The Baxkos Prince: The One with the Frozen Heart

The Prince of the Underworld

 A/N: Very short chapter, I'm already a week behind schedule lol. Reminder that this chapter is in Nichkhun's perspective!               

*

                Nichkhun looked up from his book as his sister burst into his room. Sherleen, the youngest, shot up and scoffed as she neared them. “Sister, must you be so loud?” She grumbled. Nichkhun couldn’t resist smiling. “Or at least tell us you bring good news...”

                “I overheard General Toren say they received word that the trickster Wooyoung has been felled.” She said as she sat herself beside him.

                “What do you mean by ‘felled’?” Nichkhun asked, trying to quell his curiosity.

                “High Mage Turina is said to have hit him with a spell of some kind and he’s disappeared.” She said with a smile. “I guess it will mean less stress for uncle.”

                Nichkhun rolled his eyes.

                “Well, a little anyway. General Toren has brought the captives of Wooyoung’s rebellion to the dungeon. There’s a rumour they might be placed in the slave auction-

                “Well, ‘tis obviously a trap to lure out General Zahi and his band of rogue beasts if that’s the case.” Sherleen sneered.

                “Hush now...” Nichkhun sighed. “The only reason we’re at war with the Wolves is because father originally wanted to extract resources from their territories. You both know they didn’t treat them very well.”

                “I know...” Sherleen huffed and saddened. “Don’t speak of father, brother. Even if he wasn’t an altogether pleasant man, he was still our father.”

                “Sorry...”

                “Besides, I have mixed feelings about Jang being offed. He was rather dashing, but he killed our parents. Oh! There’s also word that a hanging will occur.” Yanin whispered, ignoring their conversation.

                Nichkhun glanced at her and set down his book. “How do you manage to always happen upon these conversations, Yanin? I’m suspicious that they’ve just started saying them near you to stop you from harassing them because you will find out anyway.” She flushed and looked away. “Oh, or is it someone in particular who tells you such things?”

                She smacked his leg and rose to her feet. “You know I cannot take a husband until uncle gives permission, and he will never allow it.”

                Nichkhun gripped her shoulder comfortingly. He too knew the chains of imprisonment. Ever since their parents had been killed and his uncle succeeded their lives had changed, and not in good ways. Rising to his feet he set his book back on the shelf and a knock came to the door. “Come in...”

                The vice-commander entered and bowed, thrice upon realising his sister’s were with him. “Your highnesses, Nichkhun,” he specified, “General Toren would like to speak with you in private.”

                “Will you be present, vice-commander?” The tall man shook his head making his stomach twist and turn. “Then I wish to decline.”

                “He said if you do not, he will extend then invitation instead to Yanin as she is next in line for the throne. Please, we do not wish for you to end up like your older brother...”

                Both Sherleen and Yanin were at his sides in seconds and begged him to listen. Nichkhun assured them it would be alright and nodded regretfully in the vice-commander’s direction. Leaving with him, he closed the door and sighed. “Taecyeon...since when did you bend to his demands?”

                His vice-commander bowed apologetically. “Forgive my weakness, but if I do not obey, I will lose the chance to continue protecting you like your brother wanted.”

                “I haven’t seen Victor as of late, where was he sent?”

                “The captain was sent on the reconnaissance mission to capture Jang and the remainder of his renegades.” Taecyeon spat the trickster’s name. “He personally volunteered for the job. Toren specifically told him he was a Lieutenant, not a general, but Hwang pleaded to go.”

                “You seem to wish he had not.” Nichkhun said, and noted the fluster which came over the vice-commander.

                “I will not validate what you are insinuating. I merely express concern. Victor does not have the same qualifications that I or Kim Min-Jun have. It would have been better if we had gone after him. We would not have failed to capture him.” Taecyeon boasted confidently.

                Nichkhun positioned his arms behind his neck and laced his fingers together. “He most certainly acts like a general though, does he not? I find Hwang very admirable. He does not like to obey authority, and abuses it. Attractive, right?” The full blush on the vice-commander’s cheeks was well-worth the teasing. “Still, I agree, I imagine he causes much frustration and of all different kinds.”

                “Please, I plead you cease the innuendo, your highness. Again, I dismiss your theories, they are quite wrong.”

                “He acts strangely sometimes, and refuses to cut his hair – which General Toren requests most often.” Nichkhun mused.

                “I have heard that the auction dates are constantly changing, your highness.”

                Surprised at the change of topic, but quite delighted at the subject, Nichkhun grinned. “Oh? And how did you come upon this information?”

                “Some of the soldier’s with connections the underground have been spreading the rumour. There’s been talk amongst other soldiers as well as to why this is. Some believe it is because Helios wants to bring in certain individuals because of either who he is auctioning or who he wants to attend. Victor is not here so you don’t have your partner in crime, I encourage you to stay away.”

                “You’re just jealous that I go out into the night with the dear captain and not you, vice-commander.”

                “Your highness!” Taecyeon said with accused tone.

                “Enjoying yourselves, are you?”

                A shiver of discomfort flew up Nichkhun’s arms and he faced the General. He was a tall, but thick man. His armour glinted in the sunlight and his cloak settled behind him. His silver hair disillusioned people, making them assume he was older. He was stout, very powerful, and very cunning. Striking auburn eyes swiftly ran over him and unsettled him.

                “I will be taking my leave, sir.” Taecyeon said monotonously.

                “Remain, vice-commander, for you are relevant in this venture.” Taecyeon straightened up.

                “You’re sending me, the prince, on a task?”

                “What else are you good for? Besides, you always wish to be outside the palace walls. If anything were to happen to you the necessary people will of course be executed, and your sister Yanin will succeed.”

                Nichkhun hated his way of speaking, and he especially disliked how he spoke about his family. “What is it?”

                “You will be the representative at the Alanchi auction event in a couple weeks’ time.”

                Nichkhun immediately made to reject his offer.

                “Of course, if you do not wish to go, dear Yanin may do just fine. Perhaps she would be even better suited to be sold within the auction itself-

                “General, while you are authority, I do not believe it appropriate to speak or threaten the royal family in that manner,” Taecyeon warned.

                “Hm,” Toren smirked. “Anyway, those are your options.”

                “I will go...”

                “Your highness, I do not-

                “Vice-commander,” Toren stalked forward, “while I commend your dedication, I would advise you to back down. You know how I love to make people disappear.”

                “Is there a problem here?”

                Nichkhun physically relaxed upon seeing Victor. “My friend, you have finally returned from your task.” He greeted and motioned him to come forward.

                “Not a moment too soon, either. General, the Commander requests your presence. I have already made my report.”

                The general sent a look in his direction before finally turning on his heel and leaving. When he was a safe distance away, Taecyeon sagged against the wall and shook his head. “Why can you get away with doing that to him and I just...have no power at all?”

                Victor shrugged, “because he has leverage over you. They have already done anything to hinder me and make me out to be a piece of trash. It helps that there is a truce between this kingdom and my mother’s as well.”

                Taecyeon glared.

                “You’re also easy to read...” Victor cooed and brushed at his uniform.

                “How was your venture? Successful?” Nichkhun asked and pulled the captain along with him.

                “Unfortunately no, he eluded me once more. No one knows where he is now.” Victor said as they made their way back to Nichkhun’s wing in the palace.

                “Oh, Yanin eluded to him possibly being in attendance at the auction.” Nichkhun informed him and noticed Taecyeon still scowling. “Perhaps Taecyeon could join us.”

                Victor barked out laughter and held his stomach as they walked. “Truly? Our tight-, rule-loving, goody-two-shoes vice-commander?”

                “Hey!” Taecyeon yelled.

                “No, your highness...”

                “It’s not like the Inferna rebellion group has disbanded.” Taecyeon grumbled. “They seem to be gaining more and more popularity these past few months.” Nichkhun nodded in agreement. “I think the situation surrounding the deaths of the royal family and Jang disappearing are all suspicious. If it was intentional, he would have taken out the remainder of the family.”

                “The possibilities and coincidences are all open to consideration, sir.” Victor said. “It seems that there is a lot going on that we aren’t aware of now. I suppose we will find out whether there is truth to any of our questions or theories eventually.”

                “Have you seen the mage yet?” Nichkhun asked, not hiding his curiosity.

                Victor sighed and revealed a key, “I had a feeling you’d want to pay him a visit.”

                Nichkhun tried to snag the key but found himself pulled taut against Victor’s body. Blushing deeply, he closed his eyes as Victor neared. However, a clearing of throat stopped them and Nichkhun looked back at Taecyeon whose face was equally red.

                “I will visit you later, my dear prince.” Victor whispered against his ear.

                Nichkhun knew it wasn’t fair to Taecyeon, but he also didn’t understand their exchanges. He nodded to Victor and allowed himself to be pulled down to the dungeons. Taecyeon was of course not far behind. “What is to happen to him?” Nichkhun inquired softly.

                “Toren has placed him in the auction. I have a feeling he will not last long. Lee Junho has been a major thorn in the conquest.” Victor answered and they stopped outside the cell. “It doesn’t make it better that he was Jang Wooyoung’s right hand man.”

                Nichkhun turned his gaze inwards. The man was chained with his hands above his head, ankles clasped painfully it seemed.

                “Hey, little mage, you’ve got a visitor.”

                No response.

                Nichkhun edged closer and grasped one of the bars. “I never imagined I would ever see you like this...”

                Nichkhun almost stepped back upon those eyes meeting his. There was something in the mage’s eyes that unsettled him greatly. “A visit from the imprisoned prince himself...what an honour.” He spat at his feet and shut his eyes again.

                “Is that what they call me now..?” He looked down at the floor.

                “Your highness-

                “Please, leave us for a while.” He said and smiled at Victor. His companion looked between them before joining Taecyeon a ways away. When he felt they were truly alone, he knelt down. “You’re one of the leaders of the rebellion, how did you get caught?” He scolded lightly.

                The mage shrugged and was watching him again. “There are a lot of things I myself am curious about, how they happened and what led us all to this situation.”

                That unsettled him greatly. “What happened to Wooyoung?”

                Junho sighed, “he was hit with a memory curse, I doubt he remembers anything. Seems the odds were always against us...”

                Nichkhun slowly rested his head against the bars.

                “Why do you seem so troubled by this?”

                “Because...” He trailed off and hugged himself. “Because he would stop the pain.”

                “Do you fear your uncle so much?”

                Meeting the mage’s gaze he nodded briefly. “You should know by now...how much I fear him.”

                “Then work up the nerve to oppose him, do something instead of cowering in fear, prince.” He seethed. “Even if it costs you your life, if you don’t like this life so much, give it up.”

                “It’s not that easy!” He hit the bars and grit his teeth. “I...”

                “Leave me, prince, I wish not to hear this self-pity. If you want to make a difference, you’re going to have to get hurt and dirty your hands to do so.”

                “I admire you and Wooyoung. You’ve shown me that there is freedom beyond these walls. I know he didn’t kill my father and mother by choice...” He said softly.

                “You sound so sure.”

                “I am sure.” He said and looked up, those deep eyes were focused on him once more.

                “That isn’t why you are here. What do you want?”

                Nichkhun gripped his chest and sagged against the bars. Air as cold as a winter’s breeze flew from his mouth. He removed one of his gloves and clasped his pale hand tightly around the bars. “Ever since that night, I have been this way.”

                The mage was crouching before the bars now, chains trailing after him. “You have never been like this before?” He asked.

                Nichkhun shook his head. “We were friends before this...please. I do not think of you any different.”

                Junho sat himself down, a grimace passed over his features quickly.

                Nichkhun looked over the paleness of his hand, his nails and fingertips a pale blue, and felt a tremor of fear within him. “What is it? Just tell me...”

                “It’s one of two things, and neither are very good.” The mage answered. “I assume you feel cold.”

                He nodded.

                “It is either ice venom, which is very rare, but where this has been affecting your body slowly and you can still move, it could be Frozen Heart Syndrome.”

                “What is that..?” He asked, fearing the answer.

                “It means that you are going to die, Horvejkul. Your heart is going to freeze unless you break the curse.” He answered and made his way back to his wooden bed.

                “With what?”

                Junho sighed, “whoever makes you feel warm.”

                Slipping the glove back on his hand, he felt weakness overcome him. “Of all things to happen right now...”

                “Someone has cursed you with this, prince.” Junho said quietly. “Someone with the knowledge of ice and body,” he lay back, “I suggest you find something called the fiery bell. Boil it for thirty minutes, drink the water. It’ll help and slow the syndrome down, but it won’t stop it.”

                “Thank you...”

                Junho sighed. “I appreciate...that you believe in him. He needs more people like that.”

                Nichkhun smiled, “he needs more people like you, who have absolute faith in him.”

Junho made no more response and Nichkhun took his leave. Finding Victor and Taecyeon at a distance, he sighed.

                “I have a request, and since I cannot leave, I require your help.”

                Both stood at attention, “yes?”

                “I need you to find fiery bell for me.”

                “One of us should stay with you.” Taecyeon said softly.

                “I’ll go. I have to pick up some things anyway.” Victor said and fixed his belt. “Anything else?”

                Nichkhun shook his head. They made their way back up, Victor telling them about his skirmish with Jang Wooyoung, and Nichkhun couldn’t help but smile. When they parted ways, he collapsed into Taecyeon and breathed heavily.

                “Nichkhun?”

                “Let me stay like this...” He said softly.

                Taecyeon’s arms tightened around him. “You’re hiding something...”

                Smiling, he opened his eyes and gripped Taecyeon’s cloak. He warmed him so much, and he didn’t even realise it. He just wanted him to see it. “I’m alright...”

                “Liar...”

***

Next Chapter...The Wintry Forest