008

Double Heartbreak

"Ready?"

 

Taeyeon gave her a pointed look as she finished applying her makeup. "What do you think?"

 

"Hmm...well since you're asking for my opinion, I'm going to say you're absolutely fine."

 

"..."

 

Sunny looked at Taeyeon and then giggled for the nth time. After all, it was her first time seeing Taeyeon in disguise. Since Taeyeon wouldn't be able to wear the clothes she wore to Sunny's house, Taeyeon borrowed a hoodie and jeans from Sunny."You look like this dangerous gang member but then I see your height, so-"

 

Taeyeon put her hand over Sunny's mouth to shut her up. Which made Sunny laugh even more.

 

Hurridely changing the topic, Taeyeon asked "Shouldn't we get ready to go now?"

 

"Hmm..maybe?"

 

"Do you not know when practice starts?' Taeyeon asked incredulously.

 

"No. I need to make sure I won't start laughing whenever I look at you."

 

"It's not funny though." Taeyeon said shaking her head. "What if you're late?"

 

"Jessica will probably be even later."

 

Taeyeon snorted. "That's such a great first impression."

 

Before Sunny could make a comeback, Taeyeon's phone started ringing. Taeyeon toook a look to see who it was. The screen showed that it was the CEO of SM Entertainmnet, Lee Sooman. Taeyeon hesitantly picked up and put it on speaker.

 

"Hello sir!"

 

"Yes, hello Taeyeon. I have to tell you something."

 

"What is it sir?"

 

"There's a training session in a few minutes, and I'm going to make an important announcement today to the trainees. Since you're also a trainee, can you also show up?"

 

"Oh, of course! I was planning on going with Sunny anyways."

 

"Great. See you there Taeyeon."

 

"Ne, bye sajangnim." Taeyeon replied.

 

After she hung up, Taeyeon turned towards Sunny and asked "Do you know what this is all about?"

 

"Nope" Sunny said, popping the p.

 

"You're mighty useful considering you're his niece." Taeyeon mumbled sarcastically. 

 

Sunny ignored Taeyeon's remark and pulled her towards the door. "Who cares. We're going to be late."

 

"Wait wait wait!" Taeyeon shouted as she planted her feet on the ground. She checkd her makeup and hair, secured her mask, put on sunglasses and a baseball cap, and then let Sunny drag her out of the apartment.

 

"." Sunny cursed as she glanced at her watch. "We need to run or else we're going to be late!"

 

"Wha-" Taeyeon couldn't finish before Sunny took off, speeding through the streets of Seoul. Taeyeon could only sigh as she took off after Sunny. She hated running, and all other physical exercise besides dancing. 

 

After five minutes of running, Taeyeon and Sunny stopped at the door of the building, panting hard. Just as Sunny was about to punch in the passcode, Taeyeon stopped her. "We need to catch our breath first.."

 

"Fine. But don't blame me when we're late."

 

"Well then again, there's going to be a person even later than us, so you'll be just fine, right?"

 

"Oh shut up."

 

The duo entered the building a minute later, taking the elevator up to the practice rooms. 

 

"We're here." Sunny whispered as Taeyeon tried to take in the unfamiliar surroundings.

 

"Okay. Let's go." Taeyeon replied, following Sunny. "If I get in trouble, you're buying me all the coffee I want for a month." Sunny hissed as she pushed the door open. 

 

Taeyeon scanned the room. All the trainees, including Jessica, were sitting on the floor, facing someone sitting on a chair. The persons back was facing her, so Taeyeon didn't know who it was. Suddenly the person turned around and faced Sunny and Taeyeon.

 

"You're late. This is an important meeting." 

 

Said Lee Sooman. What was he doing here? 

 

Taeyeon quickly spoke up, defending her friend. She didn't want to buy expensive coffee for Sunny multiple times a day. "Sorry sir, I was late getting to Sunny's apartment, so both of us are late now."

 

Everyone in the room held their breath.

 

"Hmm. Fine, I understand, but Tae- I mean, trainee T and Sunny, make sure to not be late anymore, okay?"

 

"Yes sir."

 

Sunny quickly went to sit with the other trainees, leaving Taeyeon standing there awkwardly. The other trainees were whispering to one another. They weren't doing a great job of keeping quiet.

 

"Who is she?"

 

"Why is she covered?"

 

"Is she an idol?"

 

"Is she supposed to be here?"

 

"What if she's her?"

 

"Everyeone! Be quiet!" Lee Sooman yelled. "I understand you're all curious about her, but it'll be explained later. You can just sit there." He said, pointing to some chairs set up at the back of the room. "I will be monitering your practice today, and I have an important announcement to make after prcatice."

 

After he said that, a trainer walked into the room, and started to direct the trainees on what to do. Pretty soon, Taeyeon was watching a dance routine the trainees had been practicing. She kept her eye on Jessica and was suprised to find she was a pretty decent dancer, but once the number ended, Jessica quickly ran over to the AC. Strange.

 

Taeyeon continued to analyze each trainee, and before she knew it, practice was over.

 

"OK! Now that practice is over, I have made my decision. You are all very capable, so all of you trainees here will be participating in a survial reality show." Lee Sooman announced.

 

Everybody, including Taeyeon, gaped in shock. What?

 

Before the trainees could process this information, he barged on "We will have 12 episodes, lasting around three months, and in the end, we will debut a three member group. The trainees that are not picked will be set to debut around three to four years later since all of you guys are very young. We will start filming next week. Practice as much as you can and show your talents to the world..good luck!"

 

He stopped, thinking of any other information that might be important. "Oh, I almost forgot!" He turned toward Taeyeon. "Come over here" he said, pointing to the space right next to where he was standing. Taeyeon moved there nervously.

 

"Everyone, this is...Kim Taeyeon." He stopped, allowing the trainees to talk amongst themselves. Taeyeon could see them studying her, but paid no attention to them. Instead, she looked at Jessica, who was busy looking at her too. Jessica had a look in her eyes that said she didn't like her. Taeyeon could understand why though. She took a look at the other trainees and saw the same amount of hostility in their eyes.

 

Taeyeon snapped out of her thoughts when Lee Sooman said, "Taeyeon, you will also be participating in this show, but I'll have you appear in the third episode, which means you will actually be revealed about a month from now."

 

"What?" Taeyeon asked.

 

"I know it's much earlier than projected, but to be honest it doesn't really make a difference."

 

Still wrapping her head around the sudden new information, Taeyeon just muttered a small "Okay.."

 

Lee Sooman continued talking. "Since all the other trainees know each other quite well, and as far as I'm aware, you're only close to Sunny, you should take this time to get to know everyone."

 

"So..I take off my mask and everything?"

 

"Yes."

 

"O..k.." Taeyeon was relieved she had applied on makeup back at Sunny's place, or else Jessica might have recognized her. Once her face was free from her disguise, she heard the trainees start talking about her in hushed voices. Once again, they didn't do a good job  of making sure Taeyeon couldn't hear.

 

"She's really pretty!"

 

"But we don't know how talented she is.."

 

"She can probably be the most untalented person in this room and still debut."

 

"Riding off of her siblings fame...she'll see how untalented she is once the show begins."

 

"Yeah.."

 

Although Taeyeon expected this type of reaction, hearing it in person was like a stab to her heart. She felt the urge to start singing something and shut everyone up, but that would be too risky. She was already used to hateful commemts anyway.

 

Taeyeon cleared . "Hello. I'm Kim Taeyeon as many of you know already. I'm 15 years old and specialize in vocals. Thank you." 

 

She was about to go back to her chair when Lee Sooman gestured for her to talk to the trainees. So she had no choice but to approach them.

 

She was spared from having to initiate a conversation when a random girl introduced herself "Hey! So I'm Krystal, the girl that's weraing basketball shorts is Amber, she's Sulli, the one in the orange shirt is Luna, and the person talking to her is Victoria. The one with your friend Sunny is my sister Jessica."

 

"You're sister?" Taeyeon asked.

 

Krystal laughed. "Yeah...it's quite unfortunate."

 

"Haha! What's she like?" Taeyeon asked curiously.

 

"Hmm..well the best way to describe her is that she loves to sleep. Her life revolves around sleep."

 

"Yah! Soojung! Don;t go giving the wrong impression to strangers!" Jessica said, suddenly standing next to her sister.

 

"Fine. I'm going to go talk to my friends while you give the right impression on her." Krystal said as she stalked off, leaving Jessica and Taeyeon alone.

 

"Err..hi?" Taeyeon started.

 

"Hey. Aren't you that girl from the mall like two days ago? With Yoona?" Jessica asked.

 

Taeyeons eyes widened. "Y-yeah..how did you remember?"

 

"You're not very hard to forget." Jessica said, and immeadiatly regreted what she said. Way to sound flirty Jessica.

 

"Oh...thanks?"

 

Jessica suddenly took a step closer to Taeyeon. "I hope you know you won't be weclomed here. Just because you're the oh so great Kim that the whole world is anticipating doesn't mean we, who've shed blood and tears to be here, will also like you. And before you ask, no, I am not bipolar."

 

Taeyeon gulped. Here it was, her hardwork being undermined, clueless people who just assume her life's been a free ride when it wasn't. Oh no, it was never like that.

 

"Oh yeah?" Taeyeon whispered. "You think it's been easy on me? You know nothing." She hissed.

 

Awkwardly laughing, Jessica changed the subject. "I actually know a person at my school that has the same name as you. Her voice is really good too."

 

Confused, Taeyeon took a step back. She saw Sunny looking at them. Ah. That's why. Is she two faced or something? Acting all threatening at one moment, and then seeing someone she has to be sweet to, suddenly pretend like nothing happened? Taeyeon needed to think about this. But she knew that Jessica probably wasn't like this. Maybe it was just that she hated Taeyeon for 'riding' on her siblings fame. Yes, that was it, Taeyeon realized with a jolt.

 

"Wow...that's..cool. What's she like? Not cooler than me, right?" Taeyeon asked, shocked at how normal they were acting. She made a mental note to not sing to her full potential at school.

 

"As much as it sounds bad, she's pretty much a loser and outcast. Definently not as cool as you." She added with a laugh.

 

"Do you know her?" Taeyeon asked, eager to see how Jessica would answer.

 

"Yeah, I was pretty much forced to get to know her. It's a long story, I'll tell you later."

 

"Ok. How long-"

 

"Taeyeonie!!" A voice screamed, and just a second later, someone was squeezing the breath out of her.

 

"Hayeon...you're choking..me." Taeyeon grunted.

 

"Whoops!" She said cheerfully, cleary not sorry at all.

 

"I haven't seen you in ages! How's life?"

 

Taeyeon smiled widely. "Good, same as usual. Have you heard of the reality show thing yet?"

 

"Of course! You're gonna kill it!"

 

"Ha..don't be so sure right now, unnie."

 

"I've seen you pabo. You're better than everyone in this room."

 

"Wow...thanks?"

 

"Your welcome!" Hayeon beamed. "Now, let's go meet my members! They've been dying to meet you." She said as she dragged Taeyeon to the door where the rest of the Pink Girls were standing.

 

"Hello." Taeyeon greeted while bowing.

 

"She's pretty..she looks like a mix between you and Ji." One of them said.

 

"Yeah, and she's talented to boot." Hayeon bragged proudly. Taeyeon just awkwardly stood there, fidling with her fingers as the Pink Girls continued to talk about her. After 10 minutes, her saviour Sunny came and led her away from the senior group, offering an apologetic smile to Hayeon.

 

"Talk to the other trainees now. Especially Jessica." she said, and then left to go chat with the girl named Victoria.

 

Taeyeon, again left with no choice, went to Jessica who was slumped against a wall.

 

"Hey. Again." Jessica said.

 

"Yeah..wanna start over?"

 

"What do you mean?" Jessica asked, confusion etched on her face.

 

"Well...what happened earlier wasn't the best introduction, right?" Taeyeon asked. "So how about we start over? I'm Kim Taeyeon. Nice to meet you." 

 

"Jung Jessica. Nice to meet you too." She said with a small smile.

 

Taeyeon was relieved. She wanted to get to know Jessica better, she seemed like a cool person. Plus, Jessica wasn't the person directly involved with the bet, so Taeyeon had no reason to avoid her. Now that Taeyeon wasn't trying to look at the floor all the time, she managed to get a closer look at Jessica's face. The girl was gorgeous.

 

Jessica, getting uncomfortable under Taeyeon's stare tried to walk away after introducing herself, only to be stopped by something. To be specific, Taeyeon's hand. 

 

"Err..can you let me go?"

 

"I thought we were going to talk."

 

"If you really want to.."

 

Taeyeon flashed her a milllion dollar smile that made her insides churn a bit. "Well I really want to."

 

"Ok then..." They lasped into an uncomfortable silence.

 

"By the way, how do you know Yoona?" Taeyeon asked curiously.

 

"She's your girlfriend, right?" Was Taeyeon imagining things, or did Jessica's voice sound slightly bitter? 

 

"Y-yeah..you could say that.." Taeyeon said slowly.

 

"Oh. You two make a cute couple." Jessica said with a forced smile.

 

"Aw, thanks. But how do you know her again?"

 

"School. Your other friends and I attend Soshi High."

 

"That's cool. Are you guys friends?"

 

"I wouldn't say so.." Jessica drawled.

 

"You won't offend me." Taeyeon quickly said.

 

"Ok then. Well, you probably know this already, but they're like the queens of Soshi High. My group of friends don't really like them because of that."

 

"...you don't like them because they're popular.."

 

Jessica chuckled. "I know it sounds stupid, but that's really the reason. I guess that loser also has something to do with it."

 

"Loser?" Taeyeon pretended to be confused.

 

"That girl I said that has the same name as you."

 

"Right. You also mentioned something about being forced to get to know her?"

 

"Oh that. We have this bet going on, and it involves hanging around with her."

 

"I see...but what does she have to do with my friends?"

 

Jessica frowned at that. "They're always around her when we try to talk to her. It's weird, really."

 

Taeyeon could only awkwardly say something stupid in return. The rest of their conversation was about random things. Taeyeon learned a lot about the other girl. She absolutely hated cucumbers, loves to sleep, can't cook, has only one sibling, Krystal, and a lot of other random information. Before they knew it, Krystal had called Jessica, telling her their driver had arrived. 

 

"Bye! See you in a few weeks!" Jessica waved.

 

"Ok! See you." Taeyeon returned.

 


The next day, Taeyeon walked into school and immeadiatly tripped over a person's leg.

 

"Oh, I'm so sorry." He sneered.

 

Taeyeon ignored him and continued to her locker. She had no problem getting there because the crowd parted into two when she walked near it.

 

"Oh it's her again."

 

"Who does she think she is, working with the queens of Soshi High?"

 

Taeyeon was used to all these comments. She recieved them everyday. Quickly opening her vandalized locker, Taeyeon grabbed her binders and textbooks, and went to her next class, trying to avoid the glares and hateful comments.

 

Taeyeon managed to get through her first period class pretending she didn't know Jessica and Tiffany, but she had something important to tell them during lunch.

 

"Ooh...look who's here?" A voice taunted. Taeyeon looked up. It was a member a Kara.

 

"The little poor scholarship student is here, isn't she?"

 

Taeyeon gritted her teeth and quickly strode to her desk without looking at anyone. Since Soshi High was a prestigious high school, the students were all rich, save the rare scholorship student. Since she wore such poor clothes compared to the high end brands of every other student, Taeyeon was mocked for being poor and ugly with no friends. 

 

"Today we'll just meet in our groups and brainstorm about the project. But don't think that this is just going to be an in class project. The science department has decided to be nice and give you today to work on it. The rest will be solely done at home, and we'll be learning. Is that clear?"

 

"Yes sir." The class replied.as they started moving their desks.

 

Taeyeon started moving to her friends. She really shouldn't or else she would be bashed even more, but Taeyeon couldn't care any less.

 

"Hey guys." She whispered.

 

They flashed smiles at her, making sure to not get notcied by their classmates. 

 

"You should actually talk out loud." Seohyun stated.

 

Taeyeon shook her head. It would be too dangerous. She noticed the dissaproving looks from the rest of GG, but this was all necessary.

 

"Sir? Can my group work in the media center? It's too loud here." Yoona suddenly asked.

 

"Of course! Bring your bags too." 

 

"You didn't have to do that.." Taeyeon hissed into Yoona's ear.

 

"We can't exactly work if we don't talk genius."

 

"Fine" Taeyeon grumbled as she hoisted her backpack onto her shoulders and left the room."But we can't be too loud in the media center. There might be other people there."

 

"Blah blah blah" Yuri said covering her ears. "Stop being such so worried."

 

"I can't help it.." Taeyeon complained.

 

"Then when's the episode you're going to be revealed in airing?"

 

"In abo a month. I need to get the bet out of the first too so I'm going to ask Tiffany out today."

 

Yuri stopped. "Wait, really?"

 

"Yeah. I don't want her to carry the burden of knowing I'm famous." Taeyeon joked.

 

"What about Jessica?"

 

"What about her?"

 

"Well won't you be awkward with her on broadcast?"

 

". I didn't think about that."

 

"As long as she doesn't feel too guilty or something you'll be okay."

 

"But it would be too awkward..."

 

"No , Sherlock. I just said that."

 

Taeyeon smiled sheepishly. "Sorry. Just have a lot of thoughts today."

 

"Like what? Are you worried about asking the red head out?"

 

"Not really. It's more...like...Jessica thoughts."

 

"..and what about her?"

 

Taeyeon shrugged. "I just have this feeling that I really want to get to know her. I can't really explain it."

 


"Tiffany...shouldn't we be looking for that loser?" Jessica whined. Tiffany and Jessica were sitting in a secluded area of the media center eating lunch.

 

Tiffany dismissed her words "We still have the whole school year left to do this. No need to hurry."

 

"Fine." Jessica said. "Did I tell you about the famous Kim Taeyeon yet? She's that girl from the mall that's dating Yoona!"

 

Tiffany groaned. "Jessie...you've been talking about her since last night."

 

"Sorry..but just let me tell you more, alright?"

 

Tiffany groaned again. "Fine. But you know you're totally lovesick, right?"

 

"What?! I'm not! I'm...I'm supposed to hate her...and in a way I still do, you know?"

 

"I do not know, but continue your rambling." Tiffany said. She knew Jessica wouldn't stop talking about the famous Kim anytime soon, so she just went along with it.

 

"She's seriously perfect, like her face is pretty yet cute and y at the same time...like when she's angry she's so gorgeous and cute! And when she leaned close to my ear, she smelled like vanilla. God, I think vanilla is my new favorite scent now. And she's a great person to talk to, and oh, did I mention how pretty she is?"

 

"..."

 

"Yah! Are you listening or not?"

 

Tiffany waved her hand. "I already know everything Jessie. Now stop talking for a second. Taeyeon just texted me."

 

"TAEYEON?!"

 

Tiffany rolled her eyes. "Calm down. It's just the Taeyeon that we're doing the bet on."

 

Jessica blushed, a bit ashamed. "So why's she texting you now?"

 

"She wants to meet me right now. Should I go?"

 

"Of course! We need to get in her good books."

 

"Ok, fine. I'll just tell her to meet us in front of the media center."

 

"Sure."

 

Taeyeon: I'm here.

Tiffany: k, J and I will be there in a minute

Taeyeon: Ok!

 

"She's already there." Tiffany informed Jessica "Let's go."

 

They walked out of the media center and saw Taeyeon there fidgeting nervously. When she saw the duo her face broke into a large grin.

 

"Hi!"

 

"Hey Taeyeon!" Tiffany responded with an equally big smile. "So why did you want to meet us?"

 

"I...I..."

 

"You what?"

 

Taeyeon took a deep breath.

 

"..Tiffany, I know we haven't known each other for that long, but I feel like I have feelings toward you already. Will -will you be my girlfriend?"

 

 


A/N:

To make up for the lack of updates, this chapters around twice as long as usual.

Thanks for reading!

 

ALSO PLEASE READ:
I'M GOING TO GO TO THIS BOARDING SCHOOL THING IN A FEW DAYS, AND I HAVE NO ACCESS TO THE INTERNET THERE...WHICH MEANS THIS FIC WILL GO ON A HAITUS UNTILL I GET BACK FOR SUMMER BREAK.


So before I go on a haitus for like 5-6 months, I'll cram in as much updates as I can.

 

SORRYYYYYYY!!!