Paper Hearts

Collections

Note: Italic words are the flashbacks and also the letters in paper hearts.

A young woman was seen sitting under a tree while holding a jar full of papers. Paper hearts to be exact. She caresses the jar as if it is dear to her. A lone tear fell down to her face as she remembered the memories she hold dear.

Spring. A perfect timing to roam the streets. Enjoy the breeze. As the young woman stroll the street a tree caught her attention. Destiny will bring your hearts together. Those words were neatly written in the tree as if it was not made by a human being. She caress it, curiosity filled her mind as if she never seen this wordings in that tree before.

“Beautiful right?” The young woman gasped in horror due to the unexpected voice behind her.

“Sorry. I didn’t mean to scare you.” The young woman was left amaze as she trailed her eyes to the stranger’s face. was slightly agape.

“Hello?” the stranger asked.

“Y-yeah. Sorry I spaced out.”

“No worries. Are you always strolling here?”

“Yeah. Every spring. You’re new in this town right?” the young woman asked.

“Ah I see. Yes I just moved here last week.”

“Ah. That’s why you looked unfamiliar to me.”

“I’m Jessica by the way” the stranger stretch her hand and the young woman welcomed it to her hand out of courtesy. She never expected that she will be fond of her hands. It felt warm and it amazed her.

“Yuri” she answered gleefully.

Yuri, the young woman, took out one paper heart and read the contents written in it. The first day we met I know you’ll be dear to me as to what the tree said. Yuri nodded as she read it. It feels like Jessica is just somewhere there watching her.

“The night sky is beautiful right?” Jessica asked.

“Why you’re so fond of the night sky?”

“Why I wouldn’t?” Yuri scoffed when she heard the answer of the latter.

“Of course, you can’t see anything because there’s no sun.”

“Sun is not the only source of light. There are street lights, flashlights –“

“Yah! That’s not what I meant! You could be a philosopher you know?”

“I heard that a lot.” There’s a moment of silence when Jessica spoke again.

“Just like the morning sky, the night sky also has beautiful traits. They are unique in their own ways. Just so are you” Yuri blinked her eyes as she was complimented by the beautiful creature beside her.

“What? You don’t believe me?”

“W-what?! No. just taken a back.” She cant comprehend the rapid beating of her heart as Jessica was looking at her.

She took out again a piece of paper heart but there’s no writings in it. She maniacally searched for a paper heart with words written on it until she found one. A sigh escaped on her lips as she read it. You’re the morning sky while I’m the evening sky. You’re warm and outgoing while I’m cold and calm. Never imagined I’ll be this close to someone like you. I guess opposites do attract. Yuri scoffed when she finished reading it.

“You’re not cold pabo” there’s a tear that escaped her eyes again.

“Seriously! We’re sitting here while it’s freaking cold in here!” Yuri almost yelled at Jessica.

“What? We’re still sitting in a blanket” Jessica answered nonchalantly.

“A freaking blanket with a thin fabric. I can feel how cold the ground is”

“Stop wailing Yuri-ah” Jessica said with a puppy eyes. Yuri scoffed but deep inside she was smiling like a fool.

“Your ears are red. Are you that cold?” Jessica asked. Worry was evident in her eyes.

“N-no. I’m good”

“You sure?”

“Yeah. By the way why are we here?” Jessica noticed the sudden change of topic so she decided to stop prying about it.

“Nothing. Just up for a fresh air”

“fresh air! In winter! You’re something”

“I heard that a lot”

Just like what happened a while ago, she searched for another paper heart again. There are some paper hearts that no words written on it. Then again, she managed to see another one. I never tried to go out when its winter. I don’t like it. Too cold to handle. She was curious as to why the note was incomplete so she searched again. But she noticed that, there’s a paper heart attached to the previous ones she read. It was the first time I went out during winter. Because I want to spend my day with you. Every minute counts for me Yuri-ah. Sorry about the cold you got after that ;). Then there’s another one. I know the reason why you’re ears were red that time. I guess mine were that too.

Yuri remembered it so clearly and she laughed at herself because of that.

It was spring again. Yuri was bewildered as to why Jessica hasn’t called her today. She checked her phone several times as to make sure she doesn’t miss a single text or call.

“Jessica?” Yuri suddenly blurted out the name she’s been thinking for a while.

“Hey Yuri!” Jessica greeted her with a warm smile. Warmest smile Yuri seen in her whole life.

“Why you haven’t contacted me?”

“I don’t want to disturb you”

“You never disturbed me Sica” Jessica was shocked because of the nickname Yuri blurted out. Way to destroy the moment yuri! she mentally scolded herself.

“I-I mean Jessica. HAHAHA”

“Then I’ll call you seobang.”

“Seobang?!”

“Why? Don’t you like it?”

“whatever you want. Sica.” Yuri paused for a while before they burst into laughter.

“Okay okay. Stop now. My tummy is aching”

“You miss me right?” Jessica asked. And Yuri smiled warmly at her.

“Yeah. So much. What are these for?” Yuri asked as she saw Jessica making paper hearts.

“Nothing.  Just an ornament for my house.”

“I see.”

“Remember our third friendsary last spring?” Yuri scoffed at the term the latter used.

“Yeah. Why?”

“Nothing. I just remembered.” Yuri looked at Jessica with curiosity as to why she suddenly blurted it out. She also noticed that Jessica became paler than before.

Paper hearts were scattered into her handkerchief as she search for another one. And she managed again to get a hold a paper heart again. I’m sorry for lying seobang. I know it’s a selfish act but I cant help it. I don’t know what to say. How to say it. Im deeply sorry. Please don’t hate me.

“I won’t and never will” Yuri said.

Yuri went to the hospital when she received a call from Jessica’s mother. She prayed to Gods that nothing bad will happen to Jessica. She went to the nurse station to ask the room of the latter.

“Room 416 ma’am”

“Thank you” She immediately went to the elevator and prayed again for the best.

She never meant to hear the diagnosis of the doctor but she heard it. She pretended she did not but she cant. She looked to Jessica to say that this all a joke but she looked away with a tear falling to her face.

“You got to be kidding me” She whispered to herself but Jessica got a catch of it. She doesn’t need to hear it. She knows Yuri very well.

“I’m sorry” Jessica mouthed to Yuri and she suddenly ran away. Ignoring the calls of Jessica’s family.

Leukemia. A simple word yet a powerful one enough to take Jessica away.

She took the most mysterious paper heart. Mysterious because it has a lot of paper hearts attached on it. It seems like Jessica made this as her diary.

The moment you read this, I know I cant be with you sitting in our tree. I know you followed the instructions that I gave to you. I trust you enough. The reason why I want you to open this today because I know that there’s someone out there today who can mend your broken heart. Im sorry about that. Fear consumed me that’s why I never told you about it. I moved here because my previous doctor advised our family. The best hospital was near here so we decided to stay here for good. And it indeed helps me prolong my stay even just for a period of time.

 I never regretted staying here I thought I do but because of you, I fell in love in this place and to you. Just like what I said to my first paper heart, I know you’ll be dear to me. There’s a reason why I put the paper hearts in those orders. Just like our relationship, it goes from stage one to two and so on. But I am aware that I cant make the final step and I know someone will do that for me.

Always remember that you’re always in my heart. I can feel that this is the time you have to move on. Moving on does not mean forgetting, its about accepting the fact that there are things that are not meant to be. Im glad about the outcome of our relationship. I know everything you did to me. The secret glances, admiration, and the kiss you gave to me secretly while I’m sleeping :) .  I’ll never forget about that. Please be happy my love. That’s all I’m asking for. And for the first and last time I’ll say this to you, I love you Seobang.

And that’s enough to make her cry. Those tears she controlled finally freed from her eyes. The emotions she caged for months are coming out today. And she knows that this will be the last day of her mourning just like what Jessica wants.

Amidst of crying, she saw someone giving her a handkerchief. She took it.

“Thanks” She muttered as she gains her composure.

“Welcome. You got it bad, did you?” The stranger smiled charmingly to her

“Yeah. Past stuffs.”

“You’ll get over it. You seem a strong woman” And she looked at the stranger. She’s indeed beautiful.

“Thanks. You’re new here?”

“yeah. I moved here last week. I heard that the best spring happens here” It reminded her of Jessica.

“You’re right. The best” just like her. she’s the best person ever came into my life. The best friend, teacher and most especially, admirer.

“I’m Yoona by the way”

“Yuri” And she knows that this is the moment Jessica pointing out. Thanks Jessica. I’ll  promise I’ll move forward.


I never expected myself doing a yoonyul fic even though it’s just a small one. Been in my head for weeks already since I heard the song paper hearts by Tori Kelly. Listen to it if you like. And if there’s an instance of my fic being like someone’s work, this is an original creation and it is pure coincidence if ever it was like someone’s work. This story is a one-shot story. Enjoy. And sorry about the wrong grammars XD About the philosopher part, I adapted our inside  joke here in the philippines. When someone is being sarcastic in a way of pointing out the obvious, we tend to say, you’re so “pilosopo” you can be a philosopher. Yeah i just noticed that right now. In case of confusion on that part, I already provided the answer. 

 

Another fact: I finished this before I can even finish lost stars so there's some resemblance. 

and also sorry for the late update! So busy with work and well, boyfie hihihihi. please do comment guys :D