Chapter One

Waiting

A/N: Hello and welcome to the first chapter~ I don't know how long this one is going to be, it kinda doubled in length when I tried to come up with a filler chapter that added a lot to the fic in general. I hope you all enjoy~ (( I also apologize for any awkward wording, I haven't really had it Beta read/reviewed ))


chanyeol-exo-Favim.com-501598.jpg

Prologue

Beep…. Beep…. Beep…

 

Chanyeol’s eyes opened halfway, only to be greeted with harsh white light that had him closing them again. Where was he? This didn’t feel like his bed; where was the spring that always tried to imbed itself into his back? And why was the room so bright, even in the middle of the day is room was never this bright. Why were his legs so stiff, let alone bent? He almost never bent his legs while he slept.
 

He tried to straighten his legs when he remembered how to move them, his bare feet meeting a cold object that felt like a metal bar, worry seeping into his stomach - something felt seriously wrong. The beeping he had woken to increased its speed a little and he tried to open his eyes again. Slowly he managed, blinking several times before his eyes focused on a pouch of clear liquid. His eyes followed the cord at the bottom of it that stopped at the back of his left hand, held in place by some kind of tape. He tried to move his hand, cringing when it felt like something was scarping at the inside of his vein. He looked past the bag, seeing a figure sitting in a chair a few feet from the bed he was in. As she came into focus, he swallowed hard, becoming aware of how gritty his throat felt before he tried to speak.
 

“Mom?” The woman’s head snapped from watching something to him, her eyes wide. She stood and hurried to his side, cupping his face.
 

“Chanyeol! Oh my god, you’re awake!”
 

“Mom, what’s going on? Where am I?” She bit her lip in response then reached back and pulled her chair up beside the bed he was in, rubbing his shoulder gently, then soothing her hand over his hair.
 

“You’re in the hospital. They said you hit your head really hard after some kind of fall. You were so unresponsive to the tests they were doing they thought…” She swallowed hard and took a deep breath and he saw her lower lip quiver a little. “They said there was a real chance you wouldn’t wake back up.”
 

Hospital… He fell? Doing what?

“How… how long have I been here?”

“Ten days.”

He closed his eyes, the corners of his mouth perking up.
 

“I missed the first day of my senior year.” When she didn’t say anything he opened his eyes again, his smile fading at her expression of shock and confusion. “What is it?”
 

“Chanyeol… It’s half way through your senior year.” It was Chanyeol’s turn for shock to cross his features as she continued. “You did go to your first day of senior year… You’ve gone every day until two weeks ago when winter break started.”
 

Chanyeol opened his mouth, his throat tightening as his head started to spin and nothing came out of his mouth. This had to be a joke. A sick one, but a joke. His mother reached out to place her hand back on his cheek.
 

“Honey, you’ve gone pale. Please don’t worry. The doctor said that coma patients sometimes have trouble remembering things when they first wake up. It’s alright. You’re alright now.” She soothed, rubbing her thumb against his cheek.

 

The next half hour was a blur of motions. A nurse came in and helped him sit up in the bed after his mother had pressed the call button and explained to her what had happened. She checked his blood pressure, the dilatation of his pupils, and how his lungs sounded when he breathed saying something that he wasn’t able to focus on enough to understand. His mother was smiling though, so he assumed it was good news. He was too lost in trying to remember the last six months to listen, baffled by how he could just… forget that much of his life.
 

The nurse left after bringing in a tray with some crackers, a cup of water and a sliced apple, warning him to take it easy with getting his stomach readjusted to eating. As he was on his second cracker a man with a white lab coat came in, introducing himself as Chanyeol’s doctor. He looked over Chanyeol’s chart, nodding to himself before setting it on the hook it had been hanging from at the end of the bed.
 

“How are you feeling?” He asked. “Any pain to report?” Chanyeol shook his head once slowly, continuing to nibble on his cracker for a moment.
 

“Not really. The IV hurts… But only when I try to use my hand.” He said and the doctor nodded.
 

“With any luck we’ll be able to take that out in a few hours, and you’ll be able to go home tomorrow morning from the looks of your chart.” He explained, Momma Park’s smile growing on her face. “I do have some questions for you, if you’re feeling up to it.” Chanyeol gave a small shrug of his shoulders. And the doctor nodded again, reaching back for the clipboard and pen.
 

“Do you know where you live?”

“1032, Anton way.”

“How old are you?”

“Eighteen.”

“When is your birthday?”

“November 27th.”

“Do you have family besides your parents?”

“I have a sister.”

The doctor wrote as he continued to rattle off questions, lowering the clipboard after close to a dozen.

“And lastly, what is the capital of Taiwan?”

“Taipei.”
 

The doctor smiled, setting the clipboard on the hook yet again.

“Everything seems alright.” He stated and Chanyeol started to gum his cracker again when his mother spoke up.

“Doctor he… he doesn’t remember anything from the last six months.” The doctor’s smile fell when he looked to her, then back at Chanyeol for a long moment. His smile returned, but something about it seemed strained.

“In cases where head trauma is suffered, it is common for someone to have gaps in their memory. We can do a scan again later as a follow up to the one we gave you while you were in your coma to see if there are any signs of physical damage that would explain that. There weren’t any in the last scan, but we can do another if you would like.” Chanyeol turned his gaze to his tray of food. “Mrs. Park, may I speak with you for a moment?” He asked. She looked to Chanyeol who continued to stare at his food which fell out of focus as he started to zone out. She stepped over to him, kissing the top of his head.

“We’ll be right outside the door. If you need anything, just call.” He nodded and the pair left the room. He closed his eyes, setting the cracker back on the tray. Shifting the best he could, he slid down so he could lay back rather than continue to sit up in the bed. He had only been awake for an hour, yet he already felt exhausted.

“I think it would be best not to try to bring…… remember. There’s a chance that the …... Locked away …... Protect him…... Capable of doing.” Chanyeol didn’t manage to catch much of anything said, getting distracted by how his body was starting to feel heavy again and soon his surroundings faded out.

 


(( A/N Ta-dah~ 1200 words is a pretty decent length for an intro chapter I think. And I figured that was a nice place to leave off for the moment :3 The next chapter will be a lot of overview, just because I don't really have much for Chanyeol's senior year. The fun stuff starts when he begins college owo ))