The Soldiers of Black and Blue

The Prince of the Underworld

* Chapter One: The Soldiers of Black and Blue *

                It was pitch black when Victor came to a sudden halt. Wooyoung clutched onto him tightly as loud voices sounded around them, quick moving lantern light flashed past. He peered from beneath his hood and saw soldiers who wore the same uniform of Victor scouring the area. It made him ever so curious. Victor pulled him taut against him as a flare of light appeared behind the tree they were leaning against.

                “I know I saw something over here.” He heard a man say.

                “You’re probably just going crazy. That’s what happens to people who’ve been in these woods for too long!”

                Wooyoung gripped Victor’s arms and looked up at him. He found him staring into the dark, waiting. Why did he have to look so mysterious and attractive all at once? Why did he have to look like Chansung? Victor blinked and then met his gaze. His brows rose in question but Wooyoung shook his head and turned away. His body was feeling so very hot, and it didn’t help with the proximity to him when he looked like his beloved. He didn’t even know if he could call him that anymore. When it was dark and quiet again, Victor tightened his fingers around his wrist and pulled him along. Over small hills and ducking around trees they went, further into the forest and into the dark. He almost thought he had been imaging them, wisps which were blue in colour, fading in and out of existence around them. This place was filled with deep magic.

                “Where are we..?” He murmured.

                Without warning, he was against a tree and his cloak held tightly between clenched, gloved hands. “I didn’t think the rumours were true.” Victor said condescendingly. “You truly have been bewitched by something, and not in a pleasant way. How does a man of your standing allow himself to be hit with a memory stealing curse?”

                Wooyoung spluttered at the confidence and very direct gaze cast upon him. He knew what to expect in that all of their personalities would be different, but he wasn’t ready for this. “Well if I could remember I would try and be a little bit offended...” He sniped and continued to brush himself off. He thought he might have to find out the hard way what sorts of abilities or lack thereof he maintained. Victor, however, pressed a finger to his forehead and seemed to be calming his breath.

                “I’m going to be in so much for this...” He muttered as he continued on further into the area.

                “Where are you taking me?” Victor stopped abruptly and indicated towards a small encampment with only one permanent building. “Camping..?”

                “Hush,” Victor pulled him along into a tent nearest the thickest part of the trees. Once they were inside, he found himself at the mercy of a strong grip from another. Wooyoung could only watch helplessly as Victor was forced to his knees, swords at his neck and chest.

                “Whoa, whoa, whoa...” He said quickly.

                Wooyoung leaned back and found another familiar face before him. Zahi. Two of them were here, safe and sound and beside him still. “Hey! He saved me – I think.”

                Victor rolled his eyes and glared at him.

                Zahi turned back to Victor and began to pace around him. “I knew we took a major hit in the last attack, but really, Victor?!” Seeing his ‘friend’ recoil at the scolding tone, Wooyoung bit his lip. “First, the attack on the Horvejkuls, then we lose our mage because of his,” Zahi pointed at him making him gape, “idiocy, and then we lose him, because you couldn’t keep proper watch.”

                They were treating him like a child! Well, he supposed they had reason but it still felt utterly wrong. “I’m sorry...” He murmured.

                “No, he should be apologising.” Zahi shoved Victor’s face and ordered his men to stand down. He finally turned to him again. “I don’t even know where to begin. You were under his watch the last time I saw you and he let you vanish.” Zahi backtracked and sat himself down. “And you want me to fight alongside you? You have been failing to convince me that I should join your side. I am loyal to the kingdom of Lunaris, always, as that is where my loyalties will always lie, but now you probably don’t even remember the plan you created to take down Baxkos with the revolutionary army you were massing. I know you’re damn good at fighting but we are now in a grave situation, all because you like to wander.”

                Wooyoung stilled. Something was not right. He began to breathe dangerously heavy again and a cold sweat broke out over his skin. Everyone seemed to be standing too close and he had to run. He had to get away. Without warning he turned and ran. He didn’t know how far, he just knew that he had to get away. He collapsed to his hands and knees and felt his whole body wretch. Clutching the soft moss he tried desperately to catch his breath. He hated being human! It was the worst feeling in the world. His heart was beating too fast, his body felt disgustingly warm, his stomach was twisting and clenching painfully, and he couldn’t seem to catch his breath.

                Feeling a presence beside him, he was relieved he could at least sense that. Turning slightly, it was Victor again.

                “Are you hurt? You look pale...” He said as he slowly came near.

                This wasn’t his world, it was a dream. And it was a dream within a dream, and who he was and all his memories, all his bonds, and the relationships he’d made, were false. In this world, the people in his life would not be who they are, but it didn’t matter, because even in the previous once they weren’t who they truly were either. A fear had begun to arise in his chest and his body began to shake now.

                “Okay, okay....okay, okay, okay...” He huddled in on himself and felt his eyes burning again with tears. “Where am I?” He asked weakly, chest beginning to pain. He had begun to see stars.

                “You’re in the Forgotten Forest between Baxkos and Lunaris...” Victor answered, and slowly managed to coax him into a seated position.

                Wooyoung held up his hand and shrugged off his assistance. “Forgive me,” he massaged his temples. “I think I may have severely hit my head. I woke up on the forest floor...”

                “I know, that is why I brought you to General Zahi.” Victor soothed. “Since we lost the High Mage and his assistant, I could not bring you to them. They would have known what to do.”

                Wooyoung stilled and looked up.

                “We tell you time and time again not to wander away and look at the results of what happens when you do!”

                “Do not speak to me that way!” Wooyoung was getting frustrated. He was in a different world. He didn’t know who he was to this Victor, he didn’t know what his role, purpose, or function was; he was going to have to learn everything from scratch. It would benefit him against Helios’ plan but it was still alarming because he’d have to work with everyone’s new personalities. His only saving grace was that he had the ploy of amnesia, and he was a quick study.

                “I’m sorry, your lordship. You are assisting our kingdom and I should be treating you better. I overstepped my boundaries.” Victor immediately apologised. So unlike the one he knew.

Wooyoung slowly came to sit up and looked around. He noticed the shadows of Zahi’s soldiers around them.

                “I have some questions, and no matter how silly they may be, just answer them, the both of you.” Victor looked upon him confused but nodded nonetheless, Zahi came slowly out from the shadows and seemed a tad more reserved. “How old am I?”

                Victor cleared his throat, “29.”

                Wooyoung nodded. “Wow...okay. Where am I from?”

                “You are from the region called Astrum, which is within the kingdom of Inferna, which opposes Baxkos,” Victor answered.

                Wooyoung leaned forward. “Is the flag of Baxkos grey?”

                “Yes.” Both answered.

                “The longer we stay away from the encampment the more likely someone or some being who we do not want to overhear this conversation, will. You should speak of these things there.” Zahi said and held out his hand.

                Two kingdoms at war, and he was a lord to a region in one. Just his bloody luck! Opening his eyes he peered at the unwavering Victor and Zahi.     “First, why does Victor bear the uniform of the enemy and Sano wear Zahi’s?”

               Victor’s face darkened considerably and his hands clenched into fists. Zahi looked even less comfortable. What was going on here?

               “I will answer when we are safely within the camp.” Victor assured, “but only there.” He was glancing around at the surrounding soldiers with scorn. Zahi looked apprehensive but he eventually nodded.

               “It would be best...”

               Wooyoung let them pull him to his feet but still did not budge. “Forgive me, for not trusting. Once I...” He stared back towards the camp. “I refuse to be within a place that has solid walls. I refuse to be trapped by people who lurk in the darkness!” He aimed that more at Zahi’s people. It was a fear, but one that Helios himself had instilled in him. His wisps lurked in the dark, and his followers who Helios gave permission and access to his cell. He would not be trapped.

                Victor surged forwards then and gripped his arms. “You are not yourself, and you are in fact scaring me.” He admitted. “I will obey your request, but I cannot help but wonder at what has happened to you in the short while since we’ve been apart.”

                Wooyoung went tight-lipped. Maybe he shouldn’t have let that little fear creep into his bones and his words. But truly, he did not want to be put in a vulnerable position. “If I could tell you I would, but until you prove trustworthy to me...I will not.”

                A tense expression passed over Victor’s features but he gave him a curt nod. Wooyoung allowed himself to be led back to the encampment and found himself seated within a large tent. As he managed to quiet his body shakes and the anxiety, he finally managed to commit to the discussion.

                “We would have to start from the beginning of this madness.” Victor said with a deep sigh. “I don’t know how much you remember, if anything at all, so I suppose I will tell you as if you know nothing.”

                “That would be best.”

                “Five years ago, all the lands surrounding this area were independent and strong-willed. They supported themselves and received compensation for their produce and goods from the kingdoms.” Victor laid out a map of the land between them. Wooyoung’s eyes widened. It was exactly the same as the map between Baxkos and Inferna, the only difference was name changes. His eyes landed on a mountain and rested his fingertip on it.

                “The region of the High Mages,” he said, and received a sigh of relief.

                “Yes, of which only two remain.”

                Wooyoung’s brows knitted together. “Two?”

                “Yes...” Zahi said quietly. “One who was on our side until someone vanished and then reappeared and was then ambushed.”

                Wooyoung rolled his eyes. “Look, you can rub it into me as much as you want, but I can’t remember. I’m sorry I don’t because then I would feel the necessary remorse. I can’t change whatever happened, but at least try and be accommodating so I can remedy it!” He was getting frustrated. Zahi never treated him like this, so it was wearing on his nerves.

                “You have to understand why I’m treating you this way.”

                “I do, but you’re being an and hindering any form of recuperation and rehabilitation I could be having right now. I do not even know your role in all of this but so far you’re just pissing me off. You might have a power I need, but if you persist in being an utter consider whatever services I had previously agreed to providing you at a standstill.” Zahi flushed and sat down. Odd. He would never get used to it. He returned his attention to Victor who was biting his lip and holding back a smile. “Please...continue.”

                “The other mage was a woman named Turina, captured by Baxkos. We don’t know how they are controlling her, but we assume that if we do not act quickly the situation will continue to turn against us in this atrocious situation.” Victor rubbed his forehead. “I fear if we don’t hurry, they will gain a second one and create even more dangerous situations.”

                Wooyoung felt a pull in his gut. He knew who at Victor spoke of. Junho’s face flashed in his mind and he grit his teeth.

                “What abilities do we have? Asides from our insane jumping and running abilities,” He needed a change of topic for the moment. He needed to know in what ways he could cause Helios pain.

                The two of them collapsed into their seats. Zahi ran his hands roughly back through his hair before finally answering. “You are skilled in sword combat, which I have witnessed multiple times. In addition, you in particular are very strong in the Magic Arts – especially deep magic-

                “Okay, how do you know I’m not some doppelganger?”

                Victor shrugged and reached up and opened up his cloak a ways. His fingers felt so cool against his skin. “This scar...”

                Wooyoung tried to look down. Rolling his eyes he reached up and felt it. He indeed had a scar. “Where did I get this from? How do you know I have it? Even a scar could be copied...”

                “Yes, General Hwang, how do you know he has it?” Zahi wondered accusingly.

                Victor shrugged and smiled sheepishly at the questions. “Well...you got it sparring with my brother, and I remember having to bandage you up afterwards-

                Wooyoung groaned in irritation, but still flushed. Victor was touching him intimately but he didn’t know how far that went. And, of course, both Victor and Zahi would be generals – that could only mean one thing.

                “I know of the scar, but Wooyoung...do you really remember nothing of who you are?” The distress in Victor’s voice made him queasy. It seemed unnatural now, to hear concern in his voice, wanting to look after him. 

                “Well, the fact that you are here doesn’t surprise me.” Zahi added. “A message from the Queen came before you did...”

                “Who is the Queen?”

                Both Victor and Zahi stared at him with wide eyes and above all, shock. Zahi bowed immediately but then burst into laughter. “This will be one for the record books. Jang Wooyoung felled due to a memory stealing curse, how ironic. You do not even remember our Queen, our ruler.”

                Wooyoung hauled himself off the bed and stood before him. “As much as you find all of this amusing, I truly regret attempting to find you for help. Yes, I do not remember. Memory curses and charms are among the most effective and devastating forms of magic, they change whole histories. If I managed to get myself ambushed, which is at times very unlikely, I cannot help but wonder then where my assistance was. If Baxkos does indeed have two High Mages, do you understand how much a disadvantage you are already facing? They probably know of this forest and have their spies...”

                Zahi went quiet once more.

                “I knew all those secret trips into Baxkos were going to catch up with you at some point. Last time the Commander found out he swore if we let it happen again he would demote me.”

                “Would be well deserved!” Zahi shot at Victor.

                “Shh!” Wooyoung stole back and gripped Victor’s neck and rubbed his thumbs over his jawline. He knew this was right because Victor visibly relaxed. That at least, gave him some comfort. “Sano is your Commander, right?”

                A light finally returned to Victor’s eyes, “yes, your lordship.”

                “Alright, I think my memories will come back – but in the meantime, you will have to act as my memories until they return. I remember Sano so it should be fine. Just take me through the steps, keep me grounded as you always have.” Victor nodded and took a deep breath. “Now tell me what we’re doing out here.”

                This time the older man groaned. Wooyoung let himself be amused until he was looking over Victor and all he could see was the image of him and Chansung distended from the ceiling of his basement, their blood dripping onto the glyph. Breathing coming in sharper and quicker pants, the two had sat him back on the cot and leaned him forward. This never happened to him. In the span of less than a day he had three panic attacks and lost his temper. When he was calm again Victor was seated beside him. “I worry about you...perhaps we should head back to Lunaris and get you checked by the physician.”

                “No, I’m not ready for that yet. Why are we scouting?”

                “We were to go to Baxkos to observe the slave auction. We fear our High Mage may have not only been taken captive but put on the market. Remember-

                Wooyoung felt a sharp pain in his skull. Memories of a life not his engulfed his mind, memories of training, , fighting, laughter, condescension, apprehension, consolation.

 

                “I’m here. We’re getting you to safety.” Junho said firmly.

                “We can’t let them get away!”

               

                Wooyoung’s eyes widened. “I...remember something. Junho was there...there was fighting. He said we needed to get to safety.”

                “Yes...” Victor confirmed.

                “They attacked me and Junho and I...couldn’t save him-

                “We were outnumbered. Helios’ right-hand man was there after all, as well as Turina, and his lead attack division.” Zahi tried to assure, but even he seemed troubled by the development. “We are here now and we need to make sure none of our troops fall into their hands. The best thing we can hope to accomplish is getting Junho back.”

                Already Wooyoung had failed to keep Junho safe. He couldn’t help but wonder what happened to the others. “We must go to Baxkos. I need to know if he’s there or not. I know we probably cannot smuggle them out, but as long as we know where they may be going, we can plan from there.”

                Victor smirked, “now you’re sounding like your old self.”

                Wooyoung had to tap into the dreamscape Wooyoung, especially if he wanted to survive. Something clicked in his mind and he looked over at Zahi. “And you, if they had information about us, then I wasn’t just wandering, I had a reason to go after them, so stop blaming me.”

                Zahi rolled his eyes.

                “So, we can do magic here...”

                Zahi nodded, and committed finally to the conversation, “yes.”

                That was all Wooyoung needed to know, and since Zahi was with him that made their odds even better. The most troubling task for him was making sure he gathered everyone who was within the rune circles, and figuring out who could dispel the dream. He knew what Helios had used to initiate and activate it, he knew who he needed to find, and he knew the incantation. Of course, there was also finding Min and getting whatever his other self had told him about. Doing that and assembling everyone at the same time would be tedious. The other options were killing Helios in this universe to end the ritual, or figuring out the puzzle of Nichkhun and Chansung’s importance and waking everyone in that way. However, killing Helios was not an option in this dreamscape if he was the center of the first dream. They would be trapped like this forever until they all wasted away, if that was the case. He would have to mull over everything. Perhaps while they headed into the enemy capital he could.

                “You sure you lost your memories? You’re acting normal...”

                “I’m getting there,” Wooyoung assured with a smile. “We should continue the mission. How far from Baxkos are we?”

                “Half a day’s ride, we’ll give you tonight to rest and be there by tomorrow evening.”

                “Excellent...” That would not only give him time to delve into the other Wooyoung’s psyche, but he could think about how to end the ritual without too many casualties. Leaning into Victor’s side, he took a deep breath and finally relaxed. “I’m exhausted at the moment, but I have one final question?”

                “Of course...” Victor said.

                Wooyoung faced Zahi.

                “Even in my condition, I can only assume that you are still hidden and withholding your forces because I hadn’t convinced you to join us in the fight yet, correct?” Wooyoung asked.

                As a slow, kind smile slid across those plump lips, Wooyoung felt utmost relief. “While I do want you to rest, Wooyoung, I will admit that you are indeed enigmatic and powerful. Even felled by a memory curse, you still function at a high capacity in this war.” Zahi rose and bowed slightly, “I will debrief you a little and then go further into detail in the morning before you head out. As I said, a message came from the Queen, but another also came from the Commander, which is why...” Zahi paused and took a deep breath. “This situation isn’t very surprising to me...”

                “Oh?” Wooyoung wanted to slam his fist into his face. Zahi had been testing him the whole time.

                “Seems fate is always on your side of the war,” Zahi came to stand. “Some of my men will be meeting with one of our informants first where we’ll get official passes for the auction. From there, we’ll head to a small underground faction. We’ll be meeting up with our inside intel so we can get updates on Baxkos. However, I think you will be going in the opposite direction.”

                “Alright...” He murmured. He couldn’t help but feel exhausted. He didn’t want to argue. He just wanted rest. When he was finally able to settle down, a gentle hand touched his shoulder and hot breath blew over his ear.

                “You will be travelling with me in the morn. I encourage you to rest and I will go over the mission with you.”

                The amount of relief at those words made him finally relax. Victor’s hand fell away from his shoulder and Wooyoung somehow managed to succumb to his exhaustion.

Wooyoung awoke to the sound of rain pelting against the canvas tent. Opening his eyes he looked across from him at the empty cot. Coming to stand up he slowly crept to the entrance of the tent and heard low voices.

                “I would rather him rest as much as needs be. I cannot be blamed for you or your brother’s feelings. You chose to put yourself in that position, and your brother abandoned us. It was originally your idea in the beginning even though we were against it – you’re too deep in this mess now. You shouldn’t even be here!” That was Zahi.

                “That’s exactly why I feel sneaking into Baxkos’ center is going to be against you.” Victor argued. “You don’t have any right to throw in my face how faulty the plan was. Look how it’s kept Baxkos away from Lunaris, it only backfired because Baxkos happened upon the revolutionary’s forces, and now look at the mess we’re in – because you didn’t help in the first place. And don’t bring my brother into this, the only reason he left...was because he thought it would keep Lunaris safe. He’s been missing for ages, and no one else volunteered for what I’m doing, so your argument is pointless. We couldn’t risk sending Wooyoung because of his central role in the rebellion anyway. He agreed with me and so far it’s working.”

                “Yes, and we can clearly see the results of his rash decisions. I have a lot of respect for him, but not for the safety of the kingdom. We do not know what his priorities actually are, no matter how blindly you trust him. I had my own reservations about you committing to that plan but Wooyoung felt it best you did just before his memories were lost.” Zahi defended. “Look, I don’t want to see this end badly either...but we don’t have a choice. As for meeting Min, I’ve been told she’s in a small community on the way so it’s just convenient. I trust you can handle that. Wooyoung seems most comfortable with you at the moment, so I don’t mind if he goes with you instead of us. If I go by the Queen’s message, he’s meant to go that way...”

                Wooyoung would encounter Min already, this was perfect. He slowly drifted back to his cot and took a seat. It hit him then. In all his life he had felt loneliness, and when he gained his companions that feeling vanished. Now, he felt completely isolated. He recalled everything from the other world. Victor’s brother could only be Chansung since they would be twins in this world. His heart was heavy. Loneliness; he was sure that was what he was feeling. When he attempted to go back to sleep he gave up, there was no way that he could. He got himself ready, and as he finished Victor entered.

                “Oh! You’re up – and surprisingly dressed.” His face was masked with genuine surprise.

                “I take it normally I don’t dress myself.”

                “Well, not that exactly but usually I...oh nevermind. You’re all set and we’ll be leaving camp in thirty minutes.” Victor informed and motioned to exit.

                “Wait...Victor.”

                “Yes?”

                “What happened to your brother?”

                Victor’s expression darkened. “He was last seen in your territory, Astrum. No one has seen him since.”

                “If you work for Baxkos, why do they need him?”

                Victor looked away. “I don’t know. I haven’t been able to figure it out yet.” He left no room for more questions and left.

                He didn’t like this feeling. He knew it well enough, he didn’t need it again. His resolve was set, be it in this dream or reality, he would end Helios, and that was a promise. Feeling lightheaded, he felt sick, and a cold sweat broke out over his forehead and down his back. Gasping, he collapsed to his knees.

                “Wooyoung!”

                He looked unseeing as he struggled to breathe.

               

                “Wooyoung, please calm down! Junho urged.

 

                Wooyoung clawed at the ground, “J-Junho...”

 

                “I don’t think this is a good idea...Wooyoung.” Junho whispered against his shoulder.

                “No matter what happens, I’ll keep you safe.” He said gently...

 

                Tears rushed to his eyes. “I’m sorry.”

 

                “Where is my son?!”

                Wooyoung remained low to the ground. “I do not know-

                “Liar!”

 

                He couldn’t hold on anymore. He collapsed and succumbed to the darkness.

***

A/N: Next chapter: Chapter 2: Confusion Over Identity