Changing Histories; Correcting Fates

The Prince of the Underworld

Here we are, the 'final' chapter. Author's Note at the end. Enjoy!

*

My past has tasted bitter for years now,
So I wield an iron fist
Grace is just weakness
Or so I've been told.
I've been cold, I've been merciless
But the blood on my hands scares me to death
Maybe I'm waking up today

I'll be good, I'll be good
And I'll love the world, like I should
I'll be good, I'll be good
I'll be good, I'll be good

 

- Jaymes Young, I’ll Be Good

 

*

 

            Junho sat quietly on the bed. Wooyoung and Chansung were still deeply asleep. Getting up, he showered himself with some cleaning spells before dressing in warm clothing. He quietly exited the room and made his way down to the main floor, grabbed a blanket and then proceeded to the gardens. Hugging himself, he found Madam Jang alone and watching the rising sun. As he came to stand behind her he draped the blanket over her shoulders.

            “Such a beautiful sunrise...” She said quietly.

            Junho looked out and folded his arms across his chest.

            “Wooyoung was born on a very sunny morning.” She said with a smile. “He was so beautiful, so perfect. He’s grown so much...and I never even got to see it.” She covered her eyes. “I...I don’t want him to do it, but Junho...I want this all erased.”

            Swallowing hard, Junho nodded, “I feel the same way.”

            “You all went through so much with Helios. And...I feel so responsible for it.” She gasped and covered . “I just wanted...a child. I just wanted him so much.”

            “Ma, you know this isn’t your fault, right?”

            She turned to him and smiled so brightly, “it’s been so long since I’ve heard you say that.”

            Junho returned the smile and rested an arm about her shoulders. “Our family got big.”

            She laughed and cried all at once. “It did, my goodness, did it ever.”

            Keeping her close, Junho looked out at the rising sun. “We’ve all been through a lot, ma. I think...I’ve finally accepted and understand too what it means for this change.”

            She nodded. “I was hurt at first. I was so hurt. But as you’ve all been healing from the dream and everything that has happened since...I’m...I’m so tired. I just want it all to end.”

            “It will.”

            Both turned to Marigold.

            “I’m going to make sure that our family doesn’t suffer the same fate.”

            Madam Jang held out her hand and Marigold took it. “You know who inherited that stubbornness, right?”

            Surprised, Junho looked between them.

            “Did you tell Junho about Nichkhun and Taecyeon?”

            Madam Jang shook her head.

            “What happened?”

            Marigold and Madam Jang shared a look and then Madam Jang turned to him sadly. “Wooyoung erased his entire being from their memories. You should’ve seen his face when Taecyeon was looking around, and right through him.”

            Junho felt his legs nearly give out. Wooyoung had already started. It was the beginning of the end, and last night truly was the last for them altogether.

            “It’s happening today, isn’t it?” Junho asked.

            This time Marigold nodded.

            “Well, we can’t do this on an empty stomach, can we? I’ll go make breakfast.” Madam Jang said as she made her way back into the house.

            Junho rested his hands on his hips and he turned to Marigold. “You’re some sly. A father can be so many things, huh? Are you ever going to tell him?”

            She became bashful and smiled at him. “I’m surprised you didn’t figure it out a long time ago.” She said and followed after Madam Jang.

            Junho watched her go and then scratched the top of his head. After a while he too made his way back inside and he found Chansung and Wooyoung helping out in the kitchen. Marigold was already cooking something and the house soon began to smell wonderful. It was when they were all sitting around the table that Junho's emotions overwhelmed him the most. Everyone was here. The whole family was here. Junho was both content and restless. He looked around the table as they spoke together. For so many years both Junho and Wooyoung had tried to figure out the mystery surrounding his family lineage, and it had been staring him in the face the entire time.

            “Not hungry, Junho?” Madam Jang asked.

            Looking down at his barely touched food, he shook his head, “I’m alright. Last night was...I barely slept that’s all.”

            Wooyoung began to cough and rose up from his chair.

            Madam Jang’s brows rose but she said nothing. Marigold on the other hand was laughing behind her hand. Chansung every so often hid a smile behind his hand, Junho could tell. He could feel the rune in his skin though, it was still hot.

            When everyone had finished up and everything was clean. Everyone went their separate ways and got dressed. Junho couldn’t help himself. He had to dress Wooyoung. He just needed to be near him and to touch him. Chansung was always nearby but had a far off expression.

            "I did a clever thing..." Wooyoung said after a while.

            Junho smiled, "you always do clever things."

            Wooyoung took both of Junho's hands and pressed them to his lips. This made Junho's throat feel dry and his eyes water. "This time its special, and I hope it works.

            "It has to do with the runes, doesn't it?" Chansung asked, hand resting upon his right hip.

            "Yes," he answered and brought Junho close to him. Holding his hand out to Chansung, Wooyoung brought him into his arms as well. "Whatever happens today, I hope you both know just how much I love you."

            Junho collapsed into him and shut his eyes tight.

            "I'm going to find you both again, somehow. You'll see."

            Junho believed it, he had to.

            "I know you will." Chansung said after a while. "But don't take too long, Junho is especially impatient."

            Junho laughed and pushed Chansung.

            “Come, let’s go and change history, my loves.” Wooyoung said.

            Everyone came together at the front of the house and Madam Jang looked over the house. “Alright old girl, you’ve done us well.” She said and snapped her fingers.

            Nothing was left. It was as if nothing had ever been there.

            “You can just make the house disappear?” Wooyoung asked.

            Madam Jang chuckled and pinched his cheek, “if only I had had the time to teach you everything.”

            Wooyoung saddened at that, “well, in whatever time we end up in next, I hope you do, mom.”

            Junho smiled as Madam Jang became emotional like she did earlier that morning with him.

            They all held hands and appeared before the prison which contained Helios. The door was still damaged from the ice that came from Nichkhun. Marigold opened the doors and they made their way inside. Helios was at the center of a complicated rune circle carved into the floor.

            “Is this your handiwork, Marigold?” Chansung asked.

            She shook her head and pointed at Wooyoung and Madam Jang.

            Junho looked at Wooyoung surprised, “when did you do this?”

            Wooyoung and his mother shared a look, “the night after the incident with Nichkhun.”

            “But that was...you did this in that short amount of time?” Junho asked as he stepped down.

            “I’ve been memorising the runes and the formations since we awoke.” He admitted. “I needed mom’s help.”

            Madam Jang took Wooyoung’s hand and kept him close. “Guide us to where we need to go.”

            Wooyoung brought his mother to a circle behind Helios. He held his hand out to Chansung and he guided him to the west. Junho watched them as they hugged one another and felt his throat tighten and his eyes burn again. Chansung almost didn’t let Wooyoung go after a last desperate kiss.

            Wooyoung then came to Junho and smiled, “impressed?”

            Junho let him guide him to the circle, “if I wasn’t so sad I would be.”

            “It’ll begin with mom. This is the hand formation.” Wooyoung showed him the formations with his hands. “Once she glows gold you say tempus and it’ll start. You just hold that until...until it works.”

            Junho nodded and practiced the formation, but began to shake.

            Wooyoung brushed a hand under his chin and then kissed him deeply. “I love you.”

            Junho’s eyes bubbled with tears, “I love you, too.”

            Wooyoung rested their foreheads together and Junho held him tightly. “We’ll find one another again. I can't live without you.”

            Junho smiled, “Of course, I’ve got to take care of you and him. You’re both hopeless without me, just as much as I am without you.”

            Wooyoung grinned and he slowly stepped back. “You’re the most wonderful sage.”

            Junho began to tremble and then their hands fell apart. He watched Wooyoung make his way over to Marigold. He looked over at Chansung who smiled sadly.

            Madam Jang, Chansung and Junho were in a triangle formation. Slowly but surely magic began to flow through them. Looking to the center, Marigold and Wooyoung stood on either side of Helios. They were both chanting and golden beings arose around them. Noticing Madam Jang getting ready, Junho’s heart began to race. With all his heart he hoped, ‘let this work.’ As the golden beings arms rose into the sky Madam Jang began to glow.

            Making the hand formation, Junho swallowed hard and closed his eyes, “Tempus.”

            The amount of power that funnelled through his body almost overwhelmed him. Memories began to race through his mind, times in the dream, times before during the conflicts with Baxkos, meeting Nichkhun and Taecyeon, meeting Chansung for the first time. All of these memories began to whirl around him, passed him and through him. Then he saw the first time he met Wooyoung and tears fell from his eyes. He saw Wooyoung’s birth and then the ritual which brought him into creation. He was so in awe of everything. Slowly it began to disintegrate into nothing. Back and back it went, back to times beyond. Then, it all froze around him. He felt himself falling, but slowly. Everything began to go bright. He was surrounded by light.

 

            It is okay young one. History will be changed.

 

            Junho closed his eyes and smiled.

 

*

 

            Wooyoung felt the magic hurling around them like a violent wind. Opening his eyes, the golden beings from the deep magic froze and another walked up to Helios.

           

            The payment is fair.

 

            Wooyoung felt himself rising up and then surging forward. Feeling a hand grasp his, he turned and looked upon Marigold. “Time to change history!”

            Wooyoung grinned, “you bet!”

            They flew passed thousands of memories, places, and people. Suddenly, they came to a halt and tumbled into some bushes. Groaning, Wooyoung slowly managed to get to his feet. Marigold arose as well but looked even older than before. “Are you okay?” Wooyoung asked.

            “Yes, I’m fine.” She assured and took his hand. “This will happen very quickly.”

            “I want it over as quickly as possible.”

            Marigold knelt and drew a circle formation in the earth and dropped some of Helios’ hair into the center. “Where is he?” A light shot out and Marigold took hold of Wooyoung’s arms and then grasped the glowing line. They sped along and then came upon a fortress upon a hill. It shone brightly in the sunlight. Gold plates lined the walls and statues of beings lined the terraces.

            “This is very old.” Wooyoung said. Looking up at the walls he noticed the gold plates formed the emblem of suns along the walls.

            Soon they began to see people. They were sun-kissed and wore white clothes with gold jewellery. Wooyoung felt them watching them as they walked. The light was growing dimmer and dimmer.

            “Dark ones have come.”

            Wooyoung heard someone whisper.

            “What is this place?” Wooyoung asked. “I’ve never read about it or heard of it.”

            “There is a reason or that. You have read about this place I am sure.” Marigold said. “This is further back than I thought.” They came to the palace in the center. “We might have to fight.”

            “I just need to be able to do the ritual.”

            “Yes, but you need me to fulfill the payment.”

            Wooyoung sighed and looked up at the high walls. “This is the total opposite of Baxkos.”

            Marigold stopped them. “The reason Helios is so powerful, Wooyoung, is because he harnessed powers from the sun.”

            Stopping, Wooyoung looked upon her with disbelief. “You cannot harness the power of the sun, you can only be gifted.”

            Marigold nodded, “the reason you do not know of the city of Panoptes is because of him.”

            “Greek mythology?”

            “They all get their mythos from magicfolk.” Marigold grumbled. “You know that.”

            “Panoptes is supposed to only be that, a myth, not real.”

            Marigold pulled him close as guards bearing the same sun emblem marched on by. “Panoptes is real. We’re standing in the middle of it.”

            Wooyoung froze, “but this is said to be the birth place of the first Sage of Fire.”

            Marigold nodded, “exactly.”

            “Helios is descended from the Sage of Fire?”

            “Unfortunately.”

            Wooyoung walked back further. “No wonder he went after Baxkos. The place of the moon. Baxkos was a gift from the Sage of Water, right?”

            “Yes, and Helios sought to do there what he did here.”

            Wooyoung stared at her. “I’ve only...mom only had two accounts of Panoptes, and they both said that the city was swallowed by flames.”

            “When fire turns volatile it is very dark, Wooyoung.”

            Looking up upon the castle, Wooyoung stilled. “What will happen if Panoptes survives?”

            Marigold shrugged, “there are many different scenarios.”

            Wooyoung didn’t like her answer. “Did we come too far back, or not far enough?”

            Marigold turned to him then and grasped his shoulders. “Wooyoung, we cannot be scared of the different ways the future can change. It will change no matter what we do. We can only hope for the best. There are so many things which happen because Helios swallows Panoptes, so I am putting my bet on vanquishing him here. I have to, for you and your mother, for the futures that are far more beautiful than the one we know.”

            Confused, Wooyoung looked over her. “If you know about this city you have to be as old as Helios...or older.” Wooyoung murmured.

            Marigold nodded, “yes.”

            Wooyoung’s eyes widened, “you’re a sage!”

            Marigold shot back and was surprised, “that’s...well, yes.”

            Wooyoung felt giddy. “Amazing.”

            Marigold tilted her head and then ruffled his hair.

            “What?”

            Marigold shrugged, “nothing, I need to know if you’re with me, Wooyoung?”

            Wooyoung held her hands, “I just got surprised that’s all. It isn’t every day that a place which has only ever been said to exist in myth becomes real. If only Chansung were here, he would love to know that Panoptes is real. Besides,” he said and smiled at her, “we came back through time. We did it. Of course...I’m just - I got jitters.”

            Marigold laughed, “Yes, I suppose that’s normal.”

            They turned to the palace once more and then she was looking over him again. “You always surprise me.”           

            Wooyoung grinned.

            “You’re also dense, that’s something you and I share.”

            “You and I are a lot alike.” Wooyoung chuckled.

            “The one and only thing I want you to do is focus on the vanquishing ritual. Nothing else is your priority but that, okay?” She said and gripped his shoulders. “I will do whatever is in my power to subdue him. You might get only a small window, so I want you to only focus on this task you gave yourself.”

            Wooyoung swallowed hard but he nodded, “I will.”

            “No matter what happens to me.”

            Looking upon her slowly, Wooyoung finally gave her a nod.

            Marigold’s brow rose but then she shook her head. She grasped Wooyoung’s hand. “Ready?”

            “Ready as I’ll ever be.”

            They warped into the palace and came to the throne room.

            Helios looked much different. He sat upon a white throne lined with gold. He was adorned in gems which glistened in the light and what looked to be the softest of silks. His gaze immediately fastened upon them and immediately he erected a barrier. “Well, well...” He chuckled and slowly came to lean to one side and rest his head against a closed fist. “If it isn’t Marigold.”

            “Helios.”

            Slowly he looked them both over, assessing them. “You’re looking quite aged.”

            She shrugged, “I have been on quite the adventure.”

            “Who is your companion? He has the same magical core as you.”

            Wooyoung froze and then it all seemed to click in his mind. He looked at Marigold slowly and then she was looking at him. He made to speak but it would only come out as a rush of questions and this wasn’t the time to ask how it was possible to create someone from magic. Marigold smiled and gripped his hand tenderly before turning back.

            “I got my weird foresight from you, huh?” Wooyoung finally asked.

            Marigold sighed, “It gave you what you needed.”

            “I also run away just like you.”

            She looked a little sad about that but nodded. “A terrible habit we have.”

            “Oh, so he didn’t even know, Marigold? How could you be so terrible to your own...shall we call him, ‘son’?”

            Hearing it made Wooyoung’s stomach flutter and he turned his attention back to Helios. “I am her son.”

            Marigold turned back to him quickly and a whole slew of emotions crossed her face.

            “Touching.” Helios scoffed. “What is it that you want, Marigold?”

            “I know what you plan to do here, to the lives under your rule. I also know of your ambition. Helios, in the 8,000 years we have fought, you have never managed to get what you idealise to attain.”

            Helios shot up immediately and the temperature of the room rose. “How have you come back here, Marigold? Travelling through time is one of the deepest of magics.”

            “Aye, it is.” She said and sealed the room with immense barriers. “We have travelled back for one purpose.” She dropped quickly to one knee and slammed her hands against the floor. Cracks flew from the force of impact and a large rune circle appeared. Helios attempted to escape but a large, fiery hand snapped out of the center and closed around him. Helios shattered it and Marigold worked to try and capture him again. Wooyoung was pushed back and sealed within a barrier ball.

            As Marigold finished whatever ritual she had been working on, a being like nothing Wooyoung had ever seen began to rise up from the glyph circle. It was akin to the golden figures that surrounded him and Marigold when they performed the Time Ritual, but the power reeling off of it was significantly larger. Helios attempted to break free from Marigold’s barrier but soon he was ensnared in the grip of the fiery being. Flames burst all around and Wooyoung couldn’t help but put his arms up in defence. He felt the heat of the fire even within the barrier. When it stopped, the whole room had been scorched black. Heat waves rose from every surface. Helios was chucked to the center of the room.

            Marigold was surrounded by sparking energy.

            Turning his attention to the being, Wooyoung found a woman there. She had the most beautiful brown skin and a wealth of curls. Her eyes were vibrant and sharp orange hue.

            “Child of fire, you are.” She said with loud booming voice. “Strayed from the path.

            Wooyoung felt Marigold’s barrier release.

            “How dare you, Marigold. How dare you summon Sol herself.” Helios rasped. “When did you attain enough power to do that, huh?!” He attempted to strike her, but the magic fizzled into nothing when it came into contact with the air about her.

            Marigold breathed slowly and motioned to Wooyoung. “I don’t have a lot of time, Wooyoung. It is your turn.”

            Noticing her hand beginning to disintegrate, Wooyoung made his way over.

            “Sol will watch over you as witness.” Marigold said. “She cannot interfere with our affairs anymore than she has.”

            Wooyoung looked upon Sol in awe. Her eyes followed him as he walked and she also came to stand beside Helios.

            “What are you planning?” Helios asked venomously, forced into a kneeling position.

            “Marigold was given a task by me.” Sol said, her voice even more powerful. “You, a child loved by and of the sun, has strayed from your path. You killed your Sage of Fire, Helios.

            Wooyoung felt a deep despair. He looked upon Helios with shock.

            “It is time for repentance. For the damages you have done to the balance of the world.”

            “You speak of things I have not done!”

            “Not the you now. I was ordered to watch you through the ages, following you as you continued to ruin the balance of energies within the earth and it was determined by the deities of the deep magic that you have done irreparable harm.”

            “Marigold!”

            Feeling Marigold’s hand at his back, Wooyoung knelt down and pricked his finger. He drew the Vanquishing Runes upon Helios’ back with care and made sure everything was right. This was judgment for far more than Wooyoung had thought. Taking a deep breath, he suddenly felt the weight of responsibility of the action he was about to take, and what it would mean to do this.

            Marigold’s hand had remained as a comfort upon his shoulder. He was so grateful to have her here with him. She had always been important in his life, but even more so now. However, he also felt immense sorrow. There was so much more he wanted to know now – so much more he wanted to do. He just hoped that he would have that chance.

            “You put your faith in the hands of this boy, Marigold?” Helios asked.

            “I do.” She answered. “He is my son after all. And...” She gripped Wooyoung’s shoulder. “He is born of the deep magic.”

            Helios’ eyes widened and he looked back at Wooyoung with disbelief. “Impossible...”

            Wooyoung couldn’t help but grin. “I am also the son of the Jang family, lover of Hwang Chansung and Lee Junho. I think I’m more than worthy to end you after everything you have done.”

            ing his hands into the middle of the glyph upon Helios’ back, it began to glow silver and blue.

            Taking a deep breath, and holding the thought of his loves firmly, Wooyoung began.

            “May the eternal flame never rouse your soul again; may the you of the very distant past and the future, the you now, never rise again; and May you fall away from existence. May you never interfere with Inferna and its peoples, and...” He choked upon feeling the deep magic beginning to surge within him and flow throughout his entire body. It rolled in waves and began to take over Helios. “I call upon the Deep Magic. I give you this soul for taking. I ask of you to erase him from all time and existence, and to weave the universes back together without his presence. Repair the rifts and imbalances this soul has created. Build the world anew.” Wooyoung felt himself beginning to tremble. This was it. “Victa!

            The magic began to roll off them in heavy waves along the ground. Helios began to scream as a being erupted from his body. It swirled the same colours as the glyph and placed its hands upon Helios’ shoulders. As it peered into Helios’ eyes, Wooyoung held his ground. This was judgment. There was no faltering now. Then, it slowly rose up and asked, “What will you give me in exchange?”

            Wooyoung clenched his hands into fists as the memories of his loved ones and friends, people he cherished, those he lost through the ages, and the reality of what the world would be like without Helios gave him the strength he needed. “I give you myself. Two thousand years of history, entrenched in deep magic, two thousand years of knowledge, and...a willing sacrifice.”

            Marigold gripped Wooyoung tighter and let her magic flow into him. “I am a willing to give my life in exchange with the vanquisher to erase Helios from existence. Together we give you 10,000 years of deep magic.

            “Are you sure of this, Sage of the Void?”

            “I am.” Marigold said without hesitation.

            The being of deep magic pulled at them and orbs of varying colours flew from their bodies and of varying sizes into its body.

            “The bargain is...exceptional.”

            A pillar of light began to form around Helios and in seconds he was gone. The grip vanished from his shoulder and he turned around only to find himself in a world of nothingness. He looked upon his hands and found them slowly beginning to fade.

            “Your deepest wish has been felt, small one. Let us now change history and correct fate.”

            Wooyoung grinned and felt his body - the very essence of his person - beginning to fade into nothing. But he wasn't scared. He knew he would be born anew, somehow. He would be a different Wooyoung. He would have a different story. He was very excited for the possibilities. "Yes, let us make a new future."

*

Author's Note: One more chapter after this, the Final Epilogue.