The Cup

Tangled

 

 

 

 

“Okay~, I’ll be right back with your order… Tiffany-ssi,” the very, very pretty blonde said cheerfully before walking away.

Heol… Taeyeon works here? With her?

Oh my gosh no wonder she doesn’t treat me like an idol; all her friends look like freaking models!

This girl, Sooyoung, Yuri, and don’t even get me started on Yoona…

I ran my fingers through my hair once more and immediately regretted walking through those doors just a few minutes ago.

Oh my, this totally was a bad idea… I didn’t even have a chance to get ready before coming here! I came straight from Taeyeon’s house with no shower, no change of clothes, no- okay, I did put a little bit of make up on in the car on the way here but still! That girl was-

“Here’s your drink… to go,” another voice said firmly and- Omo.

“Tae-Taeyeon,” I stuttered as I briefly locked eyes with her. Wait… what the heck? Why am I stuttering? “I-I-”

I couldn’t even get the next word out before she walked away, leaving me hanging and completely confused.

I just… What? I seriously didn’t understand what just happened… or I guess I should say what didn’t happen.

Why didn’t she stay and talk? Did she really not have any questions for me after this morning? Like ‘were you able to get out of my house okay’ or ‘why is there an article out about us’ for instance?

For all she knows I could have led the paparazzi straight to this café!

I didn’t of course because I’m not an idiot and the note she left was pretty flawless, but still! She wasn’t the least bit concerned even after seeing the news? Did she not see how many people looked at that thing already? I only saw the view count on one site but it was already pushing half a million. Did she-

That was when the sudden realization hit me.

Oh my gosh, did she not even see the article yet?

Omo… she must’ve not. I mean she didn’t have her phone and the only people to know what she was wearing last night were my staff and her friends. I-

Oh~ no, this was a problem… she had no idea what was going on and she didn’t let me explain anything either! She just walked by and left this- this- Wait… I didn’t even order this.

I could tell it was a hot drink by the paper cup that it was in and my drink was definitely not hot. I ordered a smoothie, there’s no way this was my- oh my gosh.

No freaking way…

I twisted the cup around just a little to see if the barista wrote what kind of a drink it was or maybe even if it had someone else’s name on it but instead of a name there were a couple of scribbled words in its place.

 

‘Bathroom 2 minutes – TY’

 

I think my heart skipped a beat.

This wasn’t a wrong order at all, this was a note!

A very, very sneakily passed note from Taeyeon!

Oh my gosh.

That means Taeyeon did want to talk to me… in a private location… in two minutes. Omo!

I needed to hurry!

 

__________________________________

 

When I reached the door I couldn’t help but smile.

First the cup and now this? Gah, this girl really thinks of everything doesn’t she?

On the door to the women’s bathroom there was a bright yellow sign that read ‘closed for cleaning.’ Now no one would even try to come in on us!

She really is a genius.

I took a deep breath to try to calm my nerves before I went in, but I don’t think it helped. Actually I think it made me more anxious. I couldn’t help it though. I was really excited!

I was excited to see her again after last night and to just talk with her in general. I had to explain a few things that Sunny told me in the car too but before all that I needed to thank her at least a million times.

We would have been royally screwed if she didn’t come up with the idea to use her neighbor’s garage.

After another deep breath and repeating the solid advice I got from Jessica last night, I decided to just ‘go for it’ and walk right in.

Taeyeon was a little surprised at first, but when she realized it was me there was a complete change. Her brows furrowed, her lips pressed together and I swear she was seconds away from shooting lasers out of her eyes.

Omo.

Okay so maybe someone walking in right about now wouldn’t be such a bad idea after all…

Her jaw clenched, her fists squeezed tight and she quickly took a few steps toward me and-

CLICK

Holy crap, I involuntarily winced. When I saw her hand moving upward I thought I was getting hit for sure, but thankfully it was just the sound of the door locking behind me… Wait… is that something to be thankful for? I-

“What the hell is this,” she finally spoke… Well, more like growled.

Help, I called internally as I turned slightly toward her. I figured I already knew what she was talking but I had to look just in case. The phone in her hand threw me off, but it also confirmed my assumptions.

Kim Taeyeon has totally seen the article.

Great…

I opened my mouth to explain, but I was quickly cut off.

“Why are you even here? Haven’t you done enough?” She chuckled dryly. “Did you lead the paparazzi here too,” she questioned angrily. “Are you trying to get caught, is that what this is?”

We were only about a foot or two apart and I was honestly kind of startled at her tone but, ugh… why can’t I focus on anything other than her lips?

They’re literally perfect.

“Ooh~ Tiffany Hwang is hanging out with a non-celebrity, she’s so~ down to earth,” Taeyeon mocked as she turned away, breaking my focus along with it. “If I’m a publicity stunt please, please go find someone else. I want nothing to do with this crap.”

Whoa whoa wait… What? A publicity stunt? Is that seriously what she thinks this is?

Oh no.

“Do you really think I wanted that article to come out any more than you did Kim Taeyeon,” I asked angrily. Gah, I was kind of offended actually.

How could she think it was a publicity stunt after all we went through trying not to get caught last night? We used the backdoor at the hospital, I hid in some grungy garage with her for almost an hour and I even stayed the night in her house all because I didn’t want either of us to get photographed by the stupid paparazzi!

I mean I’m not complaining because I thoroughly enjoyed spending time with her, but how could she possibly think that? If I wanted to get caught we would’ve got caught. It’s seriously hard to avoid getting your picture taken when everyone from age eight to eighty has a smart phone in their hand…

“Ah~ right,” she chuckled again pulling me from my thoughts. “So it was the opposite huh?”

I honestly had no idea what she was talking about now.

“What,” I asked confusedly. She smirked.

“You didn’t want the article to go out,” she asked.

Um, duh.

That’s literally what I just said.

“Yeah, I-“

“Right~, because why would the goddess Tiffany Hwang be hanging out with someone like me,” she chuckled. “Is that why you took me through all those back doors? Wah~,” she sounded without even letting me try to explain. “You even spent the night in a poor person’s house, I’m sure that’ll be a fun story to tell your friends.” She scoffed and I was at a loss for words.

My heart sank right into my stomach and I just… I honestly couldn’t believe she just said that.

Does she really think that badly of me? I mean yeah I accidently hit her in the head with a door but that was a mistake!

I actually didn’t know if I was more angry or hurt by her comments right now, but I didn’t want to stay in here and figure it out either. I had to get out of here before I said something I regretted.

I didn’t deserve to stand here and be accused and yelled at like this when all I ever did was be nice to her. I shook my head and- Ugh!

How could she seriously think that way?

I sighed.

Maybe I really should have listened to her at that fan-signing. She did say she didn’t like me at all after all… I guess I was just the idiot to think that it could change.

“That’s not what I meant Taeyeon,” I started halfheartedly. “But I’m sorry. I- never mind.”

My words got caught in my throat and I just really couldn’t believe this.

All I ever wanted to do was be her friend and- okay so maybe I really wanted to be a little more than ‘just friends’ but whatever. Both options are clearly off the table now.

How could she twist me being nice into me wanting to use her for publicity?

It just didn’t make sense.

Ugh, whatever. I turned to leave an-

“You said we wouldn’t get caught.”

I froze.

“You told me we wouldn’t get caught Tiffany. What am I supposed to do when people figure out that it’s me?”

Her voice sounded a little different now and I didn’t know why… until I turned back around that is.

The change was obvious.

The huge threatening fires burning in her eyes had been reduced to embers and her brows weren’t as pulled together as before and then- Omo.

Hold on… is she…

No way.

Was Taeyeon… scared?

Hmm well maybe she wasn’t necessarily ‘scared’, but she was definitely at least worried, right?

Oh my gosh!

That would totally explain the angriness and all the yelling too though!

Heol… maybe she didn’t really hate me then either!

I mean you can’t back a scared dog into a corner and expect it not to bite, so why would it be any different in her situation? If my picture was shown to thousands of people, and I wasn’t used to it obviously, I’d be pretty scared and angry too! I would have no idea what to expect or what to-

Omo. That reminded me; I should probably do something and quick.

“You don’t need to worry about that Taeyeon,” I speedily assured. “I promise. Sunny told me that no one even has the slightest clue who the ‘mystery woman’ is.” I smiled. My mood was already ten times better.  “Plus my company blocked the other article about us from coming out to begin with so we’re fine,” I added with another grin.

I was relieved when Sunny told me that earlier so I was hoping it helped lift her mood too.

When her eyes practically fell on the floor though I figured I probably should’ve left that bit out…

Oops.

“Wha-what do you mean ‘the other article’,” she questioned with wide eyes. I think her face got even paler than it was too if that’s even possible. “Th-there’s another one out there about us? About me?”

“No, no,” I quickly defended. “Since they didn’t have any real proof it happened my company said they would sue them if they published it,” I explained. “SM would’ve blocked this one too but they had a picture and we couldn’t say that it wasn’t me when it obviously was.”

That’s why I’m so glad she came up with her neighbor’s garage idea too. If we would’ve been captured in the car or even going into her house we both would have been done for.

I don’t think the explanation helped Taeyeon though for I could still see her shoulders swiftly rising and falling with every quickened breath.

Oh boy… Good job Tiff.

 “So they- why can’t- wait,” she hesitated. “What was the other article about?”

Yep, I definitely should’ve thought this through a little bit more.  I nervously grinned.

“It wasn’t anything serious,” I insisted. “It’s been taken care of anyway so let’s just-”

“What was it?”

Oh my... I could see the fire building back up in her eyes and sighed. I had to give in. I didn’t want her to start barking at me again.

“It was just going to be a continuation of the article that already came out,” I said truthfully.

I mean it kind of was…

“And?” Her eyebrow rose and I knew there was no other way out of this.

Damnit.

“And it might’ve said something about us spending the night together.”

“WHAT?!”

 

__________________________________

 

After she stopped freaking out and finally calmed down a little, I decided that I should probably tell her what Sunny said to me in the car too. It really wasn’t much, but since it sort of had to do with Taeyeon, I figured I better.

Actually in a few minutes she might find out on her own.

SM was going to release a statement sometime this morning that said the girl with me in the picture was a longtime childhood friend and the reason we tried to go secretly is because we were trying protect her identity… which wasn’t a complete lie.

“So-“

 “What if they find proof,” Taeyeon asked, cutting me right off. “Then could they publish it?”

Aigo~!

I guess she still wasn’t past this. I sighed.

“Well, yeah technically but-“

“Oh my god~,” she groaned again. My grin was unstoppable.

Despite it being totally uncalled for, her freaking out was pretty adorable.

“You’re seriously fine Taeyeon. Don’t worry about it,” I assured… again. She shook her head.

“How did they know you spent the night at my house though? They must know something if they can make a statement like that.” I grinned.

“They make up stuff like that about idols all the time, it’s not a big deal.”

She didn’t look very convinced… ugh.

“Seriously,” I started again. “If it weren’t for my company I’m sure there’d be a new made up article about something that I probably didn’t do every day.”

 “But-“

“You’re fine,” I said. It was my turn to cut her off now. “I promise. Nothing is going to happen. If they even had the slightest bit of proof SM would have known about it, trust me. With stories like that they have to tell the company first. It’s like a rule or something,” I added.

I actually wasn’t really sure why they had to or even if it was an actual rule, but I think it probably has to do with preventing lawsuits or something of the sorts.

Oh well, I didn’t really care either way. That rule saved my many times, this being o-

“Text me,” Taeyeon practically shouted, causing me to jump a little. Omo, that seriously startled-

Wait.

What?”

I even accidently asked it in English because I was SO caught off guard.

“If you hear anything or if they find solid proof of, well… you know.” I nodded. “I want you to text me and tell me right away.” She took a deep breath. “I need to be prepared when it comes out.”

Oh my gosh… As much as my eyes wanted to roll, they couldn’t be pulled away from hers.

She was serious, I could see it.

She wanted me to text her… She’s telling me to text her.

Omo, why is my heart beating so fast right now?

“Will you,” she asked eagerly. Her eyes were wide and her expression hopeful and I- I…

“Sure,” I responded.                                                                          

How could I possibly say no to that… and I guess a legit reason to text Taeyeon wasn’t so bad either.

“Thank you,” she exhaled. “Here let me- uh, crap,” she said while looking at the phone in her hand.

Omo! That reminds me. I reached my hand into my bag and started digging around for one of the main reasons I even came to this café in the first place.

“This is Sooyoung’s phone,” Taeyeon started.

I felt my wallet, my sunglasses and then- Ahha!

“I left mine at home but I can still give you my-my… is that my phone,” she asked while looking at my outreached hand with the most bewildered look I’ve ever seen. I nodded. “And why do you have it?”

“Uh well it was buzzing like crazy this morning and I know if I miss that many calls or texts my manager would kill me so I uh…,” I trailed off.

Omo, why is it suddenly so warm in here?

“I uh-“

“You brought it to me?” I nodded. “Seriously?”

Oh gosh, I could feel my cheeks heating up and everything.

“Yeah, I-”

“Why,” she asked incredulously, cutting me off again.

Now it was my turn to be confused… again. Didn’t I JUST explain why?

“No,” she started embarrassedly. “I didn’t mean why, I just meant like… why? Why would you bring it here? Don’t you have other things to do?” I grinned.

That still didn’t quite make sense to me but I guess I would try to answer her anyway.

“The only thing I have to do today isn’t until eight o’clock so I have plenty of time and I needed to come here to talk to you anyway since you didn’t have your phone,” I explained as I held up her very out of date iPhone. “So I thought I might as well bring it too.”

“Oh well thank you,” she nodded while taking it from me. I internally screamed as our fingers brushed and I almost didn’t even hear her next question.

Jeesh Tiffany calm yourself!

“But what did you come here to talk about? No wait ,” she paused before looking right at me. Her confused expression was back and- “How did you even find me here in the first place? I didn’t tell you where I worked in that note did I?”

Crap, I was really hoping she didn’t ask that. I shook my head.

Maybe I should have said I was busy after all…

“Then how…?” I sighed.

This wasn’t going to be good.

__________________________________

 

I am beyond sorry that it took so long to update. Please forgive me!
I could apologize on and on, but I will save us all the time and only do it once. (or twice)

I’M SORRY<3

I had a few health issues (that were taken care of kinda) and I was just super busy in general.
Trust me, if I could stay at home all day and write I would 900% do so but unfortunately I have to leave the house sometimes.

Apparently fresh air is good for you or something, I don’t know. :p

I hope this chapter was good enough for my comeback and please don’t hate me too much if it isn’t.
I shall try harder in the future!

Thank you all for reading/subscribing/commenting/voting too!
Seeing them made me want to try even harder to finish the chapter!

 

ps CAN WE TALK ABOUT TAEYEON’S MV?
I think my mouth legit hurt from smiling so much afterward.
She was amazing!

pss I’m super glad you all liked the fake article too!
I think they’re really fun to make so if you have an idea for one/I come up with a reason to make one later on there will for sure be more!