004

Double Heartbreak

 

"Good afternoon! How has your first day of school been so far?" The vocal teacher asked brightly.

 

The class grumbled in response.

 

Taeyeon's day had been a mess. On her first day of high school, some popular person was already picking on her when she was supposed to be no one. How was she supposed to survive the next few years? But she knew complaining wouldn't help. She had to create a new plan.

 

"There are 18 people in this class. All of you are here because you have above average voices. So now, you'll go up one by one and sing an excerpt of a song that demonstrates your vocal capabilities. Everyone will sing for around 30 seconds. Do your best, I'll be 'grading' your performance, but not for a grade. If you haven't heard yet, there is a ranking in this class, updated every week. I'll post the first list by the end of the period."

 

The teacher paused for a second to let the information sink in.

 

"I'll give you five minutes to prepare your song. I'll pick the order randomly. Good luck!"

 

Taeyeon's mind was scrambling. She knew she could do it, but she didn't want to be in the spotlight. She looked around. Her classmates seemed to be frantic. After all, they had little time to prepare.

 

"Alright! Time's up!" The teacher called. She pulled a piece of paper out of her jar. 

 

"Seo Juhyun! You're up first!"

 

Taeyeon watched as Seohyun shakily rose from her seat. She seemed nervous, but Taeyeon knew Seohyun would be fine.

 

Once she finished, the class clapped and the teacher already picked the next name.

 

"Hwang Tiffany" She went up and sang

 

"Not bad" The teacher noted. She proceeded to pick more names out.

 

After 30 minutes, there was only two people who hadn't performed yet. Taeyeon and Jessica. 

 

"Second to last is....Jung Jessica!"

 

Taeyeon gulped. It looked like she was going to go last. Then, Jessica started to sing. Taeyeon was impressed. It sounded like Jessica usaually practiced a lot. After she finished, the class clapped louder than usual.

 

"Well done! And it looks like Kim Taeyeon is last! It's going to be hard to go after Jessica." The teacher joked.

 

Taeyeon smiled and made her way to the front of the room. She took a breath, and started singing.

 

Manyage naega kandamyeon naega dagakandamyeon
Neoneotteokhe saenggakhalkka yonggil nael so eobgo

Manyage niga kandamyeon niga tteonakandamyeon
Neol eotteokhe bonaeyahalji jakkoogeobi naneun geol

Naega babogattaseo

Barabol su bakkeman eobneun geon ahmado
Wimyeonhaljido moreul ni maeumgwa
Tto keuraeseo deo meoreojil saiga dwilkkabwa

Chungmal babogattaseo

Saranghanda haji mothaneun geon ahmado
Mannamdwi e kidarineun apeume
Seulpeum nanaldeuri doryeoweoseo inkabwa

 

The class was silent. Then, claps starting erupting. The teacher looked extremely impressed.

 

"Wow! That...was unexpected." The teacher continued. "Iby Hayeon is a pretty challenging song to sing."

 

Taeyeon bowed in graditude and went back to her seat. She saw Tiffany and Jessica looking at her with admiration, and felt strangley happy.

 

"OK! There are five minutes until the bell rings, I'm pulling the results up on the projector. This is your rank as of now."

 

Taeyeon looked at the board.

 

1. Kim Taeyeon

 

Her eyes widened in shock and she smiled happily and then proceeded to look down the list.

 

2. Hyorin

3. Jessica

 

Taeyeon nodded to herself. Hyorin had a powerful voice, and Taeyeon expected her to have placed first, but suprise, Taeyeon beat her. Next was Jessica, whose voice was unique, but pleasant to listen to. 

 

Before Taeyeon could continue to read the list, her phone vibrated.

 

Group Chat:

Hyo: Whooo! Our Taengoo is first

Yoonggie: As expected!!

Me: Ehh..I thought that Hyorin would win

Hyo: She prob didnt hav enough emotion

Me: I guess...

Yul: Jeti were pretty good

Soo: Jeti?

Yul: Jessica + Tiffany = Jeti

Yul: It's called math guys

 

Before Taeyeon could type anymore, the bell rang. She glanced at her schedule. She had literature next, another class with her friends and Jessica and Tifffany in it. Taeyeon quickly made her way to the room, noticing the looks everyone was throwing at her. It seemed like the news that she was in the same science group as the most popular girls in school had traveled wide and far.

 

Taeyeon managed to make it to her class without being hurt, and sat down at the very back again. Her classmates trickled in through the door, and they all tried to sit as far away from Taeyeon as possible, until they read the board. It said:

 

You will have asigned seats in this class. Be ready to move.

 

Her classmates all looked at her nervously, and Taeyeon knew they were hoping to be seated as far from her as possible. The bell rang, signaling the start of class, and the professor entered.

 

"Good afternoon class. As you might have read, we will have asigned seats. You might have also noticed that your groups from science are also in this class. That doesn't mean this class and your science class have the same exact students, it just means the 5-6 people in your group are in this class together. Everybody here should have already had science, correct?"

 

The class nodded.

 

"Great. Now, will everybody move together with your groups."

 

The class got up, and followed the teachers instructions.

 

"While you are getting settled, I'll explain everything to you. As you may or may not know, this class, along with science has a good amount of group work. You are placed into groups, and you will work with those groups on numerous projects. Sometimes I might combine groups to make bigger groups for competitions or projects. Your groups in science are the same as your groups in literature. Like in science, you will have a project that is your final grade, and it will count for 20% of your grade. Scince you have two semesters of school, there will be two big final projects due, but there will also be numerous small projects inbetween to assist you with the final project. Got it?

 

The class took a minute to process the information, and then nodded back.

 

"I'll post the groups and the members of each group on the whiteboard. For the rest of the class, get to know your group better, as you will meet up after school often and spend a lot of time together."

 

The teacher wrote:

 

Group 1: 

Girls' Generation

Members:

Hyoyeon, Taeyeon, Seohyun, Sooyoung, Yuri, Yoona

 

Group 2:

B.A.P.

Members:

Daehyun, Himchan, Jongup, Youngjae, Yongguk, Zelo

 

Group 3:

Sistar:

Members:

Hyorin, Tiffany, Jessica, Bora, Dasom, Soyou

 

Group 4:

EXO-K

Members:

Kai, DO, Baekhyun, Chanyeol, Sehun, Suho

 

Taeyeon looked at the board, but was distracted by Jessica and Tiffany trying to get her attention. She ingored them and proceeded to examine the board until she heard a loud "Ahem"

 

She turned around, and Hyoyeon was standing there.

 

"So we're supposed to know each other better. Just write your number and address here, we'll add you to a group chat. We couldn't really make out what your contact information in science said, so write it again" Hyoyeon said, and passed Taeyeon a sheet of paper.

 

Sooyoung added, "And just so you know, we're good friends already, so be prepared to...hang out...more with us." she said, sounding a bit reluctent. Taeyeon scoffed at the duo when Yuri cut her off.

 

"Hey. You can't scoff at us, OK? We're above you."

 

Taeyeon, wanting to burst, decided to take it to her phone.

 

Group Chat:

Me: YAHH...just cuz you're pretending dont mean u have to take it that far...

Yoonggie: Fine...it's just fun tho...

 

Taeyeon gave her a glare and turned around, ignoring her friends. She stayed that way for the rest of the period.

 

---------

 

It was finally the end of the day. English was her last period, and it had passed too slowly for Taeyeon's liking. Taeyeon and her friends were pretty good at it since they had learned it since they were young. The teacher had droned on and on about the course, and Taeyeon was sure most people had fallen asleep. She had thought the class would never end, but fortunatly it did.

 

She was now making her way home, where she knew her friends would be waiting. Sooyoung had mentioned that she wanted to talk about something, and Taeyeon was conteplating what she meant when a car pulled up in front of her.

 

"Hey!" A person called. Taeyeon squinted, and saw it was the red head, Tiffany. She looked at the rest of the people in the car and recognized them them to be Sistar.

 

"We're going out to get to know each other better, and saw you walking. Do want a ride?" 

 

Taeyeon immediatley answered with a firm  "No." She couldn't let them see how big her house was.

 

Tiffany's face fell. "Are you sure?" Taeyeon nodded. "Alright then...I guess we'll see you tommorrow?"

 

Taeyeon almost nodded, but managed to stop herself, and briskly walked away to her house. 

 

She arrived after 10 minutes, and once she opened the door, she was greeted by her friends.

 

"Finally!" Sooyoung said. "You should drive, it'd be much faster."

 

"I can't. It'd be destroyed by bullies the first time I use it." Taeyeon said with a little laugh.

 

"That's true..."

 

"By the way Soo, what was the thing you were talking about?"

 

"Oh yeah! Operation help Taeyeon!"

 

"..."

"..."

"..."

"..."

"..."

 

Taeyeon, Yuri, Seohyun, Yoona, and Hyoyeon gave her a blank stare.

 

Seeing that, Sooyoung explained, "Taeyeon doesn't need to look that ugly, you know? So we can just dress her in plain clothes. With all that ugly clothing you're drawing more attention to yourself anyway, so why not dress you in simple, plain, okay looking clothes?"

 

Taeyeon thought about it.

 

Sooyoung continued. "PLus you've made a bad first impression anyways, so they have you down as the ugly smelly kid already."

 

"Then what should I wear?" Taeyeon asked

 

"Umm...boot cut jeans, sweatpants, plain t-shirts or long shirts, and plain hoodies or jackets? Oh, you should also change your hair...it looks like a birds nest."

 

"I guess I agree with the clothes thing, but that's sort of the whole point of my hair." Taeyeon answered.

 

At that point, Seohyub said, "I agree with Sooyoung, change the hair. We can search online plain or unflattering hairstyles that slightly cover face."

 

"Everyone that agrees say Aye!" Sooyoung said.

 

Five Ayes were heard.

 

"Tae...come on...it's better this way." Yoona coaxed.

 

"F-finee..." Taeyeon answered.

 

"Great!" Sooyoung smiled "We can go to the mall right now and buy clothes!"

 

"What if someone see's us?"

 

"Science and Lit bonding time!"

 

"But.."

 

"Ayy...stop worrying so much! We'll be fine!"

 

"Fine..." Taeyeon consented

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

--------

Well so much for every two weeks lol.

Sorry guys, I guess I really don't have any excuses, I'm just not a really consistent author, but I'm working on it...

Sorry again, and enjoy!