The Replacement

Yuri 1/2

A man with a god-like aura held an umbrella behind her and said, “Yah! How long do you intend to get soaked under the rain?  Stand up and I’ll give you a hitch! Emo.”

 

Yuri just stared at Yunho blankly. Perhaps she didn’t expect any help at all. "Yadong, do you want to stay here the whole night?" Yunho raised his eyebrow. Yadong just blinked. Aigoo, this girl! I think I had to use a bit of force on her. He bent down on one knee and held her elbow. Yunho raised her up and almost dragged her into the car, which he left on hazard on the road side. She walked like a penguin since her roller blades were still on. He opened the passenger seat for her and pushed her inside. He sat on the other side and stepped on the gas. Yuri shivered as she took off her skates and put them on her lap. She hugged them she was as if she was a child whose about to give away her precious doll. She stared out the window, avoiding Yunho’s stare and queries. Nevertheless, Yunho can tell that it was not rainwater running down her eyes, they're tears. "Yadongsshi, don’t tell me you'd risk getting hospitalized and being laughed at just because of that. Everything is replaceable," he tried to get response from her. Yuri wiped her tears using her wet sweat shirt and breathed deeply. She turned to Yunho and glared at him. "Yah Jung Yunho!  Not everything is replaceable. Do you know that I and this friend of mine have been through a lot. I sneaked with it, I got lost with it, I have had adventures and victories with it. I was just really sad it has to retire like that. I was imagining scenarios of my skates' death like being shot as I chase after a mugger or running after a bus..." Yuri went on with her list of could-have-been deaths of her skates. Yunho intended to provoke her and he succeeded. Finally, she has gone back to her senses.

 

After Yuri's enumeration of her skating fantasy, became dead quiet. Of course, Yuri and Yunho had nothing to talk about. Yunho the radio. Keep your head down Jjiwojyeotda, sarajyeotda nae gaseume nega jugeo neoneun ije eopda"Too bad we missed your song," Yuri exclaimed awkwardly trying to start a short conversation,  in which she failed. Then there was an entertainment newsflash:

 

In the latest episode of kiss and cry, skating partners Jung Yunho and Claudia were giving an excellent performance. However, the show was cut-short due to a jump throw and mid-air spin which led to Claudia's injury.- Yuri jolted at sound of Yunho's name. She looked at him intently and she saw through his eyes disappointment. -Currently, Claudia is in the hospital for treatment and her ankle's condition is under observation. Meanwhile, Jung Yunho hasn’t given any comments yet whether he will drop out of this competition or not? If he pursues this, will there anyone else whose willing to take the challenge of skating with him?" the announcer's voice was cut off when Yuri switched off the radio.

 

“Aigoo! I wonder where this announcer graduated. Didn't they teach her? They're supposed to report news that make people happy and not upset." Yuri tried to cheer Yunho up. "Jung yunho, don’t worry about it. I’m sure you have friends who would be willing to lend you a hand on this. In fact, I am certain that all the girls in the entertainment industry would be dying to be your skating partner." she repeatedly poked Yunho's face with her point finger. And she went on, "with that face of yours, I’m confident they'd learn skating in a week just to spend time with you."

 

Yunho looked at Yuri, not knowing how to react. "Ne. Ne. Ne. I get your point already. Stop praising me or my head will get too big that it’ll explode." Yuri was relieved to finally see a curl at the corner of Yunho's lips. Yadongsshi, you really have a way with people.

 

-----

 

"Haaachooo!!!!" Yuri was not feeling well the next day. Her head pounded in pain while her eyes were swollen and watery. She hasn't got any sleep because of her colds and fever. "hyung, I will not be coming in the rehearsal today. Tell boss that I’m not feeling well. I need rest." Yuri yelled to her friends with her remaining strength. "Araso! Get well soon!" Jaewoon yelled back. She heard the door close and she laid herself. She covered her face with a pillow and gave out a sigh. Peace at last.

 

Ding dong. The doorbell rang. "Common! Give it up. Can’t you at least give me a rest?" she furiously shouted as she stomped her way to the door. She put on her slippers and opened the door, "What?" The delivery boy held his laughter. Aside from Yuri's groggy face, her hair is mess and so does her clothes. "Yah! What are you staring at? Haven’t you seen yourself in the mirror when you wake up? I bet you look like hell. What do you want?" “I - I have a delivery for Yadong. Please sign here." the man stuttered as he reached 2 boxes to Yuri. Yuri signed and slammed the door. No one would call me Yadong except for one person. Jung Yunho really knows how to pester me. I thought I’d be spared from him today but his presence is haunting me. Didn't i praise him enough last night? Waaah! Please save me.

 

She lazily walked back to her room and crossed her legs on the floor with the two boxes in front of her. She took the first box and shook it. Make sure this isn't a big joke Jung Yunho or you'll be dead. She took a pen knife and started breaking the seals on the sides of the box. She slowly opened the box, expecting the worst. Yuri's eyes widened. It's a pair of mojo, the latest model of roller skates. Without waiting for another second, she put on the skates. She lied down on her back and put up her feet. Her eyes twinkled in amazement. She dreamed of owning this pair. She sat down again and decided to take off the skates from her feet. As she placed the skates back in the box, she found a note that says "This one is way more special than the old one because this was given y none other than the hottest idol in South Korea, Jung Yunho." Yuri scoffed and rolled her eyes. "Aigoo! It seems that I got it wrong. Jung Yunho had too much of my praising last night."

 

Yuri set aside the first box and reached out for the other one. She shook it like the first one and she noticed that it's heavier than the other. She put it on her lap and opened it. She was puzzled by the item she saw in it. It's a pair of pink adjustable hard boot ice skates. The blade is pre-sharpened and highly-polished carbon steel. At the blade of one of the ice skates, the second note was stuck: “Will you skate with me?" Peculiarly, her heart hammered like never before. All the pain in her head had gone off. She held her heart to calm its beating.Jung Yunho, do you intend to give me heart attack?

 

-----

 

Thank you for subscribing lkpOpluv! Redflamer37 – sorry, what you predicted won’t happen :b Yuri will be as boyish and proud as usual. Don’t worry, she’ll try soon though.