First Date

Yuri 1/2

The last round of Kiss and Cry was more technical. Remaining pairs were assigned to a coach who will be in-charge of their choreography. "I have watched the previous videos of your performance. You two have chemistry and you're daring when it comes to trying out new things. I believe you are capable of this," Coach Kim said as he laid the sketches of their routine on ice. Yunho raised his eyebrow, "But the last time I did this, I injured my partner considering she is a professional dance skater." Coach Kim turned to Yuri, "Do you trust him?" Without thinking twice Yuri answered, "As a person no. But I do have faith on him, both on ice and on stage." She turned to Yunho and stuck out her tongue. "Yah! Don’t do your lion pose again, it turns me off!" Yunho lied. He really liked it every time Yuri goofs around during tensed moments like what they are in now. "Then, I can't see any problem. Let's begin" Coach Kim coldly commanded them.

 

For two weeks, Coach Kim perfected the duo's lighter routine like threading on ice forward and backwards. After crisscrossing the ice with tremendous speed and without bumping to the rink or onto each other, Coach Kim combined speed with axel jumps. "Yah! Is that the best the two of you can do? Skate faster and jump higher!" Yuri fell in front of Yunho causing both of them to tumble down together, for how many times they have lost count already. Coach Kim angrily stomped his way to Yuri. If he could breathe out fire, he could have done so because his nostrils grew a centimeter bigger in frustration. "Your failure is Yunho's failure. Do you want his reputation scathed?" Yuri clenched her fist and gritted her teeth. But instead of punching the coach (which she would do for hurting her pride), she kept this thought in her mind as a motivation.

 

On the third week, they started practicing the death spiral combined with a throw jump. "Yunhosshi, if you spin her too slow you won’t get to have a momentum and you couldn’t make enough spirals. If you spin her too fast, it would be difficult for both of you to stop." Yunho held Yuri’s hand and bended slowly so that Yuri could make a bigger ice coverage. Yuri’s upper body was able to hold the tension of the two kinds of death spirals asked of her. However, she had difficulty transiting from the spirals to the throw jump. She fell countless times, bumping hardcore into the ice, half-boards, and upright bars.

 

After their practice, Yunho approached Yuri and whispered, “Yadongsshi! We don’t have to follow Coach Kim. We could change the death spirals into something else. There’s nothing he could do when we ‘re on ice already.” “Bwo? Jung Yunho, I’m a professional and I’m still an SME employee. I took this challenge so I had to do my best,” Yuri answered as she ties her shoe laces. Yunho knelt down in front of her and folded her track pants up to her knee. Her silky smooth legs were now tainted with black and blue spots. “Here. Here. Here.” Yunho said as he pointed and pressed on each of her bruise. “Are you sure you want to do the death spirals. What’s next after the bruises? Broken bones?” Yunho continued. “And so? You’re not the one who’s getting hurt! This is a sport so I expect injuries. I’m still thankful it’s still not as grave as sprains or whatsoever,” Yuri answered defensively as she unfolds her pants. Yuri stood up and slung her sports bag on her shoulder. But I don’t want to see you hurt. I’d be wouldn’t forgive myself if something bad happens to you. She headed towards the door when Yunho held her hands, “Yadongsshi, let’s date. Next week Wednesday. That’s two days before our performance. I’ll see you at Boramae Park at 3:00 p.m. Ok! You can’t say no!” Yunho left quickly as he was too shy to find out Yuri’s reaction. Yuri, on the other hand, was about to object. However, it was too late since Yunho dashed off already.

 

No one dared to bring up the topic of dating especially Yuri who thought that it was just a lame joke and soon, Yunho will just forget about it. However the day before their “date,” Yunho reminded her. “Yadongsshi, don’t forget our date tomorrow at Boramae Park. It’s a picnic and you’re assigned to bring food. Wear something appropriate. We’ll meet at the big circle there made out of coloured tiles. Be there or else you’ll hear in the blind items: ‘A famous idol got stood up on a date. Who could that thick-faced girl could be?’ Ok! Bye.” Once again, Yunho left as soon as he said the details of the date. How can Yuri say no?

-----

 

Yuri panicked. She has never been to a date before. “What to do? What to do?” She immediately looked for the nearest phone booth and dialed Boa’s mobile number. “Unnie! I need your help badly,” Yuri’s voice sound very worried. “What is it? You sound so desperate,” Boa asked as she know her sister too well especially when she has problems. “Unnie, what do girls wear on a date?” Boa laughed on the other line as Yuri pouted cutely out of pity to herself.

 “Seriously, do you think you’ll be able to find clothes for dating here in your closet?” Boa doubted as she picked up Yuri’s track pants, jackets, and loose shirts from the heap of clothes on her bed. “Will this one do?” Yuri asked as she shows her sister a baby tee with a cartoon print paired with an elephant-styled jeans. Boa snorted, “Yuriah, that is so you! But I’m sorry to say that we’re in 2011 already and not late 90s. Hold on there, I’d like you to try something.” Yuri went to her bathroom to take out her shirt and sat on the toilet bowl as she waited for Boa. After a while, Boa knocked on the door and playfully tossed to her face. “Yah! What’s this? A blouse? Where‘s the pants to go with this?” “You asked my help so just put it on,” Boa answered. Soon after that, Yuri went out. The white dress was plain and simple yet it reveals her assets. The black belt accentuates her whittled waist and firm backside. The butterfly sleeves takes the shape of her perfectly-toned arms while the length of the dress that runs until her mid thigh reveals her long legs. “You need this too!” Boa reaches out to her a pair of gold and white gladiator sandals. “Unnie, are you sure girls really wear this on dates? Are you sure I don’t need pants to go with this? Are you sure I can walk with these on?” Yuri’s endless questions were just starting to barge Boa so she hugged her to shut Yuri up. “Yuriah! You look perfect. I’m so happy that you’ve matured and now you’re trying out dating. Whoever he is I’m sure he’ll like you more,” Boa told her with excitement. Yuri lightly broke the embrace and frowned at her, “Unnie, it’s nothing like that. None of us is serious about this. He just owed me lunch, that’s all.” I’d like to believe it’s just a simple picnic but I don’t know why a part of me wishes it’s really more than that. Wait, what was I thinking?

 -----

The dancers were awoken late in the morning by scent of the food coming from the kitchen. They dragged their feetand scratched their stomach towards the place where the clinking and clanking of ladle and pan was coming from. “Seobangsshi, it seems our brunch today is extra special. What’s the occasion? Is it your birthday?” Jaewoon asked as he sat on the chair behind the breakfast counter. “Nope, Hyung. This is not intended for you though I’ll save you guys some. I have a special something going on later that’s why I’m doing this,” Yuri replied as she carefully arranges the food and side dishes on lunchboxes. “Here you go… the rest you could have it. I have to take a shower already,” Yuri said as she finished wrapping the lunchboxes in a traditional cloth (guess what… she used pink!).

After an hour, Yuri went out from her room wearing her white dress. Her hyungs choked in awe because of the goddess before them. Her hair was worn down with big waves at the end and her face has a bit of powder and lip gloss on her lips. They all dropped their chopsticks and gathered around her. “Hyung, is there something wrong with the food? Just tell mo so I’ll just throw the lunchbox and buy fast food” Yuri asked innocently. “Nope. But is there something wrong with you? You’re obviously not in your usual self,” Jaewoon asked as they look at her from head to toe. By their looks, she realized that they might be puzzled on why she suddenly turned so feminine. “Ah! This??? I know it don’t give justice to this poor clothes but don’t worry, this is just one time, big time. This will never happen again. Just pretend this is just the worst nightmare to all of us. Araso?” Yuri said as she puts on her high-heeled shoes and struggles to get up with it on. “That’s not what we meant actually. It’s just that we wanted to have a picture with you since you look specially dashing today. We just feel honored that as if we have an idol in our house,” another dancer answered. Jaewoon set-up the tripod as the other members fought over who will sit beside Yuri on the couch. They all smiled in the camera like a one big happy family and bid Yuri good luck to don’t-know-why-she-dressed-like-that reason afterwards.

-----

Yunho has dated before and he admits that he always felt confident going on them. He knew he was popular and good-looking and there’s no way in hell that he’d turn off ladies who are head-over-heels in love with even before the date itself. This time is different though. He’ll be going out with a girl who doesn’t even show signs of liking him. Rather, it’s the first time he’s going out with a girl who showed the least signs of femininity or vanity. He’s feeling butterflies flattering in his stomach for the first time as he waited for the flowers, he especially hand-picked, to be wrapped into a bouquet.

 

Before heading to Boramae Park, Yunho decided to pass by SME building to meet his manager to ask him give him a week off after the final round of Kiss and Cry. He may not like to admit it but Seobang’s presence has grown into him and he wanted more time with her, neither as a dancer nor a skater, but just as themselves. Wait, what was I thinking? I’m going ahead of the situation when I don’t even know how this date will go. Nevertheless, he went on with his plan. He brought the bouquets down with him as he was afraid that it would wilt. Seobang would surely throw it in his face first, for giving her flowers; second, for giving her such a lame one.

Yunho went to his manager’s office however, he found out from his secretary that his manager is currently watching the SNSD’s recording of Diamond. Yunho headed to the recording booth and talked to his manager. On his way out, Tiffany just finished singing her part and surprised him with a hug. “Yunnie, I miss you! I thought you’re mad at me for turning down you’re invitation to skate with you. Apparently, you’re not and you even brought flowers for me,” Tiffany assumed as she took the bouquet from Yunho’s grip. Yunho could only scratch his head for he doesn’t know how to tell her that it was meant for someone else. “Oppa, are you going to ask me out? This time, I’d definitely say, yes.” Tiffany wrapped her arm to Yunho’s. I still have an hour to spare. Being a gentleman, Yunho opened the door for her. To their surprise, a herd of media swarmed them.

-----

Waaah! I hate people who don’t come on time.The hour turned into hours until the sky turned dark and the lone moon has risen already. Yuri waited patiently. How can she be hot-headed on her first date? At first, she was still able to find simple past times activities like checking the lunch box once in a while making sure the food isn’t spoiled yet and releasing her feet from the 3-inch high shoes so she could walk around the circle of coloured tiles barefoot. But people can only wait so much. She watched people come and go. The sight of happy families and lovers walking hand in hand has already disappeared in the park. It has already gotten into Yuri that Yunho might have just tricked her into going there. How can I be so blind to see it? How can I lead myself to believe that idiot is sincere? He’s an idol after all. Which famous personality would dare go out with a mere employee, an ordinary person. Yuri held onto her chest as she felt her heart sank into depression. She’s not certain whether it’s her pride that’s breaking or her heart. She decided it was the latter as she open her hand and catch the tears flowing uncontrollably from her eyes. Soon, lights from the floor lit and drops of water started coming from everywhere. She realized she was in the middle of a floor fountain. The least Yuri can do for herself is laugh at herself for being an idiot as she get drenched. Yuriah, you’re the one who got stood up.

-----

Yuri dragged herself towards her room as her clothes dripped and her shoes squelched with fountain water. She was glad to find her hyungs cramped in the living room, like the usual, watching news. At least they wouldn’t ask much about her epic fail date. “Seobangsshi, hurry, come here! It’s a news about boss. He’s already going out with Tiffany. They’re a perfect couple, what do you think?” Jaewoon remarked. Yuri glanced at the TV screen and found Tifanny’s hand s in Yunho’s, both are smiling ear to ear. Yes, they look good together. Such a ‘perfect’ sight to end the bad day.  Before, the others could turn to her and ask about her where about, Yuri had already gone into her room and silently soaked her pillow with tears and bitterness.