If Life was a Movie, I’d Receive the Best New Actress Award

Detached [Broken Love]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 8: If Life was a Movie, I’d Receive the Best New Actress Award
Narrator POV

“You warned the maids right?”

“Tell them if we get through this, I’ll double their pay for a year.”

“Nah I still don’t trust them, let’s just duck tape their mouths.”

“L.Joe, CHILL,” Chunji threw a rag at the strawberry head.

“YAH!” L.Joe scowled and started fixing his hair, “You know how important this is to me, I can’t afford to be kicked out. I’ll lose my car, my money, my car, my status, my c-…”

“Ahem,” Chunji crossed his arms and leaned against the wall, “You do realise that the biggest loophole to your plan is her and not the maids right?”

“Her?” L.Joe looked to see where Chunji was facing and saw Inna sitting by the window, staring into space, “We talked, she agreed to act.”

“Reaaally,” Chunji stretched out his syllables, “She doesn’t look okay though,” his eyes silently studied L.Joe, “What did you say to her.”

“Um…” L.Joe looked away uncomfortably, “Nothing… I just…”

A house maid interrupted their conversation, “The Master’s car just turned into the driveway!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Inna POV

L.Joe’s eyes shifted at super speed and he ran around the house yelling, “REMEMBER WE AREN’T SUPPOSED TO KNOW THAT MY ABUJI IS COMING SO MAKE YOURSELVES LOOK BUSY!”

I snapped out of my daze when I heard the yelling but I wasn’t even given a chance to register my surroundings when L.Joe rushed over and half dragged, half carried me over to the couch. He then hastily flipped the TV on and pulled me against his chest, forcing my head to rest under his chin. At first I struggled against him because… well why wouldn’t I? But then L.Joe tightened his hold and spoke through gritted teeth.

“We’re supposed to be a happy couple.”

I turned into spaghetti in an instant, of course… how could I forget? The facade for his father.

“Am I going to have to live the rest of my life as a lie now?” I mumbled to no one in particular but L.Joe heard it and answered, “Yeah as long as you’re with me.”

I rolled my eyes and resisted the urge to whack him with a pillow.

Ding Dong

The doorbell rang and Chunji quickly glanced at us, L.Joe gave him the okay sign, and the butler ran to get the door.

The exchange of greetings could be heard and even though L.Joe had his eyes glued to the TV, he couldn’t even see what it was playing.

“L.JOE HYUNGGGGG!” an excited voice yelled down the hall and a boy I’ve never seen before appeared.

“Your Abuji and me came all the way across the ocean to surprise you,” Changjo winked, “Aren’t you happy.”

L.Joe untucked my head from him and instead, took my hand and walked towards the entrance, not forgetting to give the younger boy a noogie when passing by.

“L.Joe,” an older man came into view and showed his signature fatherly smile at the ‘happy’ couple.

“Abuji,” L.Joe shone his winning smile and finally released my hand to hug his dad.

I took this time to wipe my hand on my jeans, don’t over think, it was just because that his hands were sweaty. It had only then occurred to me how anxious L.Joe was, how scared he was to displease his father. 

“Inna!”

I bowed politely when called upon and, “Welcome Abuji.”

“Inna ah, is L.Joe treating you decently? Why do you look so tired?”

At least he notices, I thought but I just smiled and nodded.

“Of course Abuji,” L.Joe quickly jumped in, “We’re always travelling and going to places, I took her out last night, that’s why she looks worn out,” L.Joe gave a cheeky grin and started naming off places near the area that I’ve never even heard of.

“Ah wow,” Abuji chuckled, “Five years and your guy’s relationship haven’t died a single bit.”

I had to close my mouth to keep the weird sound from my throat from coming out, L.Joe scratched the back of his neck timidly.

Great Actor I thought.

“Hyung! Niel told me that you guys were supposed to hangout with him today but since Abuji is here should I just tell him that you can go?” Changjo recited the perfectly planned escape plan they had created earlier on the phone.

L.Joe started to nod but his dad cut in and spoke, “Oh don’t let this old man ruin your plans, I’ll be staying here for a while so don’t feel obliged to keep me company.”

“But Abuji it’s your first day here…” L.Joe pouted and jabbed me in the waist, “Y-Yeah,” I caught on, “I should cook for you…”

“No, no need,” Abuji chuckled, “You can do that tomorrow, go and enjoy yourselves tonight, I can settle in myself.”

“Are you sure?” L.Joe asked for good measure.

“Yes, now get out before I throw you out,” his dad gave him a playful nudge in the shoulder.

“Thank you Abuji,” L.Joe beamed a smile. He then slung on his backpack and took my hand.

L.Joe, me, and the unknown boy all bowed once before leaving, as soon as the door closed, L.Joe released my hand and let out a breath, “That was close.”

“Yeah,” Changjo sniggered, “I say this with all the respect but how the hell did your dad buy the entire act. Even a stranger on the road can tell that you two have zero chemistry.”

“Shut up,” L.Joe glared at the younger boy before asking, “So are you coming with us?”

“Nope,” he shook his head, “I’m going over to Ricky’s house.” He then turned to me and gave me a handshake, “I’m Changjo by the way, it was nice meeting you. Oh and don’t be scared of L.Joe, he’s a fluffy teddy bear under all those layers of dead skin cells.”

“Yah!” L.Joe snapped and Changjo smiled mischievously while running to the waiting car, “Bye Hyung! Bye Noona! I’ll see you guys later tonight!”

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter