The Option

A Living Dead
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“So you were mute?”

Woohyun, Sungkyu, together with L were having a small meeting, well, kind of. Myungsoo just finished his part time job, while both the reapers don’t really have a tight schedule for the day. There they were, sitting in tteokbokki stall having a snack.

“Yeah I think so,” Myungsoo took another bite of the chewy, sweet, and spicy rice cake.

“You think so?”

“There’s one lady who knew him. She was shock to see him talk,” Sungkyu explained while Myungsoo was idly nodding his head.

“Well that’s a surprise. I see you manage it so well, L.”

“My neck-chocking reaction has passed. I can’t do anything about it anyway. Why would I be so stressed for too long about it?”

Something was odd with L –that’s what Woohyun thought. He was way too accepting. Way too relax, unlike the usual.

“Okay, let’s connect the dots…” Woohyun grabbed a blank paper and started writing. “The hints so far, you love Hyunae, you are mute, and a boy who lost grip of his balloon…”

Silence filled the air, Woohyun and Sungkyu was trapped in a deep thought. There’s only the sound of Myungsoo chewing his rice cake, obviously.

Woohyun suddenly flicked his finger. “I got it.”

“I know what you’re thinking,” Sungkyu lifted his head.

“You think? It’s possible isn’t it?”

“What? What is possible?” Myungsoo said. 

“You see, this is the scenario we’ve been thinking. You are about to confess to Hyunae, but you couldn’t because you’re mute. So you followed her but then you saw that boy, trying to catch the balloon. And you saved the boy and died.”

“Yeah, like the boy crossed the road without seeing because he was too focused with the balloon.”

Myungsoo frowned. “Saving the boy makes sense. But confess to Hyunae? Why would I do that?! Like, did I even dream to have her as my girlfriend when I am not even able to speak?”

“Well why not?” Woohyun said.

“You see, Hyunae doesn’t even know me. And why would I confess to her?”

“How about talk to her?” Sungkyu said. “Like you wanted to say something. Not a confession maybe.”

Woohyun nodded. “Now we just need to find out that missing part.”

Myungsoo scoffs. “Hey, this is real. It’s not a drama or movie where the character died heroically by saving another person.”

“Why not? You’ll be surprised of how many people died sacrificing themselves for others.”

“Seriously?”

Woohyun nodded. “People like you are most probably died that way. Just like movies. Obviously you don’t think people who died sick on a bed peacefully will be given this chance, do you?”

“You have your own reason to be back to live, L. Reason why you can’t rest in peace.”

Myungsoo sighed. “It’s too early to conclude anything. Let’s talk again once I get another piece.”

 

 

That evening…

Myungsoo and Hyunae were having dinner together. It was a humble one, with jjajangmyun, jjampong and fried dumplings.

“Myungsoo-ah,” Hyunae said, making him lifted his head. “About Jackson and Youngji…”

Myungsoo remembered what happened yesterday. That the drunk Jackson admitted he liked Youngji and that Hyunae accidentally heard it.

“Eo.. why?”

“Should we help them?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter