Turning Tables

Yuri 1/2

It was already past 10 in the evening when Yunho finished was his coffee turned dinner date with Tiffany. He doesn’t care if Tiffany noticed him glancing on his watch once in a while or whether he was spacing out while she was telling her story. He was just worried about Yuri. As soon as he sent Tiffany home, he drove straight to the flower shop he has been too this morning. The neon sign outside the store was already “Ajusshi, can I have some flowers similar to those I bought this morning?” Yunho asked as he panted. “Another bouquet for Ms. Tifanny Hwang? Sorry but I’m already closed shop,” the man replied to him. “Ajusshi, I’m begging you. I’ll get whatever flowers you have for whatever price. And by the way, just to clarify the news, the flowers I bought this morning and the one I’ll be buying now is not for her,” Yunho sounded desperate as he tries to save himself to the truth. “All that’s left are the angel’s breath. I hope it’s fine with you.”

 

Yunho reached the Boramae Park when it’s was about to closed. Definitely, the park was empty and already poorly-lit. He went around the biggest fountain in the park where they should have met 9 hours ago. Of course, Yuri’s not there anymore. There were no signs of Seobang except for the pink cloth wrapping something he cannot fathom. Yunho braved the water coming from the fountain. He was pretty sure Yuri suffered more. When he reached the middle of the fountain he carefully opened the pink cloth. Inside he found two lunchboxes and a blue sticky note wrapped in clear plastic that said: “The food has already gone cold. Sorry, I cannot wait for you anymore.” Like Seobang, Yunho dragged himself out of the fountain with the lunchboxes on one hand and the angel’s breath bouquet on the other. He sat by the fountain and opened one of the lunch boxes. It made him smile knowing that Yuri can also be domesticated at times. He feels sorry though that he missed the date… that he missed Yuri.

 

-----

 

The next day, Yuri went early to Lotte World to practice the routine by herself. Cross that out, she didn’t really practice. She just repeatedly crisscrossed the ice skating rink as fast as she could until her heart burned in exhaustion. She laid herself down on ice trying to catch her breath while watching white clouds of air coming out from . She then yelled, “Waaaaah!!! You’re stupid Yuriah! Stupid! Stupi d! Stupid!” Tears replaced her anger, “I made a mistake of trusting you. I made a mistake of liking you this much, Jung Yunho.”

 

Meanwhile, Yunho thought of coming to their skating rehearsal early and bringing breakfast to make up for his tardiness the other night. However, Seobang didn’t show up. Coach Kim was once again breathing out fire and just gave up waiting for her after an hour. Yunho never lost hope. He went to the dancer’s apartment, intending to woo her. He was greeted by the panicky dancers who were obviously wanted to stayed in bed longer. “Is Seobangsshi here or she left for the rehearsal already?” Yunho asked as he was served with coffee by Jaewoon in the dining area. “She’s not in her room anymore,” Jaewoon replied. “Ow…” Yunho replied softly when suddenly he stood up as something caught his eyes. It was a framed photo of the dancers taken in the apartment. And there in the middle, sat Seobangsshi with the lunch boxes on her lap. She looked like a goddess in that white dress, locks let down loose, and with that magnetic smile of hers. Jaewoon watched Yunho got mesmerize at the photo and proudly told him, “Boss, our Seobangsshi’s unbelievably hot yesterday. You could have seen her. I bet her date drooled just by the sight of her.” The dancers all nod in agreement and started making up what-could-have-happen-to- her-date scenarios. Yunho, on the other hand, was in deep thought. Yes, I could have seen her.

 

-----

 

 The next morning, Yunho received a lot of good luck messages from his friends in SM. None of it comforted him though. First, he wasn’t sure if Yuri’s going to show up and second, he wasn’t sure if they could skate flawlessly given the emotions they are holding. He went to the dressing room and found Seobang receiving final instructions from the coach. Yunho was star-strucked with how professional and classy Yuri looked. Her hair was tied neatly in a ponytailwith a silver band crisscrossing her locks to avoid it from getting into her face. Her white halter top was embellished with silver sequins and Swarovski that were concentrated on the side emphasizing her slim waist all the more. The cut behind her top runs low enough to see her y back and high enough to cover her backside. To go with it she wore a bias cut overskirt that was neither long nor skimpy but enough to flaunt her long shapely legs behind her tights. She looked liked an Olympian goddess walking on earth. Something was missing though.

 

Yuri turned to him and acknowledged her by bowing at him. “Good morning, Boss.” Yunho knew that Yuri was still upset with the sudden use of honorific. Yunho bowed back and looked at her straight in the eyes. She reciprocated the look but instead of looking at his eyes, she looked THROUGH his eyes as if they were windows to another world and not his. Yunho then turned to their coach and asked him, “Coach Kim, could you give us a second?” Coach Kim closed the door behind him while Yunho prepared himself to trouble.  “Seobangsshi, about our date…” Yunho was cut-off when they were called by the PD noona to get themselves ready by the rink. Yuri gave a sigh of relief as she was able to dodge the topic. When the PD noona left, Yuri gave him a weak smile and said, “Let’s do our best on ice, Boss.” “Seriously, are you that upset because of the date? It was just a date!” Yunho finally snapped in Yuri’s unusual behavior and silent treatment. Yuri gave out a sad smile with her eyes starting to fill up with water, “You’re right. It was JUST a date.”That day meant a lot to me. I would have given you my heart if you asked for it that day but you’ve ruin your chance and the chances of all the other guys who would have liked me.

 

Yunho and Yuri silently walked side by side until they reached the rink. “Jung Yunho, I don’t want to argue with you anymore. Maybe it happened that way because THIS was not meant for us. Let’s finish this competition well. Let’s end THIS well.” Yunho knew what she meant and he felt his heart touched by the cold hand of sadness. The crowd became faceless and the sound of their hearts played a sad melody as they looked at each other. Yuri held his hand and leaned close to him. Yunho closed his eyes and leaned forward, anticipating her warm wet lips. She kissed him. A tear fell on Yunho’s eye because he knew it meant goodbye.

 

-----                                                                                                                                                                 

 

The spotlight was on Yunho and Yuri. Yunho’s was standing close behind Yuri, his arms were s her waist while his head was leaning on hers. Yuri, on the other hand, was holding his hands (as if to escape from his embrace) and her eyes were sadly staring below.

 

Close enough to start a war
All that I have is on the floor
God only knows what we're fighting for
All that I say, you always say more


I can't keep up with your turning tables 
Under your thumb, I can't breathe


So I won't let you close enough to hurt me
No, I won't ask you, you to just desert me
I can’t give you, what you think you gave me
It's time to say goodbye to turning tables
To turning tables

 

Yunho and Yuri’s body leaned onto each other. Their faces were so close that they could hear each other’s breathing. They pressed their palms against each other and pushed each other away giving them enough force to their skates on ice. They skated facing each other as if they are facing a mirror. Not only their hands and feet moved as one but also their hearts. They skated, turned, and jumped in synchrony.


Next time I'll be braver
I'll be my own savior
And if I'm the cause for me
Next time I'll be braver
I'll be my own savior

Yuri and Yunho skated in unison around the ice to gain speed. When they reached the center of the ice, they held each others’ hands and started the death spiral.  Yunho slowly bent down as he stretched his left leg and use his right ice skates peak as the turning point.  Yuri on the other hand, glided slightly to the left until her body is parallel with the ice. She raised her free leg and fully extended it to the rear above the hip level. Towards the end of the bridge, Yuri started changing from backward outside edge into forward inside edge. Yunho suddenly got nervous. This is it. He could neither hear the background music nor the crowd cheering. He could only hear the sound of the ice skates scratching the ice and his heart thumping in fear.  Yunho added speed and continued in a spiral pattern around the ice. Yunho let go of Yuri’s hand, throwing her in mid-air. Yuri spun with her free leg tucked in front of her and waited for her landing. Yunho nervously watched and waited for Yuri’s landing that he forgot that he had to catch her… he forgot that each second is detrimental not only for their routine but also for Yuri’s safety. As soon as he realized that he was day dreaming, he immediately skated towards Yuri.

Yunho could have realized that earlier for he was a few seconds late. When he arrived, Yuri landed on ice already with her right foot. Yunho watched Yuri’s facial expression turned bitter as she was still bent on ice. Something’s wrong with her. She’s not standing. We missed 1 8s already, we had to do an adlib before we continue with the routine. When he finally reached her, he held her hand and helped her up.

-----

As Yuri spun in mid-air, he looked for Jung Yunho in where supposedly he was waiting for her landing. Where in the hell are you? Yuri closed her eyes and just told herself Jung Yunho, I trust you. She bent her right leg a little so that lessen the impact on ice and so that she won’t  break her leg. She finally landed on ice with her right foot as the radius and her free leg was stretched like a hand of a clock. But something was wrong. She felt a searing pain on her right leg and no matter how much she forced she use to bring herself up, she just couldn’t. Her mind and body said she had to stop skating already but her heart said she cannot bring failure to Yunho. In the midst of the battle between her heart and mind, Yuri saw Yunho offering his hand in front of her. He helped her up but she had to put so much effort so that Yunho wouldn’t realize that she is in pain. Yuri went on with the routine using her left leg which Yunho found very awkward.


I won't let you close enough to hurt me, no
I won't ask you, you to just desert me
I can’t give you, what you think you gave me
It's time to say goodbye to turning tables
To turning tables
Turning tables, yeah
Turning ohh

As soon as the music ended, everybody gave them a standing ovation. Stems of roses and stuff toys were thrown on ice. The people roared in cheers as Yunho and Yuri received their final score. They won! But Yunho didn’t feel like he did as the distance in between him and Yuri get farther and farther when people swarmed him to give their congratulations. Yunho, once again felt helpless as he can only watched Yuri disappear in the middle of the crowd.

-----

Yuri was grateful that Jung Yunho has lots of admirers and supporters that she was able to escape from him. She no longer needed to pretend that her leg was fine. She doesn’t want him to worry and she doesn’t like to be the cause of an issue for him. As soon as she was out of the auditorium, she limped her way to the empty hallway which she cannot recognize where it was headed to. The pain in her ankle got more severe though. Soon, she cannot support her right leg anymore leaving her no choice but to sit and drag her lower body with her hands. However, after a while, Yuri can no longer fight the pain. She started feeling giddy and cold beads of sweat started running all over her body. Yuriah, stop fighting the pain for someone who can’t fight for you.It’s time to give up. Having said that to herself, Yuri leaned by the wall and passed out.

-----

Yesung wondered where Yuri has gone to after the announcement of the winner. He wanted to congratulate her and give the flowers to her in person. He looked for her at the dressing room and scanned for her face in the bleachers but she was nowhere to be found. Yesung wanted to ask Yunho but there were too many people surrounding him that he cannot make his way to him. He left the auditorium, disappointed, that he wasn’t able to that she is already famous. He wanted to see her and talk to her once again. Amidst the celebration going on inside the stadium itself, its hallway remained quiet. Yesung was on his way to the exit when he found a familiar ice skate sticking out from an exit door opposite the female’s powder room. He run towards it and found Yuri, pale and unconscious. He does not frequent the gyms like the other SuJu members, but thank God to his adrenaline that he was able to carry Yuri to his car and rush her to the hospital.

When they reached the emergency room, Yuri got conscious and started screaming because of the pain. Yesung don’t know what to do. He doesn’t even know if she remembers him. What if she slaps him for having a stranger in times like this? When Yuri reached her ward, she is calmer though she was still holding her leg as she writhes in pain. Yesung watched as the doctor cut her tights. He doesn’t know why he felt pain as he saw black and blue spots on her sore leg. She worked too hard. The doctor pressed different parts of Yuri’s right leg until he reached the ankle. Yuri gave out a loud ‘Aaaaaa!”and almost punched Yesung in pain. Yesung could do nothing but hold her hand. Perhaps she just needed to know somebody’s with her. Yuri looked at him and smiled in relief.  “Oppa,” were Yuri’s last word before she went back to dreamland and stayed their for a day and a half.

-----

Yesung was on his way back to Yuri’s ward when he overheard Yuri and the doctor talking. Apparently, the ice skate accident caused her to have Achilles tendon rupture. She can either opt for an operation but will leave scar on her flawless leg or a cast which allows the tendon to heal naturally. Of course, Yuri chose the cast which she has to wear for 10 months and she has to attend therapies after that. However, there’s a catch. She can no longer do strenuous activities and that include the greatest loves of her life which is dancing and skating.

As soon as the doctor left, Yuri clenched her fist with the choice (actually, she had no choice) she made. She clenched her fist in disappointment and tears started welling up from her eyes. From that day on, Yesung swore that he wouldn’t let anyone make those tears fall from Yuri’s eyes anymore.

 

 

Credits to Adele for the song Turning Tables. I would also like to advertise my first Yunri one-shot story: The Substitute http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/117423/the-substitute-oneshot-tiffany-yunho-yuri