The Gift

Tangled

 

 

 

 

Just in case anyone was watching Tiffany or something I waited a minute or two before leaving the bathroom myself.

I couldn’t take the chance of being captured in a scandal again with her let alone a picture.

While I was standing there near the sink though I just couldn't stop thinking about what that stupid idol just said.

She likes me? Or well, I guess she thinks she likes me… whatever the hell that meant. I don't know. Whatever she said sounded like total bull to me. Like… that just wasn't even possible. I've literally only talked to her what, like five times? Not to mention she is a world famous celebrity and I am… well, me.

How could she possibly like me?

Okay that sounded bad but it’s not that I don’t think someone would like me or anything, I don't have that low of a confidence level, but if you’re a top star like Tiffany Hwang you could get almost anyone that you wanted… why me?

I was trying to think about why she would lie to me about it though and that was the strange part.

There was absolutely no reason.

I mean I thought before it was just an aversion tactic to get me off the subject of getting my hoodie back but this was a celebrity worth millions we’re talking about here… she could fly to Italy later today and be back by tomorrow with ten sweatshirts exactly the same. Hell, she could probably even have one of her assistants fly there for her and buy the factory that makes the sweatshirts if she wanted to right now.

I highly doubt it was about the hoodie.

I guess there was the whole ‘I’ll give it to you next time’ thing she was awfully adamant about too, and I hate to admit but she has been pretty honest with me so far… as far as I know of course. I mean she is an actress after all.

Who knows? All of what she just told me could be one huge lie too… ugh but that was another thing that bugged me! Having Sooyoung and Yoona as my best friends for so long has caused my ‘bull’ meter to become incredibly accurate and Tiffany didn’t set it off once. Not even kind of…

I mean it totally sounded like bull as she said it because it was just so ridiculous, but the more I think about it the more honest I think she was being.

I don’t know if her acting has gotten better since I accidently watched her on that drama Hyoyeon watched last year, but when she told me that she had been thinking about me ever since the fan sign it really seemed like she was telling the truth too.   

It didn't look like she was holding back a laugh or even like she was being the least bit deceitful. I tried to think back to the exact moment she said that to me and I think I even remember her seeming a little nervous… She wasn’t making eye contact the whole time like she usually does and I think she was even fidgeting around with her hands too, wasn’t she?

Oh my- Was she actually- PFFT~!

Noooo~, I said in my head. I had to laugh too. I couldn't believe I just almost talked myself into the delusion that Tiffany Hwang actually liked me.

Heol… who am I?

You’re really losing your touch there Kim Taeyeon… gah.

I checked the clock on my phone and decided that it had been more than enough time and that I could finally leave the bathroom. I took the sign down and apologized to the angry looking ahjumma waiting to use the ‘closed’ bathroom.

“Aish,” I said aloud to myself as I walked back up to the counter. “There’s no reason to look at me like that you cranky old-”

“Taeng!” I looked to the voice that cut me off and felt my anger quickly fade. “Guess what?!” Sooyoung looked excited too. Hmm…

“What,” I asked. I was kind of curious too.

“Tiffany Hwang called me by my name… My name!” Oh my-

I should have known.

“She remembers~,” Soo said in some dreamily kind of way…

Aigo, this kid... Did she really not realize?

I smirked.

Should I burst her bubble?

Sooyoung sighed like any girl would at their crush and I almost had to.

Ah~ no wonder Hyoyeon is such a brat. Maybe I really am where she learned it from…

Oh well!

I brought my hand up and pointed to her chest where her name tag sat and then walked right on by her without a word. I heard her cuss me under her breath a few times and laughed.

She was too easy sometimes. I would've said something else but I was more worried about getting stopped again with this bag in my hand. Someone was bound to notice it and the fact that I didn’t go in there with it. I’m surprised Soo didn’t notice it honestly. I needed to put it in the back with the rest of my stuff so I could hurry and get back to wo-

“Hey Tae,” Yoona greeted. She was coming out of the back room just as I was- “What’s in the bag?”

Great... well there goes that!

“Uh nothing,” I replied smoothly… kind of.

Aish!

“I need to put it ba-”

“You didn’t have that a few minutes ago though, did you? I don’t remember you-”

“Oh my gosh,” I heard Sooyoung gasp from behind me- holy crap.

When did she get so close to me?!

“Don't you dare tell me that it’s from-”

“Shut up,” I said with my teeth clenched before she actually said her name… which I know she would've.

Her eyes doubled in size and she looked like she had just seen a ghost.

“Wait a minute,” Yoona said, finally catching on. “It’s from- Daebak…”

“What is it?” I shrugged.

“I haven't opened it yet.” Sooyoung and Yoona both looked at me like I made the stupidest move of the year.

“Why not?”

“Let’s go open it,” Sooyoung said excitedly. I shrugged again, answering Yoona’s question, but then I definitely had to tell Soo no.

“Not right now Soo,” I replied. “We’re still at the cafe you know… working.” She waved her hand in the air like she didn’t care even the slightest.

“We can take a quick five minute break Taeng chill out.” I started to protest, but Sooyoung spoke again. “Hey, Raina, can you and Lizzy cover the front for a few minutes?”

Raina looked a little confused, but she nodded anyway. Damnit!

“Sure Sooyoung, just don’t leave us out here by ourselves for long.”

“Ah, ne,” she laughed before physically pushing us toward the back room. “Go, go, go, go,” Sooyoung was literally guiding us all the way into the break room, and I think it’s safe to say she might be a little more excited for this than I was.

I set the bag down on the table and took a deep breath.

Was it me or was this just a totally weird situation? Receiving a gift from a celebrity you don’t even know? Or from anyone in general for that matter… it was just so str-

“What are you doing Taeyeon,” Yoona asked. “Open it.”

“Yeah before I do,” Sooyoung warned. My eyes rolled.

“Fine.” I reached into the bag, fighting the pink tissue paper that was also inside and eventually pulled out an all black piece of cloth... What the-

I easily unfolded the cloth and-

“Just a sweatshirt,” Sooyoung asked confusedly. I nodded, but it wasn’t just any sweatshirt… In big yellow letters on the front of the hoodie it read ‘TOKYO’ and had a little Japanese flag on the sleeve.

I… did she-

“Why would Tiffany Hwang get you a hoodie?” I shrugged again.

I knew that it must be to make up for the one she clearly wasn't giving back, but why would she get me one like this? Did she somehow know I-

Taeyeon-ah,” Yoona said strangely. What was she- Omo. That didn’t come out of here did it?!

Yoona was holding up a small pink piece of folded paper and I think I knew the answer to that already… damnit! How did I miss that?!

Thank you so much for everything! P.S,” Yoona said with a smile. “I noticed you were missing Tokyo… hope it fits!”

My mind froze.

Did she- How was she- Holy crap.

I was seriously blown away. Not only did Tiffany somehow pick up on my shirts from other countries collection, but she also remembered which ones I did and didn’t have and then bought me a new one to add to it?

I just...

“She brought you a present from Japan,” Sooyoung said in disbelief. “And wrote you a handwritten card? Gah, did you save the world in your past life or something Kim Taeyeon?” Yoona hummed.

“Not just any card, but a card with like thirty seven little hearts drawn on it too.”

“No she didn’t,” Sooyoung said, taking the words right out of my mouth.

Tiffany Hwang actually drew hearts on a card?!?! FOR ME???

But why~?!?

What the hell was going on here?! Did Tiffany also hit her head or something when she ran that door into me?! I just didn’t understand.

First she tells me that she likes me and now she’s buying me gifts because she thought about me while she was on her trip to a different country?!

My mind was seriously foggy… Could Tiffany actually be telling the truth?

She didn’t actually like me... did she?

UGH, this was too much to think about right now.

After Sooyoung snatched the card from Yoona and read it over about six times I’m sure, she finally let me see it and- aish, that little liar. There were hearts on it that much was true, but only five and one was the dot over the ‘i’ in her name so that didn't even count.

Whew… That made me feel a little better. Maybe it was just a random thought gift after all. Sometimes I see stuff that Soo or Yoong would like and think about getting it… this time Tiffany just actually did.

“That is a cute sweatshirt though unnie,” Yoona said. “It’s totally you.” I nodded. Now there was something I could agree on.

“Mm it’s really fuzzy on the inside too-oh my god,” Sooyoung groaned. “It even smells like Tiffany~.”

I- wait…

Yoona and I both looked at each other and froze. I could tell we were thinking the same exact thing too, but Yoona cracked first.

“How do you know what she smells like you freak?!”

__________________________________________________________

 

 

Tiffany might’ve lied to me about liking me, but she really wasn’t lying when she told me that she would ‘text me later’.

It wasn't even an hour after she left the cafe and she had already texted me twice! I’d like to say that that was the end of it too but that would be one huge and unfortunate lie.

Tiffany Hwang has texted me for the past eight days and I was about to go insane. I think this might even be worse than her not saying anything to me for a week. Ugh!

She knows we’re not friends, right? Seriously, if this is all about that damn sweatshirt she can have it. I was literally just about to say screw it and tell her not to worry about it... oh and more importantly; LEAVE ME ALONE!

I couldn’t bring myself to be that rude though so I just let her text me. I replied normally like I would to anyone for a couple days because I was thankful to her and her company. I mean they saved my big time with the scandal and Tiffany got me a pretty nice name brand hoodie from Japan for my collection when she definitely didn’t have to… and just because I’m not a total jerk.

After that though is when I tried to lessen the contact.

I figured if I just replied with one or two word replies she would eventually give up but that didn't work either… not even kind of.

I was really hoping she’d get the hint, but what can I really expect from an idol? I clearly wasn’t working with the top of the class here...

I hated doing what I did next, but I had to. Idols were the last kind of people I wanted to be friends with so for the past two days I’ve just straight up ignored her. I know I hate when my friends ignore my texts and- Seriously. One time on our Summer break I texted them in our group chat the date, place, and exact time this movie that I wanted to go and see later that day but neither of them even replied! I don’t think they even said anything until the next day and I was so mad!

Ugh… I still think about it sometimes, BUT back to my point. I figured Tiffany would get annoyed with me or finally actually get the hint and stop texting me altogether… but of course neither of those things happened.

Just my luck.

She just kept texting me like it was no big deal. Actually I’m surprised she hasn’t texted me yet today. It was almost noon and she- Omo… Hold the phone!

Did she-Did she finally give in?!

Oh my god. No way… I was kind of getting excited now.

This was amazing~!!

I actually felt like a huge weight had finally lifted off me. Now I definitely didn't have to worry about getting caught up in a scandal nor did I have to worry about of a picture of us being taken since I won't ever see her ever a- uh oh.

I think I might have spoken too soon.

Crap.

I just felt my phone vibrate in my pocket and I was seriously, seriously hoping it was Hyoyeon texting me from my neighbors phone. My neighbor was babysitting her today since my mom and I both had to work and-

Damnit!

I definitely spoke too soon.

I opened the message from she-who-must-not-be-named that I had just received and- uh… what?

 

Text Message
From: That Person

Hey do you work today?

 

“What the,” I accidentally said aloud. Why would she want to- Oh no.

She wasn't planning on coming here again was she? Oh my- wait… but what if she wanted to finally give me my hoodie back?!

Aish! I had to reply.

 

Text Message
To: That Person

Why?

 

I waited a few seconds and like usual she replied insanely fast. I was actually curious how many words this girl could text per minute. Theres gotta be a world record title or something up for grabs… Anyway.

 

Text Message
From: That Person

No reason! I was just curious^^

 

Oh thank god, I said mentally. She wasn’t coming here.

Whew~!

Since It wasn’t about my sweatshirt either though I had to do what I had to do.

 

Text Message
To: That Person

Oh ok... I don’t work today.

 

Did I feel bad about lying?

No… not at all.

Okay, well maybe a little.

Tiffany has been nothing but nice to me so far, but I still didn’t trust her and I definitely didn’t want her showing up at the cafe again!

There has to be some weird reason behind all this that I haven’t figured out yet for sure and I don’t like it. No celebrity just befriends random non-celebrity people, it’s just not a thing people do.

This isn’t a movie or some cliche drama... things like that just don’t happen so I knew there had to be another reason. Heck even if there was no reason and she really was trying to just be my friend, she definitely picked the wrong person. Couldn't she just go find some other random person and be friends with them instead?

I’ve seen enough idols in person to last me a lifetime.

“Ugh,” I sighed… but when I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket again it quickly turned into a sad, sad groan.

WHY ME~~?

I unlocked my phone again and quickly tapped on her message.

 

Text Message
From: That Person

Aww~ and here I thought I’d get to see you again^^
Next time! <3

 

While I was momentarily distracted by the stupid little heart emoji she sent, I completely forgot what the first line said so I went back to read it again and-

“Oh no.”

That… no. That didn’t mean she was coming here, did it?

I mean she did say ‘next time’ as if there was a ‘this time’... Ohh god the realization hit me like a bus.

She really was coming here wasn't she?

Heol… I didn’t believe it. My heart started racing and it was NOT in a good way.

This girl was trying to get me caught in a scandal with her wasn't she?

____________________________________________________________________________

 

WOO~ Sorry again that it took me so long! 
Please don't hate me TT.TT

Thank you all for reading, subscribing, and commenting!
I <3 you guys!

PS.! (this is a big ps too)

I've read a few comments/messages saying that Taeyeon/Tiffany/Jessica and gang should all be older than they are and I somewhat agree. After re-reading my story multiple times it would totally make sense for me to edit a few things here and there and make it so the members (except little Hyo of course) are all a few years older. Around 22ish and in college rather than high school. BUT I also don't mind keeping them as they are at all. I just know that it bothered/stuck out to a handful of readers as weird so I wanted to ask and even poll you all on what you think. 

If you all decide that I should change the ages I will post all the changes I made in a new chapter so you don't get confused/can see them easy right away.
If you all decide to keep it the same though I will do nothing and just keep on keeping on! 

Please keep in mind that I will only be changing the story if the vote gets over 80% for the 'Yes' option.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO~ the power is in your hands! 
(or I guess clicks)

Vote away~!

 

 

 

THANK YOU!