Chapter 2: Staring from Afar

I'm Not Cute!

Sungmin's POV

It was 8:27pm once I got out of the shower. Once I got home, I couldn't think straight because of that Kyuhyun guy, so I decided to take a five hour nap, and when I got up, I decided to take a hot shower since I was freezing. I wrapped a white towel around my waist as I walked out of my bathroom and into my room. As I looked through my drawers, I pulled out a pair of pink pajamas with bunnies on them. Don't make fun of me. My mother made them for me and they remind me of her. Plus, bunnies are my favorite animal. 

 

 

Once I slipped them on and put my towel on top of my head as I was drying my hair, I stepped out of the room and walked through the hallway into the living room. I grabbed the TV remote and pushed the ON button. Just then, I heard my phone ring from the counter. I picked my phone up and flipped it open.

 

 

"Hello?" I answered.

 

 

"Sungminnie? Is that you?"  

 

 

"Mother!" My face was suddenly lightened up and I smiled. I hadn't heard from her for weeks. 

 

 

"Hello baby- *cough* -how are you?" she asked. 

 

 

I breathed a sigh of relief. Although she didn't sound very well, she was still speaking as cheerfully as she could. "I'm doing okay Mother. How are you feeling?"

 

"Same as always, but I'm still managing okay here." Suddenly I frowned. 

 

 

"Do you want me to come check up on you?"

 

 

"No need for that Minnie. *cough* I'm doing just fine here. Don't worry about me. I want you to have fun living in the big city." 

 

 

"You know it's not as fun since you're not here." She chuckled a little bit. 

 

 

"I'll take that as you miss me. Aigoo, I miss you too. But you know I don't have enough money to *cough* stay with you." 

 

 

I sighed sadly, as I do every time I'm reminded of that. "Yeah, I know."

 

 

"Well, I just wanted to call to check up on you. I'll talk to you again soon." 

 

 

"Okay. Bye-bye. I love you!" 

 

 

"Love you too Minnie." And with that, I hung up the phone and let my towel hang around my neck. I hummed as I walked into the kitchen to find something to eat. 

 

 

I used to live in a different part of Seoul with my mother and father. I went to school there, I had a family there... I had a good life. However, when I was really little, my family and I were robbed and my father had to protect us. He was shot twice before we knew he was gone. We lost quite a few things. My mother had to work twice as hard to get back what we lost, but it wasn't enough. I almost thought about dropping out of school so I could get a job and help her, but that's not what she wanted. She wanted me to have a good education, so I stayed just for her. As years went by, I had learned martial arts just in case something like that would happen again, and got a part time job during my highschool days at a popular flowershop. At the end of my senior year, I had earned enough money to go somewhere. Not college, which is where I've always wanted to go. But I needed to go somewhere out of the house so my mother wouldn't need to work hard for me. My mother and I decided that I should move to a different part of Seoul by myself, and so I did. I quit my job and took a subway. I remember the look on my mother's face once I left: happy yet sad. 

 

 

Once I got to the bigger part of Seoul, I had rented my own house and applied a job at the mini café just down the block where I met Ryeowook, my only good friend here. Working at the mini café didn't pay enough for me to go to college, but enough for me to have a life here, and my mother was proud of me. 

 

 

However, my mother has gotten really sick. She's been sick for two months. I always ask her if I should come back home and take care of her, but she always says that she's going to be fine, and that she goes to the doctor's every week. I worry so much about her, yet all she thinks about is me. 

 

 

Once I finally found some leftover take out food in the fridge, I heated it up quickly and took it over to the couch as I watched TV and ate, taking my phone with me. I felt my phone vibrate and flipped it over once again. It was a text message from Ryeowook. 

 

 

To: Sungmin

Hey hyung! Are you busy? Can I sleepover tonight? Pleeeeeeeease? I have something important to talk to you about!

From: Ryeowook

 

 

I chuckled. Ryeowook doesn't pretend to not act his age. That's just they way he is. 

 

To: Ryeowook

Hey Wookie~ Sure, you can come over! It's kinda lonely here anyway. Plus I have something to tell you too.

From: Sungmin

 

 

To: Sungmin

Yayyyy! Thanks hyung! I'm getting out early today so I'll be there in 10min. I'm gonna bring over some cake to eat too! ^-^

From: Ryeowook 

 

 

To: Ryeowook

Keke~ Alrighty then~ see you then

From: Sungmin

 

 

I flipped my phone down and set it aside as I continued to eat my dinner and watch TV, anticipating Ryeowook's arrival.

 

 

Ryeowook is my only friend here. We used to be neighbors when I first moved here, but he and his parents moved to another house. Not too far away though. Ryeowook was the one who got me my job. Even though I kinda hate it, I'm still thankful. I don't trust anyone else here except for him, after the incident my family went through in the past. He and his family have helped me a lot ever since I moved here. He's just one of those guys you can never hate, you know?

 

 

As if on schedule, ten minutes had passed and my doorbell rang. I put my plate down on the coffee table, set aside the towel that was still on my neck, and walked towards my door. Once I opened it, I saw a smiling Ryeowook with a small cake box in his hands. 

 

 

"Hey hyung!"

 

 

"Come on in!" I gestured my hand towards the living room and let him inside. I noticed he was shivering. "Do you need to borrow a pair of PJ's?" I asked as I closed and locked the door. 

 

 

"If you don't mind," he answered as he set his bag and cake down. I led him into my room and grabbed out a pair of white PJ's. I waited for him to change in the living room. While waiting, I grabbed two forks from the kitchen and opened the cake box on the coffee table. It was a small strawberry cake with two real strawberries on top covered in milk chocolate. Though it was a little small, it was enough for us to share. Soon after, Ryeowook came in and sat next to me on the couch.

 

 

"So what did you need to tell me?" I questioned as I handed him a fork and took the first bite out of the delicious cake. Suddenly his face became red. 

 

 

"U-um, well..."

 

Flashback...

 

Ryeowook's POV

"Alright. Take care, okay? I'll text you when your shift is over." I nodded and waved goodbye as Sungmin hyung left the café. I put my stuff down and changed into my uniform. Every time its my shift, I'm usually the only one left in the café. Not a lot of people come in during this time. But its okay. I'm just happy that I have this job.

 

 

Hours flew by in a blink of an eye. Before I knew it, It was already 8:15pm. Not long until my shift is finally over at 9:00pm. Not many customers today, like always. As I was about to head towards the back, I heard the bells on the door jingle, meaning that a customer had come in. I turned around to look at the customer, and my face went into complete amazement. This guy had a hat in his right hand and a bag over his shoulder. He looked kinda....handsome. I blushed once he approached the counter and looked at the menu above me. Scratch that. He was really handsome! 

 

 

"W-welcome! May I g-get you somet-thing?" I stuttered. He bit his lip as he continued to think.

 

 

"Um, I'll take a small caffé mocha and a Mallorca sweet bread," He answered. I swear I almost fainted after hearing his voice. 

 

 

"That'll be 10,000 won*." He handed me the money as I packed it inside the cash register. As I handed his receipt I went to go make his drink and take out the bread from the back. When I gave him his items, he thanked me and went to go sit at a table by himself as he set his hat and bag down while taking out his phone, probably texting someone. I stood in the corner, watching him, and I noticed on his bag. There was a big turtle on it, which made me smile a little. How cute! As he took a sip of his drink, he had a little foam on his lip. I chuckled, but suddenly remembered that I didn't give him any napkins. I grabbed a couple from the counter and started walking towards him, when I suddenly tripped and fell on the floor, letting out a mild scream.

 

 

"Omo! Are you okay?" I picked my head up and saw him standing in front of me, sticking out his hand. I blushed deeply as I took his hand and stood up

 

 

"Y-yeah, t-thanks..." I said embarrassedly, eyes glued to the floor. 

 

 

"No problem." He smiled at me, and he still had a little foam on his lip. I continued to blush as I handed him the napkins. He took them and continued to smile. "Thanks...Ryeowook."

 

 

"Eh?" How did he know my name? Has he seen me before? Do I know him? I was a little lost in my thoughts that I almost didn't notice him pointing to my name tag, and I blushed in embarassment. "Oh..." I must look really stupid to him right now. He suddenly chuckled at me before heading back to his table. He picked his bag and slipped it over his shoulder while slipping his hat on his head. He picked up his hot drink and bread before looking at me.

 

 

"See ya around," he said before he left the café, leaving me standing there, watching as he went. I felt my face getting hot again. I've never seen a guy like him before. If only he told me his name.

 

 

End of Flashback

Sungmin's POV

"Wookie's got a crush on someone!" I squealed as I hugged my friend. 

 

 

"H-hyung!" he squeaked as his face became red again. 

 

 

"Sorry. I'm just really happy for you."

 

 

"I don't know if I'll see him again though."

 

 

"I believe you will. Certain people enter your life for a reason." Suddenly, a smile appeared on his face. 

 

 

"Thanks hyung!" he exclaimed as he took a bite out of our cake that we're almost finished with. "Oh yeah! You said you wanted to tell me something as well. What is it?"

 

 

"Oh, on my shift, this guy came in and stayed until my shift was over, and when I got out, he was waiting for me. I thought he was pretty weird. Then he comes up to me saying that I'm cute. CUTE! That guys needs a good talking to. And when I started going home, he started following me! Well, he said his house was in the same direction, but he kept calling me cute, and I got super annoyed. He even said he'd come see me tomorrow. I really don't wanna see him. I don't think he'll stay away from me. Especially since he said he wanted to get to know me." Ryeowook knows how much I hated being called cute, so I asumed that he'd understand my situation clearly, but he started smiling at me. 

 

 

"Aww! Hyung! That's so cute!"

 

 

"Wookie!"

 

 

He grinned. "Ah, sorry. I think its kinda sweet though."

 

 

"What's sweet about having a stalker?"

 

 

"How old is he?"

 

 

"Pretty sure he's a highschooler."

 

 

"Don't think of him stalking you then. Think of it as a normal guy who might have a crush on you!" 

 

 

I put my plate down and pouted disagreeably. "Please. There's no way Kyuhyun would have a crush on me right when we had just met. Obviously, he's just messing with me."

 

 

"Kyuhyun? That's his name? Aww, you remembered his name!" Suddenly I blushed. 

 

 

"Y-yah! Don't get the wrong idea! I- j-just-...." I couldn't get anything to come out. What was I really trying to say? Ryeowook began to smirk at me. Really! Don't get the wrong idea! So what if I remembered his nmae? It doesn't mean anything! Just then, Ryeowook's vibrated, meaning that he had gotten a text message. Thank God! Something to break my awkwardness. "Who's it from?" I asked as I put our empty plate on the table and scooted closer to him to look at the text. 

 

 

"My friend Eunhyuk. He used to go to school with my last year. He's been looking for a job because he got fired from his last one, so I'm gonna help him get a job at the café." 

 

 

To: Ryeowook

Really? Thanks a lot! It means a lot to me! If I get his job, hopefully I'll be able to meet your other friend as well ^-^

From: Eunhyuk

 

 

"You told him about me?" I asked as I stared at the text. 

 

 

"Yup! I always talk about you hyung. You're my best friend after all. Me and Eunhyuk are close, but we became a lot closer. Don't worry. He's a really nice person. You're really gonna like him." I smiled. How lucky am I to have such a good friend like Ryeowook? If this Eunhyuk guy is a really good friend of his, I might as well try being friends with him too.

 

 

"Thanks Wookie. We should get to bed now. You must be tired and I gotta wake up early tomorrow."

 

 

"Okay hyung." We cleaned the table up before we started heading to my room. I don't have another guest room, so we both share my bed, 

 

 

"Now you can dream about your crush Wookie~" I teased. I saw his face turn red before I turned off the lights and we both crawled into my bed. I just love teasing him. 

 

 

"Then you can dream about Kyuhyun, hyung."

 

 

"Yah!" I heard him chuckle before drifting off to sleep. I pouted before I turned to my side. Why would I be dreaming of that guy I hate him anyway. I hate him. I hate him. I hate him. I hate him. 

 

 

(*10,000 won = about $9.00)


A/N: New chapter is here! And its a long one too! Just for you guys, since I have a lot of subscribers already ^_^ So, what do you think? I spent a long time writing this out. Did everyone get the hint about Wookie's secret crush? You know, the one with the turtle on his bag? Kekeke ^^ Please comment and subscribe!!! <33333