001

Double Heartbreak

Taeyeon grimaced as she scanned herself in the mirror. She was sporting huge glasses and horrendous clothes that someone's grandma might wear. Her usually neat and blonde hair had been dyed back to black and now resembled somebody that hasn't showered for weeks and just just woke up.

 

She carefully made her way down the stairs and attempted to sneak out of her house without her friend noticing, but to no avail.

 

"TAEYEON!" Yuri screeched "What in the world are you wearing? Where do you even buy those clothes?" 

 

Yuri was one of Taeyeon's best friends who frequently stayed over at Taeyeon's house. Yuri and the rest of Taeyeon's friends were in their second year of high school, whereas Taeyeon was a freshman. Today was the first day back at high school for students at Soshi High, and most people were trying to wear their best clothes to make a good first impression, but Taeyeon seemed to be thinking the exact opposite.

 

Shocked, she responded "Uh....these are clothes? And I didn't buy them. They're custom made...I don't think any store would sell these..."

 

Still flabbergasted, Yuri rubbed her eyes several times to make sure this wasn't some sort of dream. She knew she would wake up to a weirdly dressed Taeyeon, but she never imagined it would be this...horrid.

 

"Please let this be a horrible nightmare...." Yuri pleaded to nobody

 

"I wish" Taeyeon said "But I don't exactly have a choice."

 

The two girls then made their way down the stairs to the kitchen to prepare breakfast. Taeyeon's parents wern't home, as usual so they settled for a bowl of cereal with milk.

 

"Oh yeah, just reminding you again Yul...you HAVE to act like you don't know me, alright? And remind the others too, please. I'm pretty sure they all frogot already, well except for Seohyun, even though they were told like two days ago."

 

"Sure. It'll be weird without you there though. We won't have a midget to tease anymore..." Yuri said, pretending to pout sadly.

 

"YAH! I'm not that short...it's just that...my growth spurt hasn't started yet!"

 

"Mhmm...right. I'll be waiting for that day to come."

 

Quickly changing the topic, Taeyeon asked

 

"Shouldn't you get going now, Miss oh so popular?"

 

Now it was Yuri's turn to be embarrassed

 

"Hey! It's not my fault your best friends, including me, are so hot and attractive."

 

"Yeah, to the point you all each get countless cards, flowers and chocolates on Valentine's Day."

 

Taeyeon was referring to the time when Yuri came to her house with a mounain of chocolate for Taeyeon, saying she and the rest had to much, so they very generously donated some to their friend Kim Taeyeon. The next day however, Taeyeon woke up sick because she had eaten too much of the sweet treats. But who could blame a kid for wanting to eat candy?

 

"Well...you enjoyed the candy, so don't complain."

 

"But it got me sick! Do you know how hard it was? I couldn't even finish the rest of the delicious chocolate until I got better!"

 

"You still should be thanking us. You wouldn't even have chocolate if we wern't so popular, so don't tease me because of that..."

 

"I know you don't like the attention...so why not tease you about it?"

 

"Well I know you hate being called short, so why not tease you about it?" Yuri mimicked "And yes, I have to go now so see you after school!"

 

Taeyeon simply huffed in response as Yuri drove away in her luxury car. 

 

She went back to the mirror to make sure she looked unpresentable enough before heading out the door. The school wasn't far from home, so she would be walking everyday.

 

When Taeyeon arrived at school, she could feel all the stares directed at her. But she couldn't blame them. After all, Soshi High was a prestigious school that only the wealthy attended, and Taeyeon currently looked like a homeless person. She wondered how long it would take for people to start bullying her.

 

----------

 

"Jessie! JUNG JESSICA!" Tiffany yelled "If you don't wake up right now, I'm going to school without you."

 

"Ughh...I'm up, okay?"

 

Satisfied, Tiffany went back to preparing for school. She wanted to look her best and make an awesome first impression on her classmates.

 

Jessica finally got out of her precious bed and also started getting ready.

 

"Oh yeah, Tiff...you remember that bet we lost?"

 

"Mhm..yeah. Why?"

 

"Hara just texted me saying they'll tell us what we have to do today, but we can start it two weeks later."

 

"She makes it sound like it's a long term thing..."

 

"Knowing them, it probably is. Anyways, get up, I boiled some eggs for breakfast today"

 

"Is there nothing else you know how to cook?" Jessica complained

 

"Well, it's better than what you would've made."

 

Jessica grumbled in response and quickly started to get ready.

 

After waiting for a few minutes, they both headed down and started to eat the prepared breakfast on the table in silence.

 

Jessica broke the silence and said,

 

"You know the popular group at Soshi High? I think they're sophmores right now, and they have five people in their group."

 

Jessica and Tiffany, along with their friends, were the most popular group in middle school and they wanted to continue that into high school. But to do that, they had to surpass the people who were currently "it." The former group would still be popular, just not throughout the whole school. The same thing happens every year, where groups try to become the most popular. It was like an unspoken tradition in the high school. 

 

"Really? Then we might have a few classes with them. We can observe and see what they're like."

 

"Sure. I bet it won't be that hard to take over."

 

"Yup."

 

After finishing breakfast and retouching their makeup, they had Tiffany's driver bring them to school in a limo because they were still too young to drive.

 

When they arrived, they both bowed and said

 

"Thank you Mr. Ok!"

 

He merely nodded  

 

"I'll be waiting here after school."

 

The girls nodded back and proceeded to enter the campus of the school. They saw many people looking at them an slightly cheered in their heads. It seemed like winning the heart of the school wouldn't be so hard after all.

 

"Tiffany! Jessica! Over here!"

 

They looked around and saw Hara and the others waving at them. Smiling, they walked over.

 

After greeting and catching up with each other, Jessica asked

 

"So...what's the bet you mentioned this morning?"

 

Hara clapped her hands once in rememberance and said

 

"Ah THAT. Since it involves both of you, we're going to have Tiffany get close to someone and pretend to like that person. Then she gets them to date, but after lets say a month of dating, break it off and crush the person. Then Jessica will go and pretend to help the person, get the person to fall for her and after a month, crush the person once again."

 

"That sounds harsh." Tiffany said frowning

 

"Not to mention, how do we know that person will fall for us?" Jessica added

 

Hara slightly scoffed, "Oh please, anybody would do anything to date you two."

 

JeTi nodded in agknowledgement 

 

"But who's the unfortanate person to be caught up in this?" Jessica asked

 

Hara started to reply, but was interupted with a sudden commotion in the crowd of students. They pushed their way through the crowd to see what the commotion was about.

 

"Oh. My. Gosh." Gyuri exlaimed

 

The other girls looked similarily shocked and repulsed.

 

Because standing at the gate of the school, was some short girl who was wearing the most horrendous clothes on the planet. And they wern't exaggerating.

 

"Do you think...she's at the right place?" Nicole asked

 

"Yeah, she is. Look at the badge on her shirt." Jessica answered

 

All of them were thinking on the inside, "How in the world did someone like that enter this high school??!"

 

"Aha!" Hara exlaimed

 

All of them tore their gazes from the mystery girl to Hara.

 

"She can be the person for the bet!"