The Ahjumma

Tangled

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Unnie!”

I turned to see Seohyun sort of running at me and smiled. She was so cute!

“Seohyun-ah~! It’s so good to see you.” She whined as I wrapped my arms around her for a quick hug.

“I know~, I’ve missed you unnie… was there much traffic? I just got here five-ish minutes ago.” I shook my head.

“Nope, that’s probably why we got here so quick,” I laughed.

Seoul was pretty crazy to drive in sometimes.

“Ahh~ well good. Should we go in? I can’t wait to try one of the smoothies,” she grinned. “I've been craving something fruity all morning.” I nodded.

While I was definitely excited to catch up with my old friend, I think I might be even more excited to see if my favorite Orange Caramel Cafe employee was working today… Sorry Seobaby~!

I know according to Jessica’s little three day rule this was probably cheating, but I decided that if I do happen to see Taeyeon today I’ll just start the three day time limit over again… that is if she decides to talk to me in the first place. I guess I really couldn't restart the three day rule if we don’t talk; there would be nothing to reset!

She will talk to me though, right?

UGH, why was getting a smoothie so stressful?

We started walking toward the cafe and-

“Oh? Sunny unnie isn't coming with us,” Seohyun asked. I hummed.

“Nope. She said she had phone calls to make and that she didn’t want to bother us,” I repeated back as an almost exact quote. Seohyun looked confused.

“But she wouldn't bother us at all?”

“I know,” I said exhaustedly . “I told her that like twenty times but she just told me to go on and bring her back a strawberry tea.” Seohyun laughed.

“That sounds like the Sunny I remember.” I nodded.

It sure did.

Sunny was my best friend way before she became my manager and even then she was always ‘business before pleasure’. Seriously; she even passed up a BoA concert once just so she could finish a report for school… that wasn't due for another week…

She was hardcore.

“This is nice,” Seohyun said as she wrapped an arm around mine. “Finally being able to meet up again… Ugh we really need to do this more often.” I hummed.

“It is,” I agreed as we got closer to the cafe. “And we do; I’m excited to hear all about New York,” I added... and then I had a sudden realization.

I don't think I was nervous or stressed out about potentially seeing Taeyeon here today, I was excited! I was excited to see her in person, excited to hear her voice again, heck; I was excited about the conversation that we may or may not even have!

A jolt of electricity went straight through me, energizing me enough to pick up my pace just that much more.

I know Jessica was only trying to help, and I appreciate her concern but what does it matter if Taeyeon contacts me within three days or thirteen days?! Thinking about just how long it’s been since I've talked to Seohyun or even texted her was more than enough proof that three days meant nothing.

It might make more sense to use that rule if I was already dating the person but I’m not even friends with this girl… YET.

I needed to go in there and fight for what I wanted…er, okay so that sounds a little extra now that I think about it, but still! I made a quick decision to go ahead and listen to Jessica’s original advice of ‘go for it’ and opened the door for us to walk through.

Fighting, I told myself with a quick nod.

Until she gives me a fair chance I won't give up.

 

_________________________________________

 

 

As soon as Taeyeon’s pretty friend greeted Seohyun and I and showed us a table that was more toward the back, the lion in me that was ready to pounce turned right back into the little mouse that it was before.

Ugh, seeing Yoona just made it so real though and now I don’t know if I was ready or not! What was I even supposed to do?!

“Di-did you two need a few minutes to look at the menu or do you already know what you want?”

Oh goodness.

“No I have no idea,” I replied. Seohyun shook her head.

“I know I want a smoothie, but I’m just not sure which,” she smiled. “It’s my first time coming here.”

“Ah,” Yoona said as she perked up a little. “Well there are a lot of options on page two or we can just make one with whatever you want in it. It’s really up to you.” She smiled. “I’ll give you two a few minutes though. My name is Yoona and if you need anything just let me or any of the other staff know,” she said with another grin before walking off.

Seohyun started looking through the menu while I did my best to sneakily look around the room.

It didn't take long for Yoona to come back by with two glasses of water nor for my hopes to go right down the drain.

Was Taeyeon not here today… or did she just not want to see me?

It would be weird to ask, right?

I've been trying to keep an eye out for her but the only employees that I’ve seen so far were Yoona and two other girls with dark hair behind the counter, neither of which were Taeyeon. I sighed. This was a bust... but not the end, I told myself firmly. Since I gave up Jessica’s three day rule I would just have to come back another day and try again!

“Unnie do you know what you want,” Seohyun asked. I hummed. I made my mind up when Yoona came back the first time but since Seohyun wasn’t ready yet, I waited. I watched her wave Yoona down before saying, “I think we’re ready to order now.” Yoona came up to the side of the table again and I scurried to find the drink that I wanted.

Crap, where was it again? This list is so lo-

“Okay, what can we get started for you,” Yoona said… but that didn't sound like Yoona?

Hold up.

I looked up at the waitress standing at our table and I felt like I had just seen a ghost.

Taeyeon.

Oh my-.

It was her! She- She was- she is- SO attractive.

I had to look away because I think I started to blush, oh my gosh. Was Seohyun seriously not affected by her?

Her messy ponytail looked like a stylist had meant for it to look like that and her tiny grin was just a reminder of how charming her actual smile was... ugh.

Kim Taeyeon what have you done to me?

“And you,” she said as her eyes locked on mine.

Wait a minute.

Did Seohyun already order? I swear I didn't hear her at all. I-

“Unnie,” I heard Seohyun say, snapping me right back into reality.

Oh my- Right!

“Right,” I repeated aloud. “I want the Strawberry Sunrise in medium.” Taeyeon nodded as she scribbled my order down on her little notebook.

“Okay good choices,” she smiled. “I’ll go put those in and we’ll have them out to you in just a couple minutes.”

Seohyun thanked her but before I could say anything, she had already walked away. Aish!

Why was I acting like this? I wasn’t twelve years old with a schoolyard crush anymore brain, c’mon! I couldn't keep acting like this. I was starting to annoy myself.

Now that she left though I finally had a chance to pull myself together and focus on the real reason I came here today; seeing Taeyeon was just a plus… a major plus but whatever!

This date was all for Seohyun, but where do I even begin?

Oh!

“How was America,” I asked curiously. I knew she had been there countless times before, but it always intrigued me to know how non-Americans thought of it.

“New York was amazing unnie, I think I’m starting to like it more than LA too.” I gasped.

“How dare you,” I overdramatically teased. She laughed.

Seohyun then started telling me about her time in NYC and I was totally jealous. I missed the states I really did, but I definitely didn't miss that fifteen hour flight over there.

She told me all about the fashion show she was in over there recently too and how she almost had a major, and I mean major wardrobe malfunction.

“If I would've let go of my strap for even just a split second, oh my gosh,” she sighed. “It would've been so bad unnie.” I had to laugh. I’m sure it would have been a really terrible situation, but her reaction was just too funny. Her eyes were wide and her brows were sky high...

Aigo~ she was so precious.

I know she’s only a year younger than me but in my mind I always picture her as the small Seohyun I met years ago on my music video set. She was scared and shy and I felt a weird need to protect her, like an older sister or something… it was odd but I’m thankful for it. I might not have my Seohyun if it wasn't for that day!

We had to calm our laughing down a little bit when an ahjumma sat down at the booth right behind ours, which I still didn't understand. There were so many tables and she picks the one right beside ours?

How annoying...

It was fun to hear all these stories from the modeling world though and pretty interesting too. Of course I've done print ads and commercials, but runway modeling was a whole different ballpark. I could never do it and I really don't plan on even trying. Actually now that I think about it more I doubt I was even tall enough to try if I wanted to… oh well! Some things were just not meant to be.

I did however know one thing that was totally meant to be. I grinned as I watched her walk straight toward our table and-

“Here are your drinks,” Taeyeon said cheerfully. She sat down two straws before adding, “If you guys need anything else just let me know, my name is Taeyeon. I’ll be back in a bit to check on you, okay?” Seohyun thanked her again.

“Ah ne, thank you,” I was finally able to say. Taeyeon’s eyes met briefly with mine just as a tiny smile spread across her lips and it felt like a thousand butterflies swarmed my stomach.

Oh my...

This was completely different behaviour from the last time I saw Taeyeon in person and I was loving the change.

Last time since she was so angry with me I thought that she hated me for sure. I hated it, but seeing her now like this makes me think that she could’ve been mad for a whole different reason… like me not texting her back the whole time I was in Japan.

Whoops~!

She acted weird when I was trying to give her that gift though too… and then when I told her I liked her she- nope!

I’m not going to think about that right now. Talk about being flustered… jeesh.

I couldn't let anything else get me off my game today so I had to get my mind off that quick, especially before I start turning bright pink… again.

Ah-ha!

I asked Seohyun about the musical she just got cast in and her face lit up. Hearing her good news will definitely get my mind off that.

“Unnie, you have no idea how excited I am. I've always wanted to be in one and now I’m the lead… in ‘Mamma Mia!’ can you believe it?” I hummed.

“I can Seohyun-ah, you're amazing! I-”

“Wahhh~! Seunghee-ah~,” I heard from behind me… and all around me actually. That lady’s voice was LOUD.

Heol… and people talk about me.

Seohyun and I both quieted down as the commotion behind us continued; we didn't need any extra attention on us that’s for sure. Thankfully a minute or so later they got the hint to use their inside voices thanks to the people that kept giving them annoyed looks… according to Seohyun that is. I couldn't see them because my back was turned and I definitely didn't want to risk it. The whole neighborhood might find out I’m here if that ahjumma yelled my name too.

Ugh, I’m just glad she didn't recognize Seohyun when she walked in.

“So about the musical,” I asked when I could finally hear myself think.

“Ooh right,” Seohyun said. “I almost forgot!” She told me all about the cast and that she will start rehearsing for it next week! I was so happy for her~.

Musicals were exhausting but so worth it in the end.

She then told me that they wouldn't start actually performing for a few months but I was more than welcome to come when the show opened.

“Uh duh,” I said shortly. “You know I’ll be there Seohyun-ah.” She smiled.

Did she really think I’d miss that?

“Good. Just don't leave any bad reviews online afterward okay?” I sighed.

“Oh please, you're gonna do awesome and you know it.” She grinned.

“I’ll take your word for it unnie. I-”

And that Tiffany girl too,” I heard from behind me.

Wait a second, what?! Did I hear that right?

Seohyun stopped mid sentence looking almost as confused as I was so I’m guessing she heard it too?

Those two women weren't talking about me, Tiffany, right? I mean it’s a fairly common name in the-

Oh I saw that,” one of the ahjummas at the table behind us said. “She thinks the whole nation loves her and it’s so annoying… she can't even sing.

O-kay then, that settles that…

They were definitely talking about me.

I wanted to turn around and see what the heck was going on but I knew I couldn’t do that, so I just froze.

What in the world was happening? Where did this even come from? I thought I heard them talking about their children a few minutes ago and now this?!

“Unnie,” Seohyun said with wide eyes. “Should we-” I shook my head. I knew what she was going to say but I couldn't just get up and leave while these ladies were talking about me… especially since it was bad. Who knows what they would do…

Aigo~, where’s Sunny when I need her?!

“Everything okay over here,” a voice said out of nowhere. I looked up at the- omo. It was Taeyeon… again.

“Ye-yeah,” Seohyun said back hesitantly. “Can we get the-”

I know right,” I heard the first ahjumma reply. Seohyun stopped dead in her sentence to listen. “It used to be cute when she was younger but now she just acts so fake. Uhgck,” she sounded disgustedly. I could feel a little lump in my throat grow and I was honestly shocked.

Usually reading mean comments online doesn't have that big of an effect on me- well some have more of an effect than others thats for sure, but since I've been reading them for so long now it’s nothing new. Hearing them in person like this though was a little… surprising.

Don’t get me wrong, hate comments are the worst and some people think it’s no big deal to us or that idols are used to getting hate so it doesn’t bother them or whatever but I don't think that will ever be the case for me. How could I honestly be okay with someone telling me I at the thing I love to do most?!

It just wasn't possible, but it was something I had to get used to.

You're right,” the other ahjumma said, punching me in the stomach with yet another invisible blow. I looked down.

Taeyeon having to hear all this front and center definitely didn't help either. I was kind of embarrassed to be honest... My crush standing right there, listening to people talk bad about me?

Yeah not quite what I call a good time… What if she started to agree with them?!

I don't understand why people still like her. I-

And I don't understand why people your age still talk bad about celebrities,” Taeyeon said from beside our table.

...

WAIT A SECOND.

WHAT??!?!

Did she… did she really just say-

“Isn't that a little childish,” she asked and I could literally just hear her anger. My jaw dropped.  I didn't even need to look up to see her annoyed face, but I did and- oh my gosh. If I saw anyone looking at me like that I would seriously feel like the dumbest person alive.

“Daebak,” I heard Seohyun say under her breath and I ten thousand percent agreed.

My heart was racing.

“Excuse me,” the lady said loudly. “Who are-”

“Ah right,” Taeyeon said before taking a step closer to them. “My name is Kim Taeyeon and I’m the manager here. We have a firm no tolerance rule here so I just want you to know you need to keep it down or leave.”

Oh my god.

Seohyun’s mouth was wide open watching the whole scene and I had to force myself to stay turned around. I wanted to see their reaction to Taeyeon’s comments but if those ahjummas saw that I was sitting right here after all that I really wouldn't know what to do.

I would just have to wait for Seohyun’s reenactment of it later; I’m sure it will be spot on anyway.

The lady scoffed and you could totally tell she was flustered just by the sound of her voice as she asked for the company’s corporate number so she could talk to the boss above Taeyeon. This was… this was-

Omo, wait… it just hit me.

This was not good.

Taeyeon wouldn't get in trouble for this, would she? Like they wouldn't fire her or anything for standing up for me right? Oh my- my stomach dropped and I think I already knew the answer to that.

Employees couldn't just call out customers like that and they definitely couldn't call them names… like Taeyeon just did.

Omo, I started to panic. What do I do? Should I just it up and say something myself? I mean I have no idea what I’d say but it was probably better than-

“There’s no need for that,” another voice said. I turned briefly out of shock to see Yoona walking toward them and my brain crashed.

Now Taeyeon AND Yoona were getting fired?

Oh my gosh, I couldn't have all that be on me. I had to say something. I scooted toward the edge of the booth so I could get out and-

“My father is the CEO and he would agree with his employee on this one. We take bullying and hate crimes very seriously here so you’re lucky she didn't immediately kick you out.”

‘Heol’, was the only thing that came to mind...

Who needs to watch dramas on TV when the scene playing out right in front of my ey-well ears was way better than a drama could ever be?! There was even a surprise chaebol in the mix!

This was unreal...

The ahjummas mumbled and groaned about something I couldn't really hear before they finally got up and left. My mind was spinning.

I think I needed someone to pinch me.

“What were they saying Taeng,” Yoona asked Taeyeon after she got back from walking them out. I watched her shrug.

“Something about never coming back here and that they’d tell all their friends, I don't know. Nothing that I cared about.” Yoona chuckled.

“Psht, what? Like all three of them,” she joked. I grinned. That was pretty funny. “Stupid ahjumma…Omo! Are you guys okay though,” she asked Seohyun and I. I nodded.

“Yeah we are really sorry this happened,” Taeyeon said like it was her fault. “We should have stopped it earlier.” I shook my head.

I was surprised no doubt, but I don't know if I was more surprised that these random middle aged women would talk about me at a cafe like this or just surprised by the fact Taeyeon stood up for me like she did in front of the whole cafe.

Oh my gosh. I think it was finally sinking in.

Taeyeon seriously just yelled at those women for talking bad about me… ME. Like- I’m blown away.

Ten minutes ago I didn’t know if she’d ever say another word to me in my life and now I- ugh. Now I really just wanted to jump up and hug her!

Scratch that.

I wanted to ki-

“And I on behalf of Orange Caramel Cafe want to apologize too,” Yoona said, interrupting my very, very pleasant thoughts. “I know its not coming from the CEO but when he hears of the situation I’m sure he’ll-”

“It’s okay,” I said. “Neither of you should apologize, seriously. They’re the ones who said… those things. You two stood up for me and I really appreciate that. I’ll never go to Starbucks again,” I laughed.

“Assa,” Yoona cheered. “My dad will really love to hear that.” Taeyeon laughed and my smile was hard to hide.

Why couldn't this Taeyeon be the one I met in the bathroom a couple weeks ago? It was seriously like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde right now. I-

“Well then,” Taeyeon said flatly, and before I could say anything back she had already bowed toward us and started walking right back toward the front of the cafe.

What the- That’s it?

“We should probably go too unnie.”

Wait-

“Huh,” I said aloud. “What? Why?” She looked at me like I was dumb.

Why is everyone leaving?!

“I don’t want to be here if they come back with friends and you definitely shouldn't be here either.”

Oh… I nodded. That made sense.

Yoona agreed with her and I knew they were probably right… but I wanted to stay here and try to talk to Taeyeon some more, even though she totally left me hanging. Ugh. I’m sure she was just busy being a manager and all though… or at least that’s what I said to talk myself into leaving.

This day had already ended up to be a hundred times better than I originally thought it would so I didn’t want to press my luck any farther.

I’ll have to just try talking to her more next time… and there will definitely be a next time.

_______________________________________________________

 

 

 

WAH! I hope this chapter didn’t disappoint!

It still surprises me to know that you all haven't forgotten about me though and continue to read/comment/subscribe!<3
 

I can't thank you guys enough!

If you have any questions/comments/concerns don't be afraid to let me know no matter what it is!

I’ll totally respond to everyone!
<333333333333333