The Bug Catcher and the Bug Collector

Yuri 1/2

The earth was still and quiet. The breeze was fresh and cool and the scent of wild flowers surrounded them- it was a perfect day for bug catching. Yuri and Yesung were on their fours with only a pace in between them. The orange bug with black spots will be the last insect they need for the day's collection. The bug sat lazily on the yellow petal while Yuri and Yesung's eyes were glued on it take. The wind blew strongly against the huge patch of flowers forcing the bug to move out from its place. As the bug flew, Yuri leaped forward with her arm stretched to grab the insect in mid-air. Yesung took off the cork from a small glass tube and Yuri gently put little insect inside it. The two sat side by side and opened their book of insects. While Yuri was busy scanning the book to look for the bug's name, Yesung busied himself in studying the face of the woman beside him.

 

It has already been a year since Yuri's ice skating accident and Yesung wondered whether she had fully recovered physically and emotionally. The wind blew and the tips Yuri's hair gently touched Yesung face. He liked her ever since he saw her. Her cherry scented hair, her infectious smile, and her kind eyes. More than her physical attributes, he had learned to love her more because of bright personality.  She's always positive and happy, but he wondered whether her smiles are genuine. She neither wanted to dance nor to skate anymore. How can she be happy if in just a snap of her fingers, she has buried everything behind: her passion, her sport, her identity as Seobang, and all the people whom Seobang met.

 

"Yuriah, are you happy?" Yesung asked. Yuri raised her eyebrow, “What kind of question is that, Oppa? Of course I am enjoying. This is the last ladybug we needed to complete your collection.” Yesung laughed at her reply, “Pabo! I mean are you happy in general? Don’t you miss dancing or skating? It’s been a year since you’ve done that.” Yuri looked up in the sky. She missed dancing. She missed skating. She missed Jung Yunho bossing around. She missed Jung Yunho being boastful. She missed Jung Yunho’s small eyes and bright smile. She missed Jung Yunho so much. Yesung watched Yuri smile as she recalled her past. She doesn’t need to answer Yesung’s question. With that smile on her face, he knew that there will always be an empty place in her heart that only the things she left behind can fill.

-----

 

Yesung smiled as he stared at the toy cockroach he got from Yuri. It was the first prank she pulled since he met her. He recalled how upset she was that he didn't freak out upon seeing the bug on his car seat.  Yuri just laughed it out later on when she found out that they shared the same fascination in bugs so definitely, Yesung would be the wrong person to pull that trick on. It was the first time Yesung saw her smile again after the accident. Each day, he'd put an effort into making her smile. He tried break dancing, wearing a funny hat while having their coffee, or singing for her.

 

Yesung has decided that this is what he wanted to do for the rest of his life - make Yuri happy. Yesung went down from his car and heard the sweet sound of violin coming from Yuri's house. Yuriah, let me in your heart and I promise to make you the smile each and every day. Yesung was greeted by the butler at the gate and led him to Kwon family's music room where Yuri was. Yuri stopped playing the violin and put her arms around Yesung as soon as she realized he was there. "Oppa, did I forget something? Do we have bug catching or coffee date that I missed out?" Yesung gave her the bouquet of lilies and tulips and smiled shyly at her, "We're not going out today. I just drop by to ask you something?" "What is it, Oppa.?" Yuri asked.

 

Yesung cleared his throat. He had never felt nervous in his entire life. "Yuriah, can I... Can I... Can I be your man and love you for eternity?" "Can I?" Yuri echoed him. " Yesung closed his eyes and took a deep breath before telling her, "Can I invite you to play violin on my birthday concert?" Yuri burst into laughter until tears were starting to form in the corners of her eyes. "What's wrong?" Yesung gave her a puzzle look. "I thought… hahaha… I thought you're going to confess. I was already preparing to kick you out of the house. Hahaha. By the way oppa, of course I'd love to make music with the best vocalist in Korea. How could I say no to my best friend?"

 

Right. Best friend.