Chapter 1: Strange Encounters

I'm Not Cute!

Sungmin's POV

"Thank you! Come again soon!" I smiled and bowed at the customer as they took their latte and left the café. Once they were gone, I sighed and looked at the clock. Just one more hour until my shift is over. I work at a mini caféthat's just a few blocks away from my house. I work seven hours a day from 8:00am to 3:00pm, and I am so tired right now. Just one more hour until I can finally walk home and sleep on my comfortable bed that I just love so much.

 

 

Taking my distraction away from the clock, I heard the bells on the door jingle, meaning that another customer had come. I turned around and saw a guy who must've been a highschooler, considering that he had a bookbag over his shoulder. I watched him walk slowly towards the counter as he started looking all around the room. Hello! I don't have all day!

 

 

"Welcome sir! May I get you something?" I asked politely with that annoying smile I hate so much. He finally reached the counter and look at me straight in the eyes. I blushed a little because I never feel comfortable with eye contact and once I took a good look at his face, he was really good-looking. He didn't even look like a high-schooler. 

 

 

"U-um, I'll take a regular latte, but with extra whipped cream please," he finally said aloud. 

 

 

"Coming right up!" I walked away from the counter and took out a clear plastic cup. I filled it up with fresh newly made latte. I grabbed the bottle of whipped cream and pointed the nozzle towards the hot drink and poured whipped cream into it with a little extra, just like he said. I closed the lid on top before I walked back toward the counter. As I placed the latte on top, I was about to tell him the amount he needed to pay, but he had already placed the money on the counter and I opened the register as I placed the money inside. Once I closed the register, I bowed and smiled again. 

 

 

"Thank you! Please enjoy your latte!" I exclaimed in the most cheerful way I could. He just smiled at me before taking a seat at a booth. I blushed a little again once I saw his smile. I watched him sip his hot drink slowly as he played with his phone. He was the only customer present. Suddenly, he took his eyes away from his phone and looked at me, making eye contact again. I blushed and quickly made my way towards the back in the kitchen where pasteries were made. Why am I acting like this? I've seen a lot of other good-looking guys before, and I've never been this flustered. I looked at the wall clock again. Only ten minutes have passed since I last looked, and I sighed. As I made my way towards the counter again, more customers arrived and came inside. While I was serving them, I noticed the guy was still sitting at the booth, his latte only halfway finished and staring out the window to his right, laying his chin on his right hand.

 

 

The rest of the hour seemed to have passed by somewhat quickly. New customers came in and a few regulars came by as well, but the only person I noticed was the guy who was still sitting at the booth, looking out the window and finishing the last drops of his latte. As the last customer stepped out of the café, I went to the back to take off of my uniform and put a long brown coat while wrapping a pink scarf around my neck. I'm not girly. I just really like the color pink. As I was about to leave, I heard the door open and saw my best friend, Ryeowook, come in.

 

 

"Wookie!" I exclaimed. He looked at me and suddenly his face had brightened up.

 

 

"Mini hyung!" He scurried over to me and gave me a hug. I chuckled as I hugged him back. "You're leaving already?"

 

 

"Yeah, my shift just ended. It's going pretty slow today. There's only one customer left here," I answered as I pulled away. 

 

 

"Hm? Where? There's no one else here." I frowned, puzzled. Did he leave already? I walked towards the door and poked my head out to look around. No one was there. That guy had finally left. "You should get going hyung. It's gonna get late soon." I smiled. 

 

 

"Alright. Take care, okay? I'll text you right after your shift is over." Ryeowook nodded his head and waved goodbye as I started to leave the café. Once I stepped outside, I shivered. Of course it would be this cold: December just started. I really wish I had a hat and a pair of gloves though. I can't stand being in the cold sometimes. Not that I hated winter or anything - honestly, I loved the snow. I like to still play in it a little when I can. But I just want to be as warm as possible. As I stood in place, breathing hot air onto my hands to warm them, I looked around and saw someone leaning against the café window. Once he turned his head to look at me, I blushed a little. It was that same guy who was just in the café. The one who was sitting at the booth looking at his phone for an hour. What is he still doing here?

 

 

"Um, hi..." he spoke as he walked towards me. 

 

 

"Hey," I answered quietly. What does this guy want?

 

 

"I'm Cho Kyuhyun." He stuck his hand out for me to shake, smiling a little. 

 

 

"Lee Sungmin." I wrapped my arms around my chest, trying to build body heat. Sorry, but I'm cold. I don't have any gloves, so I'm not going to shake your hand. He pulled his hand away and scartched the back of his neck. Oh great, I made it awkward now. 

 

 

"Are you cold?" No, I'm perfectly warm in this thin, brown coat and old pink scarf. Yes, I'm cold! I nodded my head and rolled my eyes, but I didn't let him see it. "Sorry, I just thought you might've been cold since you're shivering and you're wearing such a thin coat and a....pink scarf." 

 

 

"So? You got a problem with that? What's wrong with wearing a pink scarf? Is it too girly for you?" I asked, starting to get irritated. I swear this guy is annoying me!

 

 

"No, not at all! There's nothing wrong with it. In fact, I think you look really...cute in it," he chuckled while blushing a little. Did this guy just call me cute?

 

 

"Yah! Who do you think you are?! Don't ever call me cute again! I hate it when people call me cute," I raised my voice a little at him. He looked like he was startled a little. Good. Be afraid of me. I didn't want to listen to anymore he had to say, so I my heel and started heading home. The nerve of that guy. How dare he call me cute! Guys aren't mean to be called cute. What does he take me for, a girl? He's lucky I didn't hurt him for that since I'm really cold. I don't wanna be bumping into him again. 

 

 

Suddenly, I started to hear footsteps behind me. I looked behind and saw him following me. Why!?

 

 

"Yah! Stop following me! Go away!" I yelled as I kept walking. 

 

 

"I can't. My house is this way," he answered calmly, still following me. 

 

 

"Well, then stay a few feet away from me."

 

 

"Why?"

 

 

"Because you annoy me!" 

 

 

"But all I said was I thought you were cute-"

 

 

"Argh! Will you be quiet!? Why do you keep calling me that!?" Just then, he grabbed my hand and spun me around. He looked at me with innocent eyes. 

 

 

"Because I'm serious. I think you're really cute." I blushed at his serious comment. I walked away once I snatched my hand away, but he kept following me.

 

 

"Stay away from me."

 

 

"I can't."

 

 

"Why not?"

 

 

"I wanna get to know you, Sungmin."

 

 

"Yah, don't call my name like you're my friend or something."

 

 

"Then let me be your friend." Aish! This guy! Does he really want to die? Suddenly, we finally approached my house. I sighed in relief as I went towards my door. Once I got it open, I looked back at him. 

 

 

"You can go away now," I stated firmly as I stepped inside. 

 

 

"I'll come see you tomorrow then!" he exclaimed as I closed the door on him. I pressed my back against the door and slid down till I touched the ground, sighing. 

 

 

Aish, this guy, what's with him? Can't he tell that I don't like being called cute? And what does he mean he'll come see me tomorrow? I don't wanna see him. He annoys me so much. 

 

I think you're cute. 

 

 

Why do I keep blushing? Is it because of the way he said it? I don't even know. Why am I like this all of a sudden?

 

 

I'll come see you tomorrow then! 

 

 

Is he really gonna see me tomorrow? When? Where-- Argh! I shouldn't be worrying about him right now! I got up from the floor and walked all the way towards my bedroom and plopped down on my bed, laying on my stomach.

 

 

Cho Kyuhyun. I really hate that guy...

 


A/N: First chapter is up!! ^^ And thus the beginning of Kyumin has begun. I was really excited to put this first chapter up. I think I'm really going to enjoy this story ^^ Will update asap! Please comment and subscribe!! <33333