The Confession... kinda

Tangled

 

 

 

“Oh my god, let me see,” Sooyoung practically begged as soon as I told her who it was from.

I still couldn’t believe it either.

’Already on my way to the café, winky face,’” she exclaimed as she read the text aloud. “’See you soon!’”  

Tiffany Hwang doesn’t reply to my texts all damn week but now responds to this one almost as soon as I sent it? What kind of game was she trying to play here?

“Oh my god,” Sooyoung said again. “You… She… since when are you two close enough to send emojis?!”

“A winky emoji on top of that Kim Taeyeon,” Yoona teased. “You two aren’t secretly dating are you?”

“I- What,” I said in disbelief. She had to be kidding right? “We’re not dating and I have no idea why she sent that. It’s the first time she’s responded all week.” Yoona laughed, but Sooyoung was still in awe.

“Yah, I’m just kidding Taeng, no need to get so moody,” Yoong nudged. I sighed.

I wouldn’t say I was being moody… I was more so annoyed than anything else.

I’ve been texting her all week about whether or not I was going to be thrown to the wolves that are her fans because I was revealed to the public as her girlfriend, but I got nothing.

Then I send her one measly text over a sweatshirt and she replies instantly? UGH.

“Whatever,” I said before taking my phone from Sooyoung. “Go take that lady’s order. She just sat down at table 8.”

“Yah,” she groaned. “I’m not even clocked in yet!” I shrugged.

I didn't care nor did I have the brain capacity to think about it right now for my brain was using everything it had to think about the text I had just received.

First of all, how did she even know I was at the cafe?! I mean I know I work all the time but there’s no way she could've possibly known that, right?

Ugh, I guess it was way better than showing up at my house instead… maybe I should be thankfu- no. Thankful definitely wasn't the right word to describe this situation. I could've used that word a week ago if she would've responded to my text within a reasonable time, but miss pop star had to leave me freaking out for a whole freaking week instead.

Thankful was totally wrong.

“Taeyeon-ah,” my manager called from the doorway.

“Ne,” I replied instantly… something Tiffany Hwang was clearly unfamiliar with.

“Do you want to help me inventory the stock room? I have to send the order out by three and you need to learn how to do it anyway,” she laughed.

Ahh~ now that was something I could be thankful for.

Not only was I training for the new manager position I started next week, but now I could take my mind completely off of this stupid text and concentrate on something else.

It worked pretty well too.

Two. Four. Six. Eight. Ten. Eleven, I counted in my head. I typed ‘eleven’ in to the tablet like Jungah had shown me and scrolled down to see what I needed to count next.

Hot cups, got it.

I found where we kept all the different sizes of hot cups in the room and swiftly started my count. Since it was by stack it made it SO easy. I think I would actually go crazy if I had to count every single cup we had in this place.

We’d definitely miss that 3PM deadline...

Small; done. Medium we have… uh one, no. Four boxes plus six loose sleeves so that’s… four times-

“KIM TAEYEON,” Jungah said loudly from beside me. OW… what the-

“Huh?” Why was she yelling? I’m literally two feet away from her...

“Did you not hear them calling you?” I shook my head.

“Who was calling me?” I had no idea. Jungah laughed.

“Aigo~, Sooyoung called for you like three times kid. You better go out there and see what they need.” I nodded. “Let me know if you guys need anymore help, I’ll just keep counting.”

“Ne~,” I said before speedily heading to the front of the cafe.

I figured a rush of people came in all at once and they needed an extra set of hands, but when I walked out only to see two people in line and only about a quarter of our tables with people sitting at them I was confused.

What the hell did they need help with?

“Uhm,” I said as Yoona gave the ahjussi his receipt. “What did you-“

“Oh,” she practically jumped. “Since we’re pretty busy here can you take the person sitting at the bar’s order?” I turned my head to look for where they even were, and whe- “Okay, thank you so much,” Yoona said as she pushed me from behind.

What the-

They weren’t even that busy though! I turned around to silently curse that stupid alligator but she was already taking the next person in line’s order.

Aish… maybe they were busier than they seemed? Oh well! One or two orders won’t kill me.

I walked toward the lady sitting at the bar and sighed. Alright Taeyeon, I started my mental pep talk.

Fun, fast, and friendly.

The Orange Caramel Cafe way.

“Hi,” I greeted the woman who was still digging in her purse. “Welcome to the Orange Caramel Cafe, what can I get started for-” Oh god. “Y-you today,” I asked finally, after bringing my focus back.

NOW I understood why they needed me to come help.

I don’t know how I didn't notice when I was walking over here, but the customer that I had the honor of serving today was Tiffany freaking Hwang.

Just great... I was really hoping she wouldn’t show up, but then I guess I wouldn't get my hoodie back either.

Damnit!

She looked up mid-spiel, totally catching me off guard too… ugh. That stupid eye smile of hers surely didn’t help either.

“Hi~,” she greeted back. “Long time no see, huh?”

I don’t know if it was that perfect smile, or just the nonchalance in which she said that, but it made me instantly fired up again.

She didn’t text me for a whole week when my life was potentially on the line and now she’s trying joke or whatever with me?

Oh my- No. Stop Kim Taeyeon, you need to be professional here, I told myself. You can talk to her later.

Right.

“Ne, did you need a few minutes to look over the menu?”

I crossed my fingers.

“Ani,” she said with another stupid grin. “What do you recommend?”

Well for starters I recommend giving me my hoodie back and never coming back to this cafe... but I knew I couldn't possibly say that aloud.

If anyone overheard me I would be in big trouble… with multiple parties.

Wishful thinking… but I needed to act like the manager that I was going to be next week so I had to stay fully composed and actually respond appropriately… for now.

“Mmm do you like fruity drinks or like sweet ones?”

“Both.”

I swear to- UGH!

I had to take a deep breath.

Chill Taeyeon. Just think.

Okay. She finally decided on one of the few drinks I suggested a minute or two later and I couldn't be happier to get out of there.

“I’m literally going to kill you guys one day,” I said as I moved closer to Sooyoung and Yoona. I heard them laugh. “I’m serious…a heads up would've been nice. Your princess wants a small strawberries and cream, okay?”

“Yes ma'am,” Sooyoung said. “I’ll get right on it.”

“Don’t rush, I need to talk to her first.”

_______________________________________________

 

 

I waited until the last girl left the restroom and quickly put the ‘Closed for Cleaning’ sign up on the door so no one else would try to come in.

My phone says that she read my text a minute ago so she should be in here any second now and boy I couldn't wait.

I just wanted to get my sweatshirt back and forget that this all happened… and I guess making sure I won’t ever be revealed as Tiffany’s girlfriend would be nice too. The ‘childhood friend’ article that was released was enough of a connection for me and I wasn't even named!

I only had to wait about thirty more seconds for the door to open again and like clockwork Tiffany Hwang was in the bathroom with me like she was a week ago when all this madness started.

She locked the door behind her and then turned back to face me. I took a deep breath.

I had so many things I wanted to say and ask but I really had no idea where to begin. Should I- Aish! Let’s just go for the obvious!

“Wh-”

“I know what you’re going to say, and I’m sorry,” she said before I could even get a word out. “I didn’t reply to any of your texts because I didn't even get them until I got back to Korea. I’ve been in Japan for the past week and I haven't been able to text anyone… Speaking of, do you have like LINE or Kakao or anything? That’s the only way I was able to-”

“I’ve been freaking out this whole week because I didn’t know if I was about to get outed to the whole world as your girlfriend or not and you’re asking me for my Kakao ID? That’s rich,” I laughed.

Oh my- It’s nice to see the real side of Tiffany Hwang… She sighed.

“I said I would text you if we heard anything or if anything crazy was going to happen Taeyeon and I didn’t break my promise, did I?”

“Well…,” I said as I thought about it a little more… but I came up blank.

Crap, she didn’t break it did she? I mean nothing happened for her to text me and warn me about, but still! What if something did? She’d have no way of telling me! She was in freaking Japan!

“I mean no I guess not,” I replied finally. “But still y-!”

“Exactly,” she said, cutting me off. Ugh. “Nothing happened and ever since we said you were my childhood friend people kind of gave up. I think everyone believed it… or just believe in Jessica and I’s rumors more, but whatever. You were safe like the whole time and I even told you not to worry before I left didn’t I?” Her brows were furrowed and wait just a second now...

Was she getting mad at me?

I knew she had a point and everything and she did in fact tell me not to worry… but who the hell ends a sentence with ‘for now’?! That was so misleading!

“Y-you could've said that, or like told me you were leaving or something…,” I trailed off.

Gah, why was she making me feel like I was in the wrong now?

“I thought you were ignoring me because something bad was about to happen… I-I was scared,” I admitted for some reason.

Damnit.

“Taeyeon-ah,” she said… which was really odd to hear actually. Her voice was softer than usual too. “There was seriously no reason to get worked up like that. The rumor is pretty much dead; you really don’t have to worry anymore.”

I let out a breath of relief.

Thank goodness. Strangely enough it really felt good to hear those words, especially coming from the same person that caused me all this stress to begin with.

“Well thank you,” I said. “Now all you have to do is give me back my hoodie and we’ll never have to see each other again.” I had to laugh. It even sounded funny as I was saying it.

I could just see Sooyoung’s jaw hitting the flo-

“No,” Tiffany responded shortly. It almost sounded like she was offended too…

Crap did that sound rude?!

“Oh uh, sorry? I didn’t mean for it to sound like that... but I really do want my hoodie back. It was a gift from a friend.” She nodded.

“No it’s okay,” she smiled. “But I’ll give it back next time, okay?”

What the-

“You can have this one right now instead though~,” she said cheerfully as she pulled a pink bag out of her purse and held it in front of her.

Okay now I was even more confused.

What the hell was going on? Did Tiffany get me a… no way.

Was that seriously a… a gift?! For me?

But why?!

Oh my god wait… Did she bring me a gift to make up for the fact that she won’t give my hoodie back?

No~, that couldn't be it… could it? Like… what in the world was that logic?

Just give me my damn hoodie!

“Open it!”

“I- I can’t,” I replied. Even if this was a gift to make up for her taking my hoodie, I couldn’t just accept it, right? I mean a gift from world famous Tiffany Hwang? That was totally weird!

“Just take it,” she urged. “I owe you big time for letting me stay at your house and borrow your clothes… it’s the least I could do.” I shook my head.

“I really can’t. I-uh- what the-”

Tiffany took the bag and pretty much pushed it against me before letting go of it altogether. I caught it before it hit the ground though thankfully, but only barely.

“See, now it’s yours,” she grinned. “I hope it fits, I just got the same size this sweatshirt was.”

I honestly don’t think I've ever been this confused in my life.

Why wouldn’t she just give me mine?

“But what about the one you’re wearing,” I had to ask.

“I've been wearing it all day Taeyeon. It was the only sweatshirt I could find before I left and I have to wash it before I give it back,” she said with a small smile. “So I’ll just give it to you next time.” I had to laugh now.

Was she serious?

“I can just wash it when I get home Tiffany, I’m not planning on wearing it out of here. It’s no big deal.” She sighed.

“I’m only wearing a tank top underneath, please just let me give it back to you next time.”

My mind was literally spinning.

“Why does there need to be a next time when you could just give it back to me right now,” I asked. I could feel my anger building up too. “We don’t-”

“Because I like you Taeyeon,” she said bluntly.

“What,” I asked without even realizing.

Okay, now THIS is the most confused I’ve ever been in my entire life. All that before was child’s play.

I mean… did she really just-

“I like you,” she smiled. “Or at least I think I do and I think I need to keep seeing you to make sure… so next time.” She flashed that all too famous eye-smile at me again and I really didn't know what to think.

I almost wanted to laugh. I mean pop superstar Tiffany Hwang likes me? Er... well thinks she likes me?!

Did she think I was stupid?

I-she-wha-

“How?”No wait. “I mean, why? Why on earth would you like me?” She shrugged.

That was promising…

“I don't know. I just do.” I had to chuckle, I couldn’t hold it in this time.

“And you expect me to believe that?”

I am truly blown away.

Like… I genuinely don’t understand why she said that. Was she trying to get me to drop the sweatshirt thing because if she wants it this bad she can just have it, jeesh. I’m sure Sooyoung will go back one day. I can just have her get me another-

“I know it might sound crazy-”

YUP, I said loudly in my head. Certifiable if you ask me.

I almost laughed again. Oh my...

“But I’ve not stopped thinking about you since that fan sign you and your sister came to… okay so I’ve stopped, but you’re like seriously almost always on my mind Taeyeon. I don't get it either. I- oh? Hold on.”

Uhh what?

Wait, why did I have to hold on? I almost questioned it, but when she pulled her cell phone out of her jumbo sized purse I knew the answer to my own question.

“Ah ne Sunny, I- no I know. I know… Okay,” she said before tapping her phone and sliding it back into her purse. “Ugh... I have to go, I’m going to be late for a recording.” I nodded. “I’ll text you later though, see ya!” She unlocked the door, waved, and by the time I got my thoughts together I was only able to say a quick ‘bye’ before the door shut all the way.

I just…

What the hell just happened?

 

_____________________________________________

 

I KNOW. I'M THE WORST.

 

I am so sorry for taking so long to update, I truly am.
I totally understand if you all hate me.

BUT I’m very happy and very grateful you guys didn’t forget about me though and I’m even happier that I was featured!
THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH!<3333333

I honestly had no idea this story was loved so much! WAH~
I almost didn’t believe it tbh.

I’m going to try to work on this story more often, but I won’t make any promises.
The only promise that I can make is to not give up on this story!
Don’t lose faith in me yet! <3