The Dark Past, The Cruel Path

A Living Dead
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The blue sky darkens as the hour growing late. The traffic grew busier as the working hour ended. Droplets of water falling from the skies, marking the rain season have finally begun.

Myungsoo who is at lost of himself walked down the streets, ignoring his clothes getting wetter each seconds. He looked up at the sky, asking God why he has to walk down such a cruel fate. But seconds after, he threw his head down. Laughing at himself for being such an idiot to try to talk to God.

He walked in to a karaoke place. Trying to let his stress out by getting drunk and shout as much as he wants without disturbing anyone.

Sungkyu showed himself, sitting quietly beside Myungsoo who is gulping down a bottle of soju like a llama. Sungkyu sighed and pulled the soju out of Myungsoo’s mouth.

“Hey, what’s wrong?” Sungkyu asked him worriedly. Myungsoo chuckled. He laughed but he sounded sad. Something was not right.

“Did you know…” he paused. “I thought I was born mute, but I wasn’t.... I lost my voice when I was young.”

Sungkyu looked at him attentively. Trying to read his mind.

“There was an accident when I injured my brain. And Hyunae was there.”

“What…?” Sungkyu was at lost of words. He didn’t know that Myungsoo and Hyunae have known each other for so long.

Myungsoo looked down clenching his teeth –holding himself as much as he can from crying. His hands were shaking.

Something terrible has happened in the past, and he regained his memory about them.

Sungkyu pat his back, trying to calm him down. “Do you want to talk it out...?” He hesitantly asked. Seeing how he acted, it may not be something easy for him to share. It may be hard for him to bring it up.

Sungkyu sat quietly while Myungsoo drown himself to drink and half singing the song. Somehow Sungkyu pity him. What could have happened to him? What could possibly shake his mind so bad that he acted this way?

Sungkyu finally stood up. He once again took away the soju, which happened to be his third bottle from Myungsoo. “It’s enough. You’re drunk.”

Myungsoo shook his head. “I’m not dru-“ He said before he stumbled forward and fell to Sungkyu’s arms. His tears started to fell down his face. “How can God be so cruel?” He sobbed. “WHAT DID I DO WRONG?!” he shouted desperately. “Why does it have to be me….”

 “You have to go home.” Sungkyu said, but Myungsoo lost his consciousness second after. Sungkyu sighed. He took a deep breath, and teleported Myungsoo to his room. He wasn’t supposed to do that. But he left him with no other choice. It’s not like he can leave him alone in that karaoke room.

 

 

The next morning…

Myungsoo opened his eyes upon hearing the knocking sound from his door.

“Myungsoo-ah, you awake?” Hyunae was talking behind the door. “I cooked breakfast. Come out and have some.”

Myungsoo felt terribly dizzy. He didn’t even remember how much he drank last night. “Yeah, will be out in a minute,” he said.

He washed his face and combed his hair. He still looked terribly messy, but it’s not like he could do much about it.

He went out his room. “Morning,” he greeted. “I’m sorry I drank a lot yesterday.”

Hyunae noticed a strong alcohol smell out of his body, and that explained it. “Did something happen?”

He nodded weakly and pulled a chair.

“Is it bad?”

“I’ll talk about it later,” he said.

Hyunae scooped out rice onto his bowl. The fact that he drank alcohol means that it’s hard for him. Maybe she should never ask about it. Unless he himself brings it up.

Hyunae went out right after breakfast finished. Leaving Myungsoo alone in the house.

“You okay?” Sungkyu came out.

Myungsoo nodded. “Sorry. I troubled you last night.”

“Don’t mention it.”

Myungsoo carried the dirty dishes to the sink. Apparently he volunteered to do the dishes, worried that Hyunae might be late for class.

“I remembered everything,” he said before Sungkyu asked. “Hyunae and I were on a same daycare when we were kids. And there was a fire.” He paused. “When we tried to go out, a plank of wood fell and somehow I protected her. It hit my head, and soon everything tumbles down upon us. The next thing I remembered was I woke up in a hospital a few days later, and I lost my voice. Apparently I injured my Carnial Nerves when that wood hit me. T

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter