Six

resignation

Jungkook came to his sense with a headache and a sore neck. He stirred a little bit and realized how awkward his legs were. They were weary from being folded for hours and he needed to stretch. When he opened his eyes, the first thing that came into his view was Yoongi’s face. His neck was in a much more awkward position. It seemed like he hadn’t moved since last night, just before Jungkook fell asleep.

“Ah, hyung,” Jungkook whispered guiltily. He sat up slowly so not to wake Yoongi from the movement and smiled gratefully. “You always take good care of me.”

“I do too.”

Jungkook turned around in surprise and saw Hoseok was in the same awkward position just like Yoongi, only Jimin was clinging to him like a koala. Jungkook only stared at Jimin for a while before looking at Hoseok again.

Hoseok yawned, getting that pity stare from Jungkook. “That’s what big brothers are for,” he explained quietly.

He started to untangled Jimin’s arms one by one and Jimin’s eyes opened for a while although he didn’t seem like he had come back to the real world. “Hyung needs to pee, okay? You lay down here and go back to sleep,” Hoseok said softly to Jimin and the younger only nodded once before sliding back down onto Hoseok’s chair, continuing his sleep.

Hoseok stood up, stretched a little bit, and then looked at Jungkook. He smiled. “Let’s find out if we can watch the sunrise from somewhere,” he said.

And, Jungkook followed along happily.


In the end, Jungkook and Hoseok only let themselves got lost in the wood. The wood wasn’t like a wild forest. It was only a part of Seoul that was still untouched by the big city. The government probably owned that land. So, it wasn’t really big or confusing.

“Got some cute girls checking you up in college?” Hoseok asked out of nowhere, fingers were playing with the leaves that he picked along the way while they walked without proper direction.

Jungkook snorted. With Hoseok, he had to prepare himself with unpredictable questions. Hoseok reminded him a lot like Taehyung, only a little bit more mature. Just a little though.

“Not really,” Jungkook replied casually, “more like those cute girls asked me a lot about you guys.”

“Yeah? Like what?”

“’Oh, Jungkook-shi, Hobi oppa’s dance on MAMA last night was so cool! Can you give him my letter, please?’” he mimicked those fangirls’ voices plus hands curling in front of his chest.

Hoseok laughed loudly, some birds flew away around them. “Ah, really? Yaaah, I never knew I’m that famous among college girls!”

“Hyung, you’re the bomb,” Jungkook praised him sincerely which made Hoseok laughed even more.

“Then, how come I never receive any letter from them?!”

Jungkook smiled sheepishly. “I go to college to study, okay, hyung? So, I always refused their letters and presents, and fortunately they understand.”

“Yah,” Hoseok scolded and pulled Jungkook into a headlock. The younger one squirmed in his arm, but he laughed—they laughed happily, so Hoseok let it slide this time, arms still hanging loosely on Jungkook’s shoulder.

“But, seriously, Jungkook-ah. Tell hyung, please!”

“What should I tell you?”

Hoseok giggled shyly. “Is there any girl that—“ he shrugged and pushed his lips into thin line before continuing, “you like, maybe? Or that likes you and you like her back? I mean you’re going to be 25 next year, there must be someone, right?”

“Hyung, no,” Jungkook whined and pushed Hoseok slightly, but the older tightened his grip on him.

“Ey, what are you so afraid of?”

“Em, I don’t know, maybe just you telling the other hyungs about it?”

Hoseok gasped as if he was hurt by the accusation, although he admitted that gossips were sometimes nice to talk about, especially when it came to the younger ones. He remembered talking about one of the female idols that Taehyung couldn’t stop staring at during one of their end of the year shows, and Taehyung sulked for days because of that, only letting Jimin and Jungkook around him, and the hyungs promised themselves to be more careful next time.  “The Taehyung’s incident was just for fun, okay? Plus, it was the first and the last time I couldn’t keep my mouth shut!”

“Pfft, yeah, right,” Jungkook rolled his eyes.

“Hey!”

“What about last year when Jimin hyung was making a collaboration with Lee Hi noona?”

“Okay, that was the last time, I promise!” Hoseok said, jumping expectantly next to Jungkook, “Ah, please, please, please!! Hyung won’t say anything to anyone, Jungkook-ah! Please, tell me,” Hoseok was practically begging with a little bonus of his aegyo and Jungkook wondered how his hyung never changed after all these years.

Jungkook sighed and finally gave in. He wouldn’t tell who the girl was. Just a little information wouldn’t hurt. “There was this girl in high school—“

“Ooh, high school’s crush,” Hoseok gave an unnecessary comment and Jungkook glared, “and, you know what? I’ll just shut up now.”

Jungkook almost face-palmed himself and wondered to God, how could this hyung be so much more childish than him. But, he continued once he made sure Hoseok had behaved. “I knew her since the first year and she was the only girl in school who didn’t treat me like an idol, you know?” Jungkook reminisced the memories in his mind, “One time before our vocal class, she was early and she started singing. It was really beautiful, hyung. She told me she liked to sing ballad. I never contacted her since graduation. The last time I saw here was during last year’s MAMA. She was featured in 2NE1’s song.”

“Ah, that girl? I remember her! She had a really nice voice,” Hoseok commented again, only this time the older one seemed into Jungkook’s story and thankfully had stopped acting like a little boy asking for an ice cream.

Jungkook nodded. “Yes. Her. She told me she’ll be debuting this year and wanted me to wait her up because I’ll see her more during music shows and I have to treat her well.”

Hoseok smiled. “That’s very nice, kiddo.”

“I know,” Jungkook smiled, “we were paired up during dance class in first year and she was so very awkward,” he laughed, “I had to take extra hours after school to help her out. That’s how we both got close.”

“Ah, first love is always so refreshing for an old man like me,” Jungkook rolled his eyes and elbowed him on the side, Hoseok just laughed, “you should call her. See if she’s still interested in seeing you. I’m pretty sure she is though,” he suggested.

Jungkook shook his head. “I told you, I never contact her after graduation. I don’t have her number. I was so surprised when she showed up at MAMA and suddenly approached me.”

“She approached you first?” At that, Jungkook nodded shyly. “You’ll never find yourself a girlfriend with that attitude.”

“Hyung!” Jungkook pushed him away, this time with a lot more power until Hoseok fell on his .

“Yah, you brat!” Hoseok yelled at Jungkook and that was his cue to run.


They got back on the road a few hours later. Jin gave a prediction that they would arrive in four to five hours, but with a series of complain from the younger ones; Namjoon made it only three, without any dangerous incident, except for Taehyung jumping out of the back of the truck before the car fully stopped and had Hoseok nag at him.

“You think how many lives you have, Kim Taehyung?!” Jin scolded right away the moment he stepped on the sand. Namjoon, Yoongi, Hoseok, Jimin and Jungkook followed after the eldest, snickering, or too lazy to even deal with Taehyun in Yoongi’s case.

They lined up at the coast, leaving their shoes in the car so they could feel the cold seawater wetting their feet.

Jimin reached out for Jungkook’s hand next to him and the youngest looked at the shorter singer. Jimin looked back and smiled. “This is nice, right, Jungkook-ie?”

Jungkook nodded. “Really really really nice,” he replied, and looked back to the front, untangling his hand from Jimin and stretching out his arms, “thanks, hyungs,” he said softly. It was barely audible, but his hyungs could hear him clearly.


They went to Jungkook’s house from the beach. His parents welcomed them with warm arms. His mother gave a longer hug than how she used to, and not only to her own son but to the other boys who already felt like her own. Jungkook smiled.

“Oh, I can’t believe you went to the ocean first before coming here! I’m hurt!” she said teasingly as she wiped her tears off and somehow managed to pull all seven of them into the house. “Go to Jungkook’s room, I know it’s a bit crowded, but change your clothes first and clean up while I prepare something for you boys to eat, okay?”

“Auntie, we’re not here to bother you around,” Jin whined politely.

Namjoon nodded. “We’re even planning on staying at the hotel.”

Jungkook looked back to Namjoon. His soft smile disappeared slowly. “Really?”

Hoseok chuckled lightly. “We just thought you wanted to be with your family alone. You can show us around tomorrow or any other day.”

“But, you guys are also family,” Jungkook’s father said from the front door, he had been really quiet the moment the boys were let in.

“Yeah, of course, stay here, please? I know this house is a bit cramped and—“

“Auntie, it’s not it,” Taehyung shook his head innocently.

“Well, then, you have no other choice than to stay with us,” Jungkook concluded, a smile grew quickly on his lips and they didn’t want to take that away.

Yoongi shrugged. “Yeah, I guess we really don’t.”


That night, they slept together in Jungkook’s room; Yoongi on the couch, Hoseok, Namjoon, and Jin on the extra matrasses, while Taehyung and Jimin stayed with Jungkook on the bed. They did not stay up late, talking and joking around, because they were excited about their adventure the day after.


Somehow, Jungkook was able to slip out from being sandwiched by Jimin and Taehyung on the bed in the morning because Jimin woke up with Taehyung’s head on his shoulder, drooling all over his shirt. Jimin pushed the head aside with a soft ew which also woke Taehyung up. The two blinked slowly before realizing that Jungkook wasn’t in the room with them. Hoseok sprawled out on Namjoon’s back while the leader slept openly; legs and arms wide open. Jin was curling next to Namjoon and surprisingly, Yonggi joined them on the matrasses.

“Where’s he?” Taehyung mumbled, sitting up and scratching his neck unconsciously.

“Maybe he’s downstairs with his family,” Jimin replied. He pushed his leg slowly and got off from the bed. “I’m going to wash my face then go check him up. You wake the hyungs up.”

Taehyung nodded, but instead of standing up, he slumped back to the bed. Jimin took Hoseok’s pillow which was unattended and threw it to Taehyung. The younger one sat up again and grinned widely.

After washing his face, Jimin went down quietly. He heard soft voices coming from the kitchen. It was Jungkook and his mother. And, he swore he didn’t mean to eavesdropping, but he couldn’t help it.

“We were worried,” his mother said.

“I know,” Jungkook chuckled weakly, “I made everyone worried. Sorry.”

“Why don’t you come back here for good? Or, at least, until they find the donor. We missed you before when you were healthy, and even now with all of this happening, you’re still not coming home if it isn’t for occasion like this.”

Umma,” Jungkook whined, “you know it’s not like that. I have this one last dream, just this one last moment where I get to tell everyone what’s been happening lately. Then, I’ll come home and wait for the donor patiently. I promise,” Jungkook sighed, his breath shuddered, “I need to say good bye—“

“Jungkook,” his mother cried.

Jungkook stayed quiet for a moment, before moving to hug his mother on her seat. “You know, just in case. It’s been hard for everyone, especially for the hyungs. This isn’t just effecting me, but also them and their lives, their careers, their everything. They’re my family too. I can’t disappoint them.”

Jimin teared up at how wise Jungkook had became. He was always their baby, their youngest, their silly friend, the one who needed a strong hand to lead him all the way. When did he grow up so fast? When did he have time to think about everyone else where he was the one who was going to die?

Jimin slowly walked out of the house. The sound of waves was heard even from Jungkook’s garden. He didn’t know how long he stood there, breathing and getting his mind right again, because Jungkook was trying to stay strong for them and he had to be strong for him too.

“Hey, hyung, you’re awake.”

Jimin turned around and saw Jungkook on the porch, looking at him with a soft smile. He looked down immediately, wiping his tears and cursing himself for not hiding it better.

“Are you crying?” there was a hint of worried in Jungkook’s voice when he walked to him.

Jimin laughed. “Just missing home, Jungkook-ah,” he lied.

“Oh, you wanna go?” Jungkook asked as he stood next to him, “I mean, it’s not fair that I’m the only one who get to go home while this is also your hometown.”

Jimin looked up but he didn’t look at Jungkook, he looked anywhere but Jungkook. “Yeah, I guess.”

“Let’s go now! I’ll go with you,” Jungkook said excitedly, “come one! I miss your mother, hyung.”

“Hey, you have your own mother. Stay away from mine,” Jimin said childishly, nudging Jungkook’s side with his elbow.

Jungkook snickered. “My mother’s the best,” he said, turning around to get into the house.

Mine is the best,” Jimin replied, getting into the house himself to get ready.


Jimin rang the bell nervously. It had been a while since he came home and there was always this happy feeling on the pit of stomach whenever he stood on his porch. Jungkook jumped slightly next to him, couldn’t hide his own happiness because Mrs. Park was always the most fun to meet with, she was kind and warm, just like her own son.

“Oh, my son! You’re here!” Mrs. Park cries happily.

“Hey, mom. I’ve missed you so much,” Jimin said, hugging his mother with some tears in his eyes.

His mother let Jimin go and turned to Jungkook. She tilted her head and pulled the younger in a hug.

“Hi, Auntie Park,” Jungkook said with a smile.

Mrs. Park rubbed his back and then pulled away but never let him go. “You stay strong, okay, Jeon Jungkook? I want to see you dancing and singing with Jimin for the next fifty years. Understood?”

Jungkook was speechless at that. His heart swelled and he wanted to cry. But, he couldn’t because Jimin was sniffing next to him. No he couldn’t cry. So, he nodded firmly. “Yes, auntie.”

Mrs. Park smiled at that and pulled both Jimin and Jungkook into another hug. “I always pray the best for the both of you.”


She served them lunch and asked about life in Seoul, about their hyungs who they left unannounced back at Jungkook’s house, about hectic schedules, albums, music shows, Jungkook’s school. Jimin got quieter while Jungkook answered most of the questions. Mrs. Park realized something was up in her son’s mind, so when Jungkook excused himself to the toilet, she held Jimin’s hand.

Jimin looked up and looked at her with questioning eyes. He tried a smile but it shook.

“You can’t lie to me, Jimin-ah. Tell me what’s wrong,” she said.

Jimin shook his head. No, I’m fine, everything is fine, he wanted to say, wanted to assure his mother, but slowly he looked down to their hands and tears became unstoppable. Why was it so hard to stop crying these days?

His mother pulled his head to her chest and his hair as he broke down, sobbing, mourning. “Yah,” she scolded, her own voice shook, “you can’t cry like this, especially not when Jungkook’s around. You have to be strong,” she let him go and cupped his cheeks on her hands, had him look at her in the eyes, “you have to be a man, okay? You have to be a hyung he can rely on. Don’t cry in front of him.”

Jimin nodded his head, but he kept letting out ugly sobs. And, his mother cried with him, cried for the both of them.

“I know it’s tough,” she pulled him in her embrace to and Jimin wanted to say no, it’s not that tough, only to have his own voice betrayed him.

On the room next to them, Jungkook slid down the wall, not wanting to disturb the mother and son moment. It was all because of him. They were happy and everything was right before.


They all laid back on Jungkook’s garden that night, staring at the stars, blankets warmed them up. Jin came out with cookies he helped Jungkook’s mother to make and a pitcher of white milk. Taehyung followed him with seven glasses. When they settled down and the cookies were passed around, Jimin pouring the milk for all of them, Jungkook looked up to the stars.

“This is nice,” he sighed, closing his eyes.

“Yeah,” Hoseok said next to him. “Oh, Namjoon-ah, what constellation is that?”

Namjoon followed the constellation Hoseok pointed at. “Ah, that is Cygnus.”

Jungkook’s eyes shot up at the name of the constellation. “Cygnus,” he whispered bitterly.

“What is it about, hyung?” Taehyung perked up in excitement because Namjoon hyung is really good at this.

Namjoon looked down, helping Jin with the cookies. “Cygnus, the swan, is one of the most recognizable constellations during summer.”

“The swan?” Jimin asked, laying down next to Yoongi who had his eyes closed and breathe calmed enough, hearing Namjoon’s deep voice that almost lulled him to sleep.

“Well, he’s been identified with several magical legendary swans in Greek mythology. One of the most famous stories is when Phaethon, the son of Helios, took his father’s sun chariot to ride for a day—“

“Wait, who’s Helios again?” Hoseok asked.

“The Greek sun-god, you dimwit,” Yoongi growled because Hoseok and Taehyung tend to ruin the mood, a lot.

“Ooh, I would like to ride a chariot if my dad’s the sun-god too,” Taehyung chimed in, resulting in Yoongi hitting the kid’s head with his pillow before laying back down again.

Namjoon snorted seeing the way Hoseok and Taehyung scowled at Yoongi. “Anyway,” he tried to grab the attention back, “Phaethon couldn’t control the reins, forcing Zeus to shoot down the chariot with Phaethon in it. The guy died and his brother, Cygnus, grieved bitterly, diving into the river where Phaethon was thrown into to collect the bones, for days, so his brother could get a proper burial. The gods were touched by Cygnus’s devotion and turned him into a swan to be placed among the stars.”

No one said anything when they realized that it was a tragic story. They sank the story in, each words from Namjoon, and somehow they felt related to it.

“It was beautiful,” Yoongi was the one who broke the silence, eyes opened and watch the Cygnus constellation.

“And, stupid,” Jungkook mumbled softly.

“Why?” Taehyung asked from next to him, “His brother was devoted. Phaethon was truly loved.”

“Yeah, but Cygnus could had moved on with his life, right? Not grieving, and wasting his days. And, it’s not like it was his fault that his brother died.”

“But, swans are pretty,” Jimin said.

Taehyung nodded, pouting. “Stars are too.”

“So?” Jungkook looked up, sadness was evidenced in his eyes although he didn’t want to admit that, “He could—I don’t know, maybe, he could be a king, or get married, or actually do something with his life, rather than just be a star. Yes, stars are pretty, but they’re just a thing, they shine you around at night, but they don't shine bright enough when the sun comes out. Why would you want to be a thing when you could live as a fully human being? It’s stupid. The whole concept is stupid.”

They stay quiet, not even wanting to say anything, or to argue more with Jungkook. Nobody moved. They just tried to take in as much oxygen as possible because the air was suffocating. Nobody. Not even when Jungkook stood up and declared softly that he wanted to rest.

"Hey, Jungkook," Yoongi called and Jungkook stopped but he didn't turn around, "you forgot that the sun is a star too. They're constantly up there. We are the one who keeps moving and leaving those stars. The whole world goes on, but we all know they're there."

Still. Nobody moved even when Jungkook slammed the door.


Hey, hyungs, Yoongi hyung was right. Life goes on and the stars are there constantly.

I want you to keep going and moving. With or without me. Don't stop and stay still. Is that really too much to ask?

Don't be Cygnus. Please. Don't be Cygnus.


“Did you guys seriously sleep in the truck?” the voice of Jungkook’s father woke them up a few hours later. He stood and watched as the boys gained their consciousness and Yoongi was the first one to jump out of the truck and smiled reassuringly at the old man. “That ungrateful boy,” Mr. Jeon sighed, wrinkles from years of life suddenly seemed really visible.

“Ah, uncle,” Yoongi got into Mr. Jeon’s way before he took even more than two steps away from them, “we just thought Jungkook needed some time.”

“I don’t let my guests sleep in the car. It’s disrespectful. And you are his hyungs! How could that boy treat you like that?! I know it’s been hard on him, but this is unacceptable!” Mr. Jeon said frustrated.

“It’s okay, uncle, really. Don’t worry about it,” Yoongu assured him one more time, polite smile on his face.

Mr. Jeon nodded. “I’m really sorry for what he did. He’s a brat.”

“It’s not a new information, uncle,” Taehyung let out his signature boxy grin from the back of the truck and Mr. Jeon couldn’t help to cheer a bit up at that.

“Thank you, boys, for taking care of him,” he said gratefully, and the six of them smiled at his words.


“You let your hyungs sleep in the truck?!”

Jungkook who was helping his mother with breakfast turned around, his wide eyes softened in a second when he saw his hyungs came in after his furious father. He looked down, playing with his fingers. Mrs. Jeon turned around too next to him and looked confused.

“Did you guys have a fight or something?” she asked softly.

“Had a fight or not, it still is not right to treat our guests like this,” his father scolded.

“Uncle Jeon, Jungkook didn’t kick us out or something. There’s nothing to worry about, really,” Namjoon wanted to easy the old man’s anger with a smile.

“No,” Mr. Jeon said firmly, “I don’t care what he’s going through now, he has to get his attitude straight again!” he stated, “Do you understand that, Jeon Jungkook?”

“Yes, father,” Jungkook nodded, hands still clasped together in front of his stomach, then he looked up to his hyungs and he truly looked like a lost puppy, “sorry, hyungs, for last night.”

Hoseok shrugged. “It’s okay, Jungkook-ie! As long as you make something for us to eat!” he beamed happily.

Jungkook turned slightly and picked up a plate with some food on it. “Pancakes?”


Ugh, sorry. I'm still looking for more ideas. I hope I can come back soon enough with better chapters, okay? Thanks, loves <3

I feel like crying. I mean, 201 subscribers?????? It feels like a dream. Thank you, guys :')