Seven

resignation

His chest constricted in the middle of his sleep and he woke up, gasping for air, gripping the hand of a person who was sleeping peacefully next to him. That night, it was Namjoon who fell asleep beside him. And, Namjoon gathered his consciousness immediately—he was trained to be more agile ever since Jungkook’s illness started attacking at random times, they all were actually.

“What do you need, Kook-ah?” he asked gently and tried to be as calmed as possible although he himself could hear the strain of worry in his tone. “Medicine? Okay, medicine, right?” he answered his own questions when Jungkook only wheezed heavily.

Miraculously, Namjoon was able to stand up from the bed and jump over pile of limbs that he couldn’t recognize who without waking the other five to get to Jin’s bag because the eldest was always the one who kept Jungkook’s needs in case of emergency. He opened the bag forcefully, stuffs fell to the floor, until he found the purse that contained Jungkook’s medicine. He opened it, grabbed two small blue bottles that he was already familiar with—Jin introduced all five of them to which pills Jungkook had to regularly take and which pills could solve a sudden attack and how many pills they needed for this and that and they had to familiarize themselves with those things if they wanted to give Jungkook help—and took two pills out from each bottles, before jumping back to the bed where Jungkook tried to control his breath with closed eyes. Thanks to Jin, again, for always providing a glass of water next to the bed because it would take too long if Namjoon had to run downstairs for water.

Namjoon pushed his free arm under the boy’s shoulders and pulled him into sitting position, while his other hand held the pills firmly. He handed the pills to Jungkook shaky one and moved to grab the glass of water. After making sure Jungkook put them at the back of his throat, Namjoon held the glass to Jungkook’s lips, and the youngest gulped it down with greedily, washing those white medicines down his system, and a few minutes passed by with him trying to catch his breath. Namjoon never let Jungkook nor the glass go until he was sure that the panic had drawn to an end.

Jungkook smiled weakly, assuring Namjoon with energy that had not drained out of his body. “Thanks, hyung,” he whispered, voice sounded hoarse.

Namjoon sighed in relief as he put the glass back down on the bedside. He turned back to Jungkook and pulled the maknae deeper into his arms, pushing his lips to Jungkook’s crown, and just breathed.

“That was one hell of attack, huh,” Jungkook joked and Namjoon could see the smirk on his lips without facing him.

“It woke you up,” Namjoon reminded him, “first time like this, right?”

“Yeah,” Jungkook shifted slightly, repositioned his head on Namjoon’s chest, “tired, hyung,” he mumbled and the leader smiled because Jungkook sounded so innocent when he was sleepy.

“Go to sleep, Kookie. I’ll be here,” Namjoon said as he rocked Jungkook back and forth, like lulling a baby to sleep, and a few minutes later Jungkook’s breath became restful, although Namjoon didn’t stop the slow movement until another ten minutes to make sure Jungkook was in a deep sleep. He was finally sure that the maknae had succumbed to his slumber and lowered himself down so the two of them came to sleeping position with Jungkook using Namjoon’s chest as his pillow.

Taehyung was mumbling incoherently from somewhere down there—Namjoon couldn’t check because he didn’t want to make any drastic movement as not to wake Jungkook up—that made him smile. Hoseok, on the other side of the bed, turned around abruptly, pushing his arm and leg over Jungkook’s body, sandwiching their baby from behind, which made Namjoon flinched, scared that Jungkook would wake up. But the singer didn’t move at all, so Namjoon laughed without sound.

Sometime, Namjoon cursed himself for the bad luck he got back in trainee days when he was appointed as the leader, because these six boys were ridiculously out of their minds. Hoseok was too loud, Yoongi was too lazy, Taehyung thought and asked about a lot of hilarious unthinkable stuffs, Jin cared too much that sometime it was suffocating, Jimin was unpredictable and timid, and Jungkook was like a closed door, a closed book, a fragile feather. But, compared to all those troubles they could give to him the whole time, Namjoon would never change their smiles, their entangled hands together, they way they looked at him with so much trust, the pranks that got him mad and laugh at the same time, and the warm feeling he got for shielding them under his arms, for anything in this world.

He thought, one day, when they had to loose against their hoobaes, it would be okay, they would survive, as long as they had each other. Nothing in this world meant to last forever.

He tightened his grip around Jungkook.


“Why are they hugging in their sleep?” he heard a faint whisper that sounded exactly like Taehyung, but he could not care less. Instead, he shifted to be face to face with Jungkook’s back.

“Shut up,” he growled without opening his eyes.

“Why is Jungkook’s medicine purse opened? Who played with this?” Jin nagged, throwing accusations to Jimin and Taehyung who stared wide eyes.

“You know we would never play around with that!” Taehyung shook his head, while Jimin nodded his agreement to his friend’s statement.

“Then, who?” Yoongi asked lazily.

“Was me,” Namjoon mumbled, staying still for a few seconds, before finally opening his eyes and moving to lay on his back with a numb left arm spread out next to him and was locked under Jungkook. Jungkook had turned around on his sleep.

“What happened?” Jin demanded softly.

“He had an attack last night in the middle of his sleep,” Namjoon answered and he heard a simultaneous gasp, “please, don’t talk about it with him. He hates worrying you guys.”

Jin suddenly felt weak, so he dropped down onto the couch next to Yoongi.

Hoseok came out of the bathroom, looking fresh from shower, only to be shot down by Yoongi’s glare. “How did you stay asleep when Jungkook had an attack right next to you?”

“Jungkook had an attack?” Hoseok whispered in shock, didn’t want to wake the maknae up.

“No, it wasn’t his fault,” Namjoon defended his same-age friend, “Jungkook wouldn’t want to wake anyone up if it wasn’t bad enough. You know him. He hates attention. The more you give him, the more he feels bad about himself. Beside, I could handle it quickly.”

Yoongi let out a frustrated sigh before standing up and moving to the balcony for some fresh air.

“We have to be more aware then. The attacks are more frequent and random these days,” Jin said as he looked at the two youngest members who was awake and still in shock at the moment, “you two spend more time with him. So, don’t take it lightly, okay?”

“Hyung,” Jimin pouted weakly, “you’re like talking to children.”

“Of course, we know we shouldn’t take it lightly. We’re not stupid,” Taehyung side-eyed the eldest.

“Jin hyung is just worried. Don’t take it too personal,” Namjoon calmed them down.

Jin smiled apologetically at those boys. “Sorry, sorry. I know you care about him so much and I shouldn’t have doubted you.”

“Okay,” Jimin and Taehyung chorused together sadly.

Hoseok moved to climb back to the bed, next to Jungkook, and his arm softly. “Hey, brat, you wanna wake up now? Namjoon-ie needs his arm back,” he said as he glanced at the leader who smiled back in grateful.

Jungkook only stirred for a while, before coming to his full sense. He rolled away from Namjoon’s arm to Hoseok’s lap. “Sleepy,” his mumble was muffled by Hoseok’s clothes.

Hoseok chuckled. “Yes, I know, it’s okay,” he reassured the youngest because Jungkook tend to get extremely tired after his attack and needed a few hours of extra sleep to get his energy back. So, they decided to tell his mother before they all staying in the room, accompanying Jungkook until he was powerful again.

Jungkook’s mother came to check him up after they told him about the attack. She sat next to him, watching him asleep, his hair, smiling wearily.

“He should cut his hair. It’s too long,” she mentioned absent-mindedly.

Jin as the mother hen that he was nodded. “I told him the same thing, auntie. He never listened.”

Mrs. Jeon laughed, but she was crying at the same time. She didn’t say anything for a while, just keep Jungkook’s hair. The boys watched her with sad eyes, wondering how did it feel like to see your own son, the pride of your family, got weaker by days, until the day came where he would be bedridden and rely on other people, rely on the donor’s heart and lungs.

“Are the attacks often?” she asked suddenly.

The boys were startled by the question, but it was Yoongi who gathered his mind fastest. “The frequency has increased, auntie.”

“So, they are then,” she said, more like a conclusion, “and you guys have to watch him like this, sleeping it off to gather his energy back. How does it feel like?”

“Maybe not as hard as how you feel right now,” Namjoon answered this time.

She chuckled weakly. “Liar,” she said, but not in accusing kind of way, “you care about him as much as I do as his mother. He spent more time with you for the past several years than with me and his father. You love him and protect him like any brother would to their younger sibling who grew up without parents. You see him at his worst and you help him out.”

“Auntie,” Jimin who sat next to her on the floor reached out his hand to her arm and she turned to him, shaky smile on her lips.

“I couldn’t ask for a better family for him, Jimin-ah,” she said, looking up to stare at each one of them in the eyes, “you all are the best gift he could ever receive. I know you’ve been trying so hard for him and I’ll never be able to thank you for that. I just wish—“ she sobbed uncontrollably, and Taehyung crawled his way to her to calm her down and she Taehyung’s cheek lovingly, “I just wish I have more time with him, but I also can’t make him choose me over you when you have done so much for him. So, please, I beg you, please make him happy.”

She turned back to his sleeping son and leaned down to kiss his forehead while tears were still streaming down her face. “Oh, my son,” she sighed.

The wetness on his face didn’t wake him up from his deep sleep.


“Let’s go back to Seoul tomorrow and plan our concert,” Jungkook suggested.

Hoseok looked up to see Namjoon who looked back at him and thought about the same thing. Jimin was fidgeting with his fingers; the plea from that afternoon was still fresh in his memory and he was determined not to break it. Jin tried to pull his calmest and expressionless face he could muster, but deep down, he just wanted to scream. Taehyung smiled; maybe he has lost his mind, Jungkook said the moment he woke up from his slumber to a giggly Taehyung. Yoongi looked to the sky, looking for Cygnus constellation, but he was never good at looking for constellations when he thought that every stars were just the same to each other, bright and beautiful.

“Yeah, why not,” Yoongi answered.

Jungkook giggled happily and, for Yoongi, no stars were brighter and more beautiful than Jeon Jungkook happiness.


Mrs. Jeon packed the food slowly. She tried not to show her sadness at all. Instead, she whined, “Why don’t you kids just take an airplane and we can find someone to bring the truck back to Seoul?”

Jungkook smiled. He was alone with his mother in the kitchen. The other members were packing their stuffs up and putting them into the truck. “It’s fun, mom.”

“But, it’s not safe,” Mrs. Jeon nagged.

“They’ll keep me safe,” Jungkook said, making his mother to turn to him, “they’ll protect me and keep me safe.”

Mrs. Jeon sighed heavily, like the last five days of Jungkook and the boys staying in their house had taken ten years away from her life. “I know they’ll keep you safe. But, they can’t do anything if you can’t take care of yourself.”

Jungkook nodded and pulled his mother in a hug. “I’ll take care of myself. Don’t worry about me.”

“How can I not worry about you? You and your brother seem like forgetting that you still have home here in Busan,” she pouted.

“Don’t be ridiculous, mom. We’ll never forget, you know that,” he sighed, moving back and forth to calm his mother down, “I’ll come home once this finish, okay?”

Mrs. Jeon nodded in his chest. “Just listen to your hyungs, eat your food and medicine well, take care of your health, don’t get too tired or too stressed out over unimportant things, and just open up a bit, don’t get too stubborn and trouble your hyungs. I’ll try to come to Seoul as often as possible.”

Jeon Jungkook missed a mother’s rant.


I want to sleep with the wind on my face.

I want to sleep with the sound of wave as my lullaby.

I want to sleep with the warm feelings, the arms that are protecting me.

 

Hey, Busan’s sea

Under the blue sky, this sky line


Okay, guys, so this is me saying good bye to you all. LOL JUST JOKING!!

I'm going to have my mid term test next week. Well, it's going to end in Wednesday actually, but I have two exams in those three days; it'll be a bit hectic for me. So this chapter is kind of like me saying good bye for the next five days. I hope I can update it around next week and NOT a crappy chapter like this. Sorry.

ANYWAY, I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT I'VE REACHED MORE THAN 200 SUBSCRIBERS!!!! THIS IS BEYOND OF WHAT I IMAGINED BEFORE. I MEAN I STARTED THIS TO JUST SATISFY MY OWN THIRST. BUT IT TURNS OUT THAT MANY OF YOU LIKE IT.

I hope I can finisih this soon so you guys don't have to wait for this too long. 

I LOVE YOU, READERS <3

 

Again, sorry for this crappy update.

See ya!