Chapter Twenty Five

Waiting

(( Omg, I can't believe it. This story has come so far, and it's sad to see it end. Thank you to everyone who's taken the time to read and support this story, and to Angel and Erika for being my lovely beta readers uwu I couldn't have gotten this far without all of you. ))

 


“Well Mr. Park, I’m happy to say that we can decrease the amount of sessions that you have each week.” Chanyeol looked up from his lap and at the woman across the desk from him. “You don’t seem happy about that,” She commented and he shook his head.

“It’s not that, I just… wasn’t exactly expecting that so soon,” he replied.

“It’s not like we won’t be continuing our sessions, I just believe that we can change our meetings from twice a week down to once,” She explained, making note of something on the notepad in front of her. That used to drive him crazy with worry, but he had gotten used to it over the six months he had been there. “Does that distress you?”

“I… no… sort of?” Chanyeol shook his head, running a hand through his hair.

“Change can cause distress, especially for those who don’t like a disruption in patterns. But I assure you this is good, Chanyeol. How are you been sleeping?”

“I’ve gotten through most nights recently without trouble.”

“Any nightmares?”

“Only one.”

“The same as before?” Chanyeol bit the inside of his cheek and nodded. “I see. Have you thought of suing something with your friend, Jongdae, in memory of Baekhyun? Perhaps it would-”she stopped when Chanyeol began to laugh and she watched him shake his head before looking back to her.

“That’s the last thing he would agree to. He spent so long trying to forget Baekhyun. If I hadn’t started to remember, I’m sure that he would still be living that way.”

“I feel that I would be beneficial for the both of you then, but as always it’s up to you.”

 

The sessions were lowered to once a week and three months passed before she brought changing the session amounts to once every other week.

“The anniversary his death is coming up again, isn’t it?” Chanyeol felt his throat tighten and he nodded, staring down at his hands as he waited for invoice to come back.

“Yeah… the fourth year since then.”

“Do you and Jongdae plan to spend the day together as you tried to last year?”

“We weren’t spending the day together for that purpose last year.” A sale tugged the corner of her lips.

“Are you Shure about that?” She asked. “I don’t know more about Jongdae than what you’re told me but I would conclude that he knew it was a day that he felt more vulnerable so he spent it with you because you’re someone important to him, and he trusts you.”

“I honestly don’t think he trusts anyone.”

“He let you into his home, didn’t he?” Chanyeol paused, looking up at her. “That’s a sign of trust. He didn’t always allow you into his home,” She added. “So do you want to spend the day with him as you planned to last year?”

“I would like to. I haven’t seen him in a while, but more than I did after I moved,” Chanyeol replied and she nodded. “Maybe even… see if he wants to do something… in Baekhyun’s memory,” he said slowly when he looked back up at her, her smile had reached her eyes.

 

“You want me to what?” Chanyeol groaned at the bite in the brunet’s voice, laying his ear on the table so he could still look up at him.

“Come on Jongdae, it would be good for the both of us.”

“Like hell it would be, that therapist has been pumping bull into that head of yours. The last thing that’s going to do either of us good is holding another damn memorial service for him.”

“Did you go to the one that his parents held?”

“Yeah.”

“I didn’t get that choice.” Jongdae’s shoulders tensed, his eyes widening a little. “It would mean everything for me if you would do this for me.” Jongdae stared at him for a long moment before his shoulders drooped and he sighed.

“What do you want me to do?”

 

“Jongdae it’s been too long sweetie.” Chanyeol watched the brunet stiffed as he was pulled into a hug, hesitating before he returned the embrace. When she pulled back she reached up and held Jongdae’s face, already misty yes. “How have you been? I was completely surprised when I got your call…” She trailed off when her age caught onto Chanyeol and Jongdae gently removed her and fro his face.

“Chanyeol…” She seemed shocked as his name slipped from as she covered it, and he lowered his gaze just before she pulled him against herself, hugging him so tightly that it hurt. He looked to Jongdae who have a small shrug, then looked down at Mrs. Byun and wrapped his arms around her in return. She pulled back suddenly, looking up at him. “I-I’m sorry, you probably don’t know who-”

“I remember you, don’t worry. I was able to recover any of my memories that were important by now,” Chanyeol said, offering half a smile.

“It was Chanyeol’s idea to hold a memorial service,” Jongdae said, crossing his arms over his chest. Mrs. Byun looked to him and then back to Chanyeol.

“We missed you at the last one. Jongdae told me that you were in a coma when it happened, and that you couldn’t remember anything about Baekhyun until last year.” Chanyeol closed his eyes, lowering his head a little.

“Yeah… It was shocking not being able to remember… and then shocking again when my memories started coming back. But Jongdae helped me through it, same with ZiTao.”

“ZiTao?” Mrs. Byun asked and Chanyeol nodded, looking across the room at the blond who was by the table that was slowly collecting more and more pictures of Baekhyun as people came to the service.

“Yeah, he’s… someone dear to me. It turns out he was the one who called for an ambulance for Baekhyun.” Chanyeol frowned, taking a deep breath and looking over to Jongdae for a moment. “Mrs. Byun, I… Something you need to know about that day. Baekhyun he- he didn’t try to kill himself. We were messing around on the roof and he slipped.” Mrs. Byun stared at him for a moment, her face losing some of its color. “I just… thought you should know,” Chanyeol added, rubbing the back of his neck. He was rescued when a soft thump sounded from the speakers and they looked to the stage.

“Hello everyone. Thank you for coming here today in memory of Byun Baekhyun.” Jongdae shifted to Chanyeol’s side and the blond on the stage smiled at the pair. “Today, two of Baekhyun’s closest friends have prepared a small performance in honor of him,” Yifan continued before gesturing to the piano and the pair made their way up the steps to the stage. Yifan handed to microphone to Jongdae who stared down at it, his throat tightening. “I know it’s been years, but you’ll be fine,” He whispered into the brunet’s ear before kissing the side of his head and making his way down from the stage.

Chanyeol looked down at the piano, taking a deep breath before looking over at Jongdae who was gripping the microphone so tightly that his hand was shaking. He reached out, Jongdae jumping a little when his hand barely touched his side, and he looked over at Chanyeol.

“You don’t have to do this. I shouldn’t have tried to force you into it, it’s fine.” Jongdae stared at him for a moment before looking out at the small gathering seated before the stage. He lowered his gaze, then his head a little, shaking it.

“No, let’s do this…” he looked over at Chanyeol from the corner of his eye. “For Baekhyun.” Chanyeol nodded, looking down at the piano. He closed his eyes for a moment, feeling his own fingers tremble a little before he began to play.

The piano wasn’t his forte, he had actually been practicing for this on his guitar, but when practicing with Jongdae one afternoon he noticed how the brunet stared at the piano and he had asked him if he wanted Chanyeol to play the piano instead. So he practiced until he was sure that he could play the song in his sleep, never missing the pain in Jongdae’s eyes when he played the song that Jongdae wanted him to; the same one that Baekhyun was supposed to play for him before he died.

He kept a close eye on Jongdae as the other sang, feeling stings in his chest when the other’s voice would shake or crack a little, occurring more as the performance went on. On the last chorus Jongdae stopped singing and lowered the microphone, Chanyeol’s hands freezing where they were. He only hesitated a moment before he stood and closed the distance, pulling Jongdae against his chest as tightly as he could, the microphone dropping to the stage as Jongdae’s tears stained the other’s shirt.

 

Chanyeol sighed as he flopped back onto ZiTao’s bed, feeling the bed shift a little when ZiTao sat beside him on it a moment later.

“I think that went well,” He said, opening his eyes and looking up at ZiTao, who offered a small smile. “I hope you didn’t feel left out or awkward at the service,” He added and ZiTao shook his head.

“It was really heartwarming seeing so many people gathering, and all the pictures that they brought of Baekhyun,” the blond replied, leaning down to place a light kiss on Chanyeol’s lips when the older reached up to cup his cheek. He giggled when Chanyeol pulled him back down for a longer kiss, pulling back when he noticed Chanyeol digging in his pocket. “What are,” He stopped when Chanyeol held up a small tube, staring at it as he read the label several times to make sure he was reading it correctly.

“Peace flavored lube? Seriously?” ZiTao asked, Chanyeol grinning in response. “What do you plan to do with that, it’s not like-” he squeaked a little when Chanyeol grabbed his hips, pulling him from where he was sitting and over his lap so he was straddling the older, his cheeks tinting.

“I haven’t taken my meds in almost a year.” ZiTao stared at him, Chanyeol’s grin growing when it clicked for the blond.

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah.”

“You’re not going to start crying?” Chanyeol’s grin drooped into a pout.

“No.”

“Do I need to tie you to the bed so you don’t fall off like that one time you -”

“That was one time!” ZiTao giggled, placing his hands on either side of Chanyeol’s head to steady himself, smiling down at the other.