New Home

A Living Dead
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was Monday evening, Youngji and Hyunae sat in the usual café near their university, enjoying their frozen yoghurt.

“Tell me,” Youngji started the conversation. “What happened yesterday?”

“Myungsoo showed up,” Hyunae shoved another spoon of yoghurt in . “..in front of my house,” she continued. “He apologized and he said he will be leaving soon. He was gone because he doesn’t have the courage to have me, given that he has a limited time here.”

“Leaving? Where? Why? When?”

Hyunae shook her head. “He didn’t say. That’s why I’m planning to stay with him, until he left. Trying to spend our best time together.”

“Are you crazy? You know you’re going to get hurt when he left! The closer you get, the harder it will be to let him go.”

Hyunae dropped her head. “I know,” she said weakly. “But I need to take the risk. I have feeling for him, you know that.”

“But…”

“Even if it’s only a month, of a week, I want to spend my time with him.”

Youngji sighed. She took another spoon of yoghurt and put it in . As long as she remembered, Hyunae’s love story never ended well. Seems like the fairy tale happy ending is not for her yet. She had seen the ending part, yet she didn’t want to change it and always choose to take it head on.

Just like when they were in high school. Hyunae had crush on her sunbae. A man named Hyungjoon. She was well aware that Hyungjoon liked another girl –in fact, it was one of their classmates. Hyunae knew from the start that his love was never for her. She ended up helping both of them to be together, saying she would be happy when she saw Hyungjoon happy. But when he did, Hyunae was left alone in despair, and pain. She locked herself, crying, and hurting.

“Are you sure you’re going to be okay?”

Hyunae smiled. “I can’t promise you that.” She paused. “Should we call Jackson?”

Jackson joined them right after he finished his class. “What are you two talking about?” He pulled the chair beside Youngji and sat down.

“Hyunae has something to tell you,” Youngji took a spoonful of yoghurt and naturally fed it to Jackson. “You need to listen, and please don’t be shock.”

Jackson nodded, while enjoying the cold yoghurt melting in his mouth.

“Yesterday night, Myungsoo showed up,” Hyunae started. “And he was sorry, to go without telling me. And he will be leaving soon, so we decided to…” she paused. It’s about the . After she finished it, the yoghurt inside his mouth could burst out and splat to her entire face. “…stay together,” she finally said –shut her eyes tightly, preparing for the worst.

One second… two second… nothing. There was no shouting, no flying yoghurt, or even a word. It was only a deep sigh from Jackson. “Are you sure you want this?”

Both Hyunae and Youngji looked at him in disbelief. It wasn’t Jackson they knew. Jackson normally gave a loud and spontaneous reaction.

“Jackson-ah, are you okay?” Youngji put her spoon down and reached his forehead. “Are you sick somewhere?”

Jackson smirked. “No, I’m okay. For this matter, I’m sure she already thought about it,” he turned to Hyunae. “You will get hurt, though.”

“I know,” Hyunae answered.

“Ya, you won’t stop her?” Youngji wished she –or at least Jackson- could stop Hyunae from this. She would never want to see Hyunae hurt again. Whenever she was hurt, she felt her pain as well. They had spent most of their life together, after all.

Jackson shook his head. “I knew that feeling. The feeling that you want to spend every second together with a certain person.”

Both Hyunae and Youngji looked at him. His gaze was sad. Jackson was never like this before. He was cheerful, and fun. Never before he showed this side of him.

“It was my mother. She had a cancer and passed away. I’m sure you can relate.”

“I never knew…”

“Because I never tell. Anyway it was a long time ago,” he smiled. “The thing is… you sure you will be safe, right?”

Hyunae nodded. “If you’re talking about

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter