “You’d probably fall asleep anyway.”

            “Maybe, but I could kiss you as I fall asleep.”

            Slowly coming to sit up, Chansung brushed their noses together and then Wooyoung was kissing him all over again. He shuddered as Wooyoung’s hands smoothed up his chest, along his neck and over his shoulders.

            “I missed you.” He said quietly and then was trailing his fingers up and down Chansung’s back. “You look so much healthier...”

            “Being able to sleep without worries helps...”

            This made his love smile. “I know sometimes after you wake when you’ve been trapped in a dream you feel like you don’t need rest. Which is why I was really worried about you.”

            Chansung gave in and relaxed them back on the bed. “I’d be happy not having to return to Inferna. Things are so...I really felt it the past couple days that twenty years has indeed gone by.” Chansung took a deep breath and looked out the window to the vast countryside. “I’m still having trouble adjusting.”

            “Is it just your mom being difficult?”

            “No,” Chansung shrugged and tilted Wooyoung’s face up so he could kiss him properly, “Don’t want to talk about it. Let me focus on you and being home.”

            Wooyoung whimpered softly and lay atop him more comfortably. “The only thing that would make this more perfect is Junho being with us.” He whispered.

            “We...” Chansung swallowed hard. “I just wish there was something else we could do to vanquish him.”

            Wooyoung arched up and looked over him. “I won’t live forever. No matter how much you want me to stay. But...if there was a way, yes, I wish there was too.”

            Chansung laced their fingers together and kissed Wooyoung’s knuckles. “There’s no stopping you...is there?”

            Wooyoung shook his head, “even if you trap me, I would still do it. I’ll always feel like I’m in the dream, Chansung. As time goes on...I’ll begin to fade. I never want him to interfere again. And...one day I’ll disappear anyway. Dreams don’t last forever...”

            “They do if you believe in them.” Junho said, making himself known.

            “You know as well as I do that is not true.” Wooyoung said very gently, quietly. “I’m just happy that I get to spend some more time with you, that’s enough for me. It’s all I could have asked for.”

            “You will at least let us know when you’re going to do it, right?” Chansung asked him, now holding them both close to him.

            “Like I would leave without saying goodbye,” Wooyoung assured and ran his fingers down Chansung’s face. “Once I’m strong enough I am going to do it. If there is one thing I wish to give you it is a chance to live without him in your lives, and no fear that he might return.”

            “Then there will just be someone else who takes his place.” Chansung argued. He felt most angry then. That was the same argument he made against his family. He felt like a hypocrite.

            “Perhaps, but that is what fate will decide.” Wooyoung countered. Junho’s shoulders were shaking and he’d dampened Wooyoung’s shirt with tears. “Promise me that you’ll protect each other and love each other. That’s all I want.”

            “You’re so selfish.” Junho cried quietly.

            “I know...I really am, but Junho...” He managed to make him face him. “I’m so selfish I want you to live forever, even if it’s without me. And...who knows, by changing the past, this timeline will never exist. We might be together in that other life and I think it’s worth it to take that chance.”

            “I have to go and think.” Chansung said and retracted himself from them. He vanished instantly. He wasn’t able to leave the Jang household grounds however, and found himself in the garden. Turning around, he found Madam Jang. He made to ask about the barrier but she motioned for him to come over before picking up a teapot.

            “No book in hand I see, but I've got tea anyway.” She said and poured him some. “Come talk to me.”

            “So much...has changed.” He said and looked out over her gardens.

            “Mm, about that, would you mind waiting a tad? We have another guest coming that should also be a part of that particular discussion.” She said and snapped her fingers. A light lunch appeared and Chansung sat back.

            “May I ask something about Wooyoung then?”

            Madam Jang nodded, “of course.”

            “I’ve always thought his magical core was strange...” Chansung began and watched her carefully. Madam Jang had always been a suspicious character. “He was within the dream with us, how could he create a being like him, keep it stable, and then it be born within this world?”

            Madam Jang took her own turn to lean back in her seat and folded her hands across her lap. “There are things I have never told him, Chansung. I was waiting for the right time.” She started and was looking far away. “I never imagined he would become as powerful as he has...since he came into being, not once...”

            Chansung tilted his head. “Curious choice of words...you make it sound like you created him.”

            She laughed, “well, you too were created by your mum and father.”

            Chansung blushed, “I didn’t mean-

            Madam Jang leaned forward then, rested her elbows against the table, and laced her fingers beneath her chin. “He is my child, Chansung. He is born of me and my blood, of my magic.” She said and smiled tenderly. “He isn’t a homunculus, a demon, or any such thing of dark magic.”

            “No, he feels...different. He feels like deep magic.”

            Her eyes brightened if possible. “Do you feel anything else?”

            Quiet now, Chansung looked over her slowly and let his mind drift to the feel of Wooyoung’s energy. As always, he felt the deepness, something that Chansung often got lost within and felt immensely comforted by, even with the ‘dream’ Wooyoung. He couldn’t explain it, really. “There is no limit to his being.”

            “Sometimes, Chansung, if you live long enough upon this earth, you experience things you cannot explain. You feel them deep within and it gives you a sense that there is something beyond all of this, something far more vast and unfathomable. Sometimes, that beyond comes here.”

            A shiver flew up Chansung’s arms and he hugged himself. “Is that what Helios sought?”

            Madam Jang smiled, “yes, for ages he has sought it.”

            “Then why was he after me and not Wooyoung?”

            “Well, my son is indeed a curious one, but so are you. You see...” She sat back then and her smile broadened. “It is no coincidence that you have all come together, including Junho, Nichkhun and Taecyeon.” She said and took up her tea. “For you and your loves, perhaps you have found in them things you feel are missing within yourself, or perhaps – and this is what I believe – you have found others who are like you, just a little more...deep. Something like...like the ‘old magic’ perhaps.”

            “Junho...I feel it different within him.” Chansung shared.

            “How?”

            “With Wooyoung it feels like it stretches forever. With Junho...it’s almost like he hides it.”

            Madam Jang nodded, “very perceptive, Chansung. I’m sure the phrase ‘my secrets have secrets’ means something to you then?”

            Of course it did. Junho spoke this phrase time and time again.

            “Now, what do you think of yourself?”

            It was Chansung’s turn to sit back. “The only thing I have is confidence and control...” He admitted but then smiled, “and an endless pursuit to know more...I always want to know more.”

            “I think you know more than you realise.” She said and then sat up. “Sit up dear, our guests have arrived.”

            Chansung did as told and he watched Nichkhun and Taecyeon round the corner of the garden. Madam Jang rose elegantly and bowed to them. “Greetings, your highness.”

            “No need for formalities, Madam Jang.”

            “Ah, but I like it.” She said and motioned for them to sit. “I hope you don’t mind Chansung joining us today.”

            Chansung met Nichkhun’s gaze. He looked much better now than the morning he arrived at Marigold’s to return them to Baxkos. There was no trace of the Frozen Heart anymore. He also looked over Taecyeon as well. Their union had done them both wonders and Chansung was very glad to see it, especially after everything they had been through. Chansung held out his hand. Nichkhun took it promptly.

            “We’ve been through a lot together. I would never mind.” Nichkhun said softly.

            Chansung gripped his hand tighter in small assurance before relieving the grip and retaking his seat.

            “You are looking much better.” Madam Jang said as she looked over them all in turn. “How have you been adjusting?”

            Chansung felt again how overwhelming that question really was now, and the weight of 20 real years versus 2,000 dream years overcame him.

            “Before...the incident with Arenna I wasn’t sleeping very well.” Taecyeon said first. “Sometimes the anxiety of this still being a dream becomes very overwhelming.”

            Nichkhun nodded in agreement.

            “I was the same way.” Chansung admitted. “I’m feeling it more and more every day though just how much time has passed. Makes me feel out of place, and only the people who were in the dream really understand what that’s like.”

            “That sounds normal.”

            “How are Wooyoung and Junho?” Nichkhun asked. “The only time I’ve seen them is...well...that night.”

            “Mostly they had been sleeping constantly when you first returned. Junho has finally been up and speaking with Marigold.” Madam Jang informed. “I will explain why it is so different.”

            Chansung made himself comfortable. For some reason he felt more at peace around Madam Jang. Her energy and her presence not only assured Chansung that they were indeed in reality, but she didn’t rush him. Ever since he had been frequenting Inferna again after avoiding it for so long, it felt exhausting. The meeting with his family and Baxkos had definitely done him in and he wanted no part of the negotiations until things cooled down. There had been so much that had happened in the past 20 years and he didn’t want to deal with it yet. He wanted to be with Wooyoung and Junho. He wanted to have things explained about the dream. He didn’t want to be where Helios’ body was kept imprisoned.

            “Wooyoung and Junho are recovering from magical exhaustion.” She said. “This is when you push your magical core to the brink of breaking.”

            “Both of them have?” Nichkhun asked.

            “Mostly Wooyoung. I apologise, Chansung, I am divulging some personal information but it is relevant to the five of you as Helios tried to bond you all within the dream.”

            Chansung shrugged, “I don’t mind. If there is one thing Wooyoung is expert in, it’s bonds. I’m curious to hear more.”

            Madam Jang smiled and subconsciously smoothed her fingers along her wrists. Chansung would keep it in mind to ask about later.

            “Junho was Wooyoung’s first ever bond and it goes very deep. It began in childhood. It has only grown more and more intertwined over the years.” She explained and looked far off. “It is rare...but sometimes people allow you close enough to touch their core. It is an intimacy not many can reach and takes a very long time to build up enough trust to do so. Both Wooyoung and Junho are exhausted because of what they did in the dream, and because of how connected they are in bond. Chansung, you were on the other hand, restless. However, I imagine you have feel like you’re absorbing energy from everything.”

            Surprised, he gave a brief nod, “yes.”

            “This comes back to what we spoke of earlier, and why I think you know more than you realise. You came into the bond later, and while there were tensions from certain sides, you are gathering energy for the three of you. This is why you are restless.” She said and met his gaze. “It does not mean you are less bonded, in fact, it means you are very much involved with the bond as well. You are able to balance them both.”

            Chansung felt a bit of pride at that. He hadn’t realised he was doing so much for them.

            “The restlessness you probably still feel at times is because of sleeping for 20 years. The same goes for you both, Nichkhun and Taecyeon. It is different for Wolves and what we call the magically-touched.” Madam Jang went on. “Taecyeon I imagine your links to your pack have been disrupted quite a bit. Your father was worried about it.”

            “Yes...I have been told my scent is no longer of the pact.”

            “May I ask who you were bonded to in the dream?”

            “Wooyoung, Chansung and Junho,” Taecyeon answered.

            Madam Jang fell quiet for a short while. “And you, Nichkhun?”

            “Chansung and Wooyoung.”

            “Not Junho?”

            “Not that I can recall.”

            “Interesting...” She said and sat back. “Was your bond to Junho accidental, Taecyeon?”

            This caused the Wolf to blush, “um...sort of.”

            “Was it of your choosing?”

            “I think it was. His magic was involved I know that for sure...”

            Madam Jang’s eyes brightened. “Junho is so clever.”

            This of course got them all curious. “What is it, Madam Jang?” Nichkhun asked.

            “Was this in the first dream, Taecyeon?”

            “Yes.”

            “What about the second dream?”

            “I had no personal connection to anyone but Nichkhun.”

            Madam Jang seemed to grow even quieter.

            It unnerved Chansung greatly but he wanted to be patient.

            “No wonder Helios failed.”

            “How would he have failed by Junho bonding with Taecyeon?”

            “It is not so much the bond itself, but the fact that it happened. Neither of you are connected save for Wooyoung and Nichkhun. What is curious to me is Junho never bonded with Chansung.”

            Chansung sat back, “it came close a few times.”

            “Was the bond ever in place in the second dream?”

            Chansung shook his head, “I don’t think so.”

            “But your bond with Wooyoung was intact, and his bond with Junho?”

            “Yes. I don’t see what you’re getting at, Madam Jang.”

            “While he might have had help, I do believe it was Junho who altered the dream.”

            Chansung froze.

 

            “Only sages have the power to manipulate and change dreams.”

 

            Junho’s words echoed loudly in Chansung’s mind. If Junho had indeed managed to change the course of the dream, he was far more powerful than Chansung imagined. Well, he knew he was powerful before, but this was different. Not only that Marigold and Wooyoung had convinced Helios in some way to take them to another level of consciousness. Chansung’s thoughts began to spin thinking about the potential power Wooyoung and Junho held. How much stronger they could become, if only they were permitted the time. One of them changed the ending of the dream, or they did it together.

            “The bond between him and Taecyeon was something he decided. Did Wooyoung distance himself from any of you?”

            “All of us, especially Junho.” Nichkhun answered.

            “Ah, what clever boys.” She said becoming giddy. “It might seem simple, but altering a bond and a bond within a dream is no easy feat.”

            “How could bonding to me have changed things?” Taecyeon asked.

            “My automatic assumption was that they severed the bonds completely. But now, now I believe they made them so deep, and so strong, they were able to make temporary bonds to offset Helios attempting to sever them. By making temporary bonds, they were able to balance themselves. Nichkhun and Taecyeon, you provided Wooyoung and Junho an anchor because you do not possess deep magic. You were a type of grounding bond, you kept everyone stable. In Taecyeon's case mostly, Wolves are governed and protected when in a pack. So...well, I don't think I need to elaborate further.”

            Chansung then realised that Taecyeon was always with him. Their bond had always been very physical, but it was true, Taecyeon kept him stable. He definitely saw now how Taecyeon did the same for Wooyoung and Junho. “Nichkhun’s bond was different.”

            “Yes, because Helios had already got his hands on him before you all were brought into the dream ritual. However, Nichkhun was used as the centrepiece of the first dream ritual. Was it Wooyoung you were closest with, Nichkhun?”

            The prince of Baxkos nodded, “yes, and he kept me apart from everyone mostly. I was sometimes close with Junho. But I was bonded to Chansung. However, Wooyoung actively kept us separated for most of the time.”

            "Well, who more capable to keep you from going out of control than the Prince of Inferna himself? Is what I would like to say. The fact that Helios managed to make the bond between you and Chansung...it must have been under less than savoury circumstances."

            Chansung could still see 'his home' in the dream. The memories of the massacre of bodies came to him and reminded him of the agony he experienced.

            "Yes..." NIchkhun said. "It was."

            A thought sprung into Chansung’s mind. He met Madam Jang’s gaze and gripped his armrests. “You say Junho altered the first dream – which baffles me enough. But I have to question then: Was the second dream of Helios’ creation or was that Marigold’s?”

            Madam Jang grinned, “Do you think it was Marigold’s creation?”

            Chansung leaned forward. “Or was it the other Wooyoung?”

            “Marigold did have the idea, but she couldn’t do it from outside the dream. She probably appeared before you in some capacity, but she could never do more than speak with you all. Wooyoung managed to make a doppelganger of sorts. So, this enabled him to move without being noticed and to put all of the pieces together, but the one who influenced Helios was definitely Marigold.”

            “How would she have gotten him to do that though?” Nichkhun asked. “He was the one that set it up and initiated it.”

            “Marigold had to put herself in a vulnerable position when in a dream ritual to cause the interference she did. Wooyoung and Marigold had begun to work together when she was finally able to make contact. I don’t remember how many years it took. It was definitely after two cycles of the dream.” Madam Jang said and set her shawl around her shoulders more tightly. “Now tell me, when did Wooyoung begin to bring you back into the inner circle, Nichkhun?”

            Nichkhun pondered the question for a long time. “I guess...it was when his ‘Wolf’ started acting up. Right before the event called the ‘Blood Moon’. I guess that was the thing that set everything into motion.”

            “What was Wooyoung like around then? Distant? Out of control? Like he would snap at the smallest thing?”

            “Yes...” Chansung answered.

            “Yes, that would have been when the plan was set in motion. That is the Wooyoung we have now - when he was born into the dream, you could say.” Madam Jang explained. “To put the second dream into motion Marigold needed Wooyoung conscious. There is no doubt in my mind that somehow he was able to ‘wake’ Junho. Did Junho ever disappear for lengths of time?”

            Nichkhun nodded, “yes, he would go on extended trips for months at a time.”

            “That had to be when he was dream weaving then, in the most subtle way possible. When the dream cycle resets, as I’m sure you all know, this means you come back to the beginning.” They all nodded. “Only this time, it didn’t go back to the beginning, right?” Chansung stared at her silently now, very intrigued. “Instead, Helios had encroached upon Wooyoung’s mansion and Chansung had gone ‘missing’.”

            “He had to catch me, didn’t he? If he didn’t, he never would’ve realised he couldn’t get what he wanted.” Chansung said.

            “Spot on, darling.” She said. “Nichkhun was also the centrepiece, and changing your role was the most delicate. Wooyoung had to get close to you and let you in. You began to remember things as a prince, right, Nichkhun?”

            Nichkhun was very quiet but staring at her. He gave her a curt nod and slowly sat up, but he seemed to grow wearier and wearier. “So...was this all just an elaborate game to capture Helios? Why did it take so long?”

            “Well...” Madam Jang’s expression grew dark. “Helios was a powerful man, once. It might seem tacky, or frivolous, but he wanted to tap into the deepest of magics. You could say...he wanted to go beyond them.”

            Chansung’s earlier discussion with Madam Jang returned and he sat back more comfortably now. He had more than enough answers. Although, now he had many more questions.

            “Helios could never get the one thing he wanted, which was the control and authority over the deep magic of the Hwang family.” Madam Jang said and sipped her tea. “You’re mighty protected, Chansung.”

            That...was an understatement. Chansung felt overwhelmed with the amount of passion and drive of both Wooyoung and Junho to protect him, when they themselves were also at risk.

            “Rain is coming soon. I suggest we move inside, Madam Jang.” Taecyeon informed.

            “I quite agree. About time we got some rain.” She said and snapped her fingers.

            Chansung didn’t know who was more surprised between him, Nichkhun or Taecyeon about suddenly being in the tea room.

            “If you don’t mind...I would very much like to hear about your experience within the dream. What do you remember most? What sensations did you experience? What magic? What did Helios make you into?”

 

            *

 

            Wooyoung had finally managed to calm Junho down after a while. For long time they looked over each other, and Wooyoung closed his eyes as Junho’s fingers combed through his hair. “I’ll never let you go...” Junho whispered.

            Wooyoung smiled and held Junho closer to him. “You know how much I love you, right?”

            Junho nodded. “I don’t think we could have accomplished what we did without love.”

            “Thank you for helping me protect him so strongly.” Wooyoung said as he kissed down Junho’s nose.

            “He’s going to be mad when he realises what we did.” Junho murmured and went lax in Wooyoung’s arms as he kissed him. “I can just hear him, ‘why didn’t you let me help?’”

            “Mm...” Wooyoung turned his head and kissed Junho’s palm. “You’re so stubborn about admitting to him you love him.”

            Junho was blushing and then pinching his cheek. “I like him.”

            Wooyoung stuck his tongue out and couldn’t help but grin. “Like him...you liar.” He snickered. “I’ll make you say it. I want to hear it at least once in my life.”

            Junho went still then and was staring at him. “Who will go with you, Wooyoung? That ritual allows for two to go back.”

            “Marigold.”

            “Okay...”

            Surprised, Wooyoung brushed his finger along Junho’s jaw. “Really?”

            “You’re vanquishing him, right?” Junho asked weakly.

            “I am.”

            “She’s powerful enough, more than me, more than Chansung. If Helios has been her nemesis, this is how it must be. She’s a seer. She’s supposed to be objective – although...this could just be one of her many attempts to vanquish him.” Junho theorised and then focused on him again.

            “I need you to look after him for me, as you always have.” Wooyoung said as he cupped the back of Junho’s neck.

            “He’s easier to look after than you.” Junho grumbled. “You’re a mess.”

            Wooyoung finally laughed and the kissed Junho soundly and deeply, desperately. He just needed to make sure Junho understood just what it meant to him that he was supporting him.

            “I can’t stop you...” Junho managed to say, and lay down over Wooyoung. “But you’re damn sure I’ll do my best to get you there...”

            “It means a lot to me. My life was made for this purpose, just as my real self sacrificed himself to make sure we got this far.” He said and looked over Junho’s face.”You mean ever so much to me...”

            Junho smiled and then kissed him deep and slow. “Don’t stop kissing me...”

            Wooyoung smiled and did as requested. Some were slow and deep, others were needy and rough. It was just so good to touch Junho, to feel him against him, and not need to worry. Not yet. Sometimes they whispered sweet-nothings to one another. Sometimes they laughed. He finally got to touch both of his loves in one day! He revelled in that the most. Very soon, they were lying face to face. “Sleep more, my love.” Wooyoung said gently. “I’m sure Marigold tuckered you out.”

            Vibrant green orbs gazed over him. Wooyoung swore he could get lost in them forever. When Junho smiled it only made them so much more beautiful. “Come back soon.”

            “I’ll stay until you’re asleep.” Wooyoung said and brushed at Junho’s bangs.

            “What if I never do?”

            Wooyoung smiled and opened his arms as Junho curled into him.

            “Will you stay forever?”

            Kissing Junho’s forehead, Wooyoung hugged him tightly. “Forever...”

            “I want to go with you.” Junho murmured and gripped Wooyoung’s shirt.

            Closing his eyes tight, Wooyoung kissed his shoulder, up his neck and then his ear. “My love for you will never fade, ever, Junho.” He said gently.

            Whether from physical or emotional exhaustion, perhaps both, Junho finally fell asleep. Wooyoung looked over him tenderly and kissed his forehead. Slowly he eased himself off the bed and dressed warmly. Leaving the room he trailed his finger along the wall. His mother’s home...was homely. Hearing chatter in one of the tea rooms, he knocked before entering. Within, he found his mother speaking with Nichkhun, Taecyeon at his side, and Chansung in a chair by the window.

            “Ah! Wooyoung! You look much better. I’m happy to see that.” Nichkhun greeted as he rose to meet him.

            “Likewise,” he said and looked over Nichkhun’s hands as theirs came together. They were still scarred from the Frozen Heart Syndrome. Delicately, he trailed his fingers over the little white lines, not prominent but there; the mark of having been healed.

            “I’m okay...” Nichkhun said with a soft smile and cupped Wooyoung’s hands. “Thanks to everyone.”

            “All I did was make a mess.” He chuckled and made his way to Chansung and sat upon his lap. He relaxed instantly as Chansung wrapped an arm about his waist. I thought you would be off somewhere sulking.

            “You did not!” Nichkhun huffed. “Right, Madam Jang?”

            “While usually he is making messes, you’re right this time.” She said with a wink.

            Your mother put up barriers so I wouldn’t be able to.

            A small smile tugged at Wooyoung’s lips. Did you have an interesting conversation?

            “How is your adjustment to your Wolf now, Nichkhun?” Wooyoung’s mother asked, earning a very wonderful blush from the Baxkos prince. “You’re a few days into the cycle now, right?”

            We did. Many things about the dreams make sense now. About what you and Junho did. Chansung kissed the back of his neck and held him tighter.

            “It...has been quite the adjustment. I’m just...” Nichkhun went quiet and then he was smiling. “I’m happy. More than that, I’m happy my brother approves. Although, he isn’t like my parents so that makes this much easier.”

            “I imagine the partnership between Lunaris and Baxkos is going better than the one with Inferna.” Chansung said, and began to rub slow circles into Wooyoung’s side.

            It was honestly torturing him. Are you trying to arouse me?

            I did take notice that you are much more sensitive. And, I can smell Junho’s essence all over you. Chansung teased. Makes you even more addictive.

            We were good. Wooyoung whined.

            “Yes, they’ve been progressing positively for the most part. My brother did speak of his frustrations from this morning.” Nichkhun shared, and became a little sombre. “Your mother – the Queen Hwang I mean...has voiced apprehensions. I can understand. It was discrimination and the desire for power which caused...well..we all know.”

            Chansung shrugged, “whether she comes around or not you have my support. I have heard that the Witches and Elves also want to form truces.”

            “Oo, that’s excellent.” Wooyoung chipped in.

            His mother gave him a surprised look but didn’t comment.

            “I think much of it has to do with Marigold and...and the fall of Helios.” Nichkhun said and he gripped his cup tightly. “Stories have arisen that he used the lives of whole witch covens to create the dream. It was so elaborately done because he also stole books from the Elves. Destroying him...will most likely open many more doors, Wooyoung.”

            A chill ran down his spine. “Indeed...”

            Seems it isn’t only us who would benefit from vanquishing him forever...

            Wooyoung lowered his head and then he rested his hand over Chansung’s. I’m sorry it has worked out like this.

            No, I’ve known for far longer than Junho about all of this; I guess it’s just the thought of potentially not being with you through the ages. I’m terrified of that.

            “Well, it seems that prophecies do indeed have power sometimes.” His mother chuckled. “Still, beings who seek great power come about all the time. When you’re as powerful as individuals such as Marigold and Helios...you wonder what else is out there, and what is within us.”

            Wooyoung noticed his mother looking at him more pointedly, but then she was looking at the others.

            “So mysterious, Madam Jang.” Chansung chuckled. “What’re you hiding?”

            She laughed behind her hand, “Now, now, Chansung, a lady never reveals her secrets.”

            That of course roused laughter from all of them. Wooyoung however, only smiled. Even he was mystified by his family lineage. His mother had only ever told him partial truths, and there were still rooms in this house he had never once set foot in. The night his mother and Chansung had returned after helping Nichkhun and Taecyeon had been most life-changing.

            “Well, I think it is time we should be off. I am very happy I was able to visit with you, Madam Jang. I owe you and Wooyoung very much, my life among other things. I wouldn’t be here if not for you both.” Nichkhun said and bowed deeply.

            “None of that now; we all were a part of this. Of all people, Nichkhun, I look forward to seeing how you will bring us magical folk together. We’re a bit of a rowdy bunch and quite fickle, but...I see it within you: the power to unite and bring about a different future. Now, whether that is in this lifetime or another, well...that is what interests me.”

            Wooyoung’s curiosity was piqued once again. His mother knew about the time ritual that was for sure. She could be quite witchy when she wanted – or perhaps the more accurate description was a meddling sage. In either case, he knew he had to learn a lot more to reach her level. Well, he would have.

            “Now, I am going out in this dreadful weather. I’m meeting with Queen Hwang and we are discussing some things...visiting a certain husk of a monster, and then meeting with Marigold.” His mother informed.

            “Would you like a ride, Madam Jang?” Nichkhun inquired.

            “Oh, you’re so sweet. No, I will be fine.” She said and rose to her feet and clapped her hands. The dishware and food all vanished. “Wooyoung, do not mess up my house.”

            He raised both hands in defence, “wouldn’t dare.”

            She gave Chansung a hug, “I hope you have more answers now. Don’t be so harsh on yourself or others, you have much responsibility coming to you soon.”

            “I know.” Chansung said softly.

            His mother looked over him quietly before kissing his forehead. “I’m still in awe you are here, not whole, but here.” She said and held his hand. “A wonderful dream...”

            Wooyoung’s eyes watered and he looked down.

            “I know...the time is coming soon. I’m not ready, but...I know, Wooyoung.” She said and hugged him tightly. “I want to say ‘don’t rush away when I’ve just got you back,’ but I know it’s futile. You’re my son after all.” She let him go and moved back. “Just let me be ready too, okay?”

            Wooyoung nodded and tried to smile but couldn’t. How could he have assumed she would not know? Watching her leave, he collapsed to the ground, his legs and arms shaking.

            “Oh Wooyoung...”

            Looking up, he hugged himself. “It hurts.”

            Chansung knelt beside him and slowly picked him up. “The courage to do what you intend...is admirable. I know the lengths you will go. I just wish...I hope that whatever happens, we still meet again.”

            “I have to hold onto that hope. It’s the only thing that keeps me from breaking down.” Wooyoung said.

            “Junho and I...well, I think everything will be alright.”

            Wooyoung stared at him surprised. “You do?”

            “Don’t do this with half-assed feelings, Wooyoung. Be selfish about it - although, that isn’t really you, you’re more selfless than anyone I’ve known.” Chansung said as he brushed back his hair. “Do things as you always have, we’ll make it.”

            Wooyoung felt immensely comforted by those words. Resting his head against Chansung’s shoulder, he ran his finger across Chansung’s collarbones.  “Your confidence...gives me an overwhelming amount of assurance, Chansung.” He said.

            “Then I’ll give more and more.”

            When they were finally back with Junho, Wooyoung between them again, he relaxed. When he heard Chansung’s steady breathing, Wooyoung felt a weight lift from his shoulders. He was finally resting with them. Wooyoung looked over Junho tenderly and felt himself beginning to drift. He would do it for them.

*

Next Chapter is called: A Dream's Love and Farewells