Epilogue: Life Has Many Paths

The Prince of the Underworld

Final Epilogue! Thanks for reading!

*

            There was little to be done when a young boy was being stubborn, Madam Jang often thought. She sat beside a little one with sandy brown hair and grey eyes, a pout on his face. “Do you want to talk about it?” She asked, but this only made his pout grow deeper, if possible. “I wonder if my own little boy is going to be as stubborn as you.”

            “I’m not stubborn.” He grumbled.

            “Well that’s a start. Now why don’t you tell me what happened?”

            She was given a little ‘humph’ and couldn’t help but laugh. Then she felt the little one in her belly. “Oh! Nichkhun! I felt a kick!” This got his attention and he turned quickly. “Come, come,” she said and he came to sit beside her. Slowly he rested a hand on her belly. His expression brightened immensely.

            “He’s strong huh?”

            “Oh yes.” She chuckled.

            Nichkhun’s small face saddened. “I couldn’t...protect my friend.” He said and looked down at his hands.

            “Which friend?”

            “The one papa said is going to protect me...”

            “Oh, is this Taecyeon?”

            Nichkhun nodded and then he was pouting again. “Papa yelled at me because I called him my friend. How can he protect me? We’re both three...”

            Madam Jang sighed and hugged him with one arm. “What did your mum say?”

            Nichkhun gave a small shrug, “mama never says anything.”

            “Well, the Ok family has protected yours for generations.” She said.

            “What is...generations?” Nichkhun asked.

            “Generations are all the people of your family that go back in time.” She explained. “The Wolves of Lunaris have been protecting your family since...the time of your great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandmother.”

            “That’s a lot of greats huh?” Nichkhun laughed. “Do you have a lot of greats too Madam Jang?”

            “Oh yes, but we live a lot longer.”

            “Because you’re...immortal?”

            “Yes.”

            Nichkhun sighed, “papa doesn’t like immortals, right?”

            Madam Jang hummed. “Well, it isn’t that he doesn’t like us. He just...doesn’t understand us. Which is why he asked me to come and share my knowledge with you and your family.”

            Nichkhun tilted his head, “why me and not Nichan?”

            “Your father wants your brother to be a great warrior in strength.”

            “And me?”

            “A great warrior of knowledge.”

            Nichkhun tapped his chin. “So...I can be smart?”

            “That’s right.”

            “Will you still be my teacher when your baby comes?”

            Madam Jang laughed, “of course! Although, a good friend of mine Marigold might teach you for a while.”

            “Marigold? The lady with red hair?”

            Madam Jang nodded.

            “Where is your baby’s papa?”

            Madam Jang became flustered and laughed, “well, I’ll have to tell you when you’re older.”

            “How come?”

            “Because you’ve got to learn a bit more about magic so you understand.”

            “Is he a magic baby?” Nichkhun said as he rested his hand against her belly.

            Madam Jang smiled, “yes, he is.”

            “Can...” Nichkhun looked up at her. “Can we be friends, too?”

            “I would love it if you were friends. Nichkhun, you can be friends with my little one and Taecyeon all you want.”

            Nichkhun smiled brightly then. “Okay.”

            “Now, what’s say we get some lunch?”

            “Yes!”

 

*

 

            “Mama, I had the dream about the boy with green eyes again.”

            Looking down at her small one, Madam Jang came to sit beside him. “What happened this time?”

            “He was hurting.” Wooyoung stared up at the ceiling. “I got that weird feeling again. I don’t want him to hurt, mama. I want to save him.”

            “You’re a little small to be saving anyone, my silly kiddo.”

            “Will I be as strong as you one day?”

            She came to sit beside him and brushed back his hair, “I think you’ll be even stronger than me.”

            Wooyoung sat up, “really?!”

            “But you’ve got to study.”

            “Ugh!”

 

*

 

            Wooyoung!

            Looking around, the young boy stood up and looked at the vast forest behind him. Noticing a wisp, he turned his attention back to the house and spotted his mother. Feeling that strange pull he felt sometimes, he crept back until he was behind the garden shed and then sped after the wisp. “I hope you’re not leading me to trouble!” He said as he chased after it. “Mama scolded me really bad last time.” He grumbled and then noticed a small white cat. Stopping, he smiled, “I haven’t seen you in ages!”

            Before he could reach the cat, she disappeared. Soon he came to a little grove and heard some sniffling. Coming to a very beautiful tree, Wooyoung walked around it until he came to another little boy. Feeling the tender brush of the wisp at his hand, Wooyoung looked down and then over as the wisp settled beside the other boy. Then, the most beautiful green eyes were looking up at him.

            Gasping, Wooyoung came to kneel before him, grinned and held out his hand, “you’re the boy from my dreams.”

            When the other didn’t move to take his hand Wooyoung shrugged.

            “Are you out here by yourself?”

            “Are you going to hurt me?”

            “Me? Do I look like I will?” Wooyoung asked.

            “I don’t know...”

            “Well I won’t, okay?” He huffed.

            This made the other boy curl up, “I’m sorry.”

            “Ah, it’s okay! I’m not mad. You know it isn’t safe out here by yourself, right?”

            “Then why are you out here by yourself?”

            Wooyoung flushed and then thought of his mom, but then he remembered the voice, “you called my name, didn’t you?”

            This made the boy very confused.

            “I don’t know your name.”

            “I’m Wooyoung.” He said and held out his hand again.

            Slowly, the other reached out. “I’m Junho.”

            The moment their hands connected, Wooyoung felt a warm feeling fill his body. “I think we were supposed to meet, Junho.”

 

*

 

            “Mama...”

            Turning to her small one, Madam Jang stood up upon seeing his hand clasped with another little boy. “Oh my, who is this?” She asked as she came to kneel before them.

            “I found him.” Wooyoung said. “With...a little bit of help.”

            She looked over him sternly. “Where?”

            Wooyoung looked away. “In the old forest...”

            “How many times have I told you not to go in there by yourself?” She scolded.

            “I couldn’t leave him out there by himself!” Wooyoung shot back.

            Noticing the other little boy’s eyes well up with tears he began to apologise profusely, “I’m sorry, I’m sorry!”

            “Shh, shh, it’s okay.” Madam said gently and began to check him over. “As soon as mom goes you always wander off.”

            Wooyoung looked everywhere but at her.

            Madam Jang looked into the eyes of the deepest green she had ever seen. “What’s your name small one?”

            When he hesitated, Wooyoung gripped Junho’s hand and he looked a bit more comfortable. “Junho,” he sniffled.

            “How did you come to be in the woods, Junho?”

            His lower lip trembled, “I was trapped by a scary man. I got away because of Jada.”

            Madam restrained herself from being surprised.

            “Jada...the Witch of the Old Forest?” Wooyoung asked.

            “Shh, quiet Wooyoung.” Madam said. “Did he take you from your family, Junho?”

            Junho shrugged, “I...I don’t remember.”

            Madam frowned but then smiled, “nevermind. How long were you in the forest?”

            Junho looked at the ground, “I ran and ran, and then I walked for a long time.” Suddenly, Junho’s stomach growled and he covered it quickly, cheeks going red.

            Madam smiled, “Well, I think it best you have some food, yes?”

            “I’m hungry too!”

            Madam looked upon her troublesome son and he grinned sheepishly. “I guess since you helped Junho you should get something to eat, but no treats.”

            “Ah! Mama!” Wooyoung grumbled.

            Madam turned to Junho again and held out her hand. “You’re safe here, okay?”

            Slowly but surely he reached out and rested his hand upon hers. The moment their hands connected, Madam felt the power within him. It was very similar to Wooyoung’s but also different.

            Noticing Junho smiling, she said tenderly, “You look happy.”

            He nodded. “You and Wooyoung have warm and kind hands.”

 

*

 

            It was calm, quiet. The smells of the earth surrounded him and moisture filled the air. Slowly opening his eyes, Wooyoung smiled and looked to his left. Junho lay there fast asleep, hand still clutching his. Curling the fingers of his free hand into the damp grass and moss, he slowly came to lay facing him and edged closer. Junho always made his heart race. Gripping his hand tenderly, Wooyoung watched as those beautiful green eyes opened.

            Junho slowly stretched and Wooyoung couldn’t resist poking his stomach. That made Junho blush and he sent a tingle of electricity through Wooyoung’s body.

            “Yah!” Wooyoung pulled him closer and laughed.

            “Your mom is going to kill us...” He grumbled and edged even closer.

            Wooyoung chuckled, but then he grew sad. “I want to go with you.”

            Junho smiled, “You need to keep healing.”

            Wooyoung sighed and looked over Junho slowly. “What am I going to do without you here with me?”

            Junho chuckled, “Do what your mother asked.”

            “Ew, I hear enough about politics between the kingdoms from Nichkhun.” Wooyoung grumbled and made to turn away but Junho gripped his shirt and then smoothed his hand up his neck.

            “I almost lost you.”

            “It wasn’t your fault.”

            “I’m always going to blame myself.” Junho admitted and closed his eyes.

            “Hey, Wren was dabbling in some pretty volatile magic, okay? He also stole you from your homeland and tried to possess you-

            “To get to you! How would he have known-

            Wooyoung kissed Junho deeply. Moving so that he was between Junho’s legs and pinning his hands to the ground, Wooyoung slowly stopped and met his gaze. “Because we’re intended to be together forever, Junho, the rune on you is proof of that.” He said softly. “I’m always going to protect you.”

            Junho wrapped his arms around his neck and kissed him again. “I’m going to protect you too, that’s why I want to be better at magic.”

            Wooyoung grinned, “just to protect me?”

            Junho didn’t answer. He just kissed Wooyoung slow and passionate. That was answer enough. “I love you...”

 

*

 

            “I...I need to tell you something.” Wooyoung said as he sat across from Junho.

            “Why are you so nervous?”

            Wooyoung shrugged, “I think...I have another intended.”

            Junho’s brows rose, “you would have two. Did you have a dream?”

            “I did.”

            “What happened?”

            “I was in the palace of Inferna – in the ballroom. I was dancing with someone.”

            “Wasn’t a girl?”

            “Um, no? Why would you even ask that?”

            Junho chuckled, “just checking. What else happened?”

            Wooyoung looked out the window. “We just kept dancing. Sometimes you join in...” Wooyoung looked over him quietly, “you don’t seem all that surprised.”

            “I...” Junho paused and looked out the carriage window. “Does he have different coloured eyes?”

            “Yes! How do you know that?!”

            “My dream is different.”

            Wooyoung sat beside him and tugged him close, “you dreamt about him?”

            “Mainly when I’m with you, I’ve only dreamt of him once when I was travelling, and that was recently.”

            Wooyoung grinned, “the time we meet him is close then. Do you think you dream of him because of me?”

            “I do blame you.”

            “Junho!”

 

*

                                   

            The room was filled with dignitaries from all across the lands. Nichkhun was beside him and chatting animatedly with other esteemed individuals. Wooyoung had been feeling might strange the whole evening, however. He felt the beckoning. Looking for his mother, she was seated beside Marigold and speaking with northern officials. “Khunnie,” he whispered into his ear.

            “Hmm?”

            “I’m going to see my mum for a second.”

            Nichkhun smiled at him, “go get fresh air in the gardens.”

            Wooyoung rose up and squeezed his shoulder. Walking away, he came to kneel beside his mother. “How long must we be here?”

            “Record time my son.” She chuckled, “all done mingling?”

            “Who got married again?”

            “Queen Hwang’s first born son.” Marigold answered.

            “What’s his name?” Wooyoung asked.

            Marigold shrugged.

            “Mom, you don’t even know!”

            “Minsung you two idiots.” His mother slapped both their hands. “I bet neither of you even paid him or his wife respects.”

            “We came because of you!” Both snapped.

            Watching as his mother rolled her eyes, she looked down at him, “go get fresh air. I’ll fetch you when I’m finished.”

            Wooyoung grinned, “yes master.”

            “Shush you.” She shooed him. “No trickery or offensive magic.”

            Waving her off, Wooyoung looked over the crowd as he went. He had no interest in this party, but the feeling in his chest, he was meant to be here. Coming to the gardens, he smiled as seeing small blue flowers, and beside them were larger orange ones. For some reason he thought they should be different, like red or purple. Then, he saw him. Their eyes locked and he stared mindlessly into the red and amber irises. He wore the Hwang family colours, red and black, and his hair was in the signature Hwang braid. He sat quietly on a stone ledge, flowers all around him, and a book dangling from his hand.

            This felt so very, very, very nostalgic to Wooyoung.

            “Bit of an odd time to be in the gardens reading, isn’t it?”

            “I’m not fond of social functions, marriages included.”

            “Ah, but this is all about business and...politics.” It was like Wooyoung had had this conversation before. “They’re important you know?”

            “Yes, I know you of the Jang family are very good in the political and business realm.”

            Wooyoung looked down at his clothes. The green and black of the Jang family, plus his insignia all gave him away. “You know of my family?”

            “Of course.” He chuckled and Wooyoung found it to be the most pleasing sound.

            Slowly the man came to stand before him and Wooyoung was even more enthralled than before. He held out his hand, “Jang Wooyoung.”

            His hand was clasped firmly, “Hwang Chansung.”

            The very welcome warmth that filled Wooyoung’s body made him swoon. And then he realised this was one of the prince’s of Inferna. “Yah! You’re royalty!” He stood back and made to bow but Chansung stopped him and laughed.

            “You know...I have the strangest feeling.” He said. “Have had actually, the strangest feeling for a long time.”

            Wooyoung almost closed his eyes as a tender hand cupped his jaw.

            “You make me lose my words.”

            “That pleases me.”

            “I can tell.”

 

*         

           

            “Ah! I’ve never been so frustrated in my life!” Wooyoung yelled into his pillow.

            Junho chuckled beside him. “I don’t know how you’re going to top his latest gift.” Junho said as he looked over the delicate gold bracelet around Wooyoung’s left wrist. An identical one rested on Junho’s right. They both had agate gemstones of the deepest green.

            Wooyoung looked over it, “same colour as your eyes.”

            Junho blushed. “The first compliment he gave me was about my eyes.”

            Sitting up, Wooyoung began to ponder.

            Junho’s chuckle brought his attention back to him. “Alright, I like him. If he can keep you on your toes like this he’s definitely alright in my book.”

            “I think you like him a whole lot more than you let on.”

            Junho rested back against the pillows. “Get ready for the ball.”

            “He gave both of us a gift.” Wooyoung grumbled. “I never expected that.”

            This made Junho grip his hand. “Then what you give him next needs to be of both of us. The only thing I can think of that goes as deep as what you require is bond magic.”

            Wooyoung snapped his fingers. “You have given me a wonderful idea.”

            “Care to share.”

            Hopping up from the bed, Wooyoung finally got dressed. “The pleasure bond just for tonight.”

            Junho blushed, “but who..?”

            Wooyoung returned to his love and gripped his hands, “you.”

            Junho went even more red and he closed his eyes as Wooyoung kissed him. “Okay...” He whispered and succumbed to another kiss. “Does this mean you’ll also connect him to you?”

            “Mmhmm.”

            “He’s going to be so overwhelmed. I like where this is going.”

            Wooyoung grinned, “I thought you might.” He then looked over his beautiful mage slowly. “Will you not come?”

            “I’ll be here when you get home, ready and waiting.”

            Wooyoung groaned, “I love you so much.”

            When he finally managed to leave, Junho was a sated mess on the bed. The carriage ride to Inferna was nerve-wracking and exciting at the same time. When he finally arrived, the ball was in full swing. Wooyoung found Chansung surrounded by children of other high ranking and upper class officials. He could see the discomfort on his face and smiled when he looked up.

            Come to save me from these volatile offspring, have you?

            Wooyoung shuddered and entered the circle. You’ve got to learn to capture the attention of your audience, my prince.

            “Ah, Jang, it is wonderful to see you.” A charming man said.

            “Always fashionably late though.” A lady said behind her fan.

            “Wouldn’t be me if I was early.” He said with a wink.

            That caused a wave of swoons from both ladies and gentlemen.

            I don’t know how you put up with it. I’m already tired.

            Wooyoung laughed at a jest made by one of the younger men in the crowd. Shall I take you dancing? Wooyoung asked and pressed their thighs together.

            Come away with me.

            Wooyoung watched Chansung rise up and walk away. He gave the crowd a little more attention before excusing himself and chasing after the prince of Inferna. As they stepped out into the fresh air of the gardens, Chansung launched a volley of energy at the sky. Dozens of sparks of magic flourished against the darkness.

            “Beautiful anger.” Wooyoung teased.

            “I do not have the affinity for these frivolous events.” Chansung admitted and kept his gaze upon the sky.

            “Perhaps not, but you are giving me a good time with this courtship. I almost couldn’t think of what to give you next.” Wooyoung admitted.

            Chansung turned to him, “I take if you have?”

            “I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t.” He said and stepped closer to him. “Dance with me under the stars.”

            Chansung held out his hand and Wooyoung took it. He let Chansung guide him and he swooned as the prince’s arm came to settle around his waist.

            “I know I’m going to win you over after tonight.”

            Chansung smiled, “you’ve made me curious.”

            Wooyoung brought him closer, “making you curious is such a delicious accomplishment.”

            Chansung blushed. “You’re a dangerous flirt, Jang Wooyoung.”

            “Making you blush is also delectable. One day I’m going to make both you and Junho blush side by side and it’s going to send me over the edge.”

            This of course had the prince even more red and burying his face into his shoulder.

            “Oh, my cute bashful prince.”

 

*

 

            The sky was growing dark as evening came on. Wooyoung watched as wisps began to dance all around as he went. Noticing a familiar cart and horse ahead, he appeared beside it. “Hello my love.”

            Junho turned and gasped, “Yah! You’re finally home!”

            Wooyoung laughed as Junho ran into his arms. “It’s good to be back.” He said as they continued on. “Mom sends her well wishes.”

            Wooyoung nodded, “did you go anywhere while I was gone?”

            “No, I visited Nichkhun and Taecyeon. The unity between the different kingdoms is truly inspiring. Even Queen Hwang was a bit nice.” Junho gripped his hand, “did you find her?”

            Wooyoung nodded. “We met in Panoptes.”

            Junho halted and pulled him back. “No one goes there...”

            “I had the strangest experience, too.” Wooyoung said as he looped Junho’s fingers together. “A being of silver and blue appeared before me.”

            This made Junho frown, “a being of deep magic?”

            “Yeah...” Wooyoung answered and held onto Junho’s hand tighter. “It said ‘thank you for this new future’.”

            Junho looked just as confused as Wooyoung felt. “What did Marigold say?”

            “She didn’t know what to think either, but she said that the being felt familiar.”

            “A new future...” Junho said as they finally came to a familiar grove. Lanterns lined the walkway and they continued on. “I wonder what that means.”

            “I imagine it has something to do with other experiences we’ve had. The nostalgia we’ve felt around some people, friends and enemies. Like that Toren fellow.”

            Junho gripped his hand more firmly. “I like to think of the more pleasant ones. Like the rune both me and Chansung have on our hips...” This of course made Wooyoung hold Junho around his middle and grip the spot the rune in question resided. This got Junho groaning and leaning into him. “It’s a mark of deep love, Wooyoung.”

            “I know.”

            “Perhaps...in another life, you placed them upon us.”

            “Hmm, the idea that my love for you both potentially transcending the boundaries of different universes...is truly amazing.”

            “You would be capable of something like that.”

            Wooyoung pulled Junho back to him and looked him over. “I missed you.”

            Junho walked into his arms and kissed him hotly. “Missed you too.”

            Wooyoung hugged him close, lifted him up and spun him around. Junho’s laughter filled the grove and Wooyoung felt immense happiness.

            “Please don’t ever go back there.”

            “Can’t anyway, Marigold set up pretty powerful barriers around it,” Wooyoung said and couldn’t help but kiss Junho over and over. “Just wanna kiss you the whole night.”

            “You’re just gonna kiss him all night and not say hello to me first?”

            Wooyoung grinned and looked over at Chansung who leaned in the doorway of their small, quaint little home. Wooyoung kissed Junho once again, making Chansung grumble, and pulled his wonderful sage over to him before leaping into his arms. “Hello my love.”

            Chansung chuckled.

            Junho hugged them both before making his way inside.

            Wooyoung blushed as Chansung leaned down and slowly gave him the sweetest kiss. “Welcome home, Wooyoung.”

            Hugging Chansung tightly, he felt most content and  happy. Releasing him and watching as Chansung made his way inside and kiss Junho, Wooyoung smiled. Turning and looking about the forest he caught the sight of dancing wisps. Breathing deeply, he looked up into the night sky filled with boundless number of stars. "Life can have so many paths..." He whispered. "What a life we have had so far."

            "Wooyoung, come eat!" Junho called. "Chansung made all our favourites."

            "Okay!" Smiling, he turned in and closed the door, and said fondly, "I'm home."

FIN.

*

Author's Note: Here we are, the end of the Immortal Wooyoung Series. I really wanted to write this epilogue because these would have been scenes in the sequels I had planned. And also, because of closure on if it all worked! It is really bittersweet to be finishing this story after so long. It took two years to plan and then two years to write it lol. Much too long. I hope the ending is satisfactory and if you do have questions, please do not hesitate to ask! Despite my long hiatus, I'm very much appreciative that this story still had some readers when I got back to it. I am most happy to have been able to finish it. As always, thanks for reading and commenting!

- Gummi